Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Reaching a higher level is a strategy, or at least part of one. The thing about Dragon Quest is there is no wrong way to play.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baxate
Feb 1, 2011

Setting all my dudes to fight wisely and letting them do the thinking for me. :troll:

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

RareAcumen posted:

Dhoulmagus is extremely mighty. When I beat him, Yangus and Angelo were dead, Eight didn't have Zing, and Jessica was barely keeping the two of them up with Caduceus. Eight was Oomphed and just keep Falcon Slashing and just barely managed to eke out a win with about 22 health between them.

I had to grind until angelo got the party heal spell. That fight is brutal.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Real hurthling! posted:

I had to grind until angelo got the party heal spell. That fight is brutal.

I did have multiheal when that happened to me! Also, that was my second time fighting him when I decided to make new playthrough because I accidentally deleted like 14 hours of gameplay by using the quick save in another file.

Heads up everyone, if you're on 3DS, you get two save files if you save at churches but only one if you use the quick save function. Don't use the latter without making a formal prayer save first! Learn from my mistake!

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

I can't remember if I had Multiheal for Dhoulmagus, but I actually did beat him my first try. The copy in the middle has way more HP than the other two, don't go after it first like I did. :ohdear:

What a great game though. I hope you enjoy the twists and turns that are to come, fellow fan.

Vakal
May 11, 2008
My main complaint about the D8 3DS version is the AI's avoidance of using Falcon Slash with the Falcon sword.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Just got DQ 5- oh poo poo a physical manual with colors on it!!!- haven't even started it yet, anything I should be aware of?

some bust on that guy
Jan 21, 2006

This avatar was paid for by the Silent Majority.

RareAcumen posted:

Just got DQ 5- oh poo poo a physical manual with colors on it!!!- haven't even started it yet, anything I should be aware of?

Just that a lot of people seem to think you need to grind in the first area but you don't at all. Much like having multiheal for Dhoulmagus, some people believe you need kasap for the first boss of DQ7. Neither are true.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

RareAcumen posted:

You'll probably want to recruit a Cureslime and/or King Cureslime for the final boss.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

I have the DS version, I should've mentioned earlier.

Ofecks
May 4, 2009

A portly feline wizard waddles forth, muttering something about conjured food.

Save often. About mid-way through the game you have a really big choice to make. It's been years since I played so I don't recall at what point exactly you want to make a save, so just save often and reset when the choice presents itself. Make 2 copies of that save and use each one for each choice.

some bust on that guy
Jan 21, 2006

This avatar was paid for by the Silent Majority.

RareAcumen posted:

I have the DS version, I should've mentioned earlier.

After you talk to every single person in all of the towns, use Party talk to hear the responses of your party members. Also do it every time you go to a new area or a new floor of every dungeon.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Most human party members have something to say in response to most NPC lines.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
If you don't pick the blonde, you're a bitch

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
The obvious joke waifu they added for the DS version is unironically the best waifu.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Tired Moritz posted:

If you don't pick Deborah you're an idiot.

Deborah is amazing :allears:

Bianca is fine... i guess.

Nera is the choice for boring and dumb people.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

The game has three save files. By the time you get around to the third one, you'll probably be ready for the choice where the biggest point in her favor is mechanical.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Bongo Bill posted:

The game has three save files. By the time you get around to the third one, you'll probably be ready for the choice where the biggest point in her favor is mechanical.
Isn't Debora also the best mechanically because claws?

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Ofecks posted:

Save often. About mid-way through the game you have a really big choice to make. It's been years since I played so I don't recall at what point exactly you want to make a save, so just save often and reset when the choice presents itself. Make 2 copies of that save and use each one for each choice.

I know about the marriage thing, and I remember that there's a trial to marry some rich guy's daughter that it revolves around. Or something like that. I read this a long time ago and I remember some things but not everything. All I can definitely say is that it was real cute. :3

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

DACK FAYDEN posted:

Isn't Debora also the best mechanically because claws?

Yes. I mean, rather, that Nera's ability to learn Kaboom is the most interesting thing about her.

I'm pretty sure that, even in the original version, the entire reason Nera exists is so that the player's inevitable marriage to Bianca is more meaningful to them because they chose it, so the choice and therefore an alternative had to exist. The fact that Nera is actually a fully supported character is really more of an easter egg.

