Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

I assembled a squad of NKVD for my Soviets tonight.

I am the good guys.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Southern Heel posted:

So does anyone actually Play Force on Force? Or is it just a bunch of people recommending the book to each other?
I play it. Usually about once a year or so we'll get out one of the sourcebooks and run a few scenarios from it for a few weeks in a row. Occasionally we'll come up with silly broken scenarios of our own, or we'll play Tomorrow's War with whatever sci-fi mans are handy either.

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

Played a game of Saga today. The scenario table setup rules conspired to make a small pond in the corner of the table the only terrain feature on the table. The pond had absolutely no effect on the battle, at all. The battle of Somewhere Near A Pond didn't really make it into the history books.

Cassa
Jan 29, 2009
Viking Mud Wrestling has a few more versions to go?

Arquinsiel posted:

I play it. Usually about once a year or so we'll get out one of the sourcebooks and run a few scenarios from it for a few weeks in a row. Occasionally we'll come up with silly broken scenarios of our own, or we'll play Tomorrow's War with whatever sci-fi mans are handy either.

I've done that when I can't be bothered to remember how 40k's rules work. The special forces vs mobs has been cool to bring a few friends beyond fantasy/sci fi gaming.

Class Warcraft
Apr 27, 2006

Pac-Manioc Root posted:

I assembled a squad of NKVD for my Soviets tonight.

I am the good guys.

How'd you equip them? I gave all mine SMG's, probably not historically accurate, but early war Soviets have so very few close range firepower options so gently caress it.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Class Warcraft posted:

How'd you equip them? I gave all mine SMG's, probably not historically accurate, but early war Soviets have so very few close range firepower options so gently caress it.

Half rifles half SMGs and an LMG.

They got gunned down by german para machine guns before they could do shiiiiiit. My assault engineer squad held a key building and took like 3 squads to dislodge repelling multiple assaults until he finally war it down. Assault engineers own.

Class Warcraft
Apr 27, 2006

Pac-Manioc Root posted:

Half rifles half SMGs and an LMG.

They got gunned down by german para machine guns before they could do shiiiiiit. My assault engineer squad held a key building and took like 3 squads to dislodge repelling multiple assaults until he finally war it down. Assault engineers own.

If you can get into close combat with them they're nasty because the keep fighting to the last man due to the fanatic rule.

I just got a squad of assault engineers and drat the sculpts are really nice, wish I'd bought some of these earlier. Also got one of these:

120 points for two machine guns and a light AT gun with the recce rule aint bad. We'll see how long it survives in-game.

Class Warcraft fucked around with this message at 06:44 on Jul 18, 2017

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Give me a rifle, one round, and point me at Berlin!

Arquinsiel posted:

I waiting for Tomorrow's War book to come for a 40K thing I want to do.

Polikarpov
Jun 1, 2013

Keep it between the buoys
My BA-6 usually ends up as a posthumous Hero of the Soviet Union because I play it like its a Mad Max deathbuggy, but the reaction when you can flank a STUG or something is always hilarious.

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

I see - a friend of mine had an idea for a squad vs mooks game and maybe Tomorrow's War could be good inspiration.

Geisladisk posted:

Played a game of Saga today. The scenario table setup rules conspired to make a small pond in the corner of the table the only terrain feature on the table. The pond had absolutely no effect on the battle, at all. The battle of Somewhere Near A Pond didn't really make it into the history books.

This made me laugh

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Southern Heel posted:

I see - a friend of mine had an idea for a squad vs mooks game and maybe Tomorrow's War could be good inspiration.

Mush TW with mook AI rules from Ambush Alley The Game, gorge yourself on 15mm sci fi mans from GZG and post AARs.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Southern Heel posted:

It's literally just Force on Force with extra rules for sci-fi tech. It is a good option if you want to do a future game though.

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

Yeah that's what I'm thinking - I've got that buddy coming over today and that could be a good call. Is there a TW PDF laying around anywhere I could get a peek at? (Or AA if that's just generally more highly recommended) ?

Cheers!

EdsTeioh
Oct 23, 2004

PRAY FOR DEATH

Southern Heel posted:

Yeah that's what I'm thinking - I've got that buddy coming over today and that could be a good call. Is there a TW PDF laying around anywhere I could get a peek at? (Or AA if that's just generally more highly recommended) ?

Cheers!

Shoot an email to my username at ninjascience(dot)org

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

The Bolt Action Sea Lion campaign sign up site is up.

http://campaign.boltaction.com/

:getin:

The attacker/defender bennies seem way tilted for casual play, fukkin 40% more points and an extra tank and poo poo for defenders in some territories but w/e should still be fun.

E Company 506th PTR 101st abn div is ready to airdrop into Occupied Great Britain and liberate our allies. :911:

Han Feizi
Jul 20, 2014
Anyone here play Blood and Plunder? It seems to be catching on pretty quick around here and I'm debating diving in. After I paint all my other minis of course. :stonklol:

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Han Feizi posted:

Anyone here play Blood and Plunder? It seems to be catching on pretty quick around here and I'm debating diving in. After I paint all my other minis of course. :stonklol:

Yeah I wanna play that but my backlog is already crazy./

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

EdsTeioh posted:

Shoot an email to my username at ninjascience(dot)org

Found it myself, thanks - it seems reviews are mixed between AA/FF/TW - how does it compare mechanics-wise to CoC/BA (just for example)

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.
I loved AA when it was its own thing, so I bought FoF. The rules are probably fine, but the book is so... I dunno, overdone? It makes it feel far more complex than I like.

EdsTeioh
Oct 23, 2004

PRAY FOR DEATH

Southern Heel posted:

Found it myself, thanks - it seems reviews are mixed between AA/FF/TW - how does it compare mechanics-wise to CoC/BA (just for example)

Not really sure as I haven't looked at AA/FF in a while. I've been more or less obsessed with Bolt Action and to a lesser extent Squad Leader lately and my friend trying to drag me into the new edition of 40k.

chutche2
Jul 3, 2010

CUPOLA MY BALLS
Anyone play crossfire? There's a guy on YouTube I follow who plays it but I've never seen it in person.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Colonial Air Force posted:

I loved AA when it was its own thing, so I bought FoF. The rules are probably fine, but the book is so... I dunno, overdone? It makes it feel far more complex than I like.
There's an awful lot of space in the book dedicated to stuff you just won't ever use. poo poo like supply level and confidence is only really relevant in campaign games, and I have almost never had to deal with any of the civillian rules at all. It's basically the same game, but with with a whole book of house rules tacked on.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Aren't supply rolls affecting some of the shooting rolls, anyways?

Cassa
Jan 29, 2009

Pac-Manioc Root posted:

The Bolt Action Sea Lion campaign sign up site is up.

http://campaign.boltaction.com/

:getin:

The attacker/defender bennies seem way tilted for casual play, fukkin 40% more points and an extra tank and poo poo for defenders in some territories but w/e should still be fun.

E Company 506th PTR 101st abn div is ready to airdrop into Occupied Great Britain and