Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

take me you ANIMAL has until 12:09, then Teemu Pokemon

Also Letang is a definitely a steal. He's a legit #1 and I think he'll come back like a man possessed next year. Until he gets concussed again.
But I also think that with each concussion he loses a bit of human compassion and knowledge of things outside of hockey, so in a way he's only going to get better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

corn on the cop
Oct 12, 2012

Break what must be broken, once for all, that's all, and take the suffering on oneself.

― Corey Dostoyevsky
Letang was my second choice after Lindholm but something about neck injuries and over the age of 30 has me legit concerned

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

corn on the cop posted:

Letang was my second choice after Lindholm but something about neck injuries and over the age of 30 has me legit concerned

He seemed as dominant as ever last year when he was actually playing. And his skating is so good that even losing some of it would still have him being a great dman.

But yeah the whole made of glass thing is a bit of a concern.

Aye Doc
Jul 19, 2007

combining the tanger's repeated brain injuries with his innate desire to kill others, i decided to pass but i sure do love him anyway

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Aye Doc posted:

combining the tanger's repeated brain injuries with his innate desire to kill others, i decided to pass but i sure do love him anyway

It's interesting how young this one is going. I bet if a draft like this happened in the NHL Letang would never get taken this late. We're trending a lot younger than I think a real draft like this would go.

Technetium
Oct 26, 2006

TRILOBITE TECHNICIAN
QUITE POSSIBLY GAY

Verviticus posted:

trouba here and lindholm at 60 is really funny. i almost took lindholm at 29 and even then hes probably undervalued

shattenkirk, keith, hamilton, krug, ekblad... none of these dudes are as good

With Krug I wanted a defenseman with top end point scoring/powerplay production with my first pick. As much as I like Lindholm as one of the best defenders in the league it was too much to take a 20-30 point defender with my first pick over a 50 point guy. As far as I can see Krug is also more than serviceable as top pairing defenseman in terms of shot generation and defense. That's my story anyway.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
Krug is a very good defenseman, and he has Erik Karlsson syndrome where everyone thinks he can only do offense.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Ginette Reno posted:

He seemed as dominant as ever last year when he was actually playing. And his skating is so good that even losing some of it would still have him being a great dman.

The injury thing is a major concern with Letang.

I like Trouba and Lindholm but I don't see a big argument for them over any of the guys who were mentioned. They're all second tier #1s with the exception of Shattenkirk who is probably the best PP quarterback in the league (but not a #1).

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

corn on the cop posted:

Ditto, I thought long and hard about Letang when I took Hall but given his injury history and the law of diminishing returns I just couldn't justify it.

Kilza
Oct 4, 2013

Ginette Reno posted:

If I thought Letang was going to stay healthy, I would have gone for him over Klingberg. Then again, if I thought Letang was going to stay healthy, somebody else would've thought that too and picked him way earlier (late 1st/early 2nd).

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Kilza posted:

If I thought Letang was going to stay healthy, I would have gone for him over Klingberg. Then again, if I thought Letang was going to stay healthy, somebody else would've thought that too and picked him way earlier (late 1st/early 2nd).

If he was healthy he'd be somewhere in the top 4 D picked.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Jordan7hm posted:

If he was healthy he'd be somewhere in the top 4 D picked.

If he could stay healthy I'd take him over anyone but Karlsson I think. He's that good.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Ginette Reno posted:

If he could stay healthy I'd take him over anyone but Karlsson I think. He's that good.

I think there's a clear Karlsson / Burns / Hedman top 3 that Letang would make 4. Not sure I'd take him over Hedman even if he was fully healthy, and he and Burns would be a bit of a toss up too.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Teemu Pokemon is on the clock until 2:09 ET, then Kilza

Also, all told Letang has played 75% of the total regular season games over the last 10 years. While his health is devastatingly suspect, he has still somehow managed to keep himself around for the most part.

take me you ANIMAL
Nov 28, 2002

Congrats big boy
Just got home from work. To break from the D train, I'll go with Nikolaj Ehlers.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

Teemu Pokemon is on the clock until 2:09 ET, then Kilza

Also, all told Letang has played 75% of the total regular season games over the last 10 years. While his health is devastatingly suspect, he has still somehow managed to keep himself around for the most part.

67% of the last 5. 55GP pace.

Kilza
Oct 4, 2013

take me you ANIMAL posted:

Just got home from work. To break from the D train, I'll go with Nikolaj Ehlers.

nooooooooooooooooooooooooo

Just two picks away from me. :(

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

To sign them is my real test

With full no movement clause
The Nashville Perds are are a hockey club, and that hockey club needs to be filled with hockey players. A hockey player is Dylan Larkin

Kilza
Oct 4, 2013

Well, I had three players in mind coming into this pick. The main one (Ehlers) is gone but I still have two other players to pick from.

Y'all probably think I'm crazy, selecting yet another defenseman, but I love this guy and he's just going to keep getting better. The Oilers, completing the Swedish trio, select Oscar Klefbom.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

He's getting old and he's expensive, but he's still on the board and all of you guys are building young so someone needs to build to win now.