Bongo Bill fucked around with this message at 03:01 on Jul 23, 2017

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
Yeah, IIRC the SFC version asks you multiple times if you really don't wanna reconsider, Bianca's dad dies, and she just works in the bar for the rest of her life. I mean, the DS version kinda guilt trips you too by having Deborah be the only one who ends up a lonely spinster, but you can at least have one guilt-free playthrough.

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

Also as I recall on SFC Nera would never gain levels if you picked her.

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

Alxprit posted:

Also as I recall on SFC Nera would never gain levels if you picked her.

(Spoilered; I wouldn't read these, RareAcumen!)

In the SFC version, she doesn't gain levels beyond 10 in the period after you marry her until the timeskip, but she will gain more levels when she returns after it. She gets a couple spells Bianca doesn't (Explodet/Kaboom as mentioned, Healmore) but in general her stats are quite poor.

Prism fucked around with this message at 06:47 on Jul 23, 2017

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Tired Moritz posted:

I couldn't stand her stupid country bumpkin accent and how whenever she said "don't" it was spelled "dunt"

Bongo Bill posted:

Yes. I mean, rather, that Nera's ability to learn Kaboom is the most interesting thing about her.

Was it just something about my playthrough or was attack magic in DQ5 so weak that it wasn't even worth considering after the first timeskip? Pretty much any character I had that wasn't healing/buffing/sapping was just bludgeoning the poo poo out of the enemy.

raditts fucked around with this message at 07:39 on Jul 23, 2017

Boco_T
Mar 12, 2003

la calaca tilica y flaca
I am ready to use Google Translate's camera feature and spend hours with my phone pointed at my Japanese 3DS:

Baxate
Feb 1, 2011

Boco_T posted:

I am ready to use Google Translate's camera feature and spend hours with my phone pointed at my Japanese 3DS:

:yeah:

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

raditts posted:

Was it just something about my playthrough or was attack magic in DQ5 so weak that it wasn't even worth considering after the first timeskip? Pretty much any character I had that wasn't healing/buffing/sapping was just bludgeoning the poo poo out of the enemy.

Eh, I think it's more that there's always that point in Dragon Quest where it's more economical to just hit the things or spam your super free endgame moves like Thin Air/Multislash/Boulder Toss while your mages just use Kabuff or Insulatle and do chip damage afterwards. 5 doesn't really give you a dedicated made until Madchën, so by the time she's leveled up you're already nearing that point.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Boco_T posted:

Is that 11? Or is there another game coming out I don't know about?

Boco_T
Mar 12, 2003

la calaca tilica y flaca
Yeah, DQ11 comes out in Japan on Saturday but like 3 weeks ago they put it up in the store for you to pre-load. So the game is downloaded and I just need to wait until midnight Saturday Japan time for it to unlock, which is I think around 11 AM Eastern time on Friday. And there was a free theme too.

Deki
May 12, 2008

It's Hammer Time!

Boco_T posted:

I wish you luck, I gave up on that pretty quickly when trying to do so with the 3ds monsters games. I have an older phone though so maybe it won't be as big of a pain for you.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

I like the guy with the oboe.

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost
https://twitter.com/DragonQuest/status/890950006869381125

No release date, but it looks like DQ XI will be coming the West!

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
No platform announcement yet. Maaan I hope the 3DS version comes over for the retro goodness.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever

Pureauthor posted:

No platform announcement yet. Maaan I hope the 3DS version comes over for the retro goodness.

I hope that it's on the Switch, for obvious reasons.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Nera is good actually.

The only one you aren't guilt tripped over. :colbert:

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy

Dr Pepper posted:

Nera is good actually.

The only one you aren't guilt tripped over. :colbert:

Doesn't she already have a dude she likes that likes her though? Seems like a bit of a guilt trip too.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Very pumped for DQ XI! Wild that it's a game that is out today in Japan and exists, they did it! Those crazy bastards did it!

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Ugh, V DS is far enough back that you actually need to use a church to find out how far away from a level up you are. :negative:

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...
I am going to be beyond pissed if they don't bring over the 3ds version.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Bigass Moth posted:

I am going to be beyond pissed if they don't bring over the 3ds version.

For XI?