Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer
So for some reason I have been conflating Coldplay and Pantera for years now. Like, I somehow thought Coldplay was like a Pantera side project or something.

Then I read something mocking Coldplay as "mom rock" and I was really confused and finally looked them up.

This

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fC26XpXjSVw

Is not

this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mEIMDbZ32_k

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

bongwizzard posted:

So for some reason I have been conflating Coldplay and Pantera for years now. Like, I somehow thought Coldplay was like a Pantera side project or something.

Then I read something mocking Coldplay as "mom rock" and I was really confused and finally looked them up.

This

Is not

this

This is incredible. I'm wondering if there was a second level of confusion, like you were thinking of Coal Chamber or something.

SneezeOfTheDecade
Feb 6, 2011

gettin' covid all
over your posts

pidan posted:

I always thought that screeching sound you hear at night was the voices of bats, but it's actually swifts. I blame the fact that I always saw a lot of bats fluttering about outside my window where I lived when I first heard it.

not

Similarly, I only found out a few weeks ago that the early-morning owl hooting I've been hearing in the nearby woods since I was a kid aren't owl hoots at all, but mourning dove calls.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

bongwizzard posted:

This

Is not

this

This is fuckin shameful

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer
I mean, metal bands always have a million spinoffs, right?

Henchman of Santa posted:

This is incredible. I'm wondering if there was a second level of confusion, like you were thinking of Coal Chamber or something.

Let's go with this as it makes be feel a little better.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

bongwizzard posted:

I mean, metal bands always have a million spinoffs, right?

Yeah but the ultimate Texan meathead metal band is unlikely to switch to one of the most popular British pop rock bands ever

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.
That'd be a hell of a twist, though.

Sucrose
Dec 9, 2009

Jerry Cotton posted:

Axel Foley isn't a/the Beverly Hills cop in the motion picture Beverly Hills Cop.

The infamous Crazy Frog song is called "Axel F" because it's a remix of the Beverly Hills Cop theme.

Everyone over 30 probably already knew this.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer

Henchman of Santa posted:

Yeah but the ultimate Texan meathead metal band is unlikely to switch to one of the most popular British pop rock bands ever

Yea I have no idea. I have not listened to Pantera since highschool and have never to my knowledge heard Coldplay, nothing ever really came up to challenge my wrong idea.

Also it looks like I have also been thinking that "Coal Chamber" was loving called "Coral Chamber" intil like 5 min ago when I tried to find a video of them on youtube.

Weed something something cognitive abilities.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty

Sucrose posted:

The infamous Crazy Frog song is called "Axel F" because it's a remix of the Beverly Hills Cop theme.

Everyone over 30 probably already knew this.

The original version is also called Axel F

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

purple death ray posted:

This is fuckin shameful

It's not shameful. It's incredible

sweeperbravo
May 18, 2012

AUNT GWEN'S COLD SHAPE (!)
Martin Landau (RIP) isn't Walter Matthau.

root beer
Nov 13, 2005

sweeperbravo posted:

Martin Landau (RIP) isn't Walter Matthau (also RIP).

Fixed, but I hope I'm not the one breaking it to you

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

The USA has the concept of the 'pickup truck':

But does not have a popular concept of a 'ute', more common in Australia and New Zealand, a more compact vehicle:

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

bewilderment posted:

But does not have a popular concept of a 'ute', more common in Australia and New Zealand, a more compact vehicle:

Wait. "Pickup truck" isn't simply American for "ute"?

e: I'd call both those vehicles "utes"

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

bewilderment posted:

Perhaps you have not heard of the El Camino?

e: also that's a Toyota, please feature Ford, Dodge or Chevrolet pickups in future references to our awful car/truck culture

syscall girl has a new favorite as of 09:47 on Jul 18, 2017

Intoluene
Jul 6, 2011

Activating self-destruct sequence!
Fun Shoe

Hyperlynx posted:

There is actually a difference and it's mostly about how the chassis is constructed. The ute is based on a standard car chassis while a pick up has a truck body with the passenger cab and tray bolted to the base.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Intoluene posted:

The ute is based on a standard car chassis

To confuse the issue, there are utes in Australia that only have the shell of the passenger car and then a full-length chassis underneath in order to be rated to carry heavier loads.

Also, my mind is absolutely reeling at that bongwizzard revelation.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Hyperlynx posted:

The bottom one doesn't imply nearly as big a penis

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

syscall girl posted:

Perhaps you have not heard of the El Camino?

e: also that's a Toyota, please feature Ford, Dodge or Chevrolet pickups in future references to our awful car/truck culture

Or the Ranchero, which is what the El Camino copied :colbert:

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

Intoluene posted:

There is actually a difference and it's mostly about how the chassis is constructed. The ute is based on a standard car chassis while a pick up has a truck body with the passenger cab and tray bolted to the base.

Wait... what's a truck, though? I know we have this conversation like every week, but I can't remember. "Truck" to me means what I think Americans call a "semi trailer", which obviously isn't what you're talking about.

A van?

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer
"Truck" and "pick up truck" are different things with similar names. A "pick up" is the general two-seat-cab-open-bed deal while "truck" covers everything from a small moving truck (although there is some overlap with vans here) to like a large long haul "tractor" which pulls a "trailer". But there's a different kind of tractor which is used for agriculture.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Iron Crowned posted:

Or the Ranchero, which is what the El Camino copied :colbert:

Yeah, I was trying to think of the Ranchero but drew a blank.

I knew there were two of those.

