Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

Keeshhound posted:

It's not really cryptoracism; Ashley is advocating judging persons based solely on their species as opposed to their character. She might have more sympathetic motivations for that racism, but she's still just being racist, full stop. Or "speciesist," if you want to be anal.

I'd peg it as cryptoracism mostly because she equates species with nation-state allegiance and the latter is what she purports to be chiefly concerned about - the idea that a Turian, any Turian, might be ready to "sell you out" for a foreign government. But there's clearly some actual racism underneath there, it's just veiled in political anxiety.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

im cute
Sep 21, 2009

People are up their rear end about Ashley's pragmatism-couched prejudices meanwhile Navigator Pressley and that Admiral on the Citadel are just straight up "what's up with all the loving aliens you're enlisting?"

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Chill Nazi Frog posted:

People are up their rear end about Ashley's pragmatism-couched prejudices meanwhile Navigator Pressley and that Admiral on the Citadel are just straight up "what's up with all the loving aliens you're enlisting?"

But you see pressley died during mass effect 2 and you should be sad about that.

A tasty burger

orange juche fucked around with this message at 19:43 on Jul 16, 2017

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy

Milky Moor posted:

what is with people losing their minds when there's a character who can't be summed up as 'slavering xenophobe' or 'beacon of tolerance'

People today like it when everyone fits nicely in a box, it makes it easy to know who to dogpile/Otherize.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

Salad on a bun

hard counter
Jan 2, 2015

ultimately the reason they dropped the ball on ashley's characterization in me3 was because skepticism over how much an 'ally' the council races, and indeed all others, are to humanity or any group aside from their own becomes 100% vindicated - the games' an exercise in sifting through everyone's dirty laundry and you can piece together a condensed history of the milky way's time-honored tradition of selling others short to cut yourself ahead for the slightest, most short-sighted of reasons

i guess ash getting day drunk alone in her quarters maybe makes sense in that context but not much else she does works

Ekusukariba
Oct 11, 2012

Chill Nazi Frog posted:

The funny part about Pressley is his prejudice line is basically one throwaway line and if you pick the paragon line he basically admits to overreacting and it never comes up again, but then Bioware decided to give him a behind the scenes character arc in the free mass effect 2 dlc

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Norns posted:

Salad on a bun

Sounds good post a picture.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Arglebargle III posted:

Sounds good post a picture.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

wanna eat dat meat

im cute
Sep 21, 2009

those are some very ok-looking burger

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

I mean they are fine but definitely should be doubles

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

flamebroil yourself scrub

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Flamebroil a burger or myself?

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
The best part of this derail was someone inventing scenes in ME1 to make Ashley seem worse.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'

Android Blues posted:

Well, I mean, Shepard gives Garrus clearance to begin with, this isn't an issue of "a guy without clearance is wandering around here". Ashley is suggesting that his clearance should be revoked for the express reason that she does not consider Garrus a depoliticised citizen, but as a possible agent of the Turian Hierarchy. Quote:

Which is bonkers, since the Alliance and the Council races are officially allies, the Alliance and the Turians built this ship together, and Shepard works for the Council, not the Systems Alliance. They are in fact more an employee of the Turian Hierarchy, since their whole Spectre deal is partly funded by Turian taxpayers and signed off on by the Turian councillor, than Garrus, an unemployed citizen expert, is.

Ashley makes the assumption that Garrus, who has no formal political affiliation or employment to speak of, and when he did work was an employee of the species and nation-agnostic C-Sec, may be a hostile agent of a foreign government on the basis of his race. Hence, cryptoracism.

Now, I either had a stroke and became illiterate, or that quote doesn't actually say anything about Ashley considering him "a possible agent of the Turian Hierarchy".

You can do better than this.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'
also lolling at ashley being ~*~cryptoracist~*~ for equating species with nation state allegiance when 1. is there even one government in ME that isn't single-race 2. its one of the oldest tropes in sci-fi that there's one government for each species 3. she's also completely right because the salarians of all people end up stealing the normandy's stealth tech and using it to make stealth dreadnaughts

Lord Cyrahzax
Oct 11, 2012

Milky Moor posted:

also lolling at ashley being ~*~cryptoracist~*~ for equating species with nation state allegiance when 1. is there even one government in ME that isn't single-race 2. its one of the oldest tropes in sci-fi that there's one government for each species 3. she's also completely right because the salarians of all people end up stealing the normandy's stealth tech and using it to make stealth dreadnaughts

The Turian government is sort of multiracial, but only because it has subject species answering to it, so another good reason to be suspicious

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013
HI I LIKE TO GIVE ADVICE ON RELATIONSHIPS
I fail to see how it's racist to say 'Hmmm, so there was this race of guys who attacked us with no legitimate (to our minds) provocation or warning, who are specifically a militant state who subjugate other species. They work with a pair of other races who very clearly, specifically, and forthrightly, engineer the governance of the galaxy to keep themselves on top, and everybody else, not. Maybe we shouldn't assume that they have our best interests at heart, and just make sure that we're watching out for ourselves, because nobody else is going to.'

Or, put another way, is it 'racist' for the Afghan peoples not to be welcoming Westerners with open arms?

