Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

...! posted:

If you have the auto chips turned on, that's literally impossible.

Guess what I didn't have turned on

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011
Soooo, finally getting to this after beating Horizon and Zelda

Am I supposed to be constantly underleveled? Like, it's not hard to beat overleveled enemies because you just dodge them and slam them with the fist (Memories man) until they die, but then some robot wants me to do a parade and I am suddenly fighting level 35 enemies as a sub 20 dude.

Like, aside from that, this game is just mechanically so much better than the first game. Though I miss being a dad.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole
There are a couple sidequests like that one, and another in the canyon, that really shouldn't be available as early as they are. They're really a second playthrough kinda thing.

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

The tracks go off in this direction.
You'll be underleveled and eventually overlevelled.

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

To be more specific, the main quest auto adjusts enemy levels, side quests have fixed enemy levels. So you should always be fine for the main stuff but side stuff - don't be afraid to say "gently caress that" and come back later.

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

Akuma posted:

To be more specific, the main quest auto adjusts enemy levels

It definitely doesn't. Only levels that adjust at all are Moose/Boars and trash enemies in the shmup sections

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011
I mean, murderizing overlevelled enemies aint hard: I was grinding chips a bit in the pit where you first meet white hair 1 and they're double my level. It was having to defend poo poo that was the issue.

This game feels a lot more, condensed, than the first one. Also just got my first ending, ending K. Do the joke endings give you anything?

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Deceitful Penguin posted:

I mean, murderizing overlevelled enemies aint hard: I was grinding chips a bit in the pit where you first meet white hair 1 and they're double my level. It was having to defend poo poo that was the issue.

This game feels a lot more, condensed, than the first one. Also just got my first ending, ending K. Do the joke endings give you anything?

There's an achievement for viewing all of the non DLC endings

Nina
Oct 9, 2016

Invisible werewolf (entirely visible, not actually a wolf)

I mean, murderizing overlevelled enemies aint hard

There's a point when you just simply deal 0 damage if an enemy is enough levels higher than you

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

SE made Nier:A silver pendants:

https://store.na.square-enix.com/product/448669/nier-automata-silver-necklace-black-box

Looks cool but not $169.99 + S&H cool.

Alder fucked around with this message at 00:14 on Jul 21, 2017

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

Yeah that'd be awesome if it wasn't a loving hundred and seventy dollars what the poo poo is it made of

actual spoiler for anyone who hasn't finished the game
machine cores :v:

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

Hexenritter posted:

Yeah that'd be awesome if it wasn't a loving hundred and seventy dollars what the poo poo is it made of

actual spoiler for anyone who hasn't finished the game
machine cores :v:

Of children, I hope.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Mega64 posted:

Of children, I hope.

:stonklol:

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
At least we can be sure that those machine cores did not come from the children of Pascal's village.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
I bought this game at launch, basically did 2B's Chapter A playthrough in about 3 sittings, and then shelved it when I realized I hated hacking and I hated 9S.

Since I've been without internet at my apartment for a month, and this is one of the only games I have left installed on my PC, I booted it up and hey, it's fun again.

I beelined through 9S's playthrough to unlocking fast travel, and found the other two Pods. I bought like 10 +1 combust chips and some stuns and now i'm trying really hard to grind up weapons and chips before I do anything else because I want things to just explode when I look at them and I want to run really fast and have perfect diamond drop rate chips...

but every guide and video I watch makes me feel like a total helmet kid. Like, I must have read 30 pages of reddit/gamefaqs/youtube comments trying to parse how to optimally farm and fuse chips but it all seems like Mandarin to me.

Is it a better idea to farm chips before or after farming for weapon and Pod Upgrades? I can already tell that this is the kind of game that I will personally only enjoy once I have farmed up the gear I want and so I'm only really worried about that at the moment. Can anyone give me a baby-dum-dum guide for chips and upgrade materials?

And please no Spoilers :ohdear:

Bust Rodd fucked around with this message at 01:12 on Jul 21, 2017

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Mega64 posted:

Of children, I hope.

Hunt11 posted:

At least we can be sure that those machine cores did not come from the children of Pascal's village.

I don't know about that, I mean, what else were you going to do with them?