And then there's the Subaru BRAT

root beer
Nov 13, 2005

There was also the Dodge Rampage in the '80s. My grandpa had one, in Barbie pink.
linked because phone posting, sorry

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

bongwizzard posted:

Yea I have no idea. I have not listened to Pantera since highschool and have never to my knowledge heard Coldplay, nothing ever really came up to challenge my wrong idea.

Also it looks like I have also been thinking that "Coal Chamber" was loving called "Coral Chamber" intil like 5 min ago when I tried to find a video of them on youtube.

Weed something something cognitive abilities.

Pantera did break up and some of the members did form another band called "Damageplan". They had one album out and toured. This is when Dimebag Darrel was killed.

quote:

Damageplan was an American heavy metal band from Dallas, Texas, formed in 2003. Following the demise of their previous group Pantera, brothers Dimebag Darrell and Vinnie Paul Abbott wanted to start a new band. The pair recruited former Diesel Machine and Halford guitarist Pat Lachman on vocals, and later Bob Zilla on bass. Damageplan released their only studio album New Found Power in the United States on February 10, 2004, which debuted at number 38 on the Billboard 200, selling 44,676 copies in its first week.

While Damageplan was promoting the album at a concert on December 8, 2004, at the Alrosa Villa in Columbus, Ohio, a man named Nathan Gale climbed on stage and killed lead guitarist Darrell and three others, and wounding another seven, before being shot dead by police officer James Niggemeyer. Although no motive was found, some witnesses claimed Gale blamed the brothers for Pantera's breakup and believed that they had stolen his lyrics. The band's manager confirmed there are unreleased Damageplan recordings, although they have not surfaced, and the band has not performed since the incident. Abbott and Zilla have joined the band Hellyeah, and Lachman joined The Mercy Clinic.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Damageplan

IUG has a new favorite as of 15:50 on Jul 18, 2017

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

IUG posted:

Pantera did break up and some of the members did form another band called "Damageplan". They had one album out and toured. This is when Dimebag Darrel was killed.

wikipedia posted:

from Dallas, Texas, formed in 2003. Following the demise of their previous group Pantera, brothers Dimebag Darrell and Vinnie Paul Abbott wanted to start a new band. The pair recruited former Diesel Machine and Halford guitarist Pat Lachman on vocals, and later Bob Zilla on bass. Damageplan released their only studio album New Found Power in the United States on February 10, 2004, which debuted at number 38 on the Billboard 200, selling 44,676 copies in its first week.

While Damageplan was promoting the album at a concert on December 8, 2004, at the Alrosa Villa in Columbus, Ohio, a man named Nathan Gale climbed on stage and killed lead guitarist Darrell and three others, and wounding another seven, before being shot dead by police officer James Niggemeyer. Although no motive was found, some witnesses claimed Gale blamed the brothers for Pantera's breakup and believed that they had stolen his lyrics. The band's manager confirmed there are unreleased Damageplan recordings, although they have not surfaced, and the band has not performed since the incident. Abbott and Zilla have joined the band Hellyeah, and Lachman joined The Mercy Clinic.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Damageplan

Huh, that's some name for a cop to have. I can't imagine he's popular in the urban areas

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer

Huh, that's some name for a cop to have. I can't imagine he's popular in the urban areas
[/quote]

Goddamn, it's like something out of an old Dave Chapelle sketch.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Lol if any cops are welcome in your neighborhood regardless of their last name

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

purple death ray posted:

Lol if any cops are welcome in your neighborhood regardless of their last name

There is a cop around here whose first name is Shadow.

Every time I see him I want to ask him if he's watching American Gods.

He's a nice guy, but then I'm white. Never seen him be rude to a minority though either.

Shifty Nipples
Apr 8, 2007

syscall girl posted:

There is a cop around here whose first name is Shadow.

Every time I see him I want to ask him if he's watching American Gods.

He's a nice guy, but then I'm white. Never seen him be rude to a minority though either.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

He's better looking than (current) Alec Baldwin tho :gay:

syscall girl has a new favorite as of 18:25 on Jul 18, 2017

Xibanya
Sep 17, 2012

Clever Betty
I learned from a goon in another thread that poison dart frogs synthesize their toxin from stuff in their natural diet, so poison dart frogs raised in captivity aren't toxic at all.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Xibanya posted:

I learned from a goon in another thread that poison dart frogs synthesize their toxin from stuff in their natural diet, so poison dart frogs raised in captivity aren't toxic at all.

Never heard that one before but I know pink flamingos aren't pink without a steady diet of FYAD posts

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Xibanya posted:

Unless the captors feed them that same kind of food. So don't go trusting any captive poison frogs!

Intoluene
Jul 6, 2011

Activating self-destruct sequence!
Fun Shoe

Xibanya posted:

I know that this one is completely true in regards to fugu. Farmed fugu doesn't have any of the neurotoxin in its body at all.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Hyperlynx posted:

My father used to have what I'd call a "large ute" that he insisted on calling a truck because it was "too big to be a ute". :shrug:

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Jerry Cotton posted:

Unless the captors feed them that same kind of food. So don't go trusting any captive poison frogs!
Don't go trusting captive frogs
Please stick to the lizards and the snakes that you're used to

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

mind the walrus posted:

Don't go trusting captive frogs
Please stick to the lizards and the snakes that you're used to

:swoon: Destiny's Child :swoon:

UnculturedSwine
Jul 7, 2006

Jerry Cotton posted:

:swoon: Destiny's Child :swoon:

Um are you being racist? The band was En Vogue

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

UnculturedSwine posted:

Um are you being racist? The band was En Vogue

But I don't like them I like Destiny's Child (:swoon:)