Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

Mustached Demon posted:

There's a Kmart across the street from a Winco here. They occasionally lease the parking lot out to car dealerships for sales to give you an idea of how full it is.

Good parking lot to skip the ultra busy intersection too I guess.

Can you check if they still have SNES games, tia

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grumbletron 4000
Nov 30, 2002

Where you want it, bitch.
College Slice
Kmart trip report. The one in town that I drive past on the way to work is closing. A few days ago I saw some poor guy holding the going out of business sign. Pretty sure he was supposed to be shaking the sign around and trying to beckon people into the parking lot but it was 95 and humid that day so he was just sort of leaning against it. Pretty sure he was not well.

I needed some stuff for the car today. Wheel cleaner and soap. I was going past there anyway so I figured I'd see if they had that stuff cheap. I noticed that there were still some plants out front. Many of them very brown and sickly. 10% off. There was a yellow sign on the door alerting me that receipts and merchandise would be checked by security on the way out.

I saw all the things everyone here has mentioned. Flickering and burnt out lights. Horrible yellow and brown stains on the floors and ceiling. Ancient yellowed shelving. This store hasn't been in clearance mode for more than a week so I can't blame the piles of random poo poo just laying around in no particular order on that.

The most depressing thing about the whole experience was the smell. Piss. Not LIKE piss. An overwhelming stench of old, hot urine. It hit me the moment I walked in and it was there the whole way back to the automotive area and back up to the front.

I found a bottle of eagle1 wheel cleaner for $5.99, and a can of Ozium air freshener for $4.99. 10% off! I probably could have found the same poo poo at the Ollie's across the street for less but I didn't feel like stopping somewhere else so I bought it. The cashier was a young girl who was way more cheerful than I expected. A rent a cop checked my bag on the way out and marked my receipt with a highlighter.

The whole thing just left me bummed. I remember when Kmart was actually a good store. Going there with Mom when I was a child. Shopping for this and that. Getting little Ceasers pizza pizza and crazy bread on the way out. Oh well. Kmart has been a poo poo store for a long time and it's dead now.

That wheel cleaner was poo poo too. Left spots on my wheels. gently caress you Kmart.

JB50
Feb 13, 2008

Ive been seeing Kmart ads on TV lately and Im just like "Really?"

Heres a good video on the death of a Kmart:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W6yA7r6WfJo

Half-wit
Aug 31, 2005

Half a wit more than baby Asahel, or half a wit less? You decide.

JB50 posted:

If an alarm goes off in an abandoned K-mart, and no one is around to hear it, does it make a noise?

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Gumbel2Gumbel posted:

God, remember spending hours at the mall with your family? And Christmas shopping? Brutal.

Yeah, it was horrible. When I was a kid the store that sold Nintendo games was my only solace, we could get one if we were good the whole time.

From like 1998 to 2002, there was a Wizards of the Coast Store, and I appreciated Tower Records, so me and my friend liked that routine on Fridays.

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

JB50 posted:

that got kinda dark in the end

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
I'm assuming the malls that survive will be the ones that focus 90% on clothes stores and restaurants. And then some "experience" stores like Disney, Apple, Lego, etc. And lastly a few places like Bose & Sharper Image which have never been about good prices or convenience anyway.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Sir Lemming posted:

I'm assuming the malls that survive will be the ones that focus 90% on clothes stores and restaurants. And then some "experience" stores like Disney, Apple, Lego, etc. And lastly a few places like Bose & Sharper Image which have never been about good prices or convenience anyway.

Sans the restaurants, that's exactly one of the malls near me.

Blue Star
Feb 18, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
I hope Spencer's Gifts is doing okay :ohdear:

A Pinball Wizard
Mar 23, 2005

I know every trick, no freak's gonna beat my hands

College Slice
Upscale malls are still doing fine. It's the malls that cater to middle class folks that are dying.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

A Pinball Wizard posted:

Upscale malls are still doing fine. It's the malls that cater to middle class folks that are dying.
Correct.

Dan Bell does a series about dead malls on YouTube and most of these depressing malls are around where working class jobs have been disappearing (MI, OH, PA, WV, etc). Some of them are dying because of bad locations but most are due to the economy shifting wealth upward.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

FlamingLiberal posted:

Correct.

Dan Bell does a series about dead malls on YouTube and most of these depressing malls are around where working class jobs have been disappearing (MI, OH, PA, WV, etc). Some of them are dying because of bad locations but most are due to the economy shifting wealth upward.

All of Dan Bell's videos are cool.

Watch his dirty room series if you never want to sleep in a hotel again.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Yeah I avoid those.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Haifisch posted:

What kills me is when you're in an area with multiple malls within a 30-40 minute drive from each other, and there's no reason to switch up where you go because they all have the same damned stores. Hmm, I wonder why malls are having so much trouble? :thunk:

I have four regular malls and an outlet mall in that range, and you could cut it down to one with no meaningful impact.

this is new york's capital district in a nutshell. except while we did lose a couple malls (latham circle, clifton country and saratoga), there are still a LOT of malls in pretty close proximity and they are all doing well. it's weird.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
As with most downturns, I imagine the dying malls are the ones based on marginal business models and locations, which the successful ones are popular and well-run enough to have enough customers even in a downturn, and able to trim sails if necessary.

