Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

LordSaturn posted:

ah jeez, I did this to myself once, except it was Python and they eventually caught me out on static methods

dunning-kruger or not, never offer them more expertise than they need

the big problem is that recruiter/hr 9/10 is very different from 9/10 to the programmers. if the applicant answers honestly early hr won't advance them

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shaman Linavi
Apr 3, 2012

hobbesmaster posted:

the big problem is that recruiter/hr 9/10 is very different from 9/10 to the programmers. if the applicant answers honestly early hr won't advance them

going on this, for a lot of federal applications they use a 1-5 scale and you better believe that everyone is putting all 5s regardless of what they actually know because of this reason

JewKiller 3000
Nov 28, 2006

by Lowtax
x/10 ratings translate as follows:

<=5: nobody ever puts this
6: i have never heard of this technology
7: i read an article about it once
8: i did the hello world tutorial and never touched it again
9: i've actually used it
10: i either invented it, or i'm a goddamn idiot

Mikey-San
Nov 3, 2005

I'm Edith Head!

cis autodrag posted:

holy poo poo everyone drives like it's mad max here. how are there not 50 car fireballs every day?

i once pulled up to a stop light in cupertino and next to me was an idiot in a giant fuckoff SUV with a laptop open against the steering wheel

i figure i'm lucky to be alive

heated game moment
Oct 30, 2003

Lipstick Apathy
the guy i was sitting next to at the bar the other day was an it recruiter. he was bragging about getting an indian lady to do a job for 90k when the going market rate for her would have been 150 or more because she needed the job for work visa :thumbsup:

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

cycling is good although many cyclists are not

traveling for onsite work is universally bad tho

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice

JewKiller 3000 posted:

I think I may have not gotten a govt job once because I didn't know this

Sweeper
Nov 29, 2007
The Joe Buck of Posting
Dinosaur Gum

JewKiller 3000 posted:

I was thinking that I would be a 4 before reading this, now I see I'm 10

huhu
Feb 24, 2006
What are your compensation expectations? Please use specific dollar amounts (applications containing "Negotiable" will not be considered) * 

FamDav
Mar 29, 2008

huhu posted:

What are your compensation expectations? Please use specific dollar amounts (applications containing "Negotiable" will not be considered) * 

input is restricted to 5 digits

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

Dislike button posted:

the guy i was sitting next to at the bar the other day was an it recruiter. he was bragging about getting an indian lady to do a job for 90k when the going market rate for her would have been 150 or more because she needed the job for work visa :thumbsup:

Name and shame the company

ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

:burger::burger::burger::burger::burger:

Establish the Buns

:burger::burger::burger::burger::burger:

FamDav posted:

input is restricted to 5 digits

1e420

RISCy Business
Jun 17, 2015

bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork
Fun Shoe

huhu posted:

:cripes:

Mao Zedong Thot
Oct 16, 2008

THATS A DEALBREAKER ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Mao Zedong Thot
Oct 16, 2008

last day here

last conference call with stupid customers stupider customer

feelin chippy

feelin good

gently caress these people

compuserved
Mar 20, 2006

Nap Ghost

huhu posted:

:redflag:

ADINSX
Sep 9, 2003

Wanna run with my crew huh? Rule cyberspace and crunch numbers like I do?

VOTE YES ON 69 posted:

last day here

last conference call with stupid customers stupider customer

feelin chippy

feelin good

gently caress these people

:yeah:

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord

LordSaturn posted:

ah jeez, I did this to myself once, except it was Python and they eventually caught me out on static methods

dunning-kruger or not, never offer them more expertise than they need

if @staticmethod was all that relevant to them you may have dodged a bullet there

you should know about super() though, this is how I feel like as a professional p-langer

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

Looking for a problem solving go getter who never takes "no" for an answer.

aka looking for someone who will do whatever i say even if dumb and will work overtime everyday for free

Woolwich Bagnet
Apr 27, 2003

Had an interview in the bay area today. Guess it went ok. Another next month in new York. Can't wait to never have money again!

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

not as good as my favorite:

What is your minimum salary (hourly rate) requirement? Please provide the minimum rate that you would accept for this position.

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

I got asked in a HR phone screening today what my salary expectations were, I gave the average rate for my experience, they were like "uhhh yeah that's going to be a bit high, we're actually thinking like <15% less than the average>". I told them I wasn't going to proceed.

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

qhat posted:

I got asked in a HR phone screening today what my salary expectations were, I gave the average rate for my experience, they were like "uhhh yeah that's going to be a bit high, we're actually thinking like <15% less than the average>". I told them I wasn't going to proceed.

that's ok, they weren't going to proceed either. the specific number didn't really matter. just having the discussion that early was a fuckup that guaranteed failure.

HR's job is to filter the ever-living gently caress out of candidates to "avoid wasting anyone's time." the HR people have absolutely nothing to gain from a successful hire, but they will be blamed if anything goes wrong with an individual candidate. so it's in their best interest to aggressively filter out anyone who asks for a nickel more than the salary band on the internal req. if that means there are no candidates remaining, that's ok, it's "a tight market"

hiring managers don't feel this way. they're gonna be flexible about the salary bands and the req because what they actually want is someone to do the mountain of work left un-done! they give zero shits about how HR feels about any of it.

your goal is to avoid discussing salary early with HR, because they're useless loving parasites on the hiring process

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene
qhat, if you have any non-HR contacts at the firm, i would drop'em a gracious note that describes the situation (cloaked in a great deal of euphemism! don't be snippy) and indicates how excited you would be about a more senior position with a more suitable salary range!

you hosed up real bad talkin money with HR but that doesn't mean you can't still go around hr

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

qhat, if you have any non-HR contacts at the firm, i would drop'em a gracious note that describes the situation (cloaked in a great deal of euphemism! don't be snippy) and indicates how excited you would be about a more senior position with a more suitable salary range!

you hosed up real bad talkin money with HR but that doesn't mean you can't still go around hr

I didn't choose to talk money, they specifically asked me at the end of the phone call. I read the reviews on glassdoor afterwards and they seemed to corroborate the idea that everyone there is massively underpaid, so I think I'll just avoid.

