Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
I probably used the wrong word. The DLCs (and I think Scholar) messed with some enemy stats but that's talk for the far future.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

Even that's not as much as some folks claim. (I occasionally show off a picture regarding this but it'll be spoilers for a long while.)

VodeAndreas
Apr 30, 2009

NGDBSS posted:

:confused: I don't recall any Souls game really nerfing pyromancies, except maybe DS3? There are only a few major differences between DS1 and DS2 pyromancies, and all effectively serve to "smooth" your character progression in DS2 rather than have it be rather modal as in DS1. The first is that you start out with fewer casts in the latter but can end up getting strictly more with sufficient Attunement. (There's also equipment for increasing casts.) The second is that you can't just boost your Pyromancy Flame with sufficient souls, but instead have to use Fire Seeds in return for requiring fewer souls overall. (But you eventually get access to about 20 across an entire playthrough, and you only need 10 to fully upgrade the Flame.) And the last is that Pyromancy Flames get scaling with your fire bonus, accounting for around half the potential spell bonus, so you can't just dump your casting stats like you could in DS1. (But you don't need much investment, relatively speaking, to hit the soft caps for fire in the first place.)

DS2 had a patch which rebalanced the pyromancies, especially the Flame Weapon enchant... Which was originally pretty overpowered for not having to put any stats into it if I'm honest.

necroid
May 14, 2009

ok I'm only 20 minutes into the first one and not yet high enough to decide whether it's good or bad (it's super janky though) but this guy recut all of DS, DS2 and DS3 into movies?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V07r7p4rf3I

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LIZ1wPPPbE8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UsZGUf7qDEs

in case you're jonesing for DS stuff

I guess this is what a saturday night amounts to in your 30s without your gf around for the weekend :negative:

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

Perhaps you want to put those behind links or something? Or were you in the wrong thread?

Geop
Oct 26, 2007

btw, updates are a-comin'. Just getting started on audio editing :staredog: Should start posting the next session by next week.

DMW45
Oct 29, 2011

Come into my parlor~
Said the spider to the fly~
After finally binging through and completing Dark Souls 3, I gotta say... I like 2 better due to gameplay.

2 made running around shieldless way more viable and fun.

IronSaber
Feb 24, 2009

:roboluv: oh yes oh god yes form the head FORM THE HEAD unghhhh...:fap:

Geop posted:

btw, updates are a-comin'. Just getting started on audio editing :staredog: Should start posting the next session by next week.

:dance:

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Geop posted:

The continuing tales of President Michael Wilson? I can't wait.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

BenRGamer posted:

After finally binging through and completing Dark Souls 3, I gotta say... I like 2 better due to gameplay.

2 made running around shieldless way more viable and fun.

I don't agree. But I do agree that the overly hectic combat pacing of 3 makes 2 feel a lot more pleasant comparatively.

Kase moch
Jun 5, 2012

Gentlemen prefer blondes
poo poo, I didn't know the thread restarted... thought Geop got sick of goons and was just posting new episodes on youtube.

Dunno if it's better or worse that there's actually a new thread to accompany the LP!

Kuvo
Oct 27, 2008

Blame it on the misfortune of your bark!
Fun Shoe

Geop posted:

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

even speedwagon was trolled

Remind minifoo to encode the backlog.

Sum Gai
Mar 23, 2013

double nine posted:

I don't agree. But I do agree that the overly hectic combat pacing of 3 makes 2 feel a lot more pleasant comparatively.

I don't agree that 2 is less hectic. If anything it's moreso, what with all the crap you have to deal with, but it also hamstrings your ability to handle those kinds of situations.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

Sum Gai posted:

I don't agree that 2 is less hectic. If anything it's moreso, what with all the crap you have to deal with, but it also hamstrings your ability to handle those kinds of situations.

Eeeeh, 2's combat felt a lot slower and deliberate. 3 has some insanely fast enemies that'd make the tasmanian devil blush.

But this isn't really the place for this discussion, I think. Geop, try jumping.

Geop
Oct 26, 2007

oops !!

IronSaber
Feb 24, 2009

Surprise! It's your old buddy, the Pursuer!

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
Welcome back Geop. Now that you've learned what it means to be president of these great United States of America, I'm sure the rest of the game will be a breeze for you.