Thundercracker
Jun 25, 2004

Proudly serving the Ruinous Powers since as a veteran of the long war.
College Slice

Milky Moor posted:

I thought the Turians had a low conflict succession movement going on from the main gov't? Quarians probably come closest. Isn't participation in the migrant fleet completely voluntary? It's a ship by ship social democracy kind of thing.

I honestly think the idea of Earth being a single gov't is hardest to believe.

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT
Earth doesn't have a single government.
The Alliance is specifically 'The UN, but for Space'. Various Earth governments still exist and still run poo poo on earth, they just never talk about it outside the codex.

im cute
Sep 21, 2009

fruit on the bottom posted:

The best part of this derail was someone inventing scenes in ME1 to make Ashley seem worse.

She expressed what might be construed as a conservative opinion on dealing with the paralytic alien hegemony that governs all of "lawful space", therefore she is loving scum and anything goes.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider
Ash is basically a neonazi when you think about it.

im cute
Sep 21, 2009

Ash is a legacy military baby and a loving idiot and her armor is dumb and she'd probably rather be murdering little Turian children on Palaven.

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013
I don't see why you wouldn't trust a Council that approved the genocide of the Rachni and unleashing a sterility plague on the Krogan.

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀
Good point, but on the other hand

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox
These street fighter finals are really loving good

edit: whoops wrong thread. they are though!

PantsBandit fucked around with this message at 04:28 on Jul 17, 2017

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

PantsBandit posted:

These street fighter finals are really loving good

edit: whoops wrong thread. they are though!

If the street fighter finals were a kind of pudding, what kind of pudding would they be?

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Butterscotch

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider

monster on a stick posted:

I don't see why you wouldn't trust a Council that approved the genocide of the Rachni and unleashing a sterility plague on the Krogan.

Wow I can't tell the animals from the racist space nazis

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

If you want to derail this thread with some irrelevant game franchise talk then at least post some tasty pictures of food or describe the latest meal you enjoyed.

I had some cute little Korean burgers in Berlin:

poisonpill
Nov 8, 2009

The only way to get huge fast is to insult a passing witch and hope she curses you with Beast-strength.

Those look good. The problem I have with Vietnamese restaurants is that they always seem to have the craziest hours. Like 5 a.m. - 2:30 p.m. Tues/Thurs, closed Mon/Fri/Sun. Open all day Saturday (but on the day you go, they're closed). I love some banh mi, get it with radishes and mayo/chili sauce.

(The ends were bad)

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Palpek posted:

If you want to derail this thread with some irrelevant game franchise talk then at least post some tasty pictures of food or describe the latest meal you enjoyed.

I had some cute little Korean burgers in Berlin:

Where are the burgers at in that? I only see buns with rabbit food and no meat.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

Equating species with nation-state allegiance is in fact manifestly incorrect in the super liberal, globalised world of Mass Effect, where (for ex.) the Citadel is effectively a hypercosmopolitan nation-state unto itself, and Council space is a melting pot of various species and cultures, with places like Noveria, Ilium and Feros having residents from various species who don't divide themselves along ethnic lines, but just live as residents of a shared society.

The implication Ashley's making when she talks about "engines, sensors, weapons" being spied on by aliens is that one of them could be a spy. She does not complain "we shouldn't have civilians on the ship", she has a specific problem with those civilians being aliens, because aliens = agents of a foreign culture in her reckoning. It's pretty clear cut. Actually suggesting that she's right to think this because all the aliens in Mass Effect really are unthinking adherents to their ethno-static homeworlds (they aren't, and ethno-states do not in fact appear to be the rule outside those homeworlds) is a pretty funny misreading. Here's a nice cake.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

orange juche posted:

Where are the burgers at in that?
They're safely stored together with ME:A's facial animations. Just kidding, you're right, I took a random photo off google without inspecting it closely. Here's one showing the patty:

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
A few years ago, my brother gave me his used copy of Fallout 4 for Xmas. I think he's getting my copy of ME:A this year

TEENAGE WITCH
Jul 20, 2008

NAH LAD

Iron Crowned posted:

A few years ago, my brother gave me his used copy of Fallout 4 for Xmas. I think he's getting my copy of ME:A this year

why do u and ur brother hate each other?

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Iron Crowned posted:

Woah there, brush the glass out of your hair and shallow cuts before you huck your own stone back at him.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

TEENAGE WITCH posted:

why do u and ur brother hate each other?

I don't, hate my brother, he's got some kind of jealousy thing going on despite the fact that we live in different states.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hard counter
Jan 2, 2015

Android Blues posted:

Equating species with nation-state allegiance is in fact manifestly incorrect in the super liberal, globalised world of Mass Effect, where (for ex.) the Citadel is effectively a hypercosmopolitan nation-state unto itself, and Council space is a melting pot of various species and cultures, with places like Noveria, Ilium and Feros having residents from various species who don't divide themselves along ethnic lines, but just live as residents of a shared society.

:turianass: councillor, some quarian robotics scientists accidentally made some illegal AIs and there was a revolution

:liara: ban all quarians

:turianass: but very few quarians are actually robotics scientists, yet most quarians have had to abandon their planet because of something they didn't do and literally billions of others have even died during the revolution, and even the scientists only did this in error, surely a more measured response-

:liara: send no aid to quarians, ban all quarians and every time a quarian comes aboard the citadel use C-SEC to interrogate them to uncover their intentions, if this indiscriminate reduction in status causes racial bigotry just look the other way