Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

pubic works project posted:

I care. I like Hawkman.

trap sprung

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Al Borland Corp. posted:

I don't know, a superhero with the power of flight, thats pretty novel.
Proper Hawkman should be an adventuring Doc Savage archaeologist exploring ancient ruins. They should just do like JLU did and imply the past lives alien poo poo was a result of the Nth Metal Harness integrating with his human physiology. Hawkgirl could be a distant descendant of the Thanagarian that crashed in Egypt, and a proper alien, looking to recover the family tools that Carter now uses to globetrot.

Make it lighthearted and fun, jettison all the baggage that no one cares about and leave it in the background.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
Hawkman is a character that has two awesome origin stories smashed and jammed into one non coherent origin story. There is no reason that Hawkman the Indiana Jones style archeologist has to be the same character of Hawkman the constantly reincarnated Egyptian prince, who is also Hawkman the police officer from another planet. That should be three separate characters.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Madkal posted:

...who is also Hawkman the police officer from another planet. That should be three separate characters.
That should be Golden Age JSA Hawkguy. He's basically a Mystery Man cape enforcing justice on a strange planet.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

FilthyImp posted:

That should be Golden Age JSA Hawkguy. He's basically a Mystery Man cape enforcing justice on a strange planet.

Also Hawkworld.

Autism Sneaks
Nov 21, 2016
I thought the Justice League cartoon resolved it pretty well, though I'm not sure (I tried referencing YouTube clips but they were all AMVs :psyduck:). Hawkman was just a crazy dude, lol

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Madkal posted:

Hawkman is a character that has two awesome origin stories smashed and jammed into one non coherent origin story. There is no reason that Hawkman the Indiana Jones style archeologist has to be the same character of Hawkman the constantly reincarnated Egyptian prince, who is also Hawkman the police officer from another planet. That should be three separate characters.

But then there's 3 Hawkmen and that's definitely not a solution.

Autism Sneaks
Nov 21, 2016

Skwirl posted:

We have two Flashes, three Jokers, three Supermen, and seven Green Lanterns, all coexisting in continuity. I don't think three Hawkmen is asking too much. Hell, three Hawkmen may be enough to carry a book!

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Skwirl posted:

There have been 3 Blue Beetles (4 if you count the egyptian period the scarab was active in), but we dont have an obsessive need to make Jaime Reyes a descendant of King Tut's ancient protector, Ankh B'tal the Blue, or make the suit OS a brainchild program holding Ted Kord's disembodied consciousness, or a time-displaced Dan Garrett.

We have 3 Hawkmans. One was an ancient explorer during a time of Thanagarian colonization. He got blown off course and his HyperPod deposited him in the Northern Kingdom of Egypt. Unable to return home, he used his knowledge and advanced technology to improve the life of the people and unify the nation.

The Silver Age Hawkmens is a beat cop from Thanagar's third world colony. His nth metal harness allows him to fly, and is adorned with a pair of wings --the symbol of thanagarian rule in the conquered systems. His graviton mace is a multitool that channels nth metal energies, styled on ancient Thanagarian battle weapons. He accidentally comes across a Motherbox that deposits him on Earth in 1912. Forced to live in a land not his own, he uses his otherworldly law enforcement tools to fight for justice. Lets say he dies in the Amazon diffusing Hitler's Doomsday Atomidroid.

Modern Day Carter Hall is a thrill-seeking Indiana Jones type from the middle east that finds Silver Age Hawkman's gear. The Mind-Machine interface causes him to have visions of Thanagar, which only subside when exposed to adrenaline. But he is chased by a mysterious and possibly ghostly Hawk-Woman as he scours the globe.

There you go. 3 hawkmen, no need for them to significantly overlap or clumsily be The Same Guy Kinda.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

I'm pretty sure the joke is that there's 3 of a boring character

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Roth posted:

Ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh.

:downsgun:

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Roth posted:

Like the Joker now.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UCkaCG-ZRUw

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

Rhyno posted:

Like the Joker now.

I dunno, I can't exactly say that I'm indifferent to the character. I always feel dread when I know he's going to show up, mixed with annoyance, so that counts for something, right?

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Roth posted:

Thank you. I didn't realize I needed to spell that out but clearly I was wrong.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Autism Sneaks posted:

We have two Flashes, three Jokers, three Supermen, and seven Green Lanterns, all coexisting in continuity. I don't think three Hawkmen is asking too much. Hell, three Hawkmen may be enough to carry a book!

Who's the third Superman?

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017
Probation
Can't post for 57 minutes!

Skwirl posted:

Lex Luthor?

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

No Decepticon in history, and I say this with great surety, has been treated worse or more unfairly.

