Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

1500quidporsche posted:

I've heard rumours Jonathan Palmer is a oval office, is this true??

Yeah

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

1500quidporsche posted:

I've heard rumours Jonathan Palmer is a oval office, is this true??

I'm sure it's some car's fault somewhere.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
Kimi is pleased with podium

Only registered members can see post attachments!

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Leclerc is inching closer to a ride, methinks.

He'll either be at Haas or Sauber, depending if Honda stays with Sauber.

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE
Already preparing myself for the wall of 'Allo 'Allo jokes which I will be making

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE
I was pissing by your bwoah

There you can have that one for free

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

:allears:

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE
If nothing else, this weekend triggered good memories of Nurburgring 2005

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Look how bad the right is as well. gently caress

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Norns posted:

I think the right failed in the same manner as Kimi's left did. I'm guessing either he hit debris on the track or that lockup he had caused the more spectacular failure of the left.

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

SUCCHIAMI IL MIO CAZZO DA DIETRO, RANA RAGAZZO

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC
It's pretty impressive he was keeping the car on the track if the fronts had literally worn to the point of catastrophic failure.

Radiohead71
Sep 15, 2007

Noob fan here. Anyone going to the US Grand Prix? Are the races good to go to, or it is like an NFL game where you spend a ton of money and usually tell yourself "I should have stayed home and watched it on TV". What is the best way to learn more about the teams and drivers? I don't know too much about it except that I don't like the Mercedes team. Any good F1 boards?

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC
This is the most enlightened place on the Internet for F1 chat, as evidenced by the excellent avatars of various posters and consistently 5* opinions of track day bro!

To engage with the motorsport.com comments section requires some form of low level brain damage.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Radiohead71 posted:

Any good F1 boards?

You're on the best one available :discourse:

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Radiohead71 posted:

Noob fan here. Anyone going to the US Grand Prix? Are the races good to go to, or it is like an NFL game where you spend a ton of money and usually tell yourself "I should have stayed home and watched it on TV". What is the best way to learn more about the teams and drivers? I don't know too much about it except that I don't like the Mercedes team. Any good F1 boards?

You'll learn all you need to know about drivers in this very thread!

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Also OP I forgot about the Joe Saward comments section. The posts there are very informative and they hold the highest level of civilized discourse and honest F1 discussions.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Radiohead71 posted:

Mercedes at this point, to borrow from the NFL, is the Patriots. They figured out the best formula in the current rule set and are exploiting it to perfection (They haven't lost either the driver or constructor's championship since they moved to turbo V6 hybrids).

As for the rest of teams?

• Mercedes: As stated.
  • Ferrari: The long stalwart. Think like the Cowboys. Dominated in the 90s early 00s, disappeared for a bit, but are back. Massive, rabid fanbase, and looking for that big break to smug over.
  • Red Bull: Easily the third fiddle to Mercedes and Ferrari. Pretty good, but since they lost Vettel and the formula change haven't been able to reach the top again.
  • Force India: The scrappy midpack team that will put up a brilliant race, or absolutely suck if the drivers are fighting with each other.
  • Williams: The other old stalwart. Aggressively mediocre this year.
  • Haas: Newest team, surprisingly decent for their age. Pretty much Ferrari's B-Team.
  • Toro Ross: Red Bull's B-Team. Used as the spring board for Red Bull's new drivers to get a chance in an "slower" car to prove themselves in an F1 environment.
  • Renault: Aggressively forgetable. Expect them to show up in the points but no one gives a poo poo.
  • McLaren: Sort of the Packers? Usually at least competitive, and will occasionally strike gold. Lots of history. And then you have this season, which is their engine's fault.
  • Sauber: The Browns.

Someone else can do the drivers :effort:

iospace fucked around with this message at 17:14 on Jul 17, 2017

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

1500quidporsche posted:

Also OP I forgot about the Joe Saward comments section. The posts there are very informative and they hold the highest level of civilized discourse and honest F1 discussions.

lmfao

Joes Award posted:

GP+ is the fastest F1 magazine. It comes out before some of the F1 teams have even managed to get a press release out. It is an e-magazine that you can download and keep on your own devices and it works on computers, tablets and even smartphones. And it’s a magazine written by real F1 journalists not virtual wannabes… Our team has attended more than 2,000 Grands Prix between them. We’ve been around the block a few times and we know the history of the sport and we love to share it all with out readers at a price that is a real bargain. We believe that by attracting more people at a sensible price we can achieve so much more than all those who exploit the fans. In 2017 you’ll get 22 fabulous issues for £32.99, plus the 2016 season review completely free of charge.

What a loving hack shill.

GramCracker
Oct 8, 2005

beauty by stroll

Theophany posted:

It's pretty impressive he was keeping the car on the track if the fronts had literally worn to the point of catastrophic failure.

1500quid has skills, you're right

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

an actual comment thread on Joe's blog posted:

justin
Joe, do you get to see any of the support races? Is Leclerc the real deal?

