Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
Price's suggestion was for insurance companies would simply return to how they work before Obamacare. He also will be given a unprecedented level of influence as he'll control basically a slush fund for Medicaid.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

$200 a day, plus expenses

Hollismason posted:

Price's suggestion was for insurance companies would simply return to how they work before Obamacare. He also will be given a unprecedented level of influence as he'll control basically a slush fund for Medicaid.

Weren't they collapsing before Obamacare? From what I understood part of the point of the ACA was a massive bailout of the insurance industry

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Lightning Lord posted:

Weren't they collapsing before Obamacare? From what I understood part of the point of the ACA was a massive bailout of the insurance industry

Probably was some impending doom due to the boomer fucks getting older.

In regards to various Trump jars of piss in his cabinet: I don't really think you can assign a power ranking to them. They're all poo poo in various, different ways. Mattis is the only one you can assign a rank to, really.

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

Hollismason posted:

Price is a callous rear end in a top hat.

I know, I know, long-time republican representative from GA is callous, film at 11.

No, but seriously. This man is a doctor who took an oath to do no harm.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

FlamingLiberal posted:

It's not a bill.

The FCC chair, who basically doesn't think the FCC should have any authority, proposed changing the existing net neutrality rules, and when they do that they have to open it to public comment. However, that is usually a formality. There is no chance that the current FCC chair will reverse his stance on this. He has been waiting for this opportunity ever since the pro-net neutrality rules went into place.
That's funny I thought this was the same chair elected 2 or so years ago heavily in favor of net neutrality.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
This is pretty much the best article on Obamacare's impact over time

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2016/10/31/upshot/up-uninsured-2016.html

Guess what the states with the highest uninsured rates are the most against Obamacare . Why? Because they didn't get health insurance.

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

Grouchio posted:

That's funny I thought this was the same chair elected 2 or so years ago heavily in favor of net neutrality.

No, the FCC changes makeup with every new president. Tom Wheeler was Obama's guy, Ajit Pai is Trump's.

Telephones
Apr 28, 2013
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sh6RgsHbO6k
That persona he tries to cultivate is so unwelcome! Ever see a closeup? The man looks like spongebob (long lashes, big smile, an IM READY kind of attitude).

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

Telephones posted:

That persona he tries to cultivate is so unwelcome! Ever see a closeup? The man looks like spongebob (long lashes, big smile, an IM READY kind of attitude).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rBA6rht6p6E

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

I wonder if the man absorbed the protests for net neutrality

Like a sponge.

Sneakster
Jul 13, 2017

by R. Guyovich

Classtoise posted:

Does it speak worse of me or them that I legitimately don't know if the time traveler thing was one crazy idiot being egged on by trolls, all crazy idiots, or all trolls egging each other on thinking they're the only one who "gets" it?
You, because you managed to actually read all of it.

Lightning Lord posted:

Costs increasingly exponentially, wide spread lack of coverage, and medical bills the cause of most bankruptcy's. Its insane how most Americans view of public healthcare rivals a brainwashed North Koreans idea of political freedom. The internet has given enough exposure that I think the brazen insane lies that informed most peoples views are on the wane, but its so jarring to see in the year 2017 comments where people in functioning first world countries comments how completely insane the American healthcare system is, like its just normal for people to walk around without health insurance, and then the inevitable homely boomer says they're lying and they know the truth of about socialized medicine gulags needing 15 years to prescription glasses.

Now the people left in the market are getting older and sicker. Diabetes is an epidemic and it brings with it a ton of downstream complications (including 90% of all amputations, even accounting for war, birth defect, and accidents). We're roughly a decade out before most boomers hit the age that even healthy people get sick at. The healthcare system is completely and utterly hosed. The boomer's parting gift will be destroying the country they spent their lives embezzling.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

Party Plane Jones posted:

Every single member of this administration is just a cavernous rear end in a top hat rivaling Charybdis; about the only cabinet member who isn't a prick is the head of the VA that transferred from the Obama admin. Even Mattis isn't immune from being a piece of poo poo on occasion.

Mattis is a bloodthirsty war criminal but he's at least competent and not slobbering on Cheeto Benito's shriveled dick. He's lovely more often than not but that's better than most of Trump's cabinet.

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

Telephones posted:

When I think of the word "gormless", this motherfucker's face surrounds me in spherical panorama

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

Chard posted:

When I think of the word "gormless", this motherfucker's face surrounds me in spherical panorama

A Dyson Sphere of Pai construct.

Buillions and Buillions of Pai's.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Pellisworth posted:

Mattis is a bloodthirsty war criminal but he's at least competent and not slobbering on Cheeto Benito's shriveled dick. He's lovely more often than not but that's better than most of Trump's cabinet.