Melondog
Oct 9, 2006

:yeshaha:

financially racist posted:

this is new york's capital district in a nutshell. except while we did lose a couple malls (latham circle, clifton country and saratoga), there are still a LOT of malls in pretty close proximity and they are all doing well. it's weird.

It was like that in Syracuse and the surrounding area in the 90s as well. Last time I was there, though, they'd demoed at least 2 of them and converted one into a gigantic multi-brand car dealership (save for a Burlington that was somehow hanging on). They've even expanded one of the fancier ones near downtown to something like three times its original size (destroying a bunch of older businesses surrounding it in the process).

I seem to remember there being a whole bunch of malls around Rochester as well. Was there something about the I-90 corridor that just made people want to build malls?

Bean
Sep 9, 2001
We have a mall here that does gangbusters, but what you've said makes sense. They have a few upper end boutiques, little things that I can't name with curly letter logos, some upper end chains like Express, some middler but still for-people-with-money places like H&M and Forever 21. They just ditched Sears and added a poo poo TON of food into the mall, so even the poors have something to look forward to. Then there's the experience stores someone mentioned -- we have an Apple Store, a Disney Store, and I guess Williams Sonoma counts.

And probably a hundred and seven Bath and Body Works, I don't know what that's about.

Every so often you see something crop up with weirder, cheaper stuff. Right now there's a wig store in there. The actual wigs are pricey, but the rest of the store feels off and cheap. I don't see it lasting super long.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

I would really like to know why every dead mall has a GNC and a Bath and Body Works.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

FlamingLiberal posted:

I would really like to know why every dead mall has a GNC and a Bath and Body Works.

Because Bath and Body Works owns, that's why

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
Because you can't sniff soaps online. Similar reason to why you still see Yankee Candle stores. As for GNC, I suppose it's just the ever-present "maybe I need to do something about my health habits" nag that most people have. And people probably still feel more comfortable buying pills when there's someone professional-looking in the room to reassure them "Yeah, this won't kill you". Although I could easily see that company going under (or online-only) pretty soon.

Sir Lemming has a new favorite as of 19:46 on Jul 17, 2017

sharknado slashfic
Jun 24, 2011

A Pinball Wizard posted:

Yeah the one nearest me has turned itself into "destination" experience and is still packed to the gills on weekends.

e: looking at their website they even have something called "subzero nitrogen ice cream"

InediblePenguin
Sep 27, 2004

I'm strong. And a giant penguin. Please don't eat me. No, really. Don't try.

financially racist posted:

Colonie Center seems to be dying, propped up by the Christmas Tree Shop. Crossgates is doing pretty well, though.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

sharknado slashfic posted:

e: looking at their website they even have something called "subzero nitrogen ice cream"
Nitrogenated foods are a small thing now. Starbucks has Nitrogen Cold Brew that fizzes slightly.

But the ice cream is just generic Dippin Dots

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

Iron Crowned posted:

Because Bath and Body Works owns, that's why

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

FilthyImp posted:

Nitrogenated foods are a small thing now. Starbucks has Nitrogen Cold Brew that fizzes slightly.

But the ice cream is just generic Dippin Dots

Maybe not. There's an ice cream place nearby that takes the milk and cream and uses liquid nitrogen to freeze it and add flavors and chunks.

Kind of like a Coldstone Creamery but they don't start with ice cream, just the cream and sugar.

JailTrump
Jul 14, 2017

by FactsAreUseless
I got it - they can put the nighclubs...in the mall.

Or how about a bar district...inside a mall...then you can take your drinks from bar to bar.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

FlamingLiberal posted:

I'm pretty sure every mall is legally required to have a Bath and Body Works.

Outdoor outlet mall? Got one. Upscale mall? Got one. Mall for poors? Got one. Huge tourist trap mall? Got one. Fashion outlets? Got one.

Sir Lemming posted:

Because you can't sniff soaps online. Similar reason to why you still see Yankee Candle stores
Also it's the low-end smelly-body-stuff store, so people can actually afford to buy things there. Meanwhile Body Shop's been shuttering stores like mad around here, because it might have okay stuff but a lot of people don't want to pay those prices.

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

JailTrump posted:

I got it - they can put the nighclubs...in the mall.

Or how about a bar district...inside a mall...then you can take your drinks from bar to bar.

That's a good idea, as long as there were patios too.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

JailTrump posted:

I think they call them food halls.

Tumble
Jun 24, 2003
I'm not thinking of anything!

