Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Its crazy that brand awareness marketing has gotten so effective that terminally retarded posters cant stop thinking about how much they hate specific brands

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
in the room where you sleep

Dapper_Swindler posted:

Marvel is in a weird place right now, they are still rich as gently caress because Disney and the movies but their comics part has been circling the drain for a while. A lot of it has to do with how they sell them and how the keep pushing dumb plots and making GBS threads out terrible heroes that are just there to capitalize on woke poo poo. Some of the work really well a lot don't.

Comics in general are supposed to be fun pulpy nonsense about men in tights tackling each other to the ground and rolling around. When you stray from that too far and forget how to tell stories then you get unfunny trash entertainment instead of cool trash entertainment.

like either way it's supposed to be trash entertainment but goddammit, they're really cutting their noses off to spite their faces because of their addiction to this political garbage.

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

lol how is this any different from other corny garbage marvel has ever made

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

an actual dog posted:

lol how is this any different from other corny garbage marvel has ever made

They've replaced almost all of their big name characters, Iron Man, Captain America, Hulk, Thor, Wolverine, Hawkeye, with woman or minority characters. Apparently it's having a pretty big negative impact on their sales, people who liked Iron Man when it was Tony Stark don't like Iron Man when it's Riri Williams

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

Why is that bad tho

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

I dont read comics that much but theyve apparently been dying for a different reason each year

Uncle Wemus
Mar 4, 2004

Control Volume posted:

I dont read comics that much but theyve apparently been dying for a different reason each year

The consistent part is they are dying which is true

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway

an actual dog posted:

Why is that bad tho
It wouldn't be and nerds have gotten worse. The comic forums I used to browse are now completely unreadable because nerds start crying when they see a gay character at all and they see "minorities exist" as a unfair political statement to include. Whereas their own statements are so full of hate that they'd be unpublishable and would make Frank Miller sick.

Marvel comics are probably a bad implementation of inclusiveness as per those pages, but have fun having a nerd explain what's wrong with those panels in a way that doesn't make them sound like a Christian hobo screaming.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

I think there has been a significant backlash against woke media and woke politics from about 2015 on.

For the most part? I don't think it's inherently coming from a place of racism, sexism, etc. I think it's more so directed at seeing people with more power/privilege economically wagging their finger at pretty much everyone else.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Hemingway To Go! posted:

It wouldn't be and nerds have gotten worse. The comic forums I used to browse are now completely unreadable because nerds start crying when they see a gay character at all and they see "minorities exist" as a unfair political statement to include. Whereas their own statements are so full of hate that they'd be unpublishable and would make Frank Miller sick.

Marvel comics are probably a bad implementation of inclusiveness as per those pages, but have fun having a nerd explain what's wrong with those panels in a way that doesn't make them sound like a Christian hobo screaming.

FuzzySkinner posted:

I think there has been a significant backlash against woke media and woke politics from about 2015 on.

For the most part? I don't think it's inherently coming from a place of racism, sexism, etc. I think it's more so directed at seeing people with more power/privilege economically wagging their finger at pretty much everyone else.

it seems to be a mix. there is ton of reactionary nerd dipshits that spam and cry about stupid poo poo, but most of them are in their various reddit/chan boards and stay there. but probably not as many of them as they pretend(least i hope) i think the problem is the that the comics are loving terrible at inclusion implementation and some of it feels like bitter gently caress yous(cap ending up being a nazi because trump won.) for every kamala khan or Miles Morales there are 5 dumb terrible recasting or new character. its how comics have always been. to fuzzyskiners point, i believe a decent amount of backlashers probably did start off like that and for some people it still is, but i think alot of them started to believe the alt right bullshit hook line and sinker.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

I think at times there quest to do these sorts of things feels forced and hamfisted

Lady Ghostbusters comes to mind. It seemed at times it was more about some sort of "WOMEN CAN BE FUNNY AND HEROES TOO YA'LL" when both of those facts have been true for DECADES. Lucille Ball, Joan Rivers, Carol Burnett, Jane Curtain, Betty White, Cloris Leachman, and Roseanne Barr kicked some serious rear end. Sigourney Weaver, Linda Hamilton and Uma Thurman are also in this convo for women who kick rear end, take names in action flicks.

Hell I thought Charlize Theron in Mad Max was fantastic in terms of recent examples. Some idiots got up in arms over the messages, but all I saw was poo poo getting blowed up nice and good.

