Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

Big K of Justice posted:

I mean, I did this before back in the 90's, back then in North America, everything was console system -> BNC or console system to -> 25 pin DB and despite what a few youtube channels said, you could get North American TV's with RGB, but it was just a handful of models.. a few Mitsubishi/NEC high-end models and the Sony Pro Feel line all had DB-25 connectors on them. Kinda odd to see the modern method is to use system -> scart -> BNC -> RGB/upscaler route, but I guess its cost considerations.

We'd be in a very different world if the digital conversion hadn't happened a decade ago. There was literally a pile of CRTs dozens of feet high at the city electronics recycling location that year, it was nuts. If I'd have had a warehouse back then I would've made a killing.

The only reason there's so many PVM/BVM models left is because TV stations and video production places knew better than to throw them away.

You can still find some consumer models with the connectors you're talking about, but they're extremely rare. I don't think I've seen one in years and I live in one of the largest cities in the US. The only thing around are production models.

You could always get a first gen plasma, the pro models of those almost always have RGB through the DB-25 and also full BNC RGB. GIves off a hell of an image, if you can handle those grey bars on the sides :sparkles:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Looks like the gscart switchbox I bought a while back is finally getting around to shipping, I'm looking forward to finally streamlining the mess of cables behind my TV.

FireMrshlBill
Aug 13, 2006

LEMME SHOW YOU SOMETHING!!!

Sir Tonk posted:

We'd be in a very different world if the digital conversion hadn't happened a decade ago. There was literally a pile of CRTs dozens of feet high at the city electronics recycling location that year, it was nuts. If I'd have had a warehouse back then I would've made a killing.

The only reason there's so many PVM/BVM models left is because TV stations and video production places knew better than to throw them away.

You can still find some consumer models with the connectors you're talking about, but they're extremely rare. I don't think I've seen one in years and I live in one of the largest cities in the US. The only thing around are production models.

You could always get a first gen plasma, the pro models of those almost always have RGB through the DB-25 and also full BNC RGB. GIves off a hell of an image, if you can handle those grey bars on the sides :sparkles:

Always hated the gray bars on plasmas

Son of a Vondruke!
Aug 3, 2012

More than Star Citizen will ever be.

Rollersnake posted:

To this day, I still have never had a white mushroom house appear in SMB3.

Don't feel too bad, I had no idea they even existed until you mentioned it. And I played a ton of Mario 3 as a kid.

Big K of Justice
Nov 27, 2005

Anyone seen my ball joints?

Sir Tonk posted:

I know what you are saying, I wasn't complaining about the digital conversion. I work in film and before that broadcast, so I'd never thought I'd be dealing with this again.

Here I am back in BNC connectors and terminators and dealing with sync processing :allears:

Wouldn't mind having one of those Sony Profeel Pro's again. :corsair:

Big K of Justice fucked around with this message at 08:27 on Jul 17, 2017

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

univbee posted:

What about a GB Micro?

It doesn't play Game Boy games

One day, I'll own one of these. One day.

Stan Taylor
Oct 13, 2013

Touched Fuzzy, Got Dizzy
My brother found a copy of DK Jungle Beat and grabbed it for me so now I'm losing my mind looking into getting a GameCube looking good on modern TV's. Dear God why.

Tree Dude
May 26, 2012

AND MY SONG IS...
Just use a Wii?

ProjektorBoy
Jun 18, 2002

I FUCK LINEN IN MY SPARE TIME!
Grimey Drawer

Stan Taylor posted:

My brother found a copy of DK Jungle Beat and grabbed it for me so now I'm losing my mind looking into getting a GameCube looking good on modern TV's. Dear God why.

A region-modded PAL Gamecube will output in RGB, if you're dead-set on using an actual Gamecube.

Otherwise you're stuck hunting down a Digital-Out Gamecube and then spending $200 on a component cable. Then there's the jank-rear end HDMI mods for it.

Tree Dude posted:

Just use a Wii?

Probably the better choice. Wii at least have component output, and a component cable that is still easy to find. GC-enabled Wii's aren't hideously impossible to find but hopefully its disc drive still plays nice with GC discs.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
GC Wii's are way more common than non-GC ones

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Goddamn that is nice.

XYZ
Aug 31, 2001

That looks cool, what is it?

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

Looks like a Sharp X1 to me.

Bloodplay it again
Aug 25, 2003

Oh, Dee, you card. :-*

Shadow Hog posted:

Looks like a Sharp X1 to me.

Here's a video that showcases some games about a minute in. Some (not) hot Super Mario Bros action at 1:05. I can't imagine playing SMB like that and Luigi looks like a glow stick.

