Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Frijolero
Jan 24, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
Bernie is going to smite the Balrog (Hillary), defeat Sauron (Trump) and free Middle Earth (consolidate the federal data centers).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Tight Booty Shorts posted:

It's kind of weird how many Shillbots now try to claim that prison labor isn't slave labor lol

liberals love it because it seems really similar to work release programs and they can crow about how rehabilitative it is giving prisoners chances to learn real-world skills while being rented to capitalist scum as free/cheap labor that will be punished with bad behavior demerits (and thus delayed parole) if they refuse

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Frijolero posted:

Bernie is going to smite the Balrog (Hillary), defeat Sauron (Trump) and free Middle Earth (consolidate the federal data centers).

But god forbid anyone ever make a Harry Potter reference.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Frijolero posted:

Hillary as Saruman actually makes a lot more sense

it also makes sense that berniebros would make LOTR refs like hillarymen make Harry Potter ones

(efb)

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Use Last Man Standing references, characters and plot devices to speak about the 2020 Dem primary

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

I would communicate entirely in Thrilling Adventure Hour references, but there's a character called Sadie Doyle, who I'm pretty sure that internet nuisance SadyDoyle named herself after, and it would just get confusing.

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe
I only understand politics if it can be easily related to my favorite anime characters

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

its morphin time

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

Frijolero posted:

It's in the original, which only bring up more questions.

Can you blame them? Like even the weird illuminat-type people, they're misguided but at the end of the day at least they know that DC is a gently caress and 90% of politicians don't care about them.

Thunderbro doesn't know things

Zhulik
Nov 14, 2012

The Montreal Star
Small brain: harry potter references
Normal brain: lotr references
Glowing brain: dark tower references
Galaxy brain: metal gear solid references
Transcendental universe brain: mumintrollen references

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/neeratanden/status/886754739450413056

Frijolero
Jan 24, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
Using the 1977 classic animated film The Rescuers:

Bernard (Bernie) and Miss Bianca (Warren) are going to ride on a giant loving bird (legalize weed) and rescue Penny the orphan (enact Medicare for All). Penny the Orphan (The American People) gets the precious stone (seize the means of production) and gets adopted in the end (build full communism).*

*Not to mention the evil lady is Hillary and the bumbling idiot man is Trump

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016

Liberals need to stop ruining Game of Thrones for me everyone

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler

Squizzle posted:

its morphin time

buttigiegin right now

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

LordAbaddon posted:

Liberals need to stop ruining Game of Thrones for me

yeah that's grrm's job

Flip Yr Wig
Feb 21, 2007

Oh please do go on
Fun Shoe

Did not expect Neera to advocate violently purging long-standing political dynasties, but hey, maybe the check came late.

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

this is really cool and i hope the nuns win

https://twitter.com/RoseAnnDeMoro/status/887028675773726720

UHD
Nov 11, 2006

godspeed nuns

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

We went over this last year, Hillary is Stannis

He wants to be king because it's his turn

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

loquacius posted:

lets see, kills more popular king to get his chance, loses to the scum of the earth because of lovely planning and leadership

checks out

Frijolero
Jan 24, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

Raskolnikov38 posted:

lets see, kills more popular king to get his chance, loses to the scum of the earth because of lovely planning and leadership

checks out

:vince:

Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme

Raskolnikov38 posted:

checks out

not sure i remember hillary burning chelsea at the stake, however

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016

loquacius posted:

Shes actually Cersei,

book stannis is also much more competent and is basically a different character entirely

Edit: :goonsay:

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

Concerned Citizen posted:

wait til 2020

Zerg Mans
Oct 19, 2006

loquacius posted:

Hillary as Saruman actually makes a lot more sense

it also makes sense that berniebros would make LOTR refs like hillarymen make Harry Potter ones

(efb)

also cause they nerds lmao

Frijolero
Jan 24, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
https://twitter.com/KidRock/status/886995408416886785

:same:

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

How is whether you work hard connected to whether you can understand laws

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

his campaign is funded by wanrer bros

UHD
Nov 11, 2006

only true laborers can understand our glorious peoples tax code

Flip Yr Wig
Feb 21, 2007

Oh please do go on
Fun Shoe

You heard it here first: free legal education. As an employee of a law school, I can only welcome this development.