At times it feels like this sort of thing is actually insulting to the women I listed above because it feels like their accomplishments are swept under the rug in favor of Wonder Woman, Harry Potter, or whatever the gently caress stupid meme these idiots like.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

FuzzySkinner posted:

I think at times there quest to do these sorts of things feels forced and hamfisted

Lady Ghostbusters comes to mind. It seemed at times it was more about some sort of "WOMEN CAN BE FUNNY AND HEROES TOO YA'LL" when both of those facts have been true for DECADES. Lucille Ball, Joan Rivers, Carol Burnett, Jane Curtain, Betty White, Cloris Leachman, and Roseanne Barr kicked some serious rear end. Sigourney Weaver, Linda Hamilton and Uma Thurman are also in this convo for women who kick rear end, take names in action flicks.

Hell I thought Charlize Theron in Mad Max was fantastic in terms of recent examples. Some idiots got up in arms over the messages, but all I saw was poo poo getting blowed up nice and good.

At times it feels like this sort of thing is actually insulting to the women I listed above because it feels like their accomplishments are swept under the rug in favor of Wonder Woman, Harry Potter, or whatever the gently caress stupid meme these idiots like.

that is more because the marketing needed loving anything to make the movie sell and they saw enough idiots get mad at the women part so they said gently caress it and ran with it. didnt help the alt right played right along with them. disney with star was handeled it better. i mean there was a ton of racist poo poo about finn when the trailers hit but disney just smartly ignored it and focused on the positive hype. its all corparate bullshit because they know they can get sales this way. disney does it right for the most part and seem to have learned from gently caress ups like Pocahontas.

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

NUCLEAR BAD TAKE INCOMING

https://twitter.com/ENBrown/status/886987449884438528

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

an actual dog posted:

NUCLEAR BAD TAKE INCOMING

quote:

libertarian feminist journalist (but you may like me anyway). editor @reason—sex policy, speech, millennials, crime, panic, politics. cofounder @feministliberty

the pro-slavery caucus strikes again

Byolante
Mar 23, 2008

by Cyrano4747

I was ready to write another screed about post modernist sex negative culture warriors trying to take away people's agency in order to protect them from things they can consent to in a informed way.

Then i read the article and it turned out r Kelly is running a rape cult.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

just lol at the type of failure parents who think that having their daughter join r kelly's harem is furthering her "music career."

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Taintrunner posted:

The funniest thing about Marvel comics haphazardly adapting faux-woke crap is that their movies division wrote into contracts with Sony that Peter Parker has to be white.

Ultimate Spider-Man did the right thing by making a new character to take up the mantle instead of changing the background of an existing one.

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

super sweet best pal posted:

Ultimate Spider-Man did the right thing by making a new character to take up the mantle instead of changing the background of an existing one.

Who actually cares. Who does this matter to. Who is sincerely invested in Peter Parker being a white science teacher instead of a black child or whatever. Give me names and addresses

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
I don't read comics but I've got no compunctions about telling you what not to care about

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Crane Fist posted:

Who actually cares. Who does this matter to. Who is sincerely invested in Peter Parker being a white science teacher instead of a black child or whatever. Give me names and addresses

There are hundreds of articles about people super concerned that "popular culture character" should be PoC, queer, trans, woman, whatever. I don't get why it matter either, but hey that's what this thread is for.

Also don't dox people, thanks!

ate shit on live tv has issued a correction as of 23:18 on Jul 17, 2017

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

ate poo poo on live tv posted:

Also don't dox people, thanks!

I'm improving the discourse

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

FuzzySkinner posted:

Oh yeah noted rear end-Kicking Good Role Models Joan Rivers, Jane Curtain and loving Roseanne Barr

You have extremely weird ideas about accomplishment

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
what the hell is this

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
jesus

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

steinrokkan posted:

The very concept of superheroes is reactionary, and a just society can't be established in a country that clings to the infantile proto-fascist fantasy they represent -
this is why judge dredd is the only good comic

and the other one... erm nonemorenegative's avatar. that one.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

Crane Fist posted:

Oh yeah noted rear end-Kicking Good Role Models Joan Rivers, Jane Curtain and loving Roseanne Barr

You have extremely weird ideas about accomplishment

The point is they were funny.

That's the point.

