Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Thundercracker posted:

It's every 6 times you damage him with anything, including Soul Breaks. One strat is to damage him 5 times and then wait for the transition to a new element as it resets the count.

Which is honestly more trouble than it's worth especially towards the end when he starts to spam Ultima. Personally, just stick Shellga or the bard equivalent on someone that's not the healer.

It's an extra sweet victory when you clear A+ fights with a mage team every since Cloud USB was released. Garnet the swiss-army utility knife was great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Grizzled Patriarch posted:

The problem is (as always) dipshit pubbies bringing nothing but AoE blitzing down the mortibody immediately and keeping it under 50% for the entire fight.

edit: Also the Apoc is fuckin' nuts even with stoplock, you still need a ton of mitigation because Seymour starts throwing around 3 actions per turn at the end and they all do like 3k damage through Wall + Shell, and half of them are AoE. I'll probably try another time or two tomorrow but after that I just might not bother, I really don't need any more 4* dex motes for the forseeable future and it's one of those fights where everything goes smoothly for 80% of the fight and then explodes into a million pieces at the finish line because of a horrendous weak phase, which are my absolute least favorite fight designs. Might just not be worth the frustration.

Doing apoc multiplayer fights with totally random pick up groups is generally not worth the effort or frustration unless they're brainless snoozefests with no real mechanics besides "hit boss harder" like XIV Titan.

A friend of mine had a fun evening getting drunk and joining random groups for Soulcage apoc back in the IX event and the amount of parties where people refused to bring any basic mitigation, healing, or utility to a loving apoc fight and would still mash the go button as soon as the party filled was amazing. Like I'd even drop a "Hold On" stamp and start pulling out Onion and Yshtola and they'd mash go immediately before I could because the 6 DPS and 2 healer meta with no support abilities is definitely going to be able to handle it.

It couldn't handle it.

Kanos fucked around with this message at 17:47 on Jul 17, 2017

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost
Stop doing raids with pubbies.

Randabis
Apr 2, 2005

Yeah it's better to just get us goons in the discord to help out. Between what everyone has there there should never be a fight you won't be able to master.

Myself I've mainly just been powering through elite dungeons I haven't completed yet while everything is half stamina.

Are we getting another half stamina nightmare dungeons again any time soon? I'd like to finally finish the rest of those. I got most of them done last time but then a bunch of stuff came up.

Neutral Zone Trap
Nov 6, 2011

It's in the garbage. Where it belongs.
I beat X CM but ...

It was close initially with me looking at MMDZ level 68 Seymour going "gently caress yeah 2x9999 Dark Zone :smuggo:" to "gently caress no this team has no one else doing damage Seymour dies to doom with one and half sisters left to kill". Had to take the hard path with no MM, but just needed a bit more power.

Having no eggs I literally smashed the piggy bank open. I cashed in my remaining souls, MC1s and MC2s for growth eggs.

I hope the next event is Type 0 or some other no-CM joke realm, the egg vault needs to recover.

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

As much as I'd love to do raids with goons, I usually end up playing at really weird times and I'm pretty sure there aren't a whole lot of people around in the discord group then.

Snazzy Frocks
Mar 31, 2003

Scratchmo
i have done 100% of all my raids with pubbies

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

yeah it's been quite a while since i last had trouble clearing a boss with a pickup team.

sure they're not all winners but when you see a single healer, zero-support group it's pretty easy to bail on it.

Snazzy Frocks
Mar 31, 2003

Scratchmo
hell i bailed mid fight yesterday when i realized no one was packing res break for seymour because i didnt want to lose 20 stam for no mastery. also if people are being dumb then just run your own raid.

the worst part about raiding though is that if people change their abilities and items around it sometimes wont update on the UI so youre left wondering why you have 3 shellgas and 2 full breaks equipped and people clicking 'ready to go' when its nothing like that at all

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Snazzy Frocks posted:

the worst part about raiding though is that if people change their abilities and items around it sometimes wont update on the UI so youre left wondering why you have 3 shellgas and 2 full breaks equipped and people clicking 'ready to go' when its nothing like that at all

i really really hate how this bug has been there since they debuted the multiplayer system and has never been addressed

Benthalus
Jul 5, 2002

Or you can just master all the raids solo. :smug:

Bell_
Sep 3, 2006

Tiny Baltimore
A billion light years away
A goon's posting the same thing
But he's already turned to dust
And the shitpost we read
Is a billion light-years old
A ghost just like the rest of us

Benthalus posted:

Or you can just master all the raids solo. :smug:
Not nearly as fun as playing with other folks.

