Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Best quote from the parents.

quote:

“It didn’t really hit home. Even with the Aaliyah situation, now that I think about it, ‘Age Ain’t Nothing But a Number’ ... but you don’t think about that. You grew up with the song, and you like the song.”

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

i want the pee tape to be real so every time someone in my family posts something dumb on facebook I can just link the piss tape

Mike-o
Dec 25, 2004

Now I'm in your room
And I'm in your bed

Grimey Drawer

KildarX posted:

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-40635267

Welp. Apparently someone went knocking on Putins door too early on a sunday guys.

loving good.

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
WHY DID YOU GIVE ME LIFE MASTER, EXISTENCE IS PAAAAAIN

https://twitter.com/bilalfarooqui/status/887025375754166272

https://www.popville.com/2017/07/calm-down-elon-musk/

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011
Pro post/avatar combo there.

Naramyth
Jan 22, 2009

Australia cares about cunts. Including this one.

Dead Reckoning posted:

Pro post/avatar combo there.

sharknado slashfic
Jun 24, 2011

https://twitter.com/Vivek/status/659024773511442433

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Looks like dayman was victorious.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Duzzy Funlop posted:

This is one of the names that rings the biggest of bells, but I couldn't name a single loving movie of his to save my life.

Go watch North By Northwest.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
Self awareness: none

https://twitter.com/realdonaldtrump/status/225332477391147012

Lol from 2012 never mind

boop the snoot fucked around with this message at 22:00 on Jul 17, 2017

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde
https://twitter.com/KidRock/status/886995408416886785

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

did he legally change his name because its gonna be funny when he loses because kid rock isn't on the ballot but his real name is

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde
maybe he'll clean up and go full Robert James Ritchie and surprise us with his insight into Michigan and the plight of the working.... bwhahaatibaba

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

"Our tax code is so complicated!" has always come across to me as one of the more bizarre complaints coming from working class people. Like, anything that affects people that don't own multiple properties and businesses and manage gigantic fortunes is generally pretty simple. They even call the standard tax form the "ez" one

I guess it's just another one of those things the rich convinced the poor was insanely important.

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde
I hope the next election after that, other famed Michigan trash musicians Violent J or Shaggy 2 Dope announce, and win senatorial seats, and/or the presidency

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

To be fair, the 1040ez is probably too complicated for anyone who could be considered Kid Rock's base.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
KID ROCK WAS BOOOOOOOORRRRRRN FREEEEEEEE

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

Buca di Bepis posted:

"Our tax code is so complicated!" has always come across to me as one of the more bizarre complaints coming from working class people. Like, anything that affects people that don't own multiple properties and businesses and manage gigantic fortunes is generally pretty simple. They even call the standard tax form the "ez" one

I guess it's just another one of those things the rich convinced the poor was insanely important.

If there is one thing my time in the work force has convinced me of, it's that "carefully read the instructions and then fill out this two page form using simple arithmetic" is beyond the capabilities or willingness of a large fraction of people. The fact that doing your taxes involves a lookup table places it squarely within the realm of black magic for people who "just don't like math." (Which really is just a socially acceptable way of declaring to the world that you are lazy.) People are loving stupid, is my point. Which is why Robert James "Kid Rock" Ritchie is running for Senate.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

Buca di Bepis posted:

It's really way, way too complicated. Even the 1040EZ isn't the easiest thing in the world for someone who is completely unfamiliar with clerical work, and plenty of people with "simple" situations (kids and a house) who need to itemize can't even do that. The government gets all of the needed information just as much as you do, it would be trivial to process taxes automatically and send you a simple return (that you can dispute if you care to).

But of course, the tax filing company lobby (no, really).

Mike-o
Dec 25, 2004

Now I'm in your room
And I'm in your bed

Grimey Drawer

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

But of course, the tax filing company lobby (no, really).

The one and only time I tried turbo tax, they loving failed me and I had to redo my loving poo poo. THANKS TURBO TAX.

Best Friends
Nov 4, 2011

Buca di Bepis posted:

The answer to all these things is that the average Republican sees themselves as working class but is actually a relatively high earner living in the suburbs. The movement is best understood as a lifestyle brand, like Marlboro.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

That's surprisingly cogent coming from him.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
There's a reason taxes have professions dedicated to them in several fields. Its because taxes can be confusing as poo poo if you get more than a w-2.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Mike-o posted:

The one and only time I tried turbo tax, they loving failed me and I had to redo my loving poo poo. THANKS TURBO TAX.

