Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Facebook Aunt posted:

Daily Mail being super classy and showing all the times an actor who has played the Doctor got naked. Mostly the new lady though. http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-4701602/Doctor-Jodie-Whittaker-seen-TOTALLY-NAKED-Smoke.html

quote:

First ever female Doctor Who Jodie Whittaker is seen TOTALLY NAKED and having sex on the stair

A woman.... having sex!?! :monocle:

Just utterly pathetic of the Daily Mail. I apologize for the redundancy of that statement.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Stabbatical posted:

Guess I'm more in line with Davison's view. It seems weird to me to enjoy good news specifically because it pisses off the right people, ranging from those who are a bit fuddy-duddy to even the outright nasty. It's just TV. Seems better to be happy about the news because they cast a good actress and things will be a fresher and newer.

I guess when "the right people" are the same people who've been making other peoples' lives miserable (at least the ones doing it intentionally or at least knowingly) for years and years, I can't begrudge anyone a little bit of "yes, in fact we ARE coming for every piece of popular media you enjoy, resistance is futile, YOUR FAVORITE TV AND MOVIE AND VIDEO GAME AND COMIC CHARACTERS WILL BE LIKE USZZZZZZ" schadenfreude.

coolusername
Aug 23, 2011

cooltitletext
So, a bunch of my friends (and me!) heard the news and have become really interested in the show. I've seen all of Nine when it came out, and some of Ten. A couple of my friends haven't seen anything at all. I was thinking of streaming s01e02 The end of the world, S02e04 The girl in the fireplace, s04e01 Partners in crime and s04e07 The unicorn and the wasp since those are ones I've seen before and liked.

What fun standalone episodes would you recommend from Eleven and Twelve's run?

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

deathbot posted:

So, a bunch of my friends (and me!) heard the news and have become really interested in the show. I've seen all of Nine when it came out, and some of Ten. A couple of my friends haven't seen anything at all. I was thinking of streaming s01e02 The end of the world, S02e04 The girl in the fireplace, s04e01 Partners in crime and s04e07 The unicorn and the wasp since those are ones I've seen before and liked.

I really really love The Rings of Akhaten. But I love it so much I'm not really sure if it's good or not. YMMV.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

deathbot posted:

The Lodger from season 5 is a ton of fun and almost entirely standalone. There's a couple of references to other episodes in there but if anything they should serve to whet the appetite for more. Same deal with The Doctor's Wife in season 6, which is great. The Day of the Doctor is a fantastic, complete celebration of the entire revival up to that point as well as 50 years of the show as a whole. It wraps up a core background element that had run through the entire revival though so I don't know how standalone it would be.

For season 8/Capaldi, I think Mummy on the Orient Express is brilliant though it is bookended with some wider season arc stuff, it's all pretty self explanatory though. For series 10, check out The Pilot, which is the first episode of the season and intended as a soft reboot of the series, and does that job pretty drat well.

These aren't necessarily the BEST episodes of each individual season (or else season 9's Heaven Sent would be on there, because holy gently caress that's an incredible episode) but they work well as standalones.

HopperUK posted:

I really really love The Rings of Akhaten. But I love it so much I'm not really sure if it's good or not. YMMV.

I didn't mention it because it often gets mixed reviews, but for my part I really enjoy that episode (and The Crimson Horror too, which is goofy fun)

Stabbatical
Sep 15, 2011

docbeard posted:

I guess when "the right people" are the same people who've been making other peoples' lives miserable (at least the ones doing it intentionally or at least knowingly) for years and years, I can't begrudge anyone a little bit of "yes, in fact we ARE coming for every piece of popular media you enjoy, resistance is futile, YOUR FAVORITE TV AND MOVIE AND VIDEO GAME AND COMIC CHARACTERS WILL BE LIKE USZZZZZZ" schadenfreude.

Yeah, I mean it's not totally beyond me. But it seems like a sentiment better suited to politics, conflict, and interpersonal competition rather than Saturday night TV.

I do also think that those who say that this is the straw that broke the camel's back for their viewing (like the Wendy Roberts in this article) are odd and I just feel pity for them.