To whom can you spam stamps when you play alone?

ceaselessfuture
Apr 9, 2005

"I'm thirty," I said. "I'm five years too old to lie to myself and call it honor."
Finally made an account: please critique my A-team and let me know what I can shoot for next!

https://www.ffrkcentral.com/profile/5wNM

I can do most content up to around 160 where I start running into trouble, but I just got Fran's BSB so that might change.

iamsosmrt
Jun 14, 2008

ceaselessfuture posted:

Finally made an account: please critique my A-team and let me know what I can shoot for next!

https://www.ffrkcentral.com/profile/5wNM

I can do most content up to around 160 where I start running into trouble, but I just got Fran's BSB so that might change.

Did you start a week ago? I'm kind of amazed that you're already up to 118 Stamina, yet only have 34 mythril in the bank. I'm guessing you made some questionable pulls on some decent but not great XII banners.

Anyway, if you can consistently clear through 160, I don't think there's much for you to do except keep hoarding up mythril until the next big Fest in September. You can pull for some banners in between if you really like the characters, but you kind of need a bunch of random things to help--boosts, faiths, Medica, etc. The fest banners will be the most beginner friendly (along with strongest all round) in the coming months. There's going to be some strong realm banners here and there, but your chances of a bad or mostly useless relic are relatively high.

Sidenote, just cleared X CM, basically leaning on Wakka and Seymour's BSBs. They both get a bad rap, but they're pretty effective when you use them correctly. I RW'ed Raines BSB with Braska and zerged down the sisters one by one. I couldn't even get off a use of Yuna's USB (the fuckers killed her just before it was to go off).

The JS was pretty simple using Cloud, but the A+ seems like it'll be a bit tricky. Will have to play it smrt.

LornMarkus
Nov 8, 2011

As much as I'd love to do raids with goons, I usually end up playing at really weird times and I'm pretty sure there aren't a whole lot of people around in the discord group then.

You'd be surprised. We've got some Euro and Aus goons in there who are on at odd times and even if you can only get one or two people it still helps your chances a lot to lower the number of pubbies you need to rely on.

ceaselessfuture
Apr 9, 2005

"I'm thirty," I said. "I'm five years too old to lie to myself and call it honor."
Started two weeks ago, but I work from home so it's easy to work and tap the screen every now and then. I pulled on the FFXII 2 banner three or four times and got everything for Fran and most things for Vayne, so I consider myself pretty lucky!

I took a look at upcoming banners and most don't appeal to me, so saving up seems like a good idea. I still need to pull on the Lucky banner but was going to do one more FFXII for a chance at Reks' sword. What can I say? I have a soft spot for FFXII.

And yeah, ever since the 1/2 off Realm dungeons I've been going pretty hard in between writing articles :shobon:

iamsosmrt
Jun 14, 2008

I cleared the last two weeks of pubbie MP battles on the first try for each. I wouldn't even say I brought anything that really put us over the top. Fujin and Y'shtola are reliable mainstays of my team now.

Ceaseless, make sure to pull on all the luckies. I probably only really get good luck on every other month, but they've gotten me some very good relics these past few months.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Vayne doesn't get a lot of love amongst the userbase but he's actually really solid, a hybrid attacker that can actually do either black magery or punchmanning as the case permits. His BSB is really self-sufficient too, since both the commands on it heal him. For later 5* skill plans, consider looking into Memento Mori (4* Darkness) and Meteor Crush (5* Monk) to let him do what he does better.

He's not game-shatteringly good, but he can fit in most teams without any issue.

Snazzy Frocks
Mar 31, 2003

Scratchmo
ok im a little fuzzy on buff stacking mechanics i guess...

enlir's says cloud's 100% crit is a unique buff (6016) but eiko's crit buff from her BSB (614) seems to either overwrite it or at least interfere with it?

ceaselessfuture
Apr 9, 2005

Yeah, I've noticed that Vayne has quickly become my rockstar character and I'm totally okay with this. My only question with him is whether or not to give him Life Siphon -- without it, he can rock great, high-damage skills, but with it I get his BSB off faster.

Actually, in general, when's a good time for Life Siphon over another high-damage skill?

Boogaloo Shrimp
Aug 2, 2004

Snazzy Frocks posted:

ok im a little fuzzy on buff stacking mechanics i guess...

enlir's says cloud's 100% crit is a unique buff (6016) but eiko's crit buff from her BSB (614) seems to either overwrite it or at least interfere with it?

