Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Helen Highwater
Feb 19, 2014

And furthermore
Grimey Drawer
My Horizon panoramic camera has a fixed focus lens.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

erephus
May 24, 2012
\o/ \o/ \o/ \o/ \o/
\o/ \o/ \o/ \o/ \o/
My bad, fixed focus could have helped him with the out of focus problematique.

Late edit: It should have been "fixed out of focus".

erephus fucked around with this message at 11:06 on Jul 15, 2017

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Dorkroom Short Fiction Champion 2012

Young Orc
There are millions of fixed focus 35mm cameras in the wild. Most (all?) disposable cameras are fixed focus.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

DJExile posted:

those body-cap lenses olympus made I think are

They focus with a small lever. Infinity is close.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Young Orc

Submarine Sandpaper posted:

Infinity is close.

please don't post my existential crises

BANME.sh
Jan 23, 2008

What is this??
Are you some kind of hypnotist??
Grimey Drawer
dunning-kruger is real https://www.reddit.com/r/largeformat/comments/6lwive/i_want_to_become_a_professional_photographer_and/

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

As soon as you see the 'I currently shoot on the Nikon D3200' line you know you're in for a good ride. (Not to knock that camera in any way).

E: he took the criticism of his current photos ok, at least. There's hope!

EL BROMANCE fucked around with this message at 19:11 on Jul 17, 2017

bobmarleysghost
Mar 7, 2006

It's gonna be a long hard road from his starting spot: https://500px.com/chrismohindrooart

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

bobmarleysghost posted:

It's gonna be a long hard road from his starting spot: https://500px.com/chrismohindrooart

Some of them are okay, but most are really desaturated or kind of boring (ironic since he has a paragraph long spiel about calibrating color profiles and getting film that produces vibrant colors)

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!

change my name posted:

Some of them are okay, but most are really desaturated or kind of boring (ironic since he has a paragraph long spiel about calibrating color profiles and getting film that produces vibrant colors)

His photo: https://500px.com/photo/132426557/bass-harbor-lighthouse-during-sunset-by-chris-mohindroo

A professional's photo: http://www.acadiamagic.com/1200px/bass-harbor-0158.jpg

His comment:

quote:

With all due respect, the photo of the lighthouse you linked to does not look good. It is too saturated and the distortion detracts from the beautiful scene.

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Love the two extremes.

Cassius Belli
May 22, 2010

horny is prohibited

EL BROMANCE posted:

E: he took the criticism of his current photos ok, at least. There's hope!

Looking at his other posts it felt a little bit like the art school smile-and-nod-while-thinking-"but-that's-my-style" kind of "taking criticism", but maybe that's me.

He ran a (miserably failed) $20,000 Kickstarter $4,000 GoFundMe earlier to rent a suitcase full of top-shelf gear for a national parks trip, so I think I actually remember this guy (Kickstarter makes it pretty near impossible to find him again) because clearly that would give him his big break in his lovely greeting card photography business. He's just chasing a different magic pebble this time.

change my name posted:

His #1 critique of other photos is that the saturation is too high, which makes me wonder what the hell he wants to do with any film called "Velvia".

This said, everyone has different aesthetic preferences, and in his case "looks like poo poo" is probably not the insult most of us would take it for:

e: thanks Helen for the reminder - I must have confused him with some other "crowdfund my vacation" guy.

Cassius Belli fucked around with this message at 14:17 on Jul 18, 2017

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Yond Cassius posted:

Looking at his other posts it felt a little bit like the art school smile-and-nod-while-thinking-"but-that's-my-style" kind of "taking criticism", but maybe that's me.

Yeah I realized after that I'd misread one of the paragraphs, and he didn't actually learn anything at all really.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I think he's just scared of the sun and wants all photos to look like they were shot on grey days, maybe he's a vampire.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

Young Orc

both of these are bad

Helen Highwater
Feb 19, 2014

And furthermore
Grimey Drawer
His crowdfunding page is down (IIRC it was on GoFundMe), it was linked and quoted a few pages ago in this thread.

Checking out his Reddit post history, he's a hardcore Austrian economics libertarian. Which is ironic for someone who is asking communities for financial help.

Cassius Belli
May 22, 2010

horny is prohibited
"Do as I say..."

mAlfunkti0n
May 19, 2004
Fallen Rib
Looking through his post history. Wow.

https://www.reddit.com/r/photography/comments/6mhxeg/i_have_made_many_foolish_decisions_as_someone_who/

"For my trip to Grand Teton National Park, I tried to rent about $20,000 worth of gear. My parents made me send it back after a heated argument."