The decision to cast Whittaker wasn't anything to do with anyone commenting on it online (unless they work on the show :v:). It's out of all of our hands and it's good because she's good at acting plus there may be a fresh(-ish) change of direction and new ideas. It's not good because it annoys wankers. Who cares what wankers think?

Maybe I'm a hypocrite though - that tweet with 'TARDIS full of bras' and 'Space has no need for PC' is pretty funny though. Who gets that worked up?

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
Don't forget The Eleventh Hour, which has a bit of arc stuff but is mainly bloody good fun, and A Christmas Carol

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

deathbot posted:

Eleventh Hour sets up the first season of Eleven so it's not entirely stand-alone but it's absolutely fantastic and one of the best intro episodes the show has done. It's the wrong time of year but The Christmas Carol is easily the best Christmas episode the show has done, and pretty good in its own right.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

2house2fly posted:

Don't forget The Eleventh Hour, which has a bit of arc stuff but is mainly bloody good fun, and A Christmas Carol

Yeah, I only left those out because Eleventh Hour ends on that little visual nod to further stuff to come, and Christmas Carol kind of relies on knowledge of the previous season in its set-up... but they are very minor things that I'm sure most people could easily figure out from context and they're not necessary to know to otherwise enjoy the story.

Doctor Spaceman posted:

The Christmas Carol is easily the best Christmas episode the show has done, and pretty good in its own right.

It's a toss-up between that one and Last Christmas for me, both were so good in very different ways.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
Yeah, Last Christmas is definitely not standalone or it'd be near the top of my list

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

I should rewatch Last Christmas some time because I really did not care for it when I first saw it.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

I'm gonna go out on a different limb and suggest Vincent and The Doctor as a great introduction to the show.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Blink is a stand alone that you can watch without ever having seen who and a perfect example of how good the show really can be. As others have said, the pilot is an episode explaining everything to people who have never seen the show before.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Senor Tron posted:

I'm gonna go out on a different limb and suggest Vincent and The Doctor as a great introduction to the show.

I was thinking about that but I couldn't remember how much Rory's absence affected the story. It's a great episode though.

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.
on the bright side the angry tweets about the new lady doctor clued me into the fact that I somehow missed Season 10 in its entirety because I never watch BBC America and never see ads for it

Thx gender warriors

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

docbeard posted:

:haw:

Autisanal Cheese
Nov 29, 2010

I knew there was going to be a great wailing and gnashing of teeth no matter what happened - can you imagine if we got Tennant 2.0? It'd be the same in reverse, though I suppose the outrage would be pretty much justified as opposed to knuckle-dragging misogynist reactionary bullshit. Twitter would probably be on fire for a good two weeks though.

I am SO glad it was not Kris loving Marshall. Man has about as much charm and talent as a dead slug.

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

Yeah Blink is great because its stand alone with one off new characters that the first time dw viewer can enjoy without feeling like fans know something they don't. and then you have these two zany adventurers run by at the end and you're like oh my there is more adventures to be had :)

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Stabbatical posted:

Yeah, I mean it's not totally beyond me. But it seems like a sentiment better suited to politics, conflict, and interpersonal competition rather than Saturday night TV.

Culture and politics are the same thing; they are both an expression of people's opinions, tastes and beliefs. When people demand that you 'keep politics out of it', what they actually mean is that the politics of their culture is just the way they like it and are trying to disingenuously force you to not challenge it.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Craptacular! posted:

I'm always weirded out by seeing a different actor playing a character as was played by a dead actor.

But those are the good Harry Potter movies.

Lampsacus posted:

Yeah Blink is great because its stand alone with one off new characters that the first time dw viewer can enjoy without feeling like fans know something they don't. and then you have these two zany adventurers run by at the end and you're like oh my there is more adventures to be had :)

It's obviously a great episode, but as your first episode of Doctor Who, I don't think it really works, because the Doctor is barely in it. So it doesn't really give you an idea of what the show is like. If anything, you could get invested in some characters you're never going to see again.

The Eleventh Hour should definitely be on the list if you're showing people their first episode of Doctor Who. It introduces the concept perfectly, gives you a window into, "This is who the Doctor is", and is also just a great episode.