It's in line with standard buff stacking mechanics. Buffs that affects the same stats (in the same way) overwrite previous applications. For example, the tiny +3% ATK from Wrath will overwrite the +50% ATK from Shout if Wrath is used second. There are a few edge cases where some (usually older) SBs are actually two separate stat buffs instead of a single multi-stat buff, but those are infrequent and not in common use.

In this particular case, the 100% crit rate set from Cloud USB will get overwritten by the 50% crit rate set from Eiko BSB.

Edit:
Then there are also categories of buffs. Generally a "single" buff (for purpose of comparing stacking) falls under one these categories:
ATK/MAG/DEF/RES/MND
Protect
Shell
Wall (Sentinel's Grimoire or Stoneskin II)
Haste
Crit Chance
Crit Damage
Regen
Quickcast
Instacast
Last Stand
Magic blink
Physical Blink
Shield (Double Blink)
Status Blink
Stoneskin
HP Stock
Specialty USB effect

Boogaloo Shrimp fucked around with this message at 22:36 on Jul 17, 2017

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Wait -- I haven't even voted in this game yet!

While that's true as far as it goes, it's kind of missing the actual interaction and definitely causes some confusion when you get down to the actual rules of the game.

Cloud's USB and Eiko don't stack because they aren't "+X% to critical chance". They are "critical chance becomes X%". They literally cannot stack mathematically; you can either have X = 100% or X = 50%, but you cannot have X = 100% and 50% at the same time.

Snazzy Frocks
Mar 31, 2003

Scratchmo
so technically the buffs exist at the same time but because eiko's buff is on top and forces the % to be 50 it just functions as 50%. is that the gist of it?

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

Snazzy Frocks posted:

so technically the buffs exist at the same time but because eiko's buff is on top and forces the % to be 50 it just functions as 50%. is that the gist of it?

Naw it just kills it im favor of the newer buff.

iamsosmrt
Jun 14, 2008

Phew, deployment tactics does it again. A+ down while trying to gently caress around with Cloud USB. Didn't renew wall or shellga, just tried zerg Seymour down after getting him below 50%.

I had Y'shtola put up asylum instead of wall, gambling on being able to kill him first. I was almost sure I was going to lose when he dispelled my team and my chained actions halved in strength. Then it happened.

Probably the most epic single reflected damage I've ever had. He hit my team for roughly 5-6000 hp each, bringing them all to within a sliver of their lives. And then he died.

Geocities Homepage King
Nov 26, 2007

I have good news, and I have bad news.
Which do you want to hear first...?
I finally knocked out the Daedalus A+ battle before it went away... I'm pretty sure someone just got their hands on a list of abilities that are awful and put them all into one boss. Jesus.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Wait -- I haven't even voted in this game yet!

RagnarokAngel posted:

Naw it just kills it im favor of the newer buff.

Actually in this case Snazzy Frocks has it right. Technically both Cloud and Eiko's buffs coexist because they are separate buff IDs. However, the most recent is the one that is applied. This isn't actually testable currently because all crit buff statuses last 25 seconds so you can't have one applied first which outlasts one which overlaps it, but as far as I understand it after discussions with people who actually look into the game battle code, that's how it functions.

Geocities Homepage King posted:

I finally knocked out the Daedalus A+ battle before it went away... I'm pretty sure someone just got their hands on a list of abilities that are awful and put them all into one boss. Jesus.

That list is FF12 as a realm. At least he doesn't have Ultimate Dispel.

bilperkins2
Nov 22, 2004

Fashion for Dogz
:france:

I tried getting goons on discord a bit back. Asked if anyone could do the raid, was ignored. Asked again, was met with "nah just do it with pubbies". Soured me and have never tried again.

Cinnamon Bear
Aug 29, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

bilperkins2 posted:

I tried getting goons on discord a bit back. Asked if anyone could do the raid, was ignored. Asked again, was met with "nah just do it with pubbies". Soured me and have never tried again.

Usually that only happens if its less than the 220, and then mostly because it costs a lot of stamina to do the lower levels and its generally easy enough to either solo or have random people help you. The easiest times to find groups though are going to be right when a new raid opens, and right before the old raid closes.