Iron Crowned posted:

Those strip malls are likely already empty now that Radio Shack is gone

i wonder how cheap rents in strip malls are going to become soon.

they aren't going to tear them down, so I can't help but think there could potentially be a small resurgence in store-based small businesses now that retail corporations are becoming a lot rarer

the towns near me have got a few independent retro game stores, a few new restaurants, a couple of dentists... all sorts of stuff.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Tumble posted:

i wonder how cheap rents in strip malls are going to become soon.

they aren't going to tear them down, so I can't help but think there could potentially be a small resurgence in store-based small businesses now that retail corporations are becoming a lot rarer

the towns near me have got a few independent retro game stores, a few new restaurants, a couple of dentists... all sorts of stuff.

I'm waiting for them to become startup office space.

Lime Tonics
Nov 7, 2015

by FactsAreUseless
When your CEO is an idiot, well..

"We don't need more customers. We have all the customers we could possibly want," Sears CEO Eddie Lampert said on Wednesday at the company's annual shareholder meeting.

May 11, 2017

http://money.cnn.com/2017/05/11/investing/sears-lampert-dont-need-more-customers/index.html

Today,

Sears is borrowing more money from CEO Eddie Lampert's hedge fund.

Lampert, through his hedge fund ESL Investments, has agreed to give the company a $200 million credit line.

http://www.businessinsider.com/sears-is-borrowing-another-200-million-from-its-ceo-2017-7

Tomorrow,

curufinor
Apr 4, 2016

by Smythe
you know, the american south let the civil war go on as long as it did and send as many of its young men to death as it did because the leaders of the confederacy couldn't loving admit they did wrong in promoting slavery and that they were deluded about king cotton swooping in and making the union submit

you don't go bankrupt from losing at gambling, you go bankrupt from the martingale you start like a loving idiot after losing your first, reasonable tranche

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Sir Lemming posted:

Because you can't sniff soaps online. Similar reason to why you still see Yankee Candle stores. As for GNC, I suppose it's just the ever-present "maybe I need to do something about my health habits" nag that most people have. And people probably still feel more comfortable buying pills when there's someone professional-looking in the room to reassure them "Yeah, this won't kill you". Although I could easily see that company going under (or online-only) pretty soon.

I kind of wonder if it's a mix of things. I'm going to guess that a lot of people just don't trust the internet enough to buy supplements from a website. When you hear stories about people getting supplements that were literally just pills full of sand it looks bad. Though that was the entire supplement industry and not just the internet. GNC is a pretty old company so I think it has that inertia behind it; the mall you've gone to forever has probably had a GNC the entire time so it's just a fact of existence. I also figure maybe they get people buying protein powder or whatever on the way to the gym. That or people who forgot to order their stuff and had to go to an actual physical store because God forbid you don't have your bottle of magical muscle goo for three or four workout sessions.

That or just old people who want to gobble every health craze in existence in a desperate attempt to not die ever.

Squashing Machine
Jul 5, 2005

I mean boning, the wild mambo, the hunka chunka
Left Sears about two months ago and the specter of dread and decay in my life vanished almost immediately, thanks for everything Eddie

Grey Fox
Jan 5, 2004

Lime Tonics posted:

When your CEO is an idiot, well..

"We don't need more customers. We have all the customers we could possibly want," Sears CEO Eddie Lampert said on Wednesday at the company's annual shareholder meeting.

May 11, 2017

http://money.cnn.com/2017/05/11/investing/sears-lampert-dont-need-more-customers/index.html

Today,

Sears is borrowing more money from CEO Eddie Lampert's hedge fund.

Lampert, through his hedge fund ESL Investments, has agreed to give the company a $200 million credit line.

http://www.businessinsider.com/sears-is-borrowing-another-200-million-from-its-ceo-2017-7

Tomorrow,

He's not an idiot; he's cartoonishly greedy beyond comprehension.

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

Subjunctive posted:

There's one by me that's an army-navy store, Chinese restaurant, nail salon, and then six different doctors offices all run by a family of medical professionals all with different specialties. It's like Kim's GP, Kim's dentistry, Kim's dermatology...

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

Subjunctive posted:

There’s an old CVS nearby that became a locally owned drug store that is now a remote working spot. So that’s pretty close.

Strip malls haven’t recovered from 2008 and I’m not sure if they ever will. Normally population growth would eventually catch up, but retail square footage is retracting and shopping habits are going online, so maybe not. They’ve tried turning malls into lofts and apartments. Maybe developers can rezone that local GNC to be a nice one bedroom apartment. Plenty of parking.

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

there wolf posted:

There's one by me that's an army-navy store, Chinese restaurant, nail salon, and then six different doctors offices all run by a family of medical professionals all with different specialties. It's like Kim's GP, Kim's dentistry, Kim's dermatology...

They are buying everything!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
It would be better to just till over blighted commercial development, let it return to natural land, and focus future efforts on denser, more sustainable urban planning rather than try to force the old bad sprawl to work.