Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica

vegetables posted:

Trevor Baxter has died. :(

Corks :( You could always hear the joy between him and Chris Benjamin in their plays.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Bicyclops posted:

TOM BAKER: [Eating a sandwich, messily dripping it all over the microphone while looking pointedly at Nick Briggs and winking] I'm going to invent some of these lines instead of reading what's on the page.

Pretty sure you could just follow around Tom Baker on a normal day and record him and that would give plenty of material for a story.

JOHNSON COCKSLAP
Apr 2, 2017

by Lowtax

Man if only there was a way the Tories weren't in power from 2010 onwards, there may have been progress on LGBT rights. :smith:

Anyone who eagerly gave them that power and propped them up must be really considering their life choices about now. They'd probably be feeling a lot of shame, and rightfully so. We are all right to hate those folks, probably forever. Villains of the 21st century.

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

Hey what the gently caress, when did Big Finish start putting stuff up on Spotify?

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

JOHNSON COCKSLAP posted:

Man if only there was a way the Tories weren't in power from 2010 onwards, there may have been progress on LGBT rights. :smith:

Today is literally the four year anniversary of the Marriage (Same-Sex Couples) Act receiving royal assent.

Or maybe that's :thejoke: I don't know. :shrug:

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.
For what it's worth, Labour's policy on same-sex marriage was that they wouldn't introduce it because the gay community didn't want it. Although, in their defence, that was because they genuinely thought that, because it was the view of the CEO of (then-)LGB charity Stonewall, Ben Summerskill (whose grandmother and mother were previous Labour ministers).

It took said CEO standing up at a Lib Dem conference and saying that same-sex marriage was just too expensive for the LGBT community–including Stonewall co-founders Michael Cashman and Ian McKellen–to collectively tell him to gently caress off. Stonewall and Labour changed their policies shortly after that, and turfed Summerskill out a few years later.

(Seriously, Stonewall under Summerskill was such a loving mess; they even gave a journalism award to Julie loving Bindel of all people! Labour under Blair was equally a mess, but with better press management.)

TinTower fucked around with this message at 23:05 on Jul 17, 2017

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

I could be a revolutionary

Gorn Myson posted:

Hey what the gently caress, when did Big Finish start putting stuff up on Spotify?

Ages ago. Their selection is pretty limited, but there are some good early ones on there for sure.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Is this like how the woman who founded the country's first domestic abuse charity became an MRA?

(Edit: responding to TinTower.)

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

Wheat Loaf posted:

Is this like how t he woman who founded the country's first domestic abuse charity became an MRA?

Pretty much.

The whole "it's too expensive" controversy pretty much robbed Summerskill of a seat in the House of Lords and he's spent the past five years sulking about it.

(And for what it's worth, the whole "you need your spouse's consent to transition" requirement is actually more trans-friendly than the previous "you need to divorce to transition" requirement, if you can believe that. The LGBT community collectively hate it, still, and for good obvious reason)

e: I love Merriam-Webster's Twitter game

https://twitter.com/MerriamWebster/status/886997710376775681

TinTower fucked around with this message at 23:23 on Jul 17, 2017

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Gorn Myson posted:

WHAT

*breaks speed of sound running to check*

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Buml0r posted:

I absolutely interpreted it as that and was about to do a big "oh you".

Instead here's a Capaldi I drew a while back that I might as well put here, apropos of nothing other than my just now remembering it.

I daresay you captured his hair perfectly, as well as his 'stickman' heritage

Ah, that's heartwarming

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Ha! It turns out that Alex Kingston was doing a Q & A at a con or something when the news broke, so the audience actually told her.

toanoradian
May 31, 2011

The happiest waffligator

Vinylshadow posted:

Ah, that's heartwarming

I'm waiting for the justification of River meeting the 13th. Hell, in Big Finish she (apparently?) met 6th, 7th, and 8th. Just have her meet all the Doctors, past and present.

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

Chokes McGee posted:

WHAT

*breaks speed of sound running to check*
I was like "hey that TV movie intro song owned I'm going to see if its on Spotify" and then 30 seconds later I'm listening to Davros thinking "what the gently caress is going on?!".

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

We're fucking built for this shit!

Gaz-L posted:

Ha! It turns out that Alex Kingston was doing a Q & A at a con or something when the news broke, so the audience actually told her.

Yep

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JZTSEKPumEY

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Cruel Rose posted:

Trevor Baxter's died. So long, Professor Litefoot.

drat. :(

We get a new Doctor, and the next day we get crushed.

I just started listening to J&L recently, and I'm on series 8. There was so much to listen to, but I thought it would go on forever.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

Oh my god I want this to happen so much. :3:

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.

juche avocado posted:

I can't stop watching yr av
sometimes i post just so i can see it

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

thrawn527 posted:

One of the reasons audios work better here, though, is actors get older, but we've already seen the "oldest" that incarnation of the Doctor will look. Sure, you can cheat sometimes, like with Peter Davison in that thing he did with David Tennant, but you can only write in so many "time vortex thingies" explaining why they look older before it starts to sound really ridiculous.

In audio, you can just assume they still look the same.

I'm hoping we get at least one more multi-doc episode before Tennant ages out of the role, would want Jodie to get a couple of years established in the role first though as well.

10 + Donna, 11 + Amy, 12 + Bill, 13 + her companion(s) would be awesome.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
I want the past Doctors to meet 13 and be like "Delightful! I was wondering if I'd ever get to do that."