Justin

Joe Saward
He looks good, but I think he has quite a car advantage too

Christian Lee
What does a car advantage mean in F2 Joe? Is it just set-up better than the competitors or do teams make some custom parts? Does the Ferrari connection mean they get help engineering and setting up the cars?

Joe Saward
Who knows

Good job he's a real F1 journalist and not one of those "virtual wannabes". :allears:

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Somebody called him out on the fact that he gives really stupid MOR two word responses that cop out on offering any real info and he wrote back like three paragraphs saying how he doesn't have the 8 hours a day needed to provide articulate responses back and he's doing this for the good of the fans, lmbo.

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
They will know who we are
Hard hitting journalism uploaded just hours after taking a poo poo he's very proud of!

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

1500quidporsche posted:

Somebody called him out on the fact that he gives really stupid MOR two word responses that cop out on offering any real info and he wrote back like three paragraphs saying how he doesn't have the 8 hours a day needed to provide articulate responses back and he's doing this for the good of the fans, lmbo.

This URL is particularly appropriate: https://joesaward.wordpress.com/what/

Given the following gem of an excerpt:

literally posted:

It is sad to relate, but many F1 websites are run by frauds; people who know nothing about the sport from the inside. They pretend to have inside information and would like to be involved, but in reality they know little more than their readers. So be aware that this is the norm. One of the reasons I write this blog is to counter this trend.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

*Consults her inside info*

I believe that Sauber is poo poo, but will be poised to make a run next season.

Into bankruptcy.

OhsH
Jan 12, 2008
*checks his insider info* 1500 to williams to replace Stroll who moves to mercedes to replace hamilton who goes to prison for murdering rosberg.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

*checks xir insider info* Renault on the cusp of competitiveness. Will be making a serious run next year by throwing piles of money at Alonso and Verstappen. Sainz to RB, Kvyat to nascar. Toro Rosso sold to Stephan GP with Giovanazzi and Rossi from motoGP, they still beat Sauber Honda. Big hulk to Ferrari, Vettel to Mercedes, Bottas to McLaren.

DoctorGonzo
Jul 25, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Iospace probated track day bro! posted images making fun of Sebastian Vettel and thinks that Scuderia Ferrari dominated in the ´90s?

What the gently caress is this poo poo?!?!?!?!

Also if sauber cant get the Honda they are done. Good ridance, bring back minardi

DoctorGonzo fucked around with this message at 16:57 on Jul 17, 2017

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

DoctorGonzo posted:

Iospace probated track day bro! posted images making fun of Sebastian Vettel and thinks that Scuderia Ferrari dominated in the ´90s?

What the gently caress is this poo poo?!?!?!?!

Also if sauber cant get the Honda they are done. Good ridance, bring back minardi

Imagine being a position where your only hope of staying in F1 is to beg for the shittiest engine package on the grid.

NtotheTC
Dec 31, 2007

Theophany posted:

Imagine being a position where your only hope of staying in F1 is to beg for the shittiest engine package on the grid.

I thought Honda pulled out of the deal?

Sauber to be running bin engines in 2018.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

Norns posted:

The rears are hosed too. Incredible that any driver could keep that on the track. Super Seb is clearly the moral winner of the British GP. Fraudulent British stewards handed the undeserved win to fraudulent British Lewis.

DoctorGonzo
Jul 25, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Theophany posted:

Also we have force india as the moral team to root for. Minardi was a poor team but they never were as pathetic as sauber.

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

NtotheTC posted:

I thought Honda pulled out of the deal?

Sauber to be running bin engines in 2018.

Yeah there was rumour of that, apparently because of the out-of-nowhere resignation of Monisha Kaltenborn I'm not sure anything was officially confirmed though?

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

DoctorGonzo posted:

Also we have force india as the moral team to root for. Minardi was a poor team but they never were as pathetic as sauber.

That and the faint hope of seeing the hilarious scene of Vijay Mallya being dragged out of the paddock in handcuffs on some tax evasion or fraud charges.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Sauber are on the brink of getting a works engine deal and turning it down. Bin team imho.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

DoctorGonzo posted:

thinks that Scuderia Ferrari dominated in the ´90s?

Like Schumi himself, I forget a lot of things these days. :downs:

DoctorGonzo
Jul 25, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

iospace posted:

Like Schumi himself, I forget a lot of things these days. :downs:

His story is pretty sad. After winning 5 titles with Scuderia Ferrari he ended forgotten and without memories of his past sucess. He shouldnt have drived for Mercedes.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

DoctorGonzo posted:

His story is pretty sad. After winning 5 titles with Scuderia Ferrari he ended forgotten and without memories of his past sucess. He shouldnt have drived for Mercedes.

About that...

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
Shouldn't have gone skiing is what he shouldn't have done

OhsH
Jan 12, 2008
Could say the same about Tony.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Mods please make a lion king cloud thing with pictures of Tony, Hefe and Wicka's avies. :rip:

• Locked thread