Is this still the de facto VGM vinyl thread? The signed box Ninja Gaiden box sets from Brave Wave have been shipped and mine arrived today. My VGM vinyl collection isn't huge--I got this with the intention to trade for Earthbound, Banjo-Kazooie, and maybe another album, but it's such a high quality set that I might just wind up keeping it instead. Makes me wish people would stop using iam8bit for their records because Squeezer (and likely others) is/are infinitely better at making vinyl. I'm 99% sure I bought the last Perfect Dark set from iam8bit earlier this year because it was sold out shortly after checkout, but it has so much surface noise that it wouldn't surprise me if it was someone else's return. Since it's impossible to exchange, I am stuck with a pretty good Kirkhope soundtrack on abysmal vinyl.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Bloodplay it again posted:

Here's a video that showcases some games about a minute in. Some (not) hot Super Mario Bros action at 1:05. I can't imagine playing SMB like that and Luigi looks like a glow stick.

:lol: at Tokyo Nampa Street (immediately after the SMB clip) being just a screenshot with weird static sounds.

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

I was gonna snark that that was a more-flattering illustration of its library than the one example I'd seen, that being Space Harrier - but I'm glad I didn't, because I was thinking of the MZ-700 version. The Sharp X1 version, while still kinda blocky for my tastes, looks (and sounds, dunno wtf was with the MZ-700 version) considerably better.

Caitlin
Aug 18, 2006

When I die, if there is a heaven, I will spend eternity rolling around with a pile of kittens.

In Training posted:

SMB2 USA isn't a Mario game .

oh for gently caress's sake

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Not going to lie: I kind of want to beat that Super Mario Bros version now.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

In Training posted:

SMB2 USA isn't a Mario game .

SMB2 USA is my favorite Mario game. Fight me.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

:byodood: zelda 2 isn't a real zelda!

edit:

Random Stranger posted:

Not going to lie: I kind of want to beat that Super Mario Bros version now.

Well if you search "Super Mario Bros. Special" on RH.net there's like a hundred of SMB1 NES hacks that attempt to recreate it. Some of them even have the ugly palette and odd enemy quirks unique to that version. I'm not sure which is the most authentic to the X1 experience though.

Mak0rz fucked around with this message at 21:39 on Jul 17, 2017

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

Mak0rz posted:

:byodood: zelda 2 isn't a real zelda!

Zelda 2 might or might not be (I think it is), but that appears to be running Jelda 2, which I have... questions about.

Bloodplay it again
Aug 25, 2003

Oh, Dee, you card. :-*

Prism posted:

Zelda 2 might or might not be (I think it is), but that appears to be running Jelda 2, which I have... questions about.

Jelda was a third-person rail shooter made by Carry soft/Carry lab and, AFAIK, the only game they developed that made it to the US was Mystery Quest for the NES, which has music composed by Nobuo Uematsu prior to his work on Final Fantasy.

edit: Jelda II actually was first-person, unlike Jelda, but we all know Jelda II isn't a real Jelda game.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Stan Taylor posted:

S-video is honestly not terrible and very cheap to get set up?

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Thinking of picking up a TurboGrapx 16, but the listing I see has no accessories or controller. Not worry about the AV cord, as I plan on getting it modded by Monitorburn for RGB (which I guess it uses the Genesis ones) but what the power cord it uses?

Acolyte!
Aug 6, 2001

Go! Rocket Kiwi! Go!
A SEGA MK-1602 will supposedly work fine for a TG16. The OEM one is the HES-ACA-01, which is DC 10.5V 730mA.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Acolyte! posted:

A SEGA MK-1602 will supposedly work fine for a TG16. The OEM one is the HES-ACA-01, which is DC 10.5V 730mA.

Cool because I have one of those.

Ofecks
May 4, 2009

A portly feline wizard waddles forth, muttering something about conjured food.

Be sure to get a region switch if you're not using an Everdrive, there are lots of PC-Engine games that didn't get US releases.

I realized recently I needed some new T-Shirts With Things That I Like On Them. Ordered Toaplan and PCE ones yesterday

Ofecks fucked around with this message at 23:23 on Jul 17, 2017

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Ofecks posted:

Be sure to get a region switch if you're not using an Everdrive, there are lots of PC-Engine games that didn't get US releases.

I realized recently I needed some new T-Shirts With Things That I Like On Them. Ordered Toaplan and PCE ones yesterday

Already planned on that. Having trouble finding a used controller on ebay, as I see very few entries and they are 50 bucks which is no thank you.

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

Ofecks posted:

Or alternatively get an everdrive, because I have one in my TG16 and let me tell you, it owns!

I need to dust that thing off, it's been a while. Young me would kick old me's rear end for letting it collect dust.