Bust Rodd posted:

Is it a better idea to farm chips before or after farming for weapon and Pod Upgrades? I can already tell that this is the kind of game that I will personally only enjoy once I have farmed up the gear I want and so I'm only really worried about that at the moment. Can anyone give me a baby-dum-dum guide for chips and upgrade materials?

And please no Spoilers :ohdear:

honestly farming chips isn't that worth it period, unless maybe you're doing hard mode; the level scaling (or lack thereof, for most quests) is so wonky that the game oscillates wildly between "2 hours of hitting things for 1hp" and "literal faceroll", and any time you're in the former situation you should just walk away and come back later. if you spend any time grinding you're going to outlevel everything forever and the game will be pretty boring throughout; just ask the dude who ground up level 99 before getting to the quick travel unlock in Chapter A.

Re: chips, fuse :d: chips with other :d: every time it allows you to do so, fuse the cheapest ones that aren't :d: together until you can replace them with the :d: versions of the same. buying chips outright are only worth it for some niche non-combat chips.

most weapon/pod upgrade materials can be purchased outright later in the game so you probably don't want to waste hours of your life farming for them early. of the ones that aren't farmable, I believe you can get all of them you'll need from sidequests as long as you're not selling off non-vendor-trash materials.

Ursine Catastrophe fucked around with this message at 01:22 on Jul 21, 2017

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Ursine Catastrophe posted:

That machine core doesn't look as though it had sharp metal shoved through the center.

Know Such Peace
Dec 30, 2008
[quote="“Bust Rodd”" post="“474566904”"]

Since I’ve been without internet at my apartment for a month, and this is one of the only games I have left installed on my PC, I booted it up and hey, it’s fun again.
[/quote]

There are several moments in the third playthrough that are enormously improved by having network access. I recommend waiting to start that route until after your internet situation is fixed. Be careful; this thread has plenty of major unmarked spoilers in it.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Tatumje posted:

There are several moments in the third playthrough that are enormously improved by having network access. I recommend waiting to start that route until after your internet situation is fixed. Be careful; this thread has plenty of major unmarked spoilers in it.

I was never without can you spoil those for me?

Know Such Peace
Dec 30, 2008
[quote="“Len”" post="“474571270”"]
I was never without can you spoil those for me?
[/quote]

Huge Route C spoiler: I was attempting to obscure the fact that network access is needed in order to finish Ending E. It is nearly impossible without network access for support, and it’ll be a massive cockblock if he runs into it.

Network access does add some ambience to boss rooms in route C with the dead body mechanic. I remember the hacking tower fight and at least one other fight had a ton of ‘Dark Souls bloodstains’ scattered around the arena.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Tatumje posted:

Huge Route C spoiler: I was attempting to obscure the fact that network access is needed in order to finish Ending E. It is nearly impossible without network access for support, and it’ll be a massive cockblock if he runs into it.

Network access does add some ambience to boss rooms in route C with the dead body mechanic. I remember the hacking tower fight and at least one other fight had a ton of ‘Dark Souls bloodstains’ scattered around the arena.

Ah gotcha wasn't sure if there was more to it than that

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011
Man, the endless slaughter in that pit where you first fight white hair is hilarious; I reached level 30 from 23 in like no time. Any other good places like that?

Also, it feels like ending A comes rather, abruptly? Like, I felt it wasn't signposted well enough. Do I have to redo all the sidequests?

And all this stuff talking about internet access, do I need to have Playstation + for it to work?

Also; any reccs for cool weapons? I mean, cypress sticks and iron pipes are one thing but I got so many weapons I have no idea what to do with...

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Man, the endless slaughter in that pit where you first fight white hair is hilarious; I reached level 30 from 23 in like no time. Any other good places like that?

Also, it feels like ending A comes rather, abruptly? Like, I felt it wasn't signposted well enough. Do I have to redo all the sidequests?

And all this stuff talking about internet access, do I need to have Playstation + for it to work?

Also; any reccs for cool weapons? I mean, cypress sticks and iron pipes are one thing but I got so many weapons I have no idea what to do with...
the pit is absolutely the best place for it but there's a few good places in route C as well

Know Such Peace
Dec 30, 2008

Route B is the world-building route. You only ‘redo’ side-quests that weren’t completed the first time around. You now know where the point of no return is, so finish up anything you want to do before heading to that boss battle.