:derp:

mAlfunkti0n fucked around with this message at 18:09 on Jul 18, 2017

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

mAlfunkti0n posted:

"For my trip to Grand Teton National Park, I tried to rent about $20,000 worth of gear. My parents made me send it back after a heated argument."

:laffo:

E: soundmonkey make that quote the thread title you fukkn nerd

DJExile fucked around with this message at 18:14 on Jul 18, 2017

mAlfunkti0n
May 19, 2004
Fallen Rib
His post history is an enjoyable read in the book of "someone who makes far more rash decisions than me".

Oh, here's another good one ... "Ken Rockwell inspired me to look into large format and to get the photos right at the scene instead of repairing them."

Edit: Oh god I better stop ..

Ahh .. found my way out of the weird stuff.

Apparently the lens doesn't matter much:

mAlfunkti0n fucked around with this message at 18:43 on Jul 18, 2017

Helen Highwater
Feb 19, 2014

And furthermore
Grimey Drawer

mAlfunkti0n posted:

Looking through his post history. Wow.

https://www.reddit.com/r/photography/comments/6mhxeg/i_have_made_many_foolish_decisions_as_someone_who/

:derp:

You buried the lede with that. The full quote.

quote:

For my trip to Grand Teton National Park, I tried to rent about $20,000 worth of gear. My parents made me send it back after a heated argument. Considering the fact that I did not see the line between ability to pay and ability to afford, that might have been a good thing.

Also from a reply to the guy.

quote:

P.S. talking about regrets you might want to use a throwaway when you post about your scat fetish on reddit..

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

oh man that full quote makes it all the better

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...
I read it and can't help think it sounds like a 14 year old, not a 21 year old. Of course, he is going to Christian college, so there's that.

mAlfunkti0n
May 19, 2004
Fallen Rib

torgeaux posted:

I read it and can't help think it sounds like a 14 year old, not a 21 year old. Of course, he is going to Christian college, so there's that.

He's said several times in comments he has autism so I guess that makes a bit more sense now in hindsight.

Helen Highwater
Feb 19, 2014

And furthermore
Grimey Drawer
Yeah, it's super obvious he's on the spectrum. I used to be part of a forum that was graced by legendary autist Ullillia, and this guy reminds me so much of him. The laser focus on inconsequential stuff and the inability to look at a larger picture is super-typical behaviour.

mAlfunkti0n
May 19, 2004
Fallen Rib

Helen Highwater posted:

Yeah, it's super obvious he's on the spectrum. I used to be part of a forum that was graced by legendary autist Ullillia, and this guy reminds me so much of him. The laser focus on inconsequential stuff and the inability to look at a larger picture is super-typical behaviour.

It's over saturated.

rio
Mar 20, 2008

mAlfunkti0n posted:

It's over saturated.

I am reading that in the "it's tape" voice.

mAlfunkti0n
May 19, 2004
Fallen Rib

rio posted:

I am reading that in the "it's tape" voice.

I hear it now too and got a good laugh out of that.

Cassius Belli
May 22, 2010

horny is prohibited

mAlfunkti0n posted:

It's over saturated.

:itwaspoo:

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
From PYF AUG:

Woodenlung posted:

Cool photoshoot i saw on FB

Helen Highwater
Feb 19, 2014

And furthermore
Grimey Drawer
She's a fattie so we'll have her stuffing her face with burgers. A creative decision that someone thought was a good idea.

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Helen Highwater posted:

She's a fattie so we'll have her stuffing her face with burgers. A creative decision that someone thought was a good idea.

when life gives you a lemon of a model. take her to mcdonalds!

rio
Mar 20, 2008

Maybe her baby was conceived in a McDonalds.

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.
good thing there's a watermark. wouldn't want anyone stealing credit for these

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

A low contrast watermark with a gradient on it so no matter what the image is, you can't read half of it.

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.
A cool creative exposure trick that a lot of non-best photographers don't know is to just freeze the fries in mid-air. Let the observer decide the story. Maybe she's catching the fries skillfully. Maybe a potato just exploded. All the fries are important. Don't imply any real lines with them fries.

Maybe she just got engaged, to the fries and they've set a rough date. Smooching them potato boys.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
I'm pretty sure he picked that McDonald's as a location for its sick bokeh wallpaper and this was just the first model he could convince to go for a shoot there.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...
Sorry, I just can't get around the lumpy bra. I have to dispute they're the best photographer, they didn't help their model with her clothing choice very well. Otherwise, A+ would hire them for any shoot of flying fries.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
I like the pre-made bokeh background.