Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

I can't believe they put off the vote on the ahca again, letting that bill fester in Congress is only going to hurt their already low chances of passing it. I guess this is pretty open signaling that they don't have the votes and never will.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

FizFashizzle posted:

Turned out raiding the middle class (and not the DNC donors) to pay for poor people to have healthcare doesn't work out too well.

How is raising taxes on the highest income bracket in order to subsidize plans for the lowest raiding the middle class?

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

Obamacare gave the us the best health care system it ever had which also was objectively the worst health care of any first world country on the entire planet.

Basically, it polished a turd. Sure, its shiny, but its still a turd.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Rex-Goliath posted:

How is raising taxes on the highest income bracket in order to subsidize plans for the lowest raiding the middle class?

For one thing it was mostly middle to lower middle class people who saw the most dramatic rise in premiums and deductibles.

Ogmius815
Aug 25, 2005
centrism is a hell of a drug

Actually the ACA was the best health care bill that could have passed and has helped quite a lot of people so sorry it doesn't measure up to your Christmas wish list but gently caress off morons.

Gorelab
Dec 26, 2006

Obamacare lowered the rate of increase in deductibles though. It should have had the public option but even as is it improved the American health care system by a decent amount.

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

$200 a day, plus expenses

Ogmius815 posted:

Actually the ACA was the best health care bill that could have passed and has helped quite a lot of people so sorry it doesn't measure up to your Christmas wish list but gently caress off morons.

lol @ UHC, something that is taken for granted in pretty much every other first world nation, being "a Christmas wish list"

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Ogmius815 posted:

No actually it is extremely bad and the worst health care system of any modern country on the entire planet by an extremely wide margin. It's better than what came before but don't get confused into thinking the US healthcare system is okay or even reasonable. Don't even get confused into thinking it's even a good or okay non-single payer system.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Ogmius815 posted:

A better bill could have passed if a few very specific things happened, such as Lieberman getting hit by a meteor or Kennedy not dying.

I don't think it was the best bill that "could have been passed" given that a public option passed the house and was killed in the Senate by specific people who deserve blame for that.

But it was an improvement. It was probably a better political strategy than it was an actual bill, because its structure was right-wing, so it drove the Republicans into a situation where they have no proposal to reform medical care, because the only available options are left-wing.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Actually they're now proposing a plan from the Gor series so.

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

CommieGIR posted:

And the fun part about the GOP trying to ditch the ACA Act is the fact that Insurers have straight up said they'll just have to start invalidating insurance plans if they do and have told them not to touch the ACA Act.

The couple of things the ACA Act DID achieve was: Pre-existing conditions coverage, and hobbling hollow insurance plans that didn't actually cover anything.

The GOP is really that dumb.

I too prefer the affordable care act act

Sneakster
Jul 13, 2017

by R. Guyovich
If I recall correctly, the first thing Obama said at the start of negotiations is that insurance profits wouldn't be compromised.

Ogmius815 posted:

Oh.

Sneakster fucked around with this message at 13:23 on Jul 17, 2017

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

FizFashizzle posted:

Actually they're now proposing a plan from the Gor series so.

One of the things I remember from that mock thread in LF many years ago is that on Gor they have vaccines that will provide eternal youth, but they're only for sex slaves and everyone else (men) just gets old and fat.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

I don't know, it's been a pretty big improvement to my family's quality of life to pay $38 a month for myself and two kids, for zero-deductible and low co-pay insurance, as opposed to...*checks online system* yes that would be $509 a month pre-tax from my available employer-based plan.

skeleton warrior
Nov 12, 2016

Obviously if we'd pushed left as hard as possible in 2009, the right-wing backlash in 2010 would have been minimized, furthermore

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

$200 a day, plus expenses

mdemone posted:

I don't know, it's been a pretty big improvement to my family's quality of life to pay $38 a month for myself and two kids, for zero-deductible and low co-pay insurance, as opposed to...*checks online system* yes that would be $509 a month pre-tax from my available employer-based plan.

What if you had to pay $0

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

Lightning Lord posted:

What if you had to pay $0

Then the moral fabric of America would be destroyed.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

There Bias Two posted:

Then the moral fabric of America would be destroyed.

So, two birds...

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

skeleton warrior posted:

Obviously if we'd pushed left as hard as possible in 2009, the right-wing backlash in 2010 would have been minimized, furthermore

"No way this could have been avoided" says only country on earth where this happens.

Ogmius815
Aug 25, 2005

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

A better bill could have passed if a few very specific things happened, such as Lieberman getting hit by a meteor or Kennedy not dying.

I don't think it was the best bill that "could have been passed" given that a public option passed the house and was killed in the Senate by specific people who deserve blame for that.

But it was an improvement. It was probably a better political strategy than it was an actual bill, because its structure was right-wing, so it drove the Republicans into a situation where they have no proposal to reform medical care, because the only available options are left-wing.

Okay. But Kennedy did die, and Lieberman was a senator, and Scott Brown won. So it was the best bill that could have passed.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Grapplejack posted:

I can't believe they put off the vote on the ahca again, letting that bill fester in Congress is only going to hurt their already low chances of passing it. I guess this is pretty open signaling that they don't have the votes and never will.
They don't have a choice now with McCain unable to be there. McConnell was going to request the motion to proceed like tomorrow but that's out the window.