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica

Senor Tron posted:

Forgetting someone?

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Joanna Lumley and Jodie Whittaker are the Doctor in 2:13

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
http://www.salon.com/2017/07/17/jodie-whittaker-doctor-who-the-sun/

Well that sure didn't take long.

Ben Soosneb
Jun 18, 2009

Bicyclops posted:

TOM BAKER: [Eating a sandwich, messily dripping it all over the microphone while looking pointedly at Nick Briggs and winking] I'm going to invent some of these lines instead of reading what's on the page.

Hey Tom, this is Clem Fandango...

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
<- The only Doctor Nude that should ever be posted is this one over here.

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica

DoctorWhat posted:

Counterpoint

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

docbeard posted:

Nicholas Briggs: "Now, Chris, you can either record these lines, or I can leave Tom here with you for a few days. How's the old liquor cabinet holding up?"

I do like the idea of Nick Briggs having weaponized Tom Baker in order to get contracts signed :3:

Murderion
Oct 4, 2009

2019. New York is in ruins. The global economy is spiralling. Cyborgs rule over poisoned wastes.

The only time that's left is
FUN TIME

Senor Tron posted:

I'm hoping we get at least one more multi-doc episode before Tennant ages out of the role, would want Jodie to get a couple of years established in the role first though as well.

Counterpoint: 10 + Martha, 11 + Clara, 12 + also Clara, 13 + Kris Marshall.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Counter counterpoint: get to poo poo

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

DoctorWhat posted:

Speak for yourself!

Hot Doctor-on-Doctor action! :circlefap:

EDIT - Uh oh, there's an arrow pointing at my av!

After The War fucked around with this message at 03:17 on Jul 18, 2017

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Guys I think I might be gay now.

*checks*

Yup, gay.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Senor Tron posted:

Yeah, I'm hoping they can all do something like this maybe at around the 20th anniversary of New Who or something. Just a huge spectacle and celebration.

The first person to try to hack into her phone for nudes (and it will happen) should be strapped to a chair and forced to watch the worst episode of Torchwood for all eternity. This punishment would be too good for Murdoch.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Bicyclops posted:

The first person to try to hack into her phone for nudes (and it will happen) should be strapped to a chair and forced to watch the worst episode of Torchwood for all eternity. This punishment would be too good for Murdoch.

There's something about the Sun going CHECK OUT THIS NAKED WOMAN this quick after the announcement that's super duper extra gross

I mean... this is the Doctor

Don't be gross about the Doctor :mad:

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Chokes McGee posted:

There's something about the Sun going CHECK OUT THIS NAKED WOMAN this quick after the announcement that's super duper extra gross

I mean... this is the Doctor

Don't be gross about the Doctor :mad:

It's 100 percent disgusting to be sure, but until someone can throw Rupert Murdoch into some kind of scream hole where he must endure a punishment worse than death, and everyone in his little empire is told they are next if they don't mend their ways, his terrible media sources are going to do this sort of thing.

Mind Loving Owl
Sep 5, 2012

The regeneration is failing! Hooooo...

Bicyclops posted:

It's 100 percent disgusting to be sure, but until someone can throw Rupert Murdoch into some kind of scream hole where he must endure a punishment worse than death, and everyone in his little empire is told they are next if they don't mend their ways, his terrible media sources are going to do this sort of thing.

"You shall use your wealth to produce an entire series of Doctor Who with Ian Levine as the lead. And then you will sit down and watch it with him!"

Mind Loving Owl fucked around with this message at 05:33 on Jul 18, 2017

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
I feel like Doctor Who nudity in the reboot era is a fairly common media phenomenon. David Tennant wound up with a meme about being hung. Yes, I realize everyone in awe of your dick is a male power fantasy, but it's not like Whittaker was photographed candidly. It was part of a job she signed up for.

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

Craptacular! posted:

I feel like Doctor Who nudity in the reboot era is a fairly common media phenomenon. David Tennant wound up with a meme about being hung. Yes, I realize everyone in awe of your dick is a male power fantasy, but it's not like Whittaker was photographed candidly. It was part of a job she signed up for.

It's the leering "See the new Doctor naked! She's a Female! Let's critique her butt!" that's the issue, not that there are nude pics of actors doing their acting out there. For European actors you can get them by the dozen, because nude scenes in theatre, movies and TV aren't exactly rare over here. Ideally it shouldn't even be worth printing as it's just a nude body. Everyone of us has one of those (no offense to our incorporeal AI friends reading this in 10 years).

n4
Jul 26, 2001

Poor Chu-Chu : (
I just rewatched the 11 -> 12 regeneration scene today and Capaldi's crazed stare immediately after regenerating is amazing. I love his expressions

https://youtu.be/4F84WapAH7M

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

n4 posted:

I just rewatched the 11 -> 12 regeneration scene today and Capaldi's crazed stare immediately after regenerating is amazing. I love his expressions

https://youtu.be/4F84WapAH7M

I can't remember who said it, but just before season 8 aired somebody posted the most perfect summation of it, it went something like:

Previously on Doctor Who:
:staredog: __________________ :ohdear:

This week on Doctor Who:
:staredog: ____ :ohdear:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
I wish Doctor Who had something similar to Star Trek's Memory Alpha/Beta. Everything is all jumbled together and it is a bit annoying trying to figure things out about the show, the wiki is filled with a bunch of comic/audio book stuff.

• Locked thread