Anze Kopitar
He had a very bad year shooting percentage-wise last season. I fully expect he'll be back in the 20-30 goal 60-70 point range next season. His contract is super-loving goofy but when you compare his fancy stats to Toews it's not so far out.

Tavares/Kopitar/Jones, a little something for now and a little something for later.

Arabian Jesus is still being consensus-ed so Vincent Van Goat is up followed by Jamwad Hilder

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

I was waffling between Carter and Kopitar for a while but man, if he doesn't bounce back that contract is going to be so awful. Plus I've got to pay Matthews in a couple years.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

FBS posted:

I was waffling between Carter and Kopitar for a while but man, if he doesn't bounce back that contract is going to be so awful. Plus I've got to pay Matthews in a couple years.

No doubt Carter is the better choice, especially if he's the #1C for a team. What really pushed me over the edge is how similar Kopitar is to Toews, down to the stupid contract. His deployment, the minutes he eats free up hypothetical Tavares to run hog-wild on

Ergo Propter Hog
Jul 21, 2014

Noah Hanifin

Jamwad Hilder has until 3:33 EST, and then ThinkTank is up

Kilza
Oct 4, 2013

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

Arabian Jesus is still being consensus-ed so Vincent Van Goat is up followed by Jamwad Hilder

Consensus pick for Jesus right now would be James van Riemsdyk, if we want to pick for him right away.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Kilza posted:

Consensus pick for Jesus right now would be James van Riemsdyk, if we want to pick for him right away.

Works for me. I doubt anyone is too terribly high on JVR that they'd be upset to lose him, at least.

take me you ANIMAL
Nov 28, 2002

Congrats big boy

Kilza posted:

Well, I had three players in mind coming into this pick. The main one (Ehlers) is gone but I still have two other players to pick from.

Y'all probably think I'm crazy, selecting yet another defenseman, but I love this guy and he's just going to keep getting better. The Oilers, completing the Swedish trio, select Oscar Klefbom.

Hey, that was going to my next pick! I knew I had to get at least one D in the first two so went with Shat22 because I know he'll get a ton of offence time in New York, but I had been eyeing Ehlers for that pick too since his two linemates went so fast.

My other two for the next round are still open so hope they make it till my next pick because inventory is finally over, and although it was terrible, it was doable thanks to our new GM not making GBS threads all over us on man hours.

t a s t e
Sep 6, 2010

Can I hit someone up with the shortlist for my pick so that I can be sure to not delay the process this time?

Iodised QQ
Jul 23, 2004

Jonathan Fisk posted:

Can I hit someone up with the shortlist for my pick so that I can be sure to not delay the process this time?

Sure, I'll be around most of the day starting in about an hour if you wanna send a list over

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

I'm around so I'll take Ryan Suter now that Jamwad is skipped.

Technetium is up.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

ThinkTank posted:

I'm around so I'll take Ryan Suter now that Jamwad is skipped.

Technetium is up.

Tech gets skipped at 5:34 est

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

I'm at work until 9pm EST so please take your time. I have a special pick in mind next so long as no one takes it.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
Give me Sebastian Aho please. Apparently I am actually the Carolina Hurricanes.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
Skinner-Scheifele-Aho aka the rear end line

Kilza
Oct 4, 2013

Jamwad Hilder posted:

Give me Sebastian Aho please. Apparently I am actually the Carolina Hurricanes.

Now is that Sebastian Aho, the Finnish player who's good or Sebastian Aho, the Swedish player who's not good?

I'm going to assume you meant the Swedish one and make a note of it. :v:

Technetium
Oct 26, 2006

TRILOBITE TECHNICIAN
QUITE POSSIBLY GAY

Phone posting but give me Viktor Arvidsson please

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
It's maybe a tiny bit early for him, but Ginette has two picks before I go again and took him in the fourth round last year. I'm taking Matt Murray.

take me you ANIMAL
Nov 28, 2002

Congrats big boy

Kilza posted:

Now is that Sebastian Aho, the Finnish player who's good or Sebastian Aho, the Swedish player who's not good?

I'm going to assume you meant the Swedish one and make a note of it. :v:

That was my choice if Ehlers before him. Aho is amazing, but look at who each of them play with.

Yaya
Nov 14, 2012

vancloober cablucks

Jordan7hm posted:

It's maybe a tiny bit early for him, but Ginette has two picks before I go again and took him in the fourth round last year. I'm taking Matt Murray.

aw crud

Kilza
Oct 4, 2013

Jordan7hm posted:

I know Yaya was also looking at taking him this round so I think it's about the right time. A 23 year old goalie who's won the Cup twice and is on a very cheap contract (relative to performance) is a good pick at this stage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Jordan7hm posted:

I've got Price already. Murray definitely owns though and I think would be good anywhere. He's not just a product of being on the Pens.

e: Furnaceface is up

• Locked thread