Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

"Well that shower of sparks shouldnt be there."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Click here to join Lem Lee in the Hell Of Being Cut To Pieces
Nap Ghost

(he lived)

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Tumble posted:

if you go to local hardware stores around Christmas The Holidays, you'll see signs up telling people they don't stock and won't stock male/male plugs. They're usually taped up around the big sets of outdoor lights, or near the extension cords. "We WILL NEVER stock MALE/MALE CORDS, THEY ARE DANGEROUS AND ILLEGAL. YOU WILL HAVE TO FIGURE OUT A LESS DEADLY WAY TO LIGHT UP YOUR CHRISTMAS LIGHTS."

99% of the requests come from people that put up their lights backwards

They are pretty frosty about it, lol.

Possibly immoral. :ohdear:

azurite
Jul 25, 2010

Strange, isn't it?!

Oh God. So if someone fashions one of these, it means they have an inadequately or un-covered male plug at the other end of their lights, right?! :ohdear:

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot

Facebook Aunt posted:

Possibly immoral. :ohdear:

Paging the Fabgoons E/N Megathread. Paging the Fabgoons E/N megathread. CODE MAUVE. I REPEAT: CODE MAUVE. EXPIDITE.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

azurite posted:

Oh God. So if someone fashions one of these, it means they have an inadequately or un-covered male plug at the other end of their lights, right?! :ohdear:

Yes, almost certainly. Theoretically they could have covered it with something, but if they were going to think of that they probably wouldn't be the sort of person who makes a male to male plug in the first place. Live prongs just dangling in the snow.

Hubis
May 18, 2003

Boy, I wish we had one of those doomsday machines...

Facebook Aunt posted:

Yes, almost certainly. Theoretically they could have covered it with something, but if they were going to think of that they probably wouldn't be the sort of person who makes a male to male plug in the first place. Live prongs just dangling in the snow.

I have trouble believing that the type of person who would do this wouldn't just jam paperclips into both sets of female connectors, wrap them up with duct tape, and call it a day.

I just have an incredibly hard time imagining the precise level of dangerous knowledge where you think to do this, and yet then also think it's a good idea.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

male-to-male cables remind me of my favorite (the best) bigclive video there is

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hvOTiQKkQMo

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Forer
Jan 18, 2010

"How do I get rid of these nasty roaches?!"

Easy, just burn your house down.

Well I mean if you say so.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

As Idaho goes, so goes the nation.

Cumslut1895
Feb 18, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

to be fair, he thought the sign was being sarcastic

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
Yeah. As a fundie that believes in Jeeeazus, there's no such thing as Science/Space.

It aint in the Bible.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Lurking Haro posted:

You never know what circuits cheap USB chargers have inside. The phone itself might have a dangerous potential to ground and the only thing keeping you safe is the plastic housing.
Yeah that's another new and exciting can of worms!

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

And now you know why he isn't allowed to be in a room alone with a woman.

SLOSifl
Aug 10, 2002

Dillbag posted:

(he lived)
That's a good way to gently caress up your hatchback.

du -hast
Mar 12, 2003

BEHEAD THOSE WHO INSULT GENTOO

IPCRESS posted:

Well... at least he wasn't shooting at him one-handed, South African Motorcycle Police style.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3n8KrdixvZc

For some reason I read the title as South Australian, which confused me once the guy started talking with a South African accent.

If anyone is wondering, the village or whatever, which I assume is a strictly black zone leftover from apartheid, looks EXACTLY like a Native American reservation in the US. At first I thought it was a Navajo reservation until I saw that they were driving on the wrong side.

Anyway thats my story :tipshat:

Papa Emeritus III
Jul 7, 2017

[A MESSAGE FROM THE CLERGY]

Dat's Pussy Trap, bitch!

Deal with it.

Dillbag posted:

(he lived)

I came on here before my shift to post this. According to my lazy local news station(they talk about anything as if they're all sedated), the guy was seated on the edge of the driver's seat and had he been anywhere else he would have been crushed. The pipe fell from an overpass, where a truck had lost its cargo.

The man walked away with just a cut on his head. No eels. I'll link a story once I get my ancient laptop working here. Having some internet issues.

EDIT: Aha! The hamsters that drive the wheel of my computer finally worked to capacity. Here's a link to the news story: http://wspa.com/2017/07/16/man-narrowly-escapes-death-when-massive-pipe-falls-on-van/

MODs; If I didn't link that correctly for forum use, I apologize. Still gettin' the hang of this.

Three-Phase posted:

What's scary is that if I'm interpreting the test correctly they had 14kA going through the breaker and it didn't trip (probably a larger 600 or 800A frame size - at more than 10x normal current it should trip almost instantly) and manually opening the circuit caused the breaker to explode.