A neat, fiberus pile of poo poo looks great next to a bucket of diarrhea poo poo-piss, if you will.

Hastings
Dec 30, 2008

Sure would be awkward if the neurosurgeon made a whoopsie and cut too close to the frontal lobe. Crossing my fingers that the outcome would result less in McCain being a drooling, raving racist and more that he would become a real fun loving guy who all of a sudden woke from his republican slumber.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

Mustached Demon posted:

A neat, fiberus pile of poo poo looks great next to a bucket of diarrhea poo poo-piss, if you will.

to give credit where due, I think Mattis is one of the few powerful people in Trump's orbit that would stand up to him. maybe Tillerson or McMasters.

other than Bannon and Jared, but they're too busy stabbing each other in the back trying to become shadow President while Trump combs his luxurious blond locks and dictates tweets on the toilet

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Mattis is a civilian-killing machine but he's at least a true patriot in it for America rather than gop/self interests.

Skellybones
May 31, 2011

Fun Shoe
He might just really like killing AND he got a job where he was paid to do it.

Post 9-11 User
Apr 14, 2010
Trump tweeted a couple times about sports, watched Game Of Thrones, then farted this out:

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/886743367815766021

His attention span seems to have abandoned the health care debate.

Time travel, you say?

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/washingtonpost/status/886714701102665728

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

FlamingLiberal posted:

It's not a bill.

The FCC chair, who basically doesn't think the FCC should have any authority, proposed changing the existing net neutrality rules, and when they do that they have to open it to public comment. However, that is usually a formality. There is no chance that the current FCC chair will reverse his stance on this. He has been waiting for this opportunity ever since the pro-net neutrality rules went into place.

The FCC guy was put in place to get rid of net neutrality. It's like Tom Price and gutting healthcare or Betsy DeVos and gutting public education.

Congress could always pass a law to mandate net neutrality and remove that discretion from the FCC chair, but come on.

Gorelab
Dec 26, 2006

I'm honestly surprised how partisan net neutrality is. Usually when it's something that has big corporations on either side you get a lot more people who are basically deciding based on which ever side is the bigger donor or more important to their state's economy rather than hard core partisanship.

Kerning Chameleon
Apr 8, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Gorelab posted:

I'm honestly surprised how partisan net neutrality is. Usually when it's something that has big corporations on either side you get a lot more people who are basically deciding based on which ever side is the bigger donor or more important to their state's economy rather than hard core partisanship.

It wasn't until the Great Insanification of 2016-17 turned every single policy matter in politics into a life-and-death struggle for ideological supremacy.

Spaced God
Feb 8, 2014

All torment, trouble, wonder and amazement
Inhabits here: some heavenly power guide us
Out of this fearful country!

The only good thing to come out of the death of Net Neutrality is the death of this internet comedy forum seeing /pol/ and t_d lose its collective poo poo because the god emperor doesn't have their back when it comes to looking at anime tiddies.

I'd love to see it, but I don't wanna pay $10/month more to access reddit as part of the Advanced Social Media network package

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

Spaced God posted:

The only good thing to come out of the death of Net Neutrality is the death of this internet comedy forum seeing /pol/ and t_d lose its collective poo poo because the god emperor doesn't have their back when it comes to looking at anime tiddies.

I'd love to see it, but I don't wanna pay $10/month more to access reddit as part of the Advanced Social Media network package

They don't care. They think the death of net neutrality and the rebirth of the war against drugs are part of the price to pay to MAGA.

Throwing Turtles
May 3, 2015

Gorelab posted:

The right wing media has been describing net neutrality as a modern day "fairness doctrine".

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

Throwing Turtles posted:

The right wing media has been describing net neutrality as a modern day "fairness doctrine".

The example RWM keeps throwing around is Google; that Google has been making money off of data selling and prioritization for years so why can't Comcast, the industrial giant who controls our infrastructure, make some extra dough on what you browse and pass the savings onto you, the consumer?

The fact that Comcast/Xfinity, Literally the Worst Company Ever(TM) will instantly use this to charge even more money for their already insane packages never seems to come up for some reason.

Kerning Chameleon
Apr 8, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Mendrian posted:

The example RWM keeps throwing around is Google; that Google has been making money off of data selling and prioritization for years so why can't Comcast, the industrial giant who controls our infrastructure, make some extra dough on what you browse and pass the savings onto you, the consumer?

The fact that Comcast/Xfinity, Literally the Worst Company Ever(TM) will instantly use this to charge even more money for their already insane packages never seems to come up for some reason.