I've used turbo tax over the last couple years and I've not gotten dinged for it, but then again I'm simple I get 1099 Independent Contractor and only really get the standard deduction + education tax credit.

20 Blunts
Jan 21, 2017
I'd like to believe when I see portraits commissioned by the Medicis or the Catholic Church, or sculpture by Rodin for public works in Paris, that at one point or another wealth and luxury somewhat intersected good taste and the arts. I don't think any truly good musicians find themselves running for Senate though. Nor do good businessmen gravitate towards to the presidency. Pretty mixed up world huh. I must have full blown Trump numbness now because the Kid Rock candidacy is just adding to the imaginable unimaginable. Or unimaginable imaginable not sure which.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

At what point does it stop making sense to use TurboTax and more worth it to go through an accountant? I stopped taking the standard deduction and I'm afraid of missing out on things to deduct.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
What i want to know is why republicans want to kill the job creators of HR Block etc.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

tastefully arranged labia posted:

At what point does it stop making sense to use TurboTax and more worth it to go through an accountant? I stopped taking the standard deduction and I'm afraid of missing out on things to deduct.

If you have enough money that you have a growing savings/retirement account - it is worth it and tax deductible that you hire someone to do your taxes.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

TBeats posted:

There's a reason taxes have professions dedicated to them in several fields. Its because taxes can be confusing as poo poo if you get more than a w-2.

Taxes are fairly simple if you look at your own specific cases. It gets complicated if you have corporate entities involved (e.g. a home business) but even then, it's not as bad as it's made out to be. There's a huge cultural movement to convince people that taxes are complicated... But then most people don't understand tax brackets, either (You can't take home less money for working overtime for christ's sake.)

That's not to say the whole drat process couldn't be streamlined - It absolutely should - but it's one of those things that is way less complicated than people have decided it it. Like algebra.

Also tax codes are long and complex for a goddamn reason. It's to plug loving loopholes.

Time Crisis Actor
Apr 28, 2002

by Hand Knit
I bet that H&R Block employs more Americans than the coal mining industry

Missionary Positron
Jul 6, 2004
And now for something completely different
I get my tax form sent to me by the government, with pretty much everything neatly pre-calculated . If I notice any mistakes, I just head over to their website, make the changes and I'm done.

Thanks, big government :smug:

But seriously, why is the American system so comparatively complicated?

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Deathy McDeath posted:

I bet that H&R Block employs more Americans than the coal mining industry

They do but only four months out of the year.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

Peetown Manning posted:

I'd like to believe when I see portraits commissioned by the Medicis or the Catholic Church, or sculpture by Rodin for public works in Paris, that at one point or another wealth and luxury somewhat intersected good taste and the arts. I don't think any truly good musicians find themselves running for Senate though. Nor do good businessmen gravitate towards to the presidency. Pretty mixed up world huh. I must have full blown Trump numbness now because the Kid Rock candidacy is just adding to the imaginable unimaginable. Or unimaginable imaginable not sure which.

The Thinker was the American Badass of its day.

Arc Light
Sep 26, 2013

Mike-o posted:

Turbotax is legit terrible if you're still active duty. It told me that I needed to file NY state/city taxes while stationed outside the state. That turned out to be completely untrue, and getting that year's state/city taxes refunded was an enormous pain in the rear end.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

Missionary Positron posted:

I get my tax form sent to me by the government, with pretty much everything neatly pre-calculated . If I notice any mistakes, I just head over to their website, make the changes and I'm done.

Thanks, big government :smug:

But seriously, why is the American system so comparatively complicated?

This has been done in the United States and every single time the tax preparer lobby comes down on it with the money-fist of an angry corporate God and loving crushes the program.

America is all the really lovely parts of cyberpunk without dragons for president or guys riding nuclear motorcycles.

Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]
If you get too famous you should be put to death imo

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country

bird food bathtub posted:

This has been done in the United States and every single time the tax preparer lobby comes down on it with the money-fist of an angry corporate God and loving crushes the program.

I also remember a NPR article that talked about California doing this, and conservative groups actually like complicated taxes, since if people get pissed of at doing their taxes, they hate the government that makes them do it.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
the tax code is hilariously complicated because it means a million ways for rich people to pay less and it means tax prep companies get to gently caress everyone else

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

Woof Blitzer posted:

If you get too famous you should be put to death imo

Heresy against GiP icon Katy Perry

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

• Locked thread