Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Crazy_BlackParrot
Feb 1, 2016

Christ Roberts is way better than toilet lord...
:gary: :lesnick: :yarg:
:pgabz: :fuzzknot: :eonwe:
:wtchris:
still waiting for this one

Also lol, how the game is literally going from mediocre to poo poo bad as you progress from 2014 to 2017.
Like poo poo used to look better then,

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich
Isn't this supposed to exist at this point?

E: This as in an actual game

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

A. Beaverhausen posted:

Isn't this supposed to exist at this point?

E: This as in an actual game

You're playing it right now.

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Spent my walletfull, on a jpeg, desolate, will croberts make a whale of me yet?

Hopper posted:

A real life friend of mine, who is a seasoned gamer in his late 30ies with 20+ years of gaming in his CV and who regularly plays all kinds of games actually defends CR. He only bought the Aurora starter pack, so I am not worried about his finances, but he refuses to accept any negative or cautious remarks on the game. When I mentioned the Couts&Crobbers deal and told him I was sceptical about that, he immediately told me "seems like you have been reading too much of those hater websites".

The scary part is I know for a fact he does not read SA or reddit, he is not active in any online communities...he only reads Gamestar. So apparently even minds isolated from the shillizens' brainwashing rhetoric can be infected with croberitis.
Needless to say, we don't talk about SC any more.

:sever:

xXAdmiralBekHarXx
Jul 11, 2017

by zen death robot
One of the guys in my guild says he likes SC so I casually mentioned that I post in the subreddit and people keep calling me Derek Smart.

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich
I keep waiting for the mass suicide when the feds bring croberts down but it hasn't happened yet.

Ramadu
Aug 25, 2004

2015 NFL MVP

xXAdmiralBekHarXx posted:

One of the guys in my guild says he likes SC so I casually mentioned that I post in the subreddit and people keep calling me Derek Smart.

why would that make you derek smart unless you meant something awful and said subreddit

xXAdmiralBekHarXx
Jul 11, 2017

by zen death robot

Ramadu posted:

why would that make you derek smart unless you meant something awful and said subreddit

If you post negative things on the subreddit you get called Derek smart a lot. Its really normal. I didn't tell him I was a goon I have to raid with that dude and hes a nice guy.

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Beet Wagon posted:

Maaaan, I just changed the thread title last night, and now you hand me gold like Star Citizen: Please enter the Slap Mill...

Unlike CIG, I'm pretty sure you are allowed to prepare future title releases ahead of time.

Lladre
Jun 28, 2011

Soiled Meat

Torquemada posted:

Also, lol at the "5-10 planets at release" mental gymnastics: you can safely predict 3 or 4 maximum, since they've never actually hit any target they've aimed at since the kickstarter.

I think you will find that they release with only one planet, and it's a gas giant so you can't actually land on it.

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Spent my walletfull, on a jpeg, desolate, will croberts make a whale of me yet?

lazorexplosion posted:

The mental gymnastics of 'sure they repeatedly said 100 planets at launch but that doesn't mean 100 planets at launch' is world-beating.
http://i.imgur.com/djx0UgO.gifv

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer
The Backer's Lament
Here we are, five years later.
Should have come so far, but still there's no alpha in sight.
Through this journey, money's been wasted
On coffee machines, space doors and tables.

There's no game, from the Croberts,
just motion capture, JPEGs and bugs.
There's no game, 'cause he wants a movie.
Show me the way, to refund my pledge.

Here we are, they claim I'm a hater
But I just laugh at paaarps and dancing cats full of rage.
So, have your beltdowns and quote Terms of Service.
I just want a way, to refund my pledge.

There's no game, from the Croberts,
just motion capture, JPEGs and bugs.
There's no game, 'cause he wants a movie.
Show me the way, to refund my pledge.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

It amazes me someone was able to 3D print something from CIG, when CIG has no idea what the final jpeg is going to look like.

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

This should be the entire OP lmao

MilesK
Nov 5, 2015

SelenicMartian posted:

Somebody should tell Chris that drinks may have ice in them, and that ice melts. Then show him the ice cubes in MGS2.

If they don't have meltable ice cubes, how the gently caress am I supposed to poison people with bad-ice?!

xXAdmiralBekHarXx
Jul 11, 2017

by zen death robot

Hangers been out for 3-4. Most large games simply don't have the sort of staying power SC has.