I know absolute squat about electricity but always wanted to learn. The fact it's not an exact science(according to most people I speak to) and the scary poo poo you post... it has kept me at arm's length. Do you personally have any close calls while working with that stuff? Ever feel like "whew, that was close!"?

Papa Emeritus III fucked around with this message at 10:56 on Jul 17, 2017

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

There's a definite tipping point that marks becoming educated about electricity and that's when instead of being worried about shock hazards you have nightmares about arc flash.

Jack-Off Lantern
Mar 2, 2012

I dunno, an Arc Flash would be a good way to go

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Electrical engineering IS an exact science. An alarming number of licensed electricians think electricity is magic, though.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

The magical part's electrochemistry.

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!

Cumslut1895 posted:

to be fair, he thought the sign was being sarcastic

He's just proving a point. If they can't use quotes correctly, they don't deserve properly calibrated/cleaned equipment

PopeCrunch
Feb 13, 2004

internets

Jack-Off Lantern posted:

I dunno, an Arc Flash would be a good way to go

Right? Most other ways to go, there's at least a few seconds in there where you know exactly what is going on. With an arc flash, you go one moment trying to remember the name of that one movie with the guy who was in Cheers but not frasier or norm, you know, the other guy, and then the next moment jesus or ganesha or whatever is all 'you mean Cliff? Yeah that's john ratzenberger he was in like half the pixar films and a bunch of other crap.'

All things considered, going from hale and hearty to rapidly expanding cloud of steam in a handful of nanoseconds is a pretty good way to go.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof
OSHA baboon.

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-africa-40629597

About a year ago it was OSHA monkey.
http://www.bbc.com/news/world-africa-36475667

Tumble
Jun 24, 2003
I'm not thinking of anything!

azurite posted:

yea, it's a major warning sign for two reasons: 1, it means you're dumb enough to put your lights up backwards; and 2, it means you're dumb enough to either not want to just buy an outdoor extension cord and run it up to your roof or you're actually dumb enough to have considered it, but still figure that a male/male plug is still a better idea.

basically as soon as you come looking for the male/male cord your name should go into a database and people should be performing daily welfare checks on you.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
By comparison is a female/female plug as dangerous?

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

RatHat posted:

you should never have the live electrical jizz pouring out of a male plug - and to get the electricity into a female female you need at least one male spewing forth electrical juice

e/ so you should never need a female female plug for electricity that can kill you.

for stuff where it doesnt matter like say audio cables, you see them all the time.

but if you need a female to female for mains or higher, you done hosed up

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

RatHat posted:

no, because you probably dont have a complete circuit

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xbpPIYy_YQk&t=211s

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Raskolnikov38 posted:

no, because you probably dont have a complete circuit

Have you considered what happens during scissoring?

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

RatHat posted:

Is this a Requiem for a Dream reference?

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

Azhais posted:

Is this a Requiem for a Dream reference?

:golfclap:

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.
Stay. Out. Of. The. Wash.

https://www.facebook.com/ABC15/vide...kog&pnref=story

At least 9 dead. I don't know what it is about the desert, nobody goes outside in the dead of winter in Alaska wearing just jockey shorts or flip-flops, but people don't think twice about trying to climb rocks in the desert with only a single bottle of water. Or hanging out in a wash during monsoon season.

Hubis
May 18, 2003

Boy, I wish we had one of those doomsday machines...

JFairfax posted:

you should never have the live electrical jizz pouring out of a male plug - and to get the electricity into a female female you need at least one male spewing forth electrical juice

Right. Technically male receptacles do exist -- you might recognize them from the back of your computer/monitor, where that oddly ubiquitous power cable plugs in -- but they're only ever supposed to be used on the *receiving* side of power, so that you can connect a removable power cord to them which has a conventional male end on the other side.

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005
I can't believe "don't have protruding energised conductors" is such a weird thing for people.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

TTerrible posted:

I can't believe "don't have protruding energised conductors" is such a weird thing for people.

Lots of people have trouble understanding that something they can't see can kill them. See also: gas and radiation.

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005
Widowmakers are legendary in the entertainment industry for some reason (old school 'the show must go on!' bullshit maybe) but despite everyone having stories I've never come across one.

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Skippy McPants posted:

Lots of people have trouble understanding that something they can't see can kill them. See also: gas and radiation.

On the flip side people obsesses over things that don't affect them at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

oohhboy posted:

On the flip side people obsesses over things that don't affect them at all.

Like poor people being paid living wages, taxes, and universal healthcare?