FilthyImp posted:

There have been 3 Blue Beetles (4 if you count the egyptian period the scarab was active in), but we dont have an obsessive need to make Jaime Reyes a descendant of King Tut's ancient protector, Ankh B'tal the Blue, or make the suit OS a brainchild program holding Ted Kord's disembodied consciousness, or a time-displaced Dan Garrett.

We have 3 Hawkmans. One was an ancient explorer during a time of Thanagarian colonization. He got blown off course and his HyperPod deposited him in the Northern Kingdom of Egypt. Unable to return home, he used his knowledge and advanced technology to improve the life of the people and unify the nation.

The Silver Age Hawkmens is a beat cop from Thanagar's third world colony. His nth metal harness allows him to fly, and is adorned with a pair of wings --the symbol of thanagarian rule in the conquered systems. His graviton mace is a multitool that channels nth metal energies, styled on ancient Thanagarian battle weapons. He accidentally comes across a Motherbox that deposits him on Earth in 1912. Forced to live in a land not his own, he uses his otherworldly law enforcement tools to fight for justice. Lets say he dies in the Amazon diffusing Hitler's Doomsday Atomidroid.

Modern Day Carter Hall is a thrill-seeking Indiana Jones type from the middle east that finds Silver Age Hawkman's gear. The Mind-Machine interface causes him to have visions of Thanagar, which only subside when exposed to adrenaline. But he is chased by a mysterious and possibly ghostly Hawk-Woman as he scours the globe.

There you go. 3 hawkmen, no need for them to significantly overlap or clumsily be The Same Guy Kinda.

I don't want to continue Hawkman Debate since everyone except me hates him, but I think you could merge Ancient Thanagarian Hawkman with Modern Day Carter Hall and keep the reincarnation. Like they did in JLU. He'd have been active as Hawkman during the time of the JSA and is now more focused on archaelogy and discovering his and Shiera's past. Then have Katar Hol from Thanagar as the more active Hawkman, even if he's in space most of the time.

It might all be a moot point because I asked Snyder on Twitter about the differences and he said it'll be answered in the one-shot Hawkman Found.

Skwirl posted:

Oh and I'm assuming we're going Clark, New Super-Man, and Luthor for this one.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

I like Hawkman more than Red Hood. But angry guy with a mace and wings isn't great.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Well those are three separate and interesting characters. I'm just kinda amazed the dude brought up how many loving Green Lanterns there are in attempt to convince me Hawkman would ever be a good character I should give a poo poo about.

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

No Decepticon in history, and I say this with great surety, has been treated worse or more unfairly.

Skwirl posted:

Well those are three separate and interesting characters. I'm just kinda amazed the dude brought up how many loving Green Lanterns there are in attempt to convince me Hawkman would ever be a good character I should give a poo poo about.

Eh, we just have to remember that we all have different tastes in characters.

Like me. I'm a huge Silver Age nut. I like my Justice League big with B-List/C-List heroes like Firestorm/Hawkman/Red Tornado alongside Supes & co.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

pubic works project posted:

I don't want to continue Hawkman Debate since everyone except me hates him, but I think you could merge Ancient Thanagarian Hawkman with Modern Day Carter Hall and keep the reincarnation. Like they did in JLU.
I always feel like the reincarnation is tacked on and needlessly complicates what should be separate characters. Unless you go dark with it and copy X-Men Apocalypse, and Egyptian Hawkman artificially extends his life by brainjacking some dude.

Everyone's got a plan to fix the character, which usually means finding some way to shoehorn in all the versions, compounding the problem. The worst was probably Zero Hour's Hawkgod.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Gotham City Garage digital first comic starts next month.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/gotham-city-garage-takes-dcs-superheroines-road-1021427

quote:

DC Entertainment is taking the resistance on the road with new series Gotham City Garage, based on the popular line of statues from DC Collectibles.

Set in an alternate version of the DC Universe where Governor Lex Luthor has transformed the traditional dystopia of Gotham City into a contemporary paradise known as The Garden, Gotham City Garage centers on those who don't believe in his program of keeping all citizens locked up to one networked mindset that he controls. And these members of the resistance just happen to be versions of familiar DC heroines.

"Gotham City Garage is an anti-fascist anthem for the open road, starring reimagined takes on DC's great female characters through an outlaw lens," Collin Kelly, who'll co-write the series with Jackson Lanzing, said in a statement. "We’re bringing Big Barda, Steel, Catwoman, Harley Quinn, Silver Banshee, Hawkgirl and the first Kryptonian this world has ever seen — the mysterious girl named Kara Gordon — into a world of bikes, outlaws and elaborate tattoos."