Dementropy
Aug 23, 2010

xXAdmiralBekHarXx
Jul 11, 2017

by zen death robot
Reminder that Touchdowntim55 got banned for 2 weeks for saying "yikes" in the schedule threads but guys like that can abuse the gently caress out of him, threadshit, and get nothing.

Also he got a warning from the mods that they'd be banned if they called anyone else a goon again. Ironic considering half the posts replying to him do just that.

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich
Why would you post on reddit

xXAdmiralBekHarXx
Jul 11, 2017

by zen death robot

A. Beaverhausen posted:

Why would you post on reddit

I'm bored at work. I'm always respectful of the citizenry.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
The only IRL person I talk to about Star Citizen is a buddy of mine who is a VR dev, he gets a monthly update off me and it's the best thing ever because he literally cries laughing on the phone

Virtual Captain
Feb 20, 2017

Archive Priest of the Stimperial Order

Star Citizen Good, in all things forevermore. Amen.
:pray:

Thanks. Added to the sheet as Highlight camera "We built a whole like we got a what we call a 'highlight camera' system"
It won't appear on the page till later on.

Adding a page of new responses to the twitter bot and a slight preference to using quotes.

mike12345
Jul 14, 2008

"Whether the Earth was created in 7 days, or 7 actual eras, I'm not sure we'll ever be able to answer that. It's one of the great mysteries."

D_Smart posted:

Man, those Germans really hate me, don't they? :bahgawd:

Star Citizen: Gamestar-Titelstory wird von Derek Smart auf Twitter kritisiert - "Urkomische Propaganda"

I can't even get Google Translate to work on that. It must be the usual horseshit.

No hate, they just love the shitstorm as much as we do. They quote the gamestar article, which says that "CIG are perfectionist megalomaniacs", among other things. You can see that both ways, I guess.

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich
"Perfectionists". Riiiight.

Virtual Captain
Feb 20, 2017

Archive Priest of the Stimperial Order

Star Citizen Good, in all things forevermore. Amen.
:pray:

Beexoffel
Oct 4, 2015

Herald of the Stimpire
For reference when the collapse comes.

AbstractNapper
Jun 5, 2011

I can help
I think it's better to just have one planet and a moon to be honest.

There's not even a need to make them fully explorable. Just make the landing zones different maps.

It's not important that Chris set 100 planetary systems as a stretch goal, the funding for which was achieved years ago and it was a significant amount at that. No, that was the concept phase.

What's important is how he folds upon his rear end, because, see, he is the same person, and since he says something else now, this is ... uhhh... therefore ...

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Ramadu posted:

i just cannot figure how getting a refund would ever be something to regret. the ships are earnable in game riiiiiiiiight?

Yep. I'm holding onto my entry level account because I've actually received far more value in entertainment so far, and whatever happens next is gravy. You guys get to watch the pitchforking from the outside...

peter gabriel posted:

The only IRL person I talk to about Star Citizen is a buddy of mine who is a VR dev, he gets a monthly update off me and it's the best thing ever because he literally cries laughing on the phone

I keep my wife updated. She can't believe that people would pay that amount of money for intangibles, but I point out her nail and coffee habit.

Beexoffel posted:

For reference when the collapse comes.

Too late. Oh, you mean the game?

Percelus
Sep 9, 2012

My command, your wish is

at least when this is all over, croberts can honestly look back at his life and say wing commander the movie was far from the worst thing he ever did :v:

Iceclaw
Nov 4, 2009

Fa la lanky down dilly, motherfuckers.
Pull up thread, pull up!

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Percelus posted:

at least when this is all over, croberts can honestly look back at his life and say wing commander the movie was far from the worst thing he ever did :v:

spacebulldozer.gif

Slow_Moe
Feb 18, 2013

A. Beaverhausen posted:

"Perfectionists". Riiiight.

Perfectionism without competence is merely obsession.

Like crobbers obsession with mocapped bomber jackets and stuff.

...and my obsession with cats.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Percelus posted:

You're assuming he doesn't think getting millions of dollars for himself isn't good?

Tank Boy Ken
Aug 24, 2012
J4G for life
Fallen Rib

D_Smart posted:

Man, those Germans really hate me, don't they? :bahgawd:

Star Citizen: Gamestar-Titelstory wird von Derek Smart auf Twitter kritisiert - "Urkomische Propaganda"

I can't even get Google Translate to work on that. It must be the usual horseshit.

quote:

Auf Twitter hat der gescheiterte Entwickler und scharfe Kritiker von Star Citizen-Chef Chris Roberts die jüngste Gamestar-Titelstory zum Weltraum-MMOG als "Propaganda" abgetan.
First Sentence: "The failed developer (and strong critic of Star Citizens CEO Chris Roberts) has dismissed the newest Gamestar Title Story as Propaganda."