When you tell libertarians that their ideal for getting the government out of, say, roads and transportation will probably result in literally every highway, street, and avenue becoming an separate, individually owned toll road, their reaction tends to boil down to "yeah, so?"

Not a surprise they consider that actually happening to the internet to be A Good Thing.

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010
Dumber than a sack of hammers.

http://www.politicususa.com/2017/07/16/america-week-falls-trump-reporter-asks-ivanka-trump-clothing.html

quote:

Made In America Week Falls Apart For Trump After Reporter Asks About Ivanka Trump Clothing

By Jason Easley on Sun, Jul 16th, 2017 at 3:09 pm

A White House spokesperson was touting Trump’s upcoming “Made In America” week, but when a reporter asked about Ivanka Trump’s made overseas clothing line, the White House clammed up and said, “We’ll get back to you on that.”

The report from the White House Press Pool as provided to PoliticusUSA:

Spokeswoman Helen Aguirre Ferre was asked whether the president would use “Made in America” week to push Ivanka Trump’s clothing line to produce products in America, rather than overseas. “We’ll get back to you on that,” she said.

It impossible for a president who makes his own products overseas, and whose family businesses also make their products overseas to be taken seriously as he is supposedly promoting made in America week, unless they mean made in America for everybody but the Trumps.

Trump is setting himself up for ridicule on a daily basis. This president lacks any sense of decency and self-awareness. Made In America week is already a total disaster because Donald Trump doesn’t expect people to point out that he and his kids don’t actually make their products in America.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

F_Shit_Fitzgerald posted:

There's so much schadenfreude in the fact that Obama spent eight years in office and could never fully convince the American people that the ACA was good policy. Then the Republicans win big, introduce a piece of poo poo bill with something like 17% approval, and suddenly most people love Obamacare. It just shows how unpopular most GOP ideas are to the people.

It wasn't a good deal. It was a bloated, expensive, overall pointless piece of legislation that was made with the assumption that all the concessions made to republicans that betrayed the central purpose of it would garner enough support so that it could survive past a democratic president. And, much like all of Obama's first term, expecting republicans (and lieberman who loving owed Obama his seniority for god's sake) to work with him blew up in his face. And then they went out of their way to cripple it every chance they got at the federal and state level.

It's not a good bill. It has a couple of good things in it, but it's mostly a handout to insurance industries and gets to an okay-not-great destination by the stupidest, least effective way possible.

And it's still better than returning to pre ACA insurance.

The biggest problem with getting rid of the ACA is the american health landscape has changed dramatically within the past 8 years. People are 8 years older, and there's a legitimate health crisis going on. You can't just cut medicaid (nursing homes), preexisting conditions, and rural health programs (opiate addiction) but that's what they're trying to do. It's lunacy.

But that doesn't mean the ACA is good.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

FizFashizzle posted:

It wasn't a good deal. It was a bloated, expensive, overall pointless piece of legislation that was made with the assumption that all the concessions made to republicans that betrayed the central purpose of it would garner enough support so that it could survive past a democratic president. And, much like all of Obama's first term, expecting republicans (and lieberman who loving owed Obama his seniority for god's sake) to work with him blew up in his face. And then they went out of their way to cripple it every chance they got at the federal and state level.

It's not a good bill. It has a couple of good things in it, but it's mostly a handout to insurance industries and gets to an okay-not-great destination by the stupidest, least effective way possible.

The biggest problem with getting rid of the ACA is the american health landscape has changed dramatically within the past 8 years. People are 8 years older, and there's a legitimate health crisis going on. You can't just cut medicaid (nursing homes), preexisting conditions, and rural health programs (opiate addiction) but that's what they're trying to do. It's lunacy.

And the fun part about the GOP trying to ditch the ACA Act is the fact that Insurers have straight up said they'll just have to start invalidating insurance plans if they do and have told them not to touch the ACA Act.

The couple of things the ACA Act DID achieve was: Pre-existing conditions coverage, and hobbling hollow insurance plans that didn't actually cover anything.

The GOP is really that dumb.

CommieGIR fucked around with this message at 12:32 on Jul 17, 2017

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

Maybe they're trying to collapse the economy/kill people on purpose. :tinfoil:

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

REMIND ME AGAIN HOW THE LITTLE HORSE-SHAPED ONES MOVE?

FizFashizzle posted:

loving laffo at the idea that the ACA is "overall pointless." Expensive, roundabout, hobbled by the unprecedented betrayal of the Republican Party, yes. But last I checked the point was to insure more people, and at that it succeeded. Might have let your rhetoric get away with you there.

Randbrick
Sep 28, 2002

Chilichimp posted:

Price is a callous rear end in a top hat.

I know, I know, long-time republican representative from GA is call4ous, film at 11.