This scene alone is a perfect, "This is what the show is about."

thrawn527 fucked around with this message at 13:20 on Jul 17, 2017

Forktoss
Feb 13, 2012

I'm OK, you're so-so
Colin is the best and wish he was my uncle

Stabbatical
Sep 15, 2011

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

Culture and politics are the same thing; they are both an expression of people's opinions, tastes and beliefs. When people demand that you 'keep politics out of it', what they actually mean is that the politics of their culture is just the way they like it and are trying to disingenuously force you to not challenge it.

Yeah, I used to think that too. I went off of the idea though. Culture follows material conditions and circumstance rather than the other way around. Not that art isn't political or can have political commentary (see Oxygen), but it's like a vitamin suppliment to the body politic rather than its food. But I don't want to get into a huge derail here.

There are many worse male potential doctors anyway. :v:

Stabbatical
Sep 15, 2011

Also Baker is totally right and cool.

toanoradian
May 31, 2011

The happiest waffligator

Colin Baker posted:

I have always found [the Doctor never being female] problematical

Now all I can think about is this from Doctor Who and the Pirates, Colin Baker's greatest achievement:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hIdDXQ2h1Pc

toanoradian fucked around with this message at 13:33 on Jul 17, 2017

Strawman
Feb 9, 2008

Tortuga means turtle, and that's me. I take my time but I always win.

Hopper posted:

I don't know why that seems so outrageous a stance.

It's not even a little bit outrageous, it's irrational and bigoted in an extremely bland way.

A more serious issue is what happens if the doctor has to lift something heavy or throw a rock far but only has girl muscles? Presumably she'll need a burly male companion to protect her now.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

I hope she just casually lifts some big dude up and out of her way at some point without even commenting on it :haw:

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Doctor Spaceman posted:

I was thinking about that but I couldn't remember how much Rory's absence affected the story. It's a great episode though.

Not much really, especially since Amy can't consciously remember Rory. All you really have to know is that she is deeply troubled by something that she can't figure out and the Doctor knows more than he is letting on to her.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Read the whole thing in his voice. Colin rules.

vegetables
Mar 10, 2012

Trevor Baxter has died. :(

Cruel Rose
May 27, 2010

saaave gotham~
come on~
DO IT, BATMAN
FUCKING BATMAN I FUCKING HATE YOU
Trevor Baxter's died. So long, Professor Litefoot.

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

I could be a revolutionary

Jerusalem posted:

Read the whole thing in his voice. Colin rules.

I read the whole thing in Christopher Biggins' voice ;)

toanoradian
May 31, 2011

The happiest waffligator
gently caress!!!

No lie, Jago&Litefoot is probably the Big Finish thing I listened that gives me the most joy. This is a very sad day. And now, probably like the War Doctor, the final series won't have proper closure.

On a lighter note, this is from Australia:
https://twitter.com/markhumphries/status/886890062486446080

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.
I don't know whether to laugh or cry: Dear Doctor, we regret to inform you that you are still legally a man.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
New Female Doctor needs to wear the most sparkly pink faerie dress for her first entire episode just to send those people into a rage fit about the "desecration" of their time lord manly man self insert mental fantasies.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

I'm listening to Death's Deal and loving Catherine Tate's impressions.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

Cruel Rose posted:

This is just terrible...I wanted to see him back in an episode of Modern Who like Chris Benjamin got to do a few years ago.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Cruel Rose posted:

That is very sad. He took such joy in his work that even listening to an interview with him about doing a Big Finish script could make you excited and make you laugh. RIP.

Buml0r
Sep 15, 2003

WIGGLE HE
I'm so excited about this, and I keep remembering how much I still have to wait to see. We've no idea what her costume will be -- will she have silly hair?? I hope so! Capaldi wasn't really the Doctor until his hair went all silly!

But the big thing that's on my mind is... NEW TARDIS INTERIOR. It's high time we had a new Tardis interior and I can't wait.

Buml0r fucked around with this message at 15:08 on Jul 17, 2017

vegetables
Mar 10, 2012

I did think that greater awareness of the stupid "you have to divorce your partner if you transition" rule might be one of the less obvious good things to come out of the Doctor becoming a woman.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Buml0r posted:

But the big thing that's on my mind is... NEW TARDIS INTERIOR. It's high time we had a new Tardis interior and I can't wait.

I hope she has the round things, I love the round things.

• Locked thread