I might do more once I get home. I guess :reddit: will love that sentence.

ManofManyAliases
Mar 21, 2016
ToastOfManySmarts

Can't post for 3 hours!

Sarsapariller posted:

Look, it's very easy to understand the Citizens who remain at this point. It's a gigantic case of belief in belief: they believe that it is virtuous to believe in Star Citizen. They don't actually believe in Star Citizen because even a goddamned idiot (hi) could see that the whole thing is cratering. But they believe that they should believe in it, that it is right and good to signal that they believe in it. To quote the article:

Star Citizen works the same way. They have accepted, internally, that what they are hearing is complete bullshit. But they've decided that supporting the game is the hill they need to die on, so you will find them prepared to excuse literally anything. Consequently, anything that CIG does is the absolute correct position. If Chris came out tomorrow and said that 100 planets were still in for launch, they're completely procgen, and here they are, these same people would be praising that despite the day before arguing that 5-10 "hand crafted" planets would be more than enough.

The way to completely destroy this mentality is to get people stating their positions before hand. That's how you learn exactly how broken they really believe it is- by what they think they will have to excuse. See: MOMA, setting summer of this year as his "I will be very disappointed if" date last year. Now that it's here, he has shifted his goalposts completely but the statement is already on record.

Not entirely. I'm disappointed that more progress isn't visually available, but I'm waiting to see what they'll manage to squeeze out of 3.0. I'm anxious about the netcode updates in 3.1. I have more information this year, which is why I was ok to adjust my expectations. Who the gently caress cares though, right? I'm dead and gay and out a few k.

Sillybones
Aug 10, 2013

go away,
spooky skeleton,
go away

ManofManyAliases posted:

Not entirely. I'm disappointed that more progress isn't visually available, but I'm waiting to see what they'll manage to squeeze out of 3.0. I'm anxious about the netcode updates in 3.1. I have more information this year, which is why I was ok to adjust my expectations. Who the gently caress cares though, right? I'm dead and gay and out a few k.

Are you some kind of moron?

ManofManyAliases
Mar 21, 2016
ToastOfManySmarts

Can't post for 3 hours!

Sillybones posted:

Are you some kind of moron?

The best kind.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

AbstractNapper posted:

I think it's better to just have one planet and a moon to be honest.

Scale. It's all about scale.

Eve has a massive amount of scale that becomes subsumed into the background because you're literally an immortal god. Planets and moons become the places where the stations are, or where you hide. Having 5K systems with multiple locations literally becomes a nodal map where the distinctiveness of the actual systems themselves becomes how long it takes to get across, or what color the background is. There's very little actual detail. Mainly because they're not part of the gameplay.

Even Wing Commander turned most of the loving around with planets to a series of waypoints. Now they're chasing the concept of being able to fidelitously fly across and around and onto what was initially a waypoint.

Why is this a problem? Well, if you've messed around with simming, that landscape data is big. Not just the elevation maps, but the little bits of detail that you actually look for; roads and buildings are difficult to plop down. The elevation and mapping data for the basic Xplane 10 install is around 50Gb and it's laughably crude. Most people only detail around the airports as it's (usually) the only place where ground detail matters.

Elite gets around this with a bunch of ploppable canyons, craters and other surface details that are placed as you get closer, mainly because they understand that you can't see the entire globe from lower to the surface. The immersion is mainly in *hiding* the generation of the surface to shade away the generation. This is actually one of the biggest reasons that people describe Elite as a big dead place. It's also how you can prove that there's no intelligent life in the universe.

Personally, I think they *should* cut the planets down to a manageable level, but you _don't_ have to detail them from the word go. You _should_ have a rough outline of what they are and throw that out there, but they're playing a really loving stupid game of concentrating on reporting details.

If you followed the development of Clockwork Empires, this is pretty much where they got bogged down. They had grand plans to have a management layer built around the movement of steam around the buildings, but it proved too hard and was scrapped.

That simple aspect of gameplay took a while to noodle out, but they'd completely forgotten the main gameplay loop and simple motivations for 'why' any given action was required.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

ManofManyAliases posted:

I have more information this year

Spill it. I want to hear about this netcode.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Hav posted:

Spill it. I want to hear about this netcode.

Well packets and poo poo get transferred between server and client and will be serialized.