No, but seriously. This man is a doctor who took an oath to do no harm.
There are as many kinds of doctors as there are lawyers, really. And a some of them are just grade aaa dunderheaded morons with bad ideas and worse personalities, just like lawyers. Some are smart and some are collosally dumb in that blithe child of privilege way you see from trust fund types in any white collar profession.

Nobody does dumb like nominally white collar types in career tracks that camouflage rote memorization as intelligence. Dumb doctors and dumb lawyers have sovereign citizen levels of global dumbness. I used to know solo practitioner lawyers and small practice doctors who had the exact tin foil health insurance for themselves that the aca outlawed. They were pissy as can be that Obama wouldn't let them get cheated anymore and even though you'd think they'd be professionally situated to grasp that they'd purchased trash and nothing, they would and could not grasp it.

Never underestimate the stupidity and cupidity of an educated rube. They're the building blocks of all grifts.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Quorum posted:

loving laffo at the idea that the ACA is "overall pointless." Expensive, roundabout, hobbled by the unprecedented betrayal of the Republican Party, yes. But last I checked the point was to insure more people, and at that it succeeded. Might have let your rhetoric get away with you there.

If you read all of my post before slamming yourself into the keyboard you'll see I said....just that!

But there are no shortage of people for whom the plan doesn't really work that well, and these people vote. Turned out raiding the middle class (and not the DNC donors) to pay for poor people to have healthcare doesn't work out too well. It didn't do much to control the massive cost drivers in healthcare, besides the obvious people getting older angle, because they had to get the doctors on board as well. And of course, the democrats all fled from it after it went into effect instead of defending it, so you have the state that had the largest increase in percentage covered (kentucky) vote it away.

The goal of healthcare should NOT be to insure more people; it should be getting rid of for profit insurance altogether. There are plenty of republican ideas to increase insurance coverage, and all of them are terrible. UHC is basically what obama ran on, it's what the country overwhelmingly wants (then and now) and it's not what we got. The ACA did increase insurance, and it was far better for the lower classes, but it wasn't built to last, and it was bloated and worthless for a large portion of the country.

Finally, it brought in an entire generation of politicians who got elected not by governing, but by screaming about how things aren't conservative enough, which brings me to...

CommieGIR posted:

And the fun part about the GOP trying to ditch the ACA Act is the fact that Insurers have straight up said they'll just have to start invalidating insurance plans if they do and have told them not to touch the ACA Act.

The couple of things the ACA Act DID achieve was: Pre-existing conditions coverage, and hobbling hollow insurance plans that didn't actually cover anything.

The GOP is really that dumb.

They're not dumb, they're just doing what they always did.

GOP problems right now are two fold.

1.) their bill is due. The billionaires and whatnot who fund their campaigns want their "tax reform," and they want it to be permanent. Not just something that will expire in ten years. And the only way to do this is to gut it from somewhere else, like medicaid. But you can't do that anymore, because the country has gotten a decade older since they last had any power. Medicaid is no longer what poor people use to get plastic surgery; it's what's keeping their parents in a nursing home.

2.) many of them figured the way to save their lives is to obstruct. with obama in office, it was fine because he could veto their nonsense. it doesn't work now that they're expected to govern. We haven't had an election yet but we'll see what happens in 18. Gotta look out for number 1, and gotta dance with the one that brought you.

All these guys know they're against the wall. They were horrified just like we were when Trump won the presidency.

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

REMIND ME AGAIN HOW THE LITTLE HORSE-SHAPED ONES MOVE?

FizFashizzle posted:

If you read all of my post before slamming yourself into the keyboard you'll see I said....just that!

Right, I just think you started your post off with some kind of over-the-top hyperbole that your later points didn't really back up. Whatever else the Affordable Care Act may have been, ultimately pointless it was not. If it had been, then there would be no problem with repealing it.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Quorum posted:

Right, I just think you started your post off with some kind of over-the-top hyperbole that your later points didn't really back up. Whatever else the Affordable Care Act may have been, ultimately pointless it was not. If it had been, then there would be no problem with repealing it.

the ACA directly led to complete control of republicans at basically every level of government, and we're on the precipice of healthcare becoming far worse than it was even at the lows of the bush administration, with medicaid being gutted to the lowest it's ever been.

This is because the act was bad, and the democrats ran and hid from it, allowing this to happen.

You're right, it's not pointless. It's something worse.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord
Obamacare gave the us the best health care system it ever had which also was objectively the worst health care of any first world country on the entire planet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kekekela
Oct 28, 2004

Quorum posted:

loving laffo

Thanks for the heads up, this really set the tone for the quality of the post which followed.

• Locked thread