Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Punkbob posted:

Just from a practical perspective it can be hard to line up a job internationally unless you have a very niche background.

Most places want you in country before they'll talk to you.

For Germany it's really easy to upgrade from a tourist visa to a job visa as a US citizen. But germanys IT scene is not known as not paying great and being really tied to Germany's apprenticeship system.

Actually with the exception of the U.K. Most European countries have easy requirements for work visas if you have a job offer. But getting that offer might be a pain.

However if you are under 30 (or 35 for a special visa through bunac for NZ) you can get a working holiday visa for Aus/NZ. Let's you live and work in the country for a year to get you foot in the door, and once you're there it's pretty easy to upgrade that to a skilled migrant visa while in country.

You can also totally apply for a skilled migrant visa from outside that will let you move to the country and look for a job if you have enough points.

U.K. Has a similar program but getting points can be harder.

I'm actually curious about this myself. I'm 26 with a Bachelors in Mechanical Engineering but only about a year of job experience in the field. I'm actually curious about how to get a job in those countries, preferably without taking a roundabout path of getting a job with a company based in those countries and then moving internally.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

Xelkelvos posted:

I'm actually curious about this myself. I'm 26 with a Bachelors in Mechanical Engineering but only about a year of job experience in the field. I'm actually curious about how to get a job in those countries, preferably without taking a roundabout path of getting a job with a company based in those countries and then moving internally.

If you're curious about Australia/NZ, have a look at a "points calculator" and see if you qualify. The unknown would be if the relevant assessing authority for engineers would give you credit for your US degree and work experience, only they could answer that (and probably only as part of the assessment process, after you give them your money).

If you don't have enough points now, another two years of work experience might help (caveat: see above), otherwise going to school here for a Master's would definitely put you over the bar to self-sponsor.

We used to have an expats thread in BFC but it dropped into archives long ago.

freeasinbeer
Mar 26, 2015

by Fluffdaddy
You'd have to play with points for Aus/NZ but iirc Mech Engineer is on the skilled shortage list for both so you might have enough points to come over with only a year.

My biggest warning for those two is that pay isn't US levels exactly and just about everything is more expensive.

Edit: For NZ you'd have enough points if you had a job offer in hand(somewhat impossible in my experience) or if you were already employed over there(much easier if you come over on the under 30 working holiday visa).

And if you timed it right you could do two years on the working holiday visa. First get the Bunac one and then the regular one.

freeasinbeer fucked around with this message at 18:26 on Jul 4, 2017

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe
You might be able to pick up a job as a mechanical engineer. I'm sure there'd be a few companies interested. A US engineering degree should fit within the Washington Accord requirements and if the employer is satisfied they can jump through the hoops with Immigration to allow you to stay in New Zealand longer.

In terms of actually getting a job contact the companies directly. Even if it's by email I forward the emails to relevant departments within the company, and other companies will do the same.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

pig slut lisa posted:

My wife and I keep our finances fairly separate, in that my paycheck goes into a checking account that on;y my name is on and her paycheck goes into a paycheck that only her name is on. However, we also each send some cash on a monthly basis to a joint account out of which we pay the mortgage, several recurring bills, etc. We also talk about money and finances all the time (at least twice a week, while walking the dog or whatever). Furthermore, our savings rate is already pretty high, so there's no worry about whether one or the other is spending themselves to the brink. I don't know which of these factors matters more or less, but this system works well for us!

From what I can tell it's the sending of money back and forth that bugs her the most, even though I don't really consider it a big deal. She says she doesn't want to go through the effort of figuring out what % of what each of us has to pay but I'm like "yo it's the same number each month" :shrug:

pig slut lisa
Mar 5, 2012

irl is good

I couldn't decide which of a couple threads to post this in, so I'm tossing it here:

https://twitter.com/amberkanwar/status/882556097466388480

That seems...not good.

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

:hampants::hampants::hampants:

pig slut lisa posted:

I couldn't decide which of a couple threads to post this in, so I'm tossing it here:

https://twitter.com/amberkanwar/status/882556097466388480

That seems...not good.

That's some pure-strain BWM, Lisa!

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

I assume that's bad?

I guess it's because all the prices are loving sky high so commission is too.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
Middlemen control at least 2% of your economy...that's a lotta parliament seats!

pig slut lisa
Mar 5, 2012

irl is good

Listening to an extremely loud Cupid Shuffle in my office because HR plays a song over the intercom every Friday morning at 8:30 and we can't control the volume in our offices.

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

pig slut lisa posted:

Listening to an extremely loud Cupid Shuffle in my office because HR plays a song over the intercom every Friday morning at 8:30 and we can't control the volume in our offices.