Mao Zedong Thot
Oct 16, 2008

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

that's ok, they weren't going to proceed either. the specific number didn't really matter. just having the discussion that early was a fuckup that guaranteed failure.

HR's job is to filter the ever-living gently caress out of candidates to "avoid wasting anyone's time." the HR people have absolutely nothing to gain from a successful hire, but they will be blamed if anything goes wrong with an individual candidate. so it's in their best interest to aggressively filter out anyone who asks for a nickel more than the salary band on the internal req. if that means there are no candidates remaining, that's ok, it's "a tight market"

hiring managers don't feel this way. they're gonna be flexible about the salary bands and the req because what they actually want is someone to do the mountain of work left un-done! they give zero shits about how HR feels about any of it.

your goal is to avoid discussing salary early with HR, because they're useless loving parasites on the hiring process

ahh yes this is very true in a made up company where HR is incredibly bad, but the rest of the company is incredibly, inexplicably good

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

hr is completely separated from the hiring manager and his budget so they really don't know truly what kind of leeway he has. can't read minds after all

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

VOTE YES ON 69 posted:

ahh yes this is very true in a made up company where HR is incredibly bad, but the rest of the company is incredibly, inexplicably good

all companies have bad HR

from the perspective of a hiring manager, HR is intrinsically bad, as a thing. it's a compliance function first and foremost. "success" in hiring is defined as "not getting sued"

obviously compliance is important but it is probably not your major concern as a job-seeker or hiring manager!

Notorious b.s.d. fucked around with this message at 19:39 on Jul 15, 2017

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

qhat posted:

I didn't choose to talk money, they specifically asked me at the end of the phone call. I read the reviews on glassdoor afterwards and they seemed to corroborate the idea that everyone there is massively underpaid, so I think I'll just avoid.

9/10ths of the salary negotiation is deflecting clumsy bullshit from HR

heated game moment
Oct 30, 2003

Lipstick Apathy
at some point hr was a very useful and professional field but it turned in to a bunch of glorified secretaries who act as nothing more than bureaucratic gatekeepers in most cases

it's also a field that is overwhelmingly female and I'm quite sure this has something to do with how hr is viewed and treated now

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Dislike button posted:

it's also a field that is overwhelmingly female and I'm quite sure this has something to do with how hr is viewed and treated now

as evidenced by this thread that is largely bitter angry men who a woman dared to challenge even trivially

heated game moment
Oct 30, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

Stymie posted:

as evidenced by this thread that is largely bitter angry men who a woman dared to challenge even trivially

absolutely. and I think most organizations are now set up to have talent management solely up to the group/team level, if that, so hr is just outsourced administrative bs instead

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer
are all these had owl city tribute bands they're playing in the training room part of the brainwashing?

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

cis autodrag posted:

are all these had owl city tribute bands they're playing in the training room part of the brainwashing?

i googled it, it was fireflies

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

PokeJoe posted:

i googled it, it was fireflies

:v:

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an
armor-piercing crowbar! Rigoddamndicu𝜆ous.

cis autodrag posted:

do you have any desire to use Apple maps? seems like a decent canary

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer
lol, this training is exactly like epics corporate philosophy class where the CEO just lectures you about culture for 3 hours.

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

cis autodrag posted:

cis autodrag posted:

lol, this training is exactly like epics corporate philosophy class where the CEO just lectures you about culture for 3 hours.

yeh it can be a bit cringe-inducing

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...
neto is even better

i was on a business trip and missed the intel new hire training and did it at the 3 month mark. the idea was to give us a challenge, see how everyone failed, then give us teamsmanship training and have us all succeed. problem is they used b&w photos of k'nex, which don't actually obscure what's going on, so i built the little helicopter on the first pass

"so jawn, how was training?"
"i made something. they made me take it apart and re-build it"
"welcome to working at intel!!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug

cis autodrag posted:

http://www.businessinsider.com/ceo-of-barstool-sports-texting-employees-2017-7 posted:

If Erika Nardini is going to hire you, first she wants to know you're committed to your job — even on a Sunday at 11 a.m.

Nardini is the CEO of the sports and men's lifestyle site Barstool Sports. In a recent New York Times interview, she detailed her process for vetting job candidates. After saying she was a "horrible interviewer" because of her impatience, she explained a unique process for gauging potential hires' interest in the job.

"Here's something I do," she said. "If you're in the process of interviewing with us, I'll text you about something at 9 p.m. or 11 a.m. on a Sunday just to see how fast you'll respond."

The maximum response time she'll allow: three hours.

"It's not that I'm going to bug you all weekend if you work for me," she said, "but I want you to be responsive. I think about work all the time. Other people don't have to be working all the time, but I want people who are also always thinking."

The policy tracks with some of Nardini's other beliefs about work-life balance. In her Times interview, she said she valued work ethic to the extent it matters "more than most anything," and that young people new to their careers should get comfortable with discomfort.

"It's really great to feel uncomfortable," she said. "And you change so much as a person from that."
coulda gone in the tech bubble thread as well

• Locked thread