Meanwhile Heller has still refused to say one way or another what he is going to do.

skylined!
Apr 6, 2012

THE DEM DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON
what's a monday without a perfect being the enemy of good, evolution v revolution, left not left enough, reality v fantasy debate

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

skylined! posted:

what's a monday without a perfect being the enemy of good, evolution v revolution, left not left enough, reality v fantasy debate

Well the fat bitch refuses to tweet so this is what we have

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

MAKE THE TWEET YOU FAT BITCH

skeleton warrior
Nov 12, 2016

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

"No way this could have been avoided" says only country on earth where this happens.

Yes, and for exactly the same reasons, you giant idiot, or do you think that if only Obama made the right speech in the right way, the part of America which shrieks about MUH RIGHTS and NO SOCIULISM would simply have faded away?

Edit: yes, lord, let the fat bitch tweet

skylined!
Apr 6, 2012

lordy i hope there's tweets

hitchensgoespop
Oct 22, 2008

Rex-Goliath posted:

MAKE THE TWEET YOU FAT BITCH

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Lightning Lord posted:

lol @ UHC, something that is taken for granted in pretty much every other first world nation, being "a Christmas wish list"

It is if you don't, you know, completely ignore how American politics works, especially in 2010.

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

Completely off the topic of stupid news but where do you go for spooky science news these days since that's probably still your thing? It's always hard to find on SA, I even petitioned for a subforum for it once.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Good lord I am addicted to hating him. I hope this is some kind of Stockholm variation thing and will pass when he dies.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Ogmius815 posted:

Okay. But Kennedy did die, and Lieberman was a senator, and Scott Brown won. So it was the best bill that could have passed.

That's a truism though. You could say that about any bill, because the only way to know if a bill could have passed is if it actually passes. If the current monstrosity passes, it will also be the "best bill that could have passed."

Hell, I agree with you that Obamacare was a major improvement and saved many lives.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Dumb Lowtax posted:

Completely off the topic of stupid news but where do you go for spooky science news these days since that's probably still your thing? It's always hard to find on SA, I even petitioned for a subforum for it once.

I feel like youtube just has me on that. I don't even follow any specific channels or anything, I just watched that nonsense enough youtube's AI just figured out what to show me at some point. Like look at what my actual "recommended" panel is. It's exactly what you think it'd be

skylined!
Apr 6, 2012

https://twitter.com/juddlegum/status/886920717245321216

leopards, faces etc

Ogmius815
Aug 25, 2005

That's a truism though. You could say that about any bill, because the only way to know if a bill could have passed is if it actually passes. If the current monstrosity passes, it will also be the "best bill that could have passed."

Hell, I agree with you that Obamacare was a major improvement and saved many lives.

No actually that's wrong. We don't know it because it passed, we know it because the bill passed with not one drat vote to spare in the senate and the Democrats spent weeks and weeks working on getting those last few votes.

Randbrick
Sep 28, 2002
The really shocking thing about the ACA is not how good or bad it was, or how good or bad it has made the system. The real story is how utterly horrible the old system was. It was not so long ago you had parents with health insurance leave neonatal with babies who had already hit lifetime coverage gaps. It was not so long ago that having fibromyalgia was effectively a uniquely painful way to be paralyzed without recourse. It was not so long ago insurers could and would break your policy and pay you some premiums back if you contraced HIV, or cancer, or hepatitis a.

As with most social programs, the most shocking thing is how we lived before it, and that we allowed ourselves to live that way for so long for so little reason.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Ogmius815 posted:

No actually that's wrong. We don't know it because it passed, we know it because the bill passed with not one drat vote to spare in the senate and the Democrats spent weeks and weeks working on getting those last few votes.

ANother way to say this is "If even one or two more Senators had had a better moral compass, we'd have a better bill."

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

ANother way to say this is "If even one or two more Senators had had a better moral compass, we'd have a better bill."
Well that and the Dems' pointman on the bill was the biggest recipient of medical insurance company political donations, and his chief of staff (who had to write the bill) was a former healthcare lobbyist.

Randbrick
Sep 28, 2002
Pre ACA, the American health care system was an unjustifiable expensive grift, a sort of arcane medical Calvinism. It was a story written to humiliate the conscience. Now it's just bad and overpriced. Before, though, everyone went everyone by the grace of providence and too much money.

Ogmius815
Aug 25, 2005

Okay. Sure. If your aunt had balls she'd be your uncle. None of this does anything to show that calling the ACA pointless and criticizing it for not being more leftist is anything but tremendously ignorant. Which it is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Ogmius815 posted:

Okay. Sure. If your aunt had balls she'd be your uncle. None of this does anything to show that calling the ACA pointless and criticizing it for not being more leftist is anything but tremendously ignorant. Which it is.

It's not just "not leftist" it's objectively the worst system on earth https://www.commonwealthfund.org/interactives/2017/july/mirror-mirror/

That isn't obamas fault and it was worse before but it's objective that we have a bad healthcare system.

• Locked thread