Art for the series will come from a rotating team led by Supergirl's Brian Ching, with the second arc illustrated by Lynne Yoshii, a graduate of the DC Talent Development Workshop. The series will debut as a digital comic book Aug. 16, with new chapters released every two weeks through October, at which point it'll up to a weekly frequency. Also in October, a print edition of the series will debut.

In the collectibles realm, Gotham City Garage is a property reimagining DC's female heroes as hardcore bikers. The DC Collectibles line launched in 2013, and to date has featured Wonder Woman, Catwoman and Harley Quinn. This isn't the first time DC has transformed a DC Collectibles line into a comic book property; DC Bombshells underwent a similar change in 2015, becoming a perennial best-seller for the publisher.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
RED HOOD AND THE OUTLAWS #15
Written by SCOTT LOBDELL
Art by DEXTER SOY
Cover by MIKE McKONE
Variant cover by GUILLEM MARCH
Retailers: This issue will ship with two covers. Please see the order form for details. Includes a code for a free digital download of this issue.
“Bizarro Reborn” part two! As Batwoman and her team close in on the infamous Outlaws, Red Hood and Artemis must figure out what to do about Bizarro, whose new war on crime has taken a dark turn—is this the end of the Outlaws as we know them?
On sale OCTOBER 11 • 32 pg, FC, $3.99 US • RATED T+

Rest of the solicits

https://www.newsarama.com/35405-dc-comics-october-2017-solicitations.html?utm_source=notification

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Who give a heck about Red Hood when the first thing listed has Oliver Coipel (plus Bengal) interiors? :swoon:

Darth Nat
Aug 24, 2007

It all comes out right in the end.
I'm going to be really mad when Cass jobs again to Jason thanks to his magic kung fu and suit with knives in the arms, aren't I?

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.
I mean, if you're reading a stupid loving Outlaws book by stupid loving Lobdell you sort of have it coming.

AlmightyBob
Sep 8, 2003

tell me more please

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

McCloud posted:

I dunno, I can't exactly say that I'm indifferent to the character. I always feel dread when I know he's going to show up, mixed with annoyance, so that counts for something, right?
I was re-reading some old Swamp Things last night, and there's the part where Swampy is going into Gotham to protest Abby getting busted for plantfucking. He passes into Arkham to talk to Jason Woodrue for some reason, possibly because he was aiming for Gotham by tracking Woodrue, and he passes by Two-Face, who he finds interesting...

And the Joker is just described as "the green-haired thing, giggling."

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Looks like Blue Beetle is getting a new creative team.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
Ugh, that WW solicit. The more I hear from this arc the less appealing it sounds, and that cover is just gross. Yeah, let's show Diana killing a bunch of animals, that's how we portray the heart of her character!

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Had that Wild Storm spin-off been announced before?

WILDSTORM: MICHAEL CRAY #1
Written by BRYAN HILL
Art by N. STEVEN HARRIS and DEXTER VINES
Cover by DENYS COWAN and BILL SIENKIEWICZ
Variant cover by GENE HA
Retailers: This issue will ship with two covers. Please see the order form for details.
Warren Ellis’ critically acclaimed relaunch of THE WILD STORM gets its first solo spinoff series! Michael Cray, professional assassin, has been betrayed by International Operations and has an alien life-form in his head that’s either killing him, transforming him, or both. The only thing that can bring sense to his life is for him to do what he does best: kill the wrong people for the right reasons. But Michael needs support and resources to hit back against I.O., and he gets them in exchange for working with Trelane, taking out her targets, his way. First up? A sociopathic Silicon Valley billionaire by the name of Oliver Queen!
On sale OCTOBER 11 • 32 pg, FC, $3.99 US • RATED T+

e: Chaykin's Ruff & Reddy starts
and the Doom Patrol cover is neat.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 02:13 on Jul 18, 2017

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

That is an amazing cover

Inkspot
Dec 3, 2013

I believe I have
an appointment.
Mr. Goongala?
It's the Batman Forever VHS. That's awesome.

glitchwraith
Dec 29, 2008

That FBI Warning is amazing. "Behold the apotheosis of Bob Kain."

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

That Green Lanterns #33 is Seeley coming off of Hellblazer and taking over from Humphries.
https://twitter.com/HackinTimSeeley/status/887066109081530368

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

https://twitter.com/TomKingTK/status/887818355528171520

tag yourself, im the shells falling out of a gun which is not currently being fired

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

purple death ray posted:

tag yourself, im the shells falling out of a gun which is not currently being fired

I'm Metamorpho.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

purple death ray posted:

I'm the Native American's lower body.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

I'll try anything with plastic man in it