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
That's not the point your post made though

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

I can't figure out who the joke is on here

Apart from me for thinking about this

Boosh!
Apr 12, 2002
Oven Wrangler
Wonder Woman?! Actually, you'll be dressing up as Jane Curtain from Kate and Allie for Halloween.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Crane Fist posted:

I can't figure out who the joke is on here

Apart from me for thinking about this

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
putting more diversity into comics is cool and good, and I like the characters that have come out of it. They're interesting and bring different perspectives on the silliness of comic books. what irritates me is the poo poo like that page I quoted where Nick "make Captain America a Nazi because ?????" Spencer writes super cringy pages of a comic book where Milo Yianopopopoplos and Lauren Southern's kid is lectured by a stupid satire of liberal politics.

anyway the whole thing was a response to the last page's complaining about how pop culture is coopted for politics. apologies for the capeshit derail.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Jesus, I can't tell if it's a joke or not. Sex positive stuff is mix of cool empowerment stuff and weird assholes jerking off about how mindless hedonistic pleasures and kinks are a absolute good thing in excess and must be talked about openly with everyone. I'll take it over sex negative feminists but lol the extreme is creepy. Edit: she apologized. https://mobile.twitter.com/ENBrown/status/887078760796827649

Dapper_Swindler has issued a correction as of 00:02 on Jul 18, 2017

Byolante
Mar 23, 2008

by Cyrano4747

HIJK posted:

putting more diversity into comics is cool and good, and I like the characters that have come out of it. They're interesting and bring different perspectives on the silliness of comic books. what irritates me is the poo poo like that page I quoted where Nick "make Captain America a Nazi because ?????" Spencer writes super cringy pages of a comic book where Milo Yianopopopoplos and Lauren Southern's kid is lectured by a stupid satire of liberal politics.

anyway the whole thing was a response to the last page's complaining about how pop culture is coopted for politics. apologies for the capeshit derail.

Personally i think the issue with comic books, much like a lot of other popular media styles is that instead of creating new stuff that pushes the agenda they want, they take things people already like and try and remake it in the form they want it to be. The reality is there isn't a market for the content they are trying to push but the very loud and very angry twitter/media people will try and destroy them if they don't submit to it.

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012

Byolante posted:

Personally i think the issue with comic books, much like a lot of other popular media styles is that instead of creating new stuff that pushes the agenda they want, they take things people already like and try and remake it in the form they want it to be. The reality is there isn't a market for the content they are trying to push but the very loud and very angry twitter/media people will try and destroy them if they don't submit to it.

they also do it in a foolish way.

when you're trying to create a market for new products you need to do it slowly, build up a base market, and then add to it. the Luke Cage character is actually a really great example of this. he's been around since the 70s and is now beloved and popular and his "brand" so to speak can support more black characters being introduced to Marvel. Luke Cage is his own unique character, and it makes him stand out, he's fantastic.

but even now he's an outlier, because no one wants to put in the work of making characters like that anymore. it takes too long and I guess our shorter attention spans can't accept a long wait to build interest and a big market anymore.

FuriousxGeorge
Aug 8, 2007

We've been the best team all year.

They're just finding out.

wizard on a water slide posted:

the pro-slavery caucus strikes again

what did Hillary do now?

FuriousxGeorge
Aug 8, 2007

Why do people read comic books when animation and novels exist? I just don't get it. It seems like such a worst of all worlds medium.

The best superhero (villain actually) story is worm.

https://parahumans.wordpress.com/table-of-contents/

FuriousxGeorge has issued a correction as of 01:02 on Jul 18, 2017

the bitcoin of weed
Nov 1, 2014

lol i GISed this and apparently these people are the villains

Byolante
Mar 23, 2008

by Cyrano4747

FuriousxGeorge posted:

Why do people read comic books when animation and novels exist? I just don't get it. It seems like such a worst of all worlds medium.

The best superhero (villain actually) story is worm.

https://parahumans.wordpress.com/table-of-contents/

Some people like their pulp escapism in the format comics provide. Things like Maus and city of glass exist which help prove it's not inherently an artistically bereft medium.

People don't lament the artistic merit of film just because Michael bay is spending a billion blowing poo poo up and filming it.

FuriousxGeorge
Aug 8, 2007

Byolante posted:

Some people like their pulp escapism in the format comics provide. Things like Maus and city of glass exist which help prove it's not inherently an artistically bereft medium.

People don't lament the artistic merit of film just because Michael bay is spending a billion blowing poo poo up and filming it.

It's not the content that doesn't do it for me, it's the medium. I would rather watch animated X-Men than still picture X-Men. The only benefit of not animating I can see is it makes the content significantly easier and cheaper to produce, so you get a lot more creators involved making a lot more content and that has real benefits.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

unlimited shrimp
Aug 30, 2008

FuriousxGeorge posted:

I would rather
There you go.

• Locked thread