Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
eviltastic
Feb 8, 2004

Fan of Britches

Shifty Pony posted:

It never did for normal taxes.

But in a hosed it way if you instead base it on total benefits received it happens today. If you don't make much money it absolutely can happen that making an extra $1 will result in you being worse off by losing access to benefits like Medicaid, SNAP, housing vouchers, etc.

Yeah, this is a very important point, and a key part of how the right attacks the programs on grounds that they're entrapping or addictive or whatever. They make the eligibility requirements really stringent and then blame people for being lazy when they avoid jeopardizing their claim to the benefits.

Tangential but also worth noting, eligibility rules can lead to really harsh results independent of work disincentives. It's not unheard of for attorneys to screw up and blow their clients' Medicaid eligibility when they don't recognize the need to set up a special needs trust, for example. Get run over, get a check because of the injuries, and poof, you just lost medicaid access to take care of the treatment cost and whatever other ongoing issues you have.

Enigma89 posted:

How do you explain Obama getting elected then? He must have lost with all of these secret racists around.

Obama was elected before the Shelby County decision, and McCain/Romney weren't running on an overtly white nationalist platform. Racism isn't automatically not/less of a factor just because a black person wasn't running this time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

Crows Turn Off posted:

Are you implying that Libertarians aren't complete idiots?

Its a different kind of idiocy

CAPS LOCK BROKEN
Feb 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

FizFashizzle posted:

This was an almost immediate reaction, and Blythe worked it into his larger theory of the failure of the ruling class etc.

while there's salient points to be made there, they didn't have the raw data yet.

The people the ruling class failed by and large aren't numerous enough to constitute a block, even in a gerrymandered system like the EV. Don't blame the 100k whites in Michigan, Wisconsin, and Pennsylvania who changed the outcome of the election, blame the other 63 million racists who were ok with trump.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Spiffster posted:

I'll find out fast enough. I have to run an inquiry through my works ethics office then file with the state if approved. I can post updates of the progress if I do happen to get the spot.

Delete your post history now

Don't wanna get an attack ad because you're an orc

BarbarianElephant
Feb 12, 2015
The fairy of forgiveness has removed your red text.

Spiffster posted:

I'll find out fast enough. I have to run an inquiry through my works ethics office then file with the state if approved. I can post updates of the progress if I do happen to get the spot.

Sounds like it would make a good Ask/Tell thread, if allowed. Good luck.

Post 9-11 User
Apr 14, 2010

Rex-Goliath posted:

How is raising taxes on the highest income bracket in order to subsidize plans for the lowest raiding the middle class?

As others have said, and: there are multiple caps on how much the wealthiest contribute to Medicare/Medicaid, while the middle class must pays proportionally more in taxes and also must pay out of pocket for insurance.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

skylined! posted:

gonna get a neato pic of trump pretend zooming in a speedboat soon

https://twitter.com/jeneps/status/886991582389571584

What a rich toddler would ask for -- real-life tonka trucks.

skylined!
Apr 6, 2012

THE DEM DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Delete your post history now

Don't wanna get an attack ad because you're an orc

alternatively, don't make your ballot name be mike 'spiffster the fuckin cool poster from something awful dot com' mcgee

TROIKA CURES GREEK
Jun 30, 2015

by R. Guyovich

Peven Stan posted:

You answered your own question. Obama won the same share of the white vote as Clinton and Kerry before him. It was youth and minorities who put him over the top.

Clinton thought they could poach moderate republicans due to trumps bigotry and they were absolutely wrong.

It's incredibly loving stupid to look at the overall numbers but that doesn't stop dummies from doing it all the time. You're doing it wrong!!

As an example ny, Texas, and ca will massively skew those numbers yet they are utterly irrelevant in deciding the election. It's like saying trump did worse than romney. No that's dumb: in the states that mattered, eg Florida and Michigan, Trump blew Romney's numbers out of the water by massive margins. What brought his overall numbers down were ca and ny, but again these states are functionally irrelevant In us elections . In an EC system the overall numbers are meaningless, what matters is where those numbers are.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Fitzy Fitz posted:

What a rich toddler would ask for -- real-life tonka trucks.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

skylined! posted:

alternatively, don't make your ballot name be mike 'spiffster the fuckin cool poster from something awful dot com' mcgee

Can't keep secrets in the modern era, and who hasn't been banged by an orc these days

I mean

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.

Enigma89 posted:

How do you explain Obama getting elected then? He must have lost with all of these secret racists around.

Man I don't get it, how does my racist uncle have a black coworker that he hangs around with?

Clearly if he didn't lynch a guy right now there's no racism at play.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

DaveWoo posted:

There's an interesting anecdote in that article, which suggests that Trump's disapproval rating should be taken with a bit of a grain of salt:
Yes and nothing he does is going to convince those kinds of people otherwise. They legitimately believe that either his Twitter stuff or Democrats are preventing him from MAGA.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Apparently DHS is asking for a 45% increase (15k more) in H-2B visas for the rest of the fiscal year, excluding farm laborers.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/wonk/wp/2017/07/17/trump-officials-order-15000-new-visas-for-low-wage-workers/?utm_term=.871f343b087d

There is probably a lot to dissect here.

skylined!
Apr 6, 2012

Can't keep secrets in the modern era, and who hasn't been banged by an orc these days

I mean

ill have you know my wife still hasn't found my very emo MySpace and livejournal from circa 2001 and if she can't find it no rusky wannabe intel agent is gonna out me either

Spiffster
Oct 7, 2009

I'm good... I Haven't slept for a solid 83 hours, but yeah... I'm good...

Lipstick Apathy

I mean

I mean we have all WAUUUGGGHHHH'd with the best of them and wore red to go fasta'.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Peven Stan posted:

The people the ruling class failed by and large aren't numerous enough to constitute a block

Pretty sure there are millions of people failed by the ruling class in the US. If not tens or hundreds of millions depending on how you define it.