Brutal Garcon
Nov 2, 2014

Presumably that guy was just an Ornstein fanboy, given that some rando murdered the original (and then went on to set themselves on fire).

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

Dzhay posted:

Presumably that guy was just an Ornstein fanboy, given that some rando murdered the original (and then went on to set themselves on fire).

Nah, some rando murdered the illusion duplicate of the original while the original went on to look for the third child of Gwen.

I think?

But I mean who wouldn't want to cosplay as Ornstein?

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

Yeah, if you check the description of the Old Dragonslayer Soul it says that he's "reminiscent of a certain knight that appears in old legends", so OD definitely isn't Ornstein himself. Though the item you can get from said soul is still nifty.

NGDBSS fucked around with this message at 04:56 on Jul 17, 2017

Shei-kun
Dec 2, 2011

Screw you, physics!
Old Dragonslayer, whatever.

The best part of this video was the camera pan that let Geop see the Pursuer dash towards him while he was stuck in the chest opening animation.

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

Rhino, you did this to me!

Shei-kun posted:

The best part of this video was the camera pan that let Geop see the Pursuer dash towards him while he was stuck in the chest opening animation.

It's funny because the point of the chest is to catch people off guard being greedy. In reality the trigger for the Pursuer is standing about in front of the chest so he started spawning while he was just standing there. If you just run at the chest and open it you have more than enough time to dodge away.

Thesaya
May 17, 2011

I am a Plant.
Having replayed Monkey Island recently my first thought was "IT'S LECHUCK!" I wish you could put a beard and pirate hat on him...

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

I just wanna say that the opening was beautiful.

By the by Geop, on the bonfire warp screen, the locations with an orange border are where the game thinks you can find plenty of other players to co-op with or invade, based on your soul level memory

double nine fucked around with this message at 09:33 on Jul 17, 2017

OutofSight
May 4, 2017
I am kind of jealous, how "casually bad" DS2 invaders apparently are on console. What a waste of the UGS + off-hand rapier combo.

Anime Reference posted:

Dude was definitely not showing the mace enough respect.

Dude was alreaddy showing no understanding of his own "Greatsword" moveset. Maces can and should be outspaced in pvp.

OutofSight fucked around with this message at 13:57 on Jul 17, 2017

BDA
Dec 10, 2007

Extremely grim and evil.

KeiraWalker
Sep 5, 2011

Me? Don't worry about me...
Grimey Drawer

Anime Reference posted:

The mace is what lightning weapons were to DkS. It'll just tear through absolutely everything in the game once you get a feel for it.

Geop
Oct 26, 2007

double nine posted:

I just wanna say that the opening was beautiful.

By the by Geop, on the bonfire warp screen, the locations with an orange border are where the game thinks you can find plenty of other players to co-op with or invade, based on your soul level memory
oh wow, I did not know that was even a possibility in the UI. Thanks!

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I wish the Old Dragonslayer had a bit more hp or something, just because I think his theme is one of the best in the series.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NFrcmJQencc

It being a heavier, more drums and deeper horns oriented version of half of Biggie and Small's original theme is great.

Geop said it pisses him off a bit but I think the Old Dragonslayer being in the game sort of drives home one of the game's major themes, it just won't be obvious for a while.

RBA Starblade fucked around with this message at 22:06 on Jul 17, 2017

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

Yeah, I'm kind of bummed how the mace effectively brutalized Ol' Dragonslayer. With base equipment he's pretty fun and challenging because you don't do a lot of damage, and thus have to dodge more. He also has some attack moves that are similar but different from the DS1 bossfight. Good luck getting through the dragon + stone/heide knights gauntlet with base equipment though.

Really, I wish he wasn't such a pushover, his design is pretty cool, his music rocks, his moves are clearly telegraphed, making him still good for an early game boss.

BDA
Dec 10, 2007

Extremely grim and evil.

double nine posted:

Yeah, I'm kind of bummed how the mace effectively brutalized Ol' Dragonslayer. With base equipment he's pretty fun and challenging because you don't do a lot of damage, and thus have to dodge more. He also has some attack moves that are similar but different from the DS1 bossfight. Good luck getting through the dragon + stone/heide knights gauntlet with base equipment though.

