Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec

GrandpaPants posted:

I too love to be cryptic.

PS: Don't watch Tampopo hungry. Also, I apparently can't recognize young Ken Watanabe.

Goro was the kidnapper from High and Low

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
THEY DID IT THEY DID BARRY

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Someone can do an effortpost later but they're putting out Barry Lyndon, Fire Walk With Me and Othello in October so I'm pretty excited.

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth
Surprised they didn't hold Barry Lyndon for #900.

My money is on Grand Hotel Budapest.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.
FWWM is an odd inclusion. The Blu-ray of it is already great, and it comes with The Missing Pieces. Lynch doesn't do commentaries or anything like that so I don't know what extras they would get unless there's a new cut of the movie but even so, I figured Lynch would've done that for the existing release. It'll be interesting to see what comes of it.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Yeah FWWM is an odd choice.

Looks like Filming Othello is being included on the Othello release now though! And gently caress yeah Barry Lyndon!

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

Time for a little robot chauvinism!

Holy poo poo they outdid themselves this month.

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

You're quite good at turning me on.

Barry Lyndon is an immediate buy, I may skip FWWM since I just bought the Twin Peaks box set recently, but the one I'm pleasantly surprised with is Personal Shopper which is one of the more intriguing movies I saw last year. Missed my chance to see The Lure too.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I remember not liking Lyndon outside of the visuals but this was around 11 years ago. Definitely gonna get this one and watch on the big TV.

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
I'd be surprised if FWWM weren't a near direct port of the disc from the Entire Mystery set.

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass

Escobarbarian posted:

I remember not liking Lyndon outside of the visuals but this was around 11 years ago. Definitely gonna get this one and watch on the big TV.

I've watched it twice and fallen asleep both times. Beautiful film but a bit of a snoozer IMHO.

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

You're quite good at turning me on.

I feel like Barry Lyndon might be better served if you've had the chance to visit some stuffy 18th century European palaces. Kubrick's very good at depicting the rigid social formalities that other period movies don't really do imo

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

When they started licensing from Warner Bros., I had hoped Barry Lyndon would be one of the titles, but I didn't think they'd let go of any Kubrick films. This is beyond awesome because it's really one of Kubrick's best and deserves the first-class treatment the rest of his filmography has received (besides Lolita - which I bet is next). Even better it'll be in 1.66:1 and have both mono and 5.1 tracks. And packed with extras!

I had taken my time seeing it because I was expecting a stuffy period drama, but it's such a beautiful film and doesn't seem long at all. It helps that it's actually a very funny movie, even if it's a bit droll. The highwayman scene and Lord Bullington crashing the recital are just as comical as anything in Dr. Strangelove.

And if that's not enough, they managed to get Filming Othello for the Othello release and Vampyr is getting a Blu upgrade. I'm tempted to go ahead and pre-order directly from Criterion for Barry Lyndon because it's easily in my top 10 wishlist for Criterion titles.

(Also, they stopped right before 900, which my money is on being The Grand Budapest Hotel for a November release).

Egbert Souse fucked around with this message at 00:11 on Jul 18, 2017

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
Barry Lyndon is loving awesome you losers

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I was a lil babby when I saw it ok

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Magic Hate Ball posted:

Barry Lyndon is loving awesome you losers

This. Even if you don't find it interesting, just soak in the visuals. It's three hours of moving paintings.

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec
the Schubert trio used Barry Lyndon was written after the time the film is set and it ruined it for me

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Hector Beerlioz posted:

the Schubert trio used Barry Lyndon was written after the time the film is set and it ruined it for me

well I'm about to ruin 2001 for you, because Thus Spake Zarathustra was written considerably later than the dawn of man.

SomeJazzyRat
Nov 2, 2012

Hmmm...
Also in 2001, we did not in fact visit Jupiter. Or have highly advanced, nigh-human Artificial Intelligence.

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec
please stop ruining all my favorite movies :(

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

SomeJazzyRat posted:

Also in 2001, we did not in fact visit Jupiter. Or have highly advanced, nigh-human Artificial Intelligence.

Maybe not in your timeline. :colbert:

Also Vampyr looks cool, I'd been interested in checking that movie out for a while now.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

I couldn't really get into Vampyr- movie just didn't really click with me.