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything

DaveWoo posted:

Trump Admin: "Okay, we need to get all 50 remaining R Senators on board to pass this health care bill. We can't afford to alienate a single one of them. What should we do? I know!"

https://twitter.com/politico/status/886964971359412226

Is this normal? Did Obama, Bush, Clinton etc do anything like this?

I'm guessing no

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

mastershakeman posted:

Hillary is Tasha, bill is riker, Bernie is worf

Nobody listens to Worf, so this checks out.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Peven Stan posted:

Except most people who voted for him were well off whites.

The white working class/rurals by and large don't vote.

This is the trick of all of this, the story is that it's poor white farmers and rednecks that we need to change, when instead it was the middle/upper-middle class dudes in a sport jacket and red hat that need to have their political teeth rearranged.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

man of the people, touring a boat

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

a rich, friable soil containing a relatively equal mixture of sand and silt and a somewhat smaller proportion of clay.

Fister Roboto posted:

Nobody listens to Worf, so this checks out.

Worf is also responsible for the starting of a civil war. I am curious who is Gauron in this scenario, as Bernie must kill them with a Bat'leth. Duras is obviously Trump due to receiving help from the Romulans. Theory checks out.

skylined!
Apr 6, 2012

we gonna get there by the end of the year i tell you hwhat

https://twitter.com/stevekopack/status/886996166881284096

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

skylined! posted:

Trump (staring out window: "Oh geesh! Omigosh! They're here! And there's a boaaaaat! Wooooow."

Bannon: "FINISH YER FUCKIN SPAGHETTIO'S."

Gozinbulx
Feb 19, 2004

Overwined
Sep 22, 2008

Wine can of their wits the wise beguile,
Make the sage frolic, and the serious smile.

That's going to run a bit longer than Alex thinks it is.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

It's a video of a slowly rotting banana, isn't it.

Skippy Granola
Sep 3, 2011

It's not what it looks like.

Spiffster posted:

I mean we have all WAUUUGGGHHHH'd with the best of them and wore red to go fasta'.

Spiffster 2018: We izn't mukkin about

ought ten
Feb 6, 2004

skylined! posted:

This list has some good jokes in it https://www.whitehouse.gov/blog/2017/07/17/made-america

quote:

Body armor, dummies

Crows Turn Off
Jan 7, 2008

Hypothetically, if Mueller's team concludes that Trump's team did a bunch of illegal poo poo, what are the next steps? Does Mueller himself charge Trump's team with the crimes? Then, is it up to the DOJ to act on those charges (arresting people, etc)? Does Congress actually get involved at that point, are they still needed for impeachment?

skylined!
Apr 6, 2012

turmp thrad; good soup

https://twitter.com/stevekopack/status/834797225213562880

skylined!
Apr 6, 2012

imagine sebastian gorka reading this list

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Rhode Island Produces: Beer you can only buy in Rhode Island

Overwined
Sep 22, 2008

Wine can of their wits the wise beguile,
Make the sage frolic, and the serious smile.

I don't like this soup. Waiter, my soup tastes like pee. Please take it back.

skylined!
Apr 6, 2012

Azhais posted:

Rhode Island Produces: Beer you can only buy in Rhode Island

the whole list reads like the trade show lineup for a Chinese investment company looking to build an America themed amusement park

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything

Overwined posted:

I don't like this soup. Waiter, my soup tastes like pee. Please take it back.

He would never say this, for reasons that are too obvious to explain.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

axeil posted:

People are horrifically bad at long-term thinking and planning, especially when you throw in numbers. You can offer someone $500 now or $25/week in perpetuity and a whole shitload of people will take the first. It's an issue with general innumeracy in our society and how we educate people on math. Part of the problem is we've allowed people to cop out with the "I'm not a numbers guy/girl, I'm not good at math, etc." excuse. No one is innately good at stuff, you have to practice a ton to get good at it. You don't see people giving the sorts of excuses we see with math about say, reading/writing.

We should spend less time on things like calculus in high school and more on probability/statistics because to the average person calculus is just some neat math tricks, while the prob/stat stuff will actually have an impact on their life.

I mean poo poo, you have people who to this day don't understand how interest works.

Speaking as someone who used to teach personal finance and budgeting to low-income kids and their families... It's not that simple. A lot of people would take the $500 now because they need it NOW to pay for rent, food, medicine etc.

Furthermore there is the issue of trust. I personally wouldn't trust you if you told me you would pay me $25 per month forever. What if you declare bankruptcy, or simply disappear? So in your theoretical scenario I too might also just take the $500.

Bottom line is that a lot of people who seem bad with money are actually good with money but have different burdens, priorities and/or their decision-making is affected by different past experiences.

marshmonkey
Dec 5, 2003

I was sick of looking
at your stupid avatar
so
have a cool cat instead.

:v:
Switchblade Switcharoo
https://twitter.com/NBCNightlyNews/status/886964421335162881
https://twitter.com/brianklaas/status/886992182854512640

skylined!
Apr 6, 2012

wow this is shocking news if tru

https://twitter.com/braddjaffy/status/886986136345874434

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Charliegrs
Aug 10, 2009

Crows Turn Off posted:

Hypothetically, if Mueller's team concludes that Trump's team did a bunch of illegal poo poo, what are the next steps? Does Mueller himself charge Trump's team with the crimes? Then, is it up to the DOJ to act on those charges (arresting people, etc)? Does Congress actually get involved at that point, are they still needed for impeachment?

If I remember correctly, the special counsel team cant prosecute the president. I think only congress can do that.

So Trump is never going to get prosecuted.

• Locked thread