Truly, the best department in any place of work.

Enfys
Feb 17, 2013

The ocean is calling and I must go

TO THE RIGHT TO THE RIGHT TO THE RIGHT TO THE RIGHT

Higgy
Jul 6, 2005

Grimey Drawer
That sounds miserable, super glad we don't have an intercom system where I work, I shudder to think how it would be used.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Higgy posted:

That sounds miserable, super glad we don't have an intercom system where I work, I shudder to think how it would be used.

I think it is awesome. I would have started to dance.

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot
Hey guys - general job-seeking question: has anyone used "Indeed.com" for submitting resumes to companies? If so do they need or retain any sensitive PII like your SSN or things like that?

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Are you looking at me Senpai?

Grimey Drawer
If I'm investing $10,000 in a stock I already own, and I want to only sell those stocks, do I need to record anything pertaining to specid or do I just select the specid option when it comes time to sell?

I have a bunch in VTSAX and I want to put some more into it, and the $10k will go for future investments. I'd rather let the older stocks keep and grow their value when it comes time to sell the original 10k.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
That questions makes no sense. Can you explain very clearly and simply what you are trying to do?

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Grimey Drawer

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

That questions makes no sense. Can you explain very clearly and simply what you are trying to do?

I presently hold 739 shares of VTSAX. They were all purchased at one time.

I have $10,000 that I would like to use to buy more shares of VTSAX.

In about 5 years, I want to sell only the shares that were purchased with the $10,000. I'd like to leave the original 739 shares alone.

My understanding was that the specific ID (specid) of a stock could be sold, rather than first in, first out.

Do I need to do anything special now, when I'm buying the stock - e.g. jot down and record the specid somewhere? Or when it comes time to sell in 5 years, do I just tell Vanguard that I'm only selling whatever VTSAX shares were purchased in July 2017?

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

Why do you care to precommit to selling one vs the other? Shouldn't you choose at the time of sale based on tax concerns?

Xenoborg
Mar 10, 2007

MJP posted:

I presently hold 739 shares of VTSAX. They were all purchased at one time.

I have $10,000 that I would like to use to buy more shares of VTSAX.

In about 5 years, I want to sell only the shares that were purchased with the $10,000. I'd like to leave the original 739 shares alone.

My understanding was that the specific ID (specid) of a stock could be sold, rather than first in, first out.

Do I need to do anything special now, when I'm buying the stock - e.g. jot down and record the specid somewhere? Or when it comes time to sell in 5 years, do I just tell Vanguard that I'm only selling whatever VTSAX shares were purchased in July 2017?

You can choose by individual purchase lots when you sell. If you click go to sell vanguard stocks, select a stock, hit edit cost basis, select individual, you can see the whole list. Its got the date, size, value, gain, ect so you dont need to record anything now.

Potrzebie
Apr 6, 2010

I may not know what I'm talking about, but I sure love cops! ^^ Boy, but that boot is just yummy!
Lipstick Apathy

Three-Phase posted:

Hey guys - general job-seeking question: has anyone used "Indeed.com" for submitting resumes to companies? If so do they need or retain any sensitive PII like your SSN or things like that?

I've used Indeed and I don't have any recollection of this being an issue. That was in Sweden though, so I guess they might behave differently outside the EU?

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Xenoborg posted:

You can choose by individual purchase lots when you sell. If you click go to sell vanguard stocks, select a stock, hit edit cost basis, select individual, you can see the whole list. Its got the date, size, value, gain, ect so you dont need to record anything now.

I think the question is why you would want to do that in this case.

Xenoborg
Mar 10, 2007

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

It lets you control how much tax you pay now vs later is just about the only use to it.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Not sure if this is the best thread for asking this, but my parents are trying to sell our timeshare, and I want to help them as we need the money pretty bad. What's the best/fastest way to sell timeshares? They're hoping for a pretty good chunk of money from this.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!
I don't have particular knowledge but they're probably going to have to accept a lot less than they paid if they want to sell it fast. Timeshares are notoriously difficult to sell.

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Grimey Drawer

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

My logic - and correct me if I'm wrong - is that the 739 shares I already hold would have more value down the line if I hold them, as opposed to however many $10k would buy today.

I mean at this point it's all long-term capital gains anyway. But wouldn't it be basic buy low, sell high?

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

but if you're selling ($10,000)*X where X is the amount your investment appreciated/depreciated, who cares whether it was share 1 or share 3, provided it's all LTCG?

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Grimey Drawer

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

but if you're selling ($10,000)*X where X is the amount your investment appreciated/depreciated, who cares whether it was share 1 or share 3, provided it's all LTCG?