[quote="“Deceitful Penguin”" post="“474578435”"]
[/quote]

I’m 99% sure you don’t need PS+. Sometimes the game will turn it off seemingly randomly or during a patch download, but I think it’ll work. Do you ever come across android bodies in the game? If you do, it is working.

Edit:
[quote="“Deceitful Penguin”" post="“474578435”"]
[/quote]

Pretty much everything is viable. The gameplay is smooth, but it isn’t particularly deep. Virtuous Contract (2B) and Cruel Oath (9S) weapons are the “canon” weapons if you’re into that sort of stuff.

Spear of the Usurper for 9S has the ability to randomly charm enemies, which is pretty cool. It’s a reward for a side-quest where you scan for stuff in the desert for a researcher.

Know Such Peace fucked around with this message at 12:46 on Jul 21, 2017

i am tim!
Jan 5, 2005

God damn it, where are my ant keys?! I'm gonna miss my flight!

I felt the same way about Ending A, but it will become perfectly clear why they did that after you get Ending B. As for the side quests, any you have already completed will still be completed on your second play through. Any quests you started but had not completed will be reset, however.

Edit: The game will give you ample opportunity to go back and complete anything you missed in the future if you're concerned about getting that 100% save. The ONE THING you can permanently miss is a gag ending you get by losing to the super hard super secret optional boss that's inaccessible until the third play through.

i am tim! fucked around with this message at 12:49 on Jul 21, 2017

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

the pit is absolutely the best place for it but there's a few good places in route C as well
I really wish they just endlessly spawned because the moments of respite were meh.

Tatumje posted:

Route B is the world-building route. You only ‘redo’ side-quests that weren’t completed the first time around. You now know where the point of no return is, so finish up anything you want to do before heading to that boss battle.

I’m 99% sure you don’t need PS+. Sometimes the game will turn it off seemingly randomly or during a patch download, but I think it’ll work. Do you ever come across android bodies in the game? If you do, it is working.

Edit:

Pretty much everything is viable. The gameplay is smooth, but it isn’t particularly deep. Virtuous Contract (2B) and Cruel Oath (9S) weapons are the “canon” weapons if you’re into that sort of stuff.

Spear of the Usurper for 9S has the ability to randomly charm enemies, which is pretty cool. It’s a reward for a side-quest where you scan for stuff in the desert for a researcher.
Hmmm. I saw them when I was at my friends but not when I played at home; there were shitloads at the start that had died to the deer and boars and now, well, nothing.

How do I check if the game is online?

And yeah, I got the feeling most things were ok but I was wondering if there were any clearly better ones like in the OG Nier.

i am tim! posted:

I felt the same way about Ending A, but it will become perfectly clear why they did that after you get Ending B. As for the side quests, any you have already completed will still be completed on your second play through. Any quests you started but had not completed will be reset, however.

Edit: The game will give you ample opportunity to go back and complete anything you missed in the future if you're concerned about getting that 100% save. The ONE THING you can permanently miss is a gag ending you get by losing to the super hard super secret optional boss that's inaccessible until the third play through.
Good to know! I mean, I just can't wait for the horrible revelation waiting for me in the other endings!

Know Such Peace
Dec 30, 2008
Network access should be somewhere in the settings menu.

imweasel09
May 26, 2014

Ursine Catastrophe posted:

honestly farming chips isn't that worth it period, unless maybe you're doing hard mode; the level scaling (or lack thereof, for most quests) is so wonky that the game oscillates wildly between "2 hours of hitting things for 1hp" and "literal faceroll", and any time you're in the former situation you should just walk away and come back later. if you spend any time grinding you're going to outlevel everything forever and the game will be pretty boring throughout; just ask the dude who ground up level 99 before getting to the quick travel unlock in Chapter A.

Re: chips, fuse :d: chips with other :d: every time it allows you to do so, fuse the cheapest ones that aren't :d: together until you can replace them with the :d: versions of the same. buying chips outright are only worth it for some niche non-combat chips.

most weapon/pod upgrade materials can be purchased outright later in the game so you probably don't want to waste hours of your life farming for them early. of the ones that aren't farmable, I believe you can get all of them you'll need from sidequests as long as you're not selling off non-vendor-trash materials.