Really, I wish he wasn't such a pushover, his design is pretty cool, his music rocks, his moves are clearly telegraphed, making him still good for an early game boss.

The dragon doesn't respawn, and its AI is exploitable enough that killing it at a fairly low level shouldn't be that big a problem. Obviously nobody playing for the first time will figure that out though, they'll just see an rear end in a top hat dragon covering the area in fire and "nope" on out of there (as would usually be appropriate in these games.)
And yeah, the Dragonslayer really should've gotten a buff if he was going to be pushed into the midgame by a big scary gatekeeper.

Drakyn
Dec 26, 2012

Anime Reference posted:

And yeah, the Dragonslayer really should've gotten a buff if he was going to be pushed into the midgame by a big scary gatekeeper.
Concurr'd. It really is a pity they made it so much less likely for a new player to stumble into him, because I always thought he worked VERY well as something you just blunder into entirely without warning ten minutes out of the door in DS2-Vanilla. You walk down the right road out of Majula instead of the left, you turn up the path to the big snazzy cathedral, SURPRISE IT'S A BOY speartothehead.

RBA Starblade posted:

I wish the Old Dragonslayer had a bit more hp or something, just because I think his theme is one of the best in the series.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NFrcmJQencc

It being a heavier, more drums and deeper horns oriented version of half of Biggie and Small's original theme is great.

Geop said it pisses him off a bit but I think the Old Dragonslayer being in the game sort of drives home one of the game's major themes, it just won't be obvious for a while.
Also, this. Particularly musically - goddamnit, how did I never notice that connection?
I confess, I keep not paying as close attention to this run as I did for the DS1 LP because whenever Geop gets cross with the game I feel irrationally compelled to try and explain why I like it, which I can't do because that'd mean spoiling 9/10ths of it in intense detail like a complete rear end in a top hat. :(

Demicol
Nov 8, 2009

Geop if only your PS4 had a feature that let you save the last 15 minutes of gameplay somehow when your recording setup wasn't ready. If only the controller had a dedicated button for it.

IronSaber
Feb 24, 2009

Demicol posted:

Geop if only your PS4 had a feature that let you save the last 15 minutes of gameplay somehow when your recording setup wasn't ready. If only the controller had a dedicated button for it.

Sssshhhhhh.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Honestly, I think the best way to handle Norstein would have been just to give him a goddamn area. I've probably said it before, but I love the way Heide looks and the fact there's very little to do there and you don't ever find out anything about the history of that place is one of my biggest disappointments with this game.

IGgy IGsen
Apr 11, 2013

"If I lose I will set myself on fire."
One part I love about Scholar is that they added that huge dragon. Previously we questioned the Dragonrider's credibility, because he has no dragon to ride on, now it's The Old Dragonslayer who's probably a scam because there's this huge-rear end lizard dude right in front of his door and he's too scared to lower the bridge and, y'know, slay it.

Then again, I also think the Old Dragonslayer fight is just unnecessary. It doesn't really fit into this game. I like my fanservice but Dark Souls II just kinda throws poo poo some random place and then has the audacity to ask the question "Why's this here? No one knows!"

Sternieliscious
Sep 21, 2014

Dynas: Tea warrior
I think the Pursuer was a big part of what I liked about SOTFS. True to his name, he pursues all the time. Because of that regularity we have a nice gauge to see how far along our own character has grown and how well our skills have developed. By the end of the game I looked forward to my occasional dance with the Pursuer just to see where I stood.

The Dragonslayer, however, wasn't really that memorable of a fight and could have been better served elsewhere if devs were hellbent on putting him somewhere appropriate.

LashLightning
Feb 20, 2010

You know you didn't have to go post that, right?
But it's fine, I guess...

You just keep being you!

Does our favourite cannibal, Smough, get a doubleganger after his appearance in DS1?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OutofSight
May 4, 2017

LashLightning posted:

Does our favourite cannibal, Smough, get a doubleganger after his appearance in DS1?
We encounter some big hammer guy later? There were already some hammerdudes. Time for more big hammerdudes.

(I kind of wish Geop would become a big buff hammerdude and drop that tiny and reasonable looking mace.)

OutofSight fucked around with this message at 20:59 on Jul 20, 2017

• Locked thread