Since I'm not really sure what to save this for (outside of our existing traditional IRAs and 401k, the latter of which is something like 10%) this is all post-tax for who knows what, my logic would be to hang on to the longer-held stocks simply because they'll have a higher value.

If my thinking is off, I'm all for correction.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

A (common) share at point in time T is worth exactly the same as all other common shares.

Super Dan
Jan 26, 2006

MJP posted:

Since I'm not really sure what to save this for (outside of our existing traditional IRAs and 401k, the latter of which is something like 10%) this is all post-tax for who knows what, my logic would be to hang on to the longer-held stocks simply because they'll have a higher value.

If my thinking is off, I'm all for correction.

The longer-held stocks will have a higher profit (and therefore, more capital gains tax), because you bought them for a lower price, but they won't have higher value.

BEHOLD: MY CAPE
Jan 11, 2004

Dr. Gitmo Moneyson posted:

Not sure if this is the best thread for asking this, but my parents are trying to sell our timeshare, and I want to help them as we need the money pretty bad. What's the best/fastest way to sell timeshares? They're hoping for a pretty good chunk of money from this.

Most timeshares are worth a tiny fraction of what they were originally sold for, if not actually nothing at all

Hutzpah
Nov 6, 2009
Fun Shoe
I've been given the task of consolidating my 90 year old grandmothers various savings into one place since no one in my family has any interest in it and would hire a financial advisor otherwise. I was thinking of getting everything other than her cash savings (CDs, IRAs, and various bonds) into one vanguard account. Once I get this accomplished, what is a good fund or series of funds to maintain her wealth (200k or so) with little risk? She lives with my parents and has no expenses or income other than token social security. The plan is to keep the money available for the inevitable end of life healthcare expenses.

Rick Rickshaw
Feb 21, 2007

I am not disappointed I lost the PGA Championship. Nope, I am not.
If I were in your situation, I would be so worried about losing any percentage of it that I would just stick it in a savings account. Or at least get sign-off from multiple family members before choosing a fund.

I'm not anti-risk with my own money. I'm running a 90/10 stocks/bonds portfolio myself (with a small gambling fund on the side). But I wouldn't be able to sleep at night if I thought I could be blamed for causing my grandmother's finances to go sideways, especially since my own family has no clue about investing.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

Yeah I think I'd just do a savings account. All that stock/bond allocation wisdom is about like, amortizing over many years. I mean, if you expect your grandma to live to 115 and want to make a 25-year plan, power to you, but in the short term I think cash is fine. I guess morbidly estimating the remaining lifespan of your loved ones is a part of financial planning.

DNK
Sep 18, 2004

Also as an end-of-life plan I'd consider transferring money over into relatives' accounts slowly. This is ~14k per year ("gifted") that is tax free and legal.

Also consider buying things that she will enjoy for herself -- foot massager, a nice chair, magazine subscriptions, etc. This is all legit.

If she ever gets on Medicaid or into a medicaid-funded nursing home they will seize all of her assets and use it to pay for her expenses. You will not have the option of keeping much. Keep detailed records on when / how if you transfer her savings into any of your family's accounts. You may get audited.

e: you can also charge "reasonable" expenses for being caretakers / landlords, but this is generally taxable. Again, make note of this and make sure you count it as income on your returns.

Hutzpah
Nov 6, 2009
Fun Shoe
Thanks for the quick feedback. It's mostly because some of her money is tied up in strange investment accounts recommended by god knows who however many years ago. Sounds like ill stick to focusing on getting it all together in one place and not so much on what kind of returns it's getting.

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

Dr. Gitmo Moneyson posted:

Post this in the bad with money thread, you'll get better feedback.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

DNK posted:

Also as an end-of-life plan I'd consider transferring money over into relatives' accounts slowly. This is ~14k per year ("gifted") that is tax free and legal.

Unless she's past the exemption (measured in millions) the money is better spent making sure her estate plan in order and everything is in a trust. Don't start doling out grandma's money willy nilly.

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

they don't know all alien abduction experiences can be explained by people thinking saving private ryan was a documentary

Boy howdy the myth of the gift tax will just never die. It's right up there with your taxes going up and your paycheck going down when you get a raise somehow because brackets and liberals. Must be a uniquely American or catholic guilt thing maybe, you have to have some negative association to pin on good financial news or you just don't feel right.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DNK
Sep 18, 2004

It's real...
https://www.irs.com/articles/7-things-you-should-know-about-gift-tax

https://www.irs.gov/businesses/small-businesses-self-employed/frequently-asked-questions-on-gift-taxes

and to the guy saying to prepare her estate with her money: yeah of course.