HAHAHA, i wish they gave you enough pod upgrade materials from side quests. At least the pod upgrades don't matter that much, stupid loving water.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
I don't think I'm going to be able to beat the lvl 99 super secret boss. Can't even beat their first form.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

imweasel09 posted:

HAHAHA, i wish they gave you enough pod upgrade materials from side quests. At least the pod upgrades don't matter that much, stupid loving water.

Not going to lie, I was going to go for all the upgrades but I said "gently caress it" when I found out that there was a sidequest for like 5 simple gears that's only available during one specific between-plot-beat section that's about 1 minute of actual playtime. After I had spent 2 hours grinding for the 8 I needed from one random-drop location in the overworld. :yokotaro:

Over There
Jun 28, 2013

by Azathoth
Just finished path C today. What a journey.

Does ending E and deleting your save actually feel satisfying? It seems like such a little payoff for what you get.

Also, biggest D'oh! Moment for me was during path B and not knowing you didn't have to go through the amusement park to get back to the city. When the Goliath was attacked I went towards the park and gave me a joke ending which SET ME BACK 2 HOURS. :argh:

Over There fucked around with this message at 23:05 on Jul 22, 2017

RanKizama
Apr 22, 2015

Shinobi Heart

Over There posted:

Does ending E and deleting your save actually feel satisfying? It seems like such a little payoff for what you get.
Ending E absolutely pays off. Deleting your save data (which is optional) is more of a moral choice, but it does give you a nice warm feeling knowing that you're helping someone else out there get through that final struggle the way others helped you.

Annnnnnd now I'm misty-eyed.

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011
Man, I am not happy about losing my second sword, 9S fights so slowly compared to the drat dervish that 2B is. And they really shoulda made it clearer/easier to combat possess robits; having to sneak up on them was super irritating and I didn't even figure it out until I tried to get the rabbit to start fighting.

At least I can finally get those impossible chests now with floaty robits!

Over There
Jun 28, 2013

by Azathoth

Man, I am not happy about losing my second sword, 9S fights so slowly compared to the drat dervish that 2B is. And they really shoulda made it clearer/easier to combat possess robits; having to sneak up on them was super irritating and I didn't even figure it out until I tried to get the rabbit to start fighting.

Don't forget to press L2 when you're hacking. I was poo poo at it till I realized that option. :toot:

some bust on that guy
Jan 21, 2006

This avatar was paid for by the Silent Majority.

Over There posted:

Don't forget to press L2 when you're hacking. I was poo poo at it till I realized that option. :toot:

Also don't forget to use the right control stick to aim. I went through the whole play through without knowing that.

some bust on that guy fucked around with this message at 00:08 on Jul 23, 2017

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

Yeah I was uncomfortable with 9S's combat style at first too, though it's an understandable concession to highlight that he's a Scanner model not a Battle model.

Hot tip if you prefer combat over hacking for 9S: Use a spear, then hold the attack button to railgun robits in the face with it.

Over There posted:

And this is a real pro tip, I've seen so many people (and was, at one point, one of them) say that they didn't even know you could lock on in hacking mode. It's a gamechanger.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

You can't get those chests with floaty robots. In 9S's hands their float is significantly worse than his jump.

some bust on that guy
Jan 21, 2006

This avatar was paid for by the Silent Majority.

RanKizama posted:

Ending E absolutely pays off. Deleting your save data (which is optional) is more of a moral choice, but it does give you a nice warm feeling knowing that you're helping someone else out there get through that final struggle the way others helped you.

Annnnnnd now I'm misty-eyed.

But they don't actually need it. If someone actually needed my help, perhaps I would think about it. I had all my data backed up onto a external hard drive anyway. I recommend doing that if you want to delete your data.

Sax Solo
Feb 18, 2011

Man, I am not happy about losing my second sword, 9S fights so slowly compared to the drat dervish that 2B is.

With cypress stick and some critical up he tears through poo poo pretty fast.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

some guy on the bus posted:

But they don't actually need it. If someone actually needed my help, perhaps I would think about it. I had all my data backed up onto a external hard drive anyway. I recommend doing that if you want to delete your data.

Nah, that's actually super lame and misses the point hard.