I don't like Passion of Joan of Arc either though so I guess I'm just not a Dreyer person.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Xenomrph posted:

Maybe not in your timeline. :colbert:

Also Vampyr looks cool, I'd been interested in checking that movie out for a while now.

It's awesome. Less about horror, but rather about a constant feeling of unease.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GZDCurPnFyg

Also, it's been referenced in a ton of films. Most recently, part of the "sunken place" scene in Get Out is straight from Vampyr.

Unmature
May 9, 2008
The Twin Peaks box set is out of print so this will be the only legal way to get FWWM.

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth

Unmature posted:

The Twin Peaks box set is out of print so this will be the only legal way to get FWWM.

I thought you were wrong because I bought the second version without the extra disc on a whim a little less than two months ago but no, it's definitely out of print and hitting crazy prices.

What a dumb time for it to not be available.

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
I'm guessing they'll re-release the original series sans FWWM whenever they release the new series on BR.

E.G.G.S.
Apr 15, 2006

Unmature posted:

The UK set is region free and still pretty cheap, listed on Amazon UK for £24.99

What a great month, was kinda hoping for Night of the Living Dead :(

Steen71
Apr 10, 2017

Fun Shoe

Raxivace posted:

I couldn't really get into Vampyr- movie just didn't really click with me.

I don't like Passion of Joan of Arc either though so I guess I'm just not a Dreyer person.

You should totally watch Gertrud. ;)

That's the one that even some Dreyer fans give up on. Two hours of deliberately stilted and awkward conversations. It was savaged by Danish reviewers in '64. It's amazing.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_H3AZUOm3U4

Unmature
May 9, 2008
Having now seen both I can conclude that Blow Out > Blow Up, though they are both drat fine films.

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec
Blow Out owns, yeah. Hopefully one day they'll rerelease Sisters. I think Arrow might have the best version of it out now.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
Blow Out may be the best film De Palma has made. It's obviously very debatable because he's been a fairly consistent director over the years, but some of his more iconic work hasn't aged quite as well as I'd have expected. I'm not sure Scarface and The Untouchables are the unassailable classics that they once were.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I can confirm B&N will hold an item on release date. Gonna pick up Stalker after work.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
Has anyone seen Robinson Crusoe on Mars? I blind bought it and got in the mail yesterday. Just curious for opinions on the movie.

smallmouth
Oct 1, 2009

It's a good family film. I haven't watched it for a couple years, but my then 6 yr old son liked it.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Detective No. 27 posted:

I can confirm B&N will hold an item on release date. Gonna pick up Stalker after work.

Thanks for the tip, I just called my local shop and they're holding a copy for me. :cheers:

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

Do you know anything about...
witches?

Buglord
I just picked up Stalker at my local B&N and they had a ton of copies sitting on the shelf. In fact I've never had to preorder anything during their sales, they are always well stocked. Maybe there just aren't many Criterion fans in my city.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Daveski posted:

I just picked up Stalker at my local B&N and they had a ton of copies sitting on the shelf. In fact I've never had to preorder anything during their sales, they are always well stocked. Maybe there just aren't many Criterion fans in my city.

Part of me was certain I'd be able to just walk in and grab one but at the same time I've been waiting like 2 years to see this movie so I was not taking any chances. With my luck the B&N near me would have 3 copies and all three would be gone by the time I got there after work, then bam Stalker is out of print for another decade+.

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!

Basebf555 posted:

Blow Out may be the best film De Palma has made. It's obviously very debatable because he's been a fairly consistent director over the years, but some of his more iconic work hasn't aged quite as well as I'd have expected. I'm not sure Scarface and The Untouchables are the unassailable classics that they once were.

I love de Palma but I don't know if he is consistent. The great thing about him though is that even if he fails he fails hard. He's never made a boring movie ever. Even black dahlia is an absolutely entertaining train wreck.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

The_Rob posted:

I love de Palma but I don't know if he is consistent. The great thing about him though is that even if he fails he fails hard. He's never made a boring movie ever. Even black dahlia is an absolutely entertaining train wreck.

Well, I said "fairly" consistent. He's no Kubrick of course but I do think when you look at the overall filmography the average quality is pretty high.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

MacheteZombie posted:

Has anyone seen Robinson Crusoe on Mars? I blind bought it and got in the mail yesterday. Just curious for opinions on the movie.

Visually interesting, but a little dry and drags in the middle. Still definitely watchable, but it's the kind of flick you watch with your buds while drinking or smoking.