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

I think to really get SMW you had to have gotten it when you were a kid and spent hours doing all the secret stuff and unlocking everything. SMB3 is a better game (and has a better ~aesthetic~) but SMW is a better world to screw around in. They're both fantastic and they really tie for me, for totally different reasons. Also hello I haven't looked at this thread in months because I'm back in school (at 33 lol)

ProjektorBoy
Jun 18, 2002

I FUCK LINEN IN MY SPARE TIME!
Grimey Drawer

d0s posted:

I think to really get SMW you had to have gotten it when you were a kid and spent hours doing all the secret stuff and unlocking everything. SMB3 is a better game (and has a better ~aesthetic~) but SMW is a better world to screw around in. They're both fantastic and they really tie for me, for totally different reasons. Also hello I haven't looked at this thread in months because I'm back in school (at 33 lol)

I keep waffling between SM3 and SMW as the peak of 2D Mario.

I really love how Mario's momentum feels in SM3, but there's also a level of precision that SMW has that I hardly ever find in 2D at all. Not even NSMB.

The aspect of SMW being so well-tuned that its engine can be literally played like an instrument is part of why it's so great. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vDWJFMXOY88

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

Star Man posted:

SMB2 USA is my favorite Mario game. Fight me.

me too.

I am not the type to wear video game shirts or anything like that but my favorite thing in the world is this gigantic SMB2 beer mug.

Pokemon OH SNAP!
Oct 17, 2004

Rirse posted:

Already planned on that. Having trouble finding a used controller on ebay, as I see very few entries and they are 50 bucks which is no thank you.

Just buy a PC Engine. Accessories and everything are way cheaper. I had a TG16 as a kid and I still got a PC Engine instead because gently caress how expensive everything is for TG16.

Edit: Another reason is that if you get very deep into the library at all you're going to want to play CD games. The CD add-on for the TG16 is insanely expensive but an IFU+CD setup or just springing for a Duo off the bat for PCE isn't bad at all.

Pokemon OH SNAP! fucked around with this message at 01:01 on Jul 18, 2017

al-azad
May 28, 2009

I will freely admit that my adoration of Mario 3 is also due to nostalgia. Playing it reminds me of hot summer days in the cool basement when my dad and I would play co-op then hang out at the city pool. When people talk about foods and entertainment that instantly trigger memories, Mario 3 is the strongest.

Zaphod42 posted:

S-video is honestly not terrible and very cheap to get set up?

I think S-video is the perfect format for old games. It's sharp enough to see every detail but it still gives off the CRT blending effect that reminds me of childhood. I admire you people with high tech setups and RGB whazzits but S-Video is it for this guy.

Funny story, when I left the last place I was renting I needed emergency shelter with my folks. They told me as I was hauling a Trinitron through their door "You can stay until you get back on your feet but you're putting all your poo poo in a storage locker."

I said "gently caress that" and bought a house. A year later there is still an entire bedroom I can't walk in because the floor is covered with consoles, cords, and magazines. So whenever you think of :retrogames: remember me, the guy who bought a house so he could store his junk. I am one spouse away from graduating to someone who opens a game store with prices too high to sell.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Team S-Video :hfive:

azurite
Jul 25, 2010

Strange, isn't it?!

Pokemon OH SNAP! posted:

Just buy a PC Engine. Accessories and everything are way cheaper. I had a TG16 as a kid and I still got a PC Engine instead because gently caress how expensive everything is for TG16.

Edit: Another reason is that if you get very deep into the library at all you're going to want to play CD games. The CD add-on for the TG16 is insanely expensive but an IFU+CD setup or just springing for a Duo off the bat for PCE isn't bad at all.

The PCE+IFU is an excellent conversation starter. Your friends will be all like, "What the gently caress is that?!"

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

Is this still the de facto VGM vinyl thread? The signed box Ninja Gaiden box sets from Brave Wave have been shipped and mine arrived today. My VGM vinyl collection isn't huge--I got this with the intention to trade for Earthbound, Banjo-Kazooie, and maybe another album, but it's such a high quality set that I might just wind up keeping it instead. Makes me wish people would stop using iam8bit for their records because Squeezer (and likely others) is/are infinitely better at making vinyl. I'm 99% sure I bought the last Perfect Dark set from iam8bit earlier this year because it was sold out shortly after checkout, but it has so much surface noise that it wouldn't surprise me if it was someone else's return. Since it's impossible to exchange, I am stuck with a pretty good Kirkhope soundtrack on abysmal vinyl.

iam8bit sucks - awful service, awful availability, increasingly awful prices for okay-at-best product.

Brave Wave, Data Discs and Ship to Shore all put out good stuff, and Mondo's not too bad either, occasionally terrible art aside.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Pokemon OH SNAP! posted:

Would done that if I knew how pricey things are for the T16, but I already bought a used one for cheap so it too late now.

Pokemon OH SNAP!
Oct 17, 2004

azurite posted:

The PCE+IFU is an excellent conversation starter. Your friends will be all like, "What the gently caress is that?!"

The PC_FX is p good for that too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS
You monster, you changed Rolf's name

• Locked thread