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES

Frijolero
Jan 24, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

loquacius posted:

You ivory towers libs just don't get it.*

*I am being 100% sincere btw

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

he's tri-dogging!

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

sorry that bit from koth is the only kid rock thing i know

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
"Kid Rock — The singer told Fox News’s Megyn Kelly he supports retired neurosurgeon Ben Carson, saying, “The guy makes a whole lot of sense to me.”"

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

I mean, if Mook had told her to...

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

loquacius posted:

Service guarantees citizenship.

Gene Hackman Fan
Dec 27, 2002

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

anime was right posted:

"Kid Rock — The singer told Fox News’s Megyn Kelly he supports retired neurosurgeon Ben Carson, saying, “The guy makes a whole lot of sense to me.”"

i'm sorry, i thought hepatitis wasn't a neurodegenerative disorder :confused:

Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme
i think that the fact that gov. bureaucracy is so difficult to navigate has a severe negative effect on people's feelings about government. if every interaction you have with government is unpleasant, it's no surprise people become less enthusiastic about interacting with it more. if you've ever been on unemployment, you probably know how states try to make you feel as actively awful about it as possible. and if you didn't receive your check, you will find you can't contact them for help today because the phone lines on wednesday are reserved for people with odd number social security numbers.

i suspect this has had an impact on the movement toward conservativism among the less well-off, as they're more likely to face overloaded and unresponsive agencies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES

i think that the fact that gov. bureaucracy is so difficult to navigate has a severe negative effect on people's feelings about government. if every interaction you have with government is unpleasant, it's no surprise people become less enthusiastic about interacting with it more. if you've ever been on unemployment, you probably know how states try to make you feel as actively awful about it as possible. and if you didn't receive your check, you will find you can't contact them for help today because the phone lines on wednesday are reserved for people with odd number social security numbers.

i suspect this has had an impact on the movement toward conservativism among the less well-off, as they're more likely to face overloaded and unresponsive agencies.

I don't love everything about this Jeff Madrick essay in the New York Review of Books, but it has a pretty good section on how the seasonality of earning power / poverty coupled with the difficulty of applying for benefits means people on the borderline of the annual poverty line get hosed.

Jeff Madrick posted:

In an earlier period, he almost certainly would have had a full-time job with one of the manufacturing companies in southern Ohio, like GM. No such jobs were now available, and the couple spent as much as six months of the year below the poverty line. Becky hesitantly signed up for food stamps and got some aid for her children’s health insurance. But workers become ineligible for such programs when their incomes temporarily rise above the poverty line, and if their incomes fall again, they must reapply, which can be difficult.

Morduch and Schneider find that struggling and insecure Americans have developed a range of coping strategies. Many of them do save, but usually for specific goals like a down payment for a car or a child’s wedding. The same is true of Individual Retirement Accounts. Many savers withdraw the funds long before retirement, even though this is subject to a tax penalty. Only about half of all American families now have retirement savings, despite the tax advantages of IRAs and similar accounts.

But low-income Americans also try to save in innovative ways. Some have formed savings clubs, whose members each agree to meet a weekly or monthly target. Working on such goals collectively makes it easier to save. Others have formed sharing groups, where they agree to help one another out when financial trouble appears. Notably, the authors find few instances of reckless spending.

Public policy is slow to catch up with the episodic poverty and general volatility of incomes in this economy. It is difficult to qualify for programs such as food stamps and Medicaid on a short-term basis. Better regulation of credit providers to protect borrowers is also needed. Lending terms need to be clearer, and abusive interest rates controlled. The Consumer Financial Protection Bureau, originally proposed by Senator Elizabeth Warren when she was still a Harvard Law School professor, has made notable progress on these issues, but the authors argue that much more needs to be done.

• Locked thread