If you're new and need help with lower levels raids there should probably be goons willing to carry a run. I can't guarantee there will always be people around but I'm annoying and ask often enough that I can usually find groups*

*and I play at weird times, sometimes the connection isn't stable, and last night somebody using Tyro USB caused my ipad to crash because my ipad blows. And people stuck around and helped me out until we cleared Seymour. Like, I am the worst MP teammate but people are generally pretty friendly. If you see me in the discord being annoying that means I probably have too much free time and can help people out.

ceaselessfuture
Apr 9, 2005

so uh, speaking of dumb luck:

Are the Suit and Defender good enough to move my party around?

Cinnamon Bear
Aug 29, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

ceaselessfuture posted:

so uh, speaking of dumb luck:

Are the Suit and Defender good enough to move my party around?

Well, its a very good healing USB. Its slightly overshadowed by Rosa, who offers an Mblink instead of Pblink, and can use Wrath. If you don't already have a good healer, Penelo can help out. If you do have a good healer, you can use Penelo as a Dancer/Debuffer, and just have an extra oh-poo poo-instant-heal-and-blink SB in reserve.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

ceaselessfuture posted:

Actually, in general, when's a good time for Life Siphon over another high-damage skill?

Generally the only time Lifesiphon or Wrath is necessary is if you're chaining multiple SBs together (say, for instance, you were running Vayne's BSB (for the EnDark) into his OSB for Maximum Nuke Potential, or if you were trying to use both Shout and History's Truth with Ramza) or if you want SBs to be up as quickly/as often as possible (for example, stringing together Rosa's SSB or USB for its medica + magic blink properties, or using Vaan's BSB to keep an enemy debuffed). It's pretty overhyped because we're in the middle of a bit of a Soul Break renaissance where SBs are just per-pound the best form of damage you can really bring around, but it's not nearly as essential as some would have you believe.

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

Nightshift FFRK goon checking in

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
Coming up in JP

XIII-2 event focusing on Serah
VI event focusing on Locke
III event focusing on Onion Knight
Type-0 event featuring Machina, Rem & Queen

XIV event featuring Ysayle, Haurchefant & Estinien (Note: not actually listed in the Report, but it would fit the timeline and was known of from months back)

A special dungeon for female wardrobe records.

Another Crystal Tower dungeon (R+ Barbariccia (IV), R+ Yojimbo & Daigoro (X), R+ Mateus (TA) & R+ Diamond Weapon (VII))

1-year anniversary of MP with giveouts and stamps: "Hey Leader!, Hey Member 1/2/3! Kameeeee!"

4* Magicite Dungeons are coming (currently in JP they're 3*)

Those FF Brigade collab wardrobes are finally being given out

Boogaloo Shrimp
Aug 2, 2004

Hogama posted:

Coming up in JP

III event focusing on Onion Knight

Yaaaaas, gimme that Onion USB and LM infos.

Nephrite
Aug 18, 2006
Lipstick Apathy
I need that TUUURTLE!!! stamp like you wouldn't believe

iamsosmrt
Jun 14, 2008

Hmm, X Torment back today, Jump Start included. I have 0 water relics. Is the guy resistant to other elements or just neutral? If just the latter, I might have to rely on Cloud hijinks once again with triple Fang imperil...

Sesq
Nov 8, 2002

I wish I could tear him apart!
Yeah, I'm figuring out my plan for this jump start (the plan involves money pulls probably ). I muddled my way through the 200 CM with Paine's super. I have Rikku's burst but it didn't help me much in the past, but I'll try her again now that she's 99. I'll take the Gullwings, Y'shtola, and see if Cloud's USB has enough gas to see me through to the end

pichupal
Mar 23, 2013

Poochy ain't Stupid.
I might be.

iamsosmrt posted:

Hmm, X Torment back today, Jump Start included. I have 0 water relics. Is the guy resistant to other elements or just neutral? If just the latter, I might have to rely on Cloud hijinks once again with triple Fang imperil...

Neutral to everything, which is nice. Water weak at 40% like Bahamut.

I only have three good FFX SBs (Paine BSB, Auron BSB1, Yuna SSB2) but it's at least a Water SB, something to help Tauntaliate the Petrify attacks and a Medica. Paine isn't the best out there for Water damage, but I'm happy the three SBs I have are all relevant to the battle.

Leila's ATK/RES Mug SSB was what carried me through the D200/250 as my only water SB before, but I ended up casting it like 8 times in the D250.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AstraSage
May 13, 2013

Nephrite posted:

I need that TUUURTLE!!! stamp like you wouldn't believe

Agreed.

And honestly, it'd make a great Code-Stamp for Wall.

• Locked thread