Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen

Hollismason posted:

What even is the special procedure if McCain cannot return to the Senate? Possible re-election? Governor appointment? Then special election?

In most states it's Governor appointment.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

BadOptics posted:

E:^^^^^^^^^^^^^^What are your thoughts on NASA's child slave camp on Mars?

Wow, I just read like 5 pages of fried chicken chat and not one of you motherfuckers mentioned Bojangles. :colbert:

Ahem:

Evil Fluffy posted:

Bojangles runs circles around Chik Fil-a and it's not even close. KFC's biscuits are also still better than anything Chik Fil-a has ever produced.

Looks like you didn't read enough fried chicken chat :colbert:

Impeach Fried Chicken

moostaffa
Apr 2, 2008

People always ask me about Toad, It's fantastic. Let me tell you about Toad. I do very well with Toad. I love Toad. No one loves Toad more than me, BELIEVE ME. Toad loves me. I have the best Toad.

Arglebargle III posted:

How can you fail at cooking rice? There's a one button machine to do it for you.

We spend too much on avocados to afford such luxuries

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
I'm 100% sure that horseshoes do in fact exist. There is no need for theory

Charliegrs
Aug 10, 2009

Hollismason posted:

What even is the special procedure if McCain cannot return to the Senate? Possible re-election? Governor appointment? Then special election?

I believe our idiot govenor Doug DUCEY gets to appoint a senator (from the same party) to serve our the remainder of McCain's term. At least I think that's how it works.

Which makes me curious if the white house is lobbying Ducey to get him to pick someone who will be a solid yes on the healthcare bill.

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

Color me surprised by your view on the life changing human right of education that is limited for so many by so few.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

BadOptics posted:

Wow, I just read skimmed like 5 pages of fried chicken chat and not at least one of you motherfuckers mentioned Bojangles. :colbert:

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

Hollismason posted:

I'm 100% sure that horseshoes do in fact exist. There is no need for theory

If gravity is a theory, then so are horseshoes. :colbert:

skylined!
Apr 6, 2012

THE DEM DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON

Grouchio posted:

Who's the lady in your avatar?

karen handel who beat john ossoff for the ga06 seat. i made a joke in a thread that she wouldnt shut the gently caress up about nancy pelosi and it reminded me of the peckerwood comic avatar thing and welp

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Evil Fluffy posted:

Impeach Fried Chicken

What happened to that guy? OP then Trump end him?

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
Uh am I wrong?

http://www.azleg.gov/arsDetail/?title=16

http://www.azleg.gov/viewdocument/?docName=http://www.azleg.gov/ars/16/00222.htm

Vacancy

Seems the governor appoints someone from the same party and then they're to hold a special election.

skylined!
Apr 6, 2012

https://twitter.com/Reuters/status/887032927120478209

uh oh

Hollismason posted:

Uh am I wrong?

http://www.azleg.gov/viewdocument/?docName=http://www.azleg.gov/ars/16/00222.htm

Vacancy

Seems the governor appoints someone from the same party and then they're to hold a special election.

ya this is how i understand it

smoke sumthin bitch
Dec 14, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

PhazonLink posted:

I heard several public radio pieces about this is exactly what happened and I think there's also a documentary too. The older sane leadership got pushed out by giant POS.

NRA was always garbage. Theyve been contributing to institutional racism and mass incarceration since the beginning. Most of the gun control measures theyve pushed was to prevent black people from owning firearms. theyve never been "sane"

skylined! posted:

i'm really really curious what your favorite fast food place is

we dont have a lot variety of fast food chains here in quebec. not sure how to call them in english but i like small mom and pop poutine spots we call em "casse croute"

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Charliegrs posted:

I believe our idiot govenor Doug DUCEY gets to appoint a senator (from the same party) to serve our the remainder of McCain's term. At least I think that's how it works.

Which makes me curious if the white house is lobbying Ducey to get him to pick someone who will be a solid yes on the healthcare bill.

Pretty sure McCain would ride out his time as Senator rather than resign. That's pretty maverick IMO

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Boon posted:

Pretty sure McCain would ride out his time as Senator rather than resign. That's pretty maverick IMO

Honestly, this is the best plausible thing he could possibly do. Remain unable to vote in the Senate while clogging the seat.

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

Hollismason posted:

Uh am I wrong?

Vacancy

The question didn't ask what happens if McCain dies

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

smoke sumthin bitch posted:

NRA was always garbage. Theyve been contributing to institutional racism and mass incarceration since the beginning. Most of the gun control measures theyve pushed was to prevent black people from owning firearms. theyve never been "sane"

we dont have a lot variety of fast food chains here in quebec. not sure how to call them in english but i like small mom and pop poutine spots we call em "casse croute"

Poutine with duck fat is on another level entirely to fast food. It's like the platonic ideal of greasy food - so good yet so indulgent it reminds you to go easy instead of eating it all the time.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Charliegrs posted:

Pretty sure Ducey wants desperately to appoint whoever bursts out of the chest of Ted Cruz's most recent victim.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

Feldegast42 posted:

The Daily Mail is the Fox News of British newspapers and is far right (and widely read). So far right that it used to be called the Daily Heil back in the day since they were on the side of Britain allying with Hitler.

Oh ho ho buddy if you think we've stopped calling it the Heil, you got another thing coming.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Overwined posted:

This may be a big "no duh!" moment for a lot of you, but I just realized that this Presidency got so, so much worse so much faster than I imagined it ever would. And it's still spiraling. That'll teach me to be optimistic regarding American politics ever again.

Dude gate to tell you this but we're still on one of the best case scenarios given Trump's election. I was expecting Medicaid to be abolished in a matter of weeks. We're six months in and he's accomplish Ed relatively little.

skylined!
Apr 6, 2012

skylined! posted:

https://twitter.com/joshledermanAP/status/887033755113844738

kislyak &co back in town meeting with the state department. i am guessing to continue demanding the two russian spy compounds in exchange for not releasing the pee tape

sidebar how the gently caress is kislyak still alive holy poo poo that dude must have some health problems

https://twitter.com/kylegriffin1/status/887086979132862464

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

We haven't heard from McCain at all, have we?

That's uh.....not good. Not even a twitter pic with a thumbs up or anything.

Overwined
Sep 22, 2008

Wine can of their wits the wise beguile,
Make the sage frolic, and the serious smile.

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Dude gate to tell you this but we're still on one of the best case scenarios given Trump's election. I was expecting Medicaid to be abolished in a matter of weeks. We're six months in and he's accomplish Ed relatively little.

I suppose. But I was counting on a little more than the token resistance we've gotten from centrists so far.

I do think dark days are coming for our Cheeto Overlord. We're just going to have to wait for it while he puts matches to everything we've built over the last century or so.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Dude gate to tell you this but we're still on one of the best case scenarios given Trump's election. I was expecting Medicaid to be abolished in a matter of weeks. We're six months in and he's accomplished relatively little.

Yea, this is exactly how I'm feeling. Thanks to all the chaos and general incompetence, we're in one of the better versions of how this mess could have gone down. They loving still haven't repealed Obamacare!

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything
Even pragmatically, you should be hoping McCain recovers.

McCain occasionally votes against the party and would probably vote to remove Trump for office if it came to that.

His replacement wouldn't.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Before we give them back we should install three major wiretapping systems labeled 1, 2, and 4.

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Illegal Hen

FizFashizzle posted:

Does McCain usually use those newfangled internet machines?

To be fair, dude just had essentially brain surgery. That would put anyone down for the count for a while.

BigBallChunkyTime fucked around with this message at 00:25 on Jul 18, 2017

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Ague Proof posted:

McCain occasionally votes against the party and would probably vote to remove Trump for office if it came to that.

He doesn't and he wouldn't. He's a loving useless pussy.

Lote
Aug 5, 2001

Place your bets

FizFashizzle posted:

It's the same thing with Scalise. He's not out of the woods because deep tissue infections in the hip are a big loving deal. He's got a big chance he doesn't make it out of the hospital. Of course if he dies people are going to be :tinfoil: but that's the way gunshots go if you hit an artery/vein plus the colon.

skylined!
Apr 6, 2012

more good news

https://twitter.com/scottbix/status/887086169594486784

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Ague Proof posted:

McCain votes against the party when the party was going to lose even without his support.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

I wouldn't have been remotely surprised to find we were in full-scale WW3 by now, so Trump and family merely managing to smear their poo poo over every institution of American democracy is nearly miraculous. The country still exists and things beneath the Federal level are still more-or-less functional, and most importantly the legal system has successfully stopped several things Trump has attempted to implement. e; Plus the media has rediscovered their balls and is making at least an effort to hold power to account, which is nice.

I have no clue what the future holds and the legacy of Trump and the movement that elected him is probably going to be something America has to wrestle with for a long long time, but we're probably going to come out the other side with merely thousands of unnecessary deaths, which is awful but a lot better than the full-blown fascism or global thermonuclear war that Cheeto Benito seemed to herald.

Ms Adequate fucked around with this message at 00:23 on Jul 18, 2017

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

they obviously weren't doing that good a job since dick cheney is still up and living (somehow against the will of god and man)

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything

Evil Fluffy posted:

McCain votes against the party when the party was going to lose even without his support.

There was that one time where his vote counted. Something about environmental regulations.

erosion
Dec 21, 2002

It's true and I'm tired of pretending it isn't
Trump getting little-kid excited about big trucks is his only redeeming trait at this point.

Spite
Jul 27, 2001

Small chance of that...
How fast would gun control laws reappear if a majority of black people started open carrying again? The black panthers are basically why california has gun control.

Who am I kidding, they'd all get shot by cops within 10 minutes.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

FizFashizzle posted:

McCain was an adult when the jet engine was invented; he doesn't tweet.

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Illegal Hen

Extensive Vamping posted:

Trump getting little-kid excited about big trucks is his only redeeming trait at this point.

To be fair, I kind of want to sit in the driver's seat of that firetruck.

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

REMIND ME AGAIN HOW THE LITTLE HORSE-SHAPED ONES MOVE?

Overwined posted:

I suppose. But I was counting on a little more than the token resistance we've gotten from centrists so far.

I do think dark days are coming for our Cheeto Overlord. We're just going to have to wait for it while he puts matches to everything we've built over the last century or so.

What? The Democrats in Congress have been doing a stellar job of opposing Trump's stuff (aside from most nominees sadly), forcing the Republican caucus to muster every single one of its votes to pass major legislative priorities. Which they are failing at doing. This is actually a very impressive accomplishment given the forces in favor of an incumbent president and his agenda.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Arglebargle III posted:

McCain was an adult when the jet engine was invented; he doesn't tweet.

https://twitter.com/senorrinhatch/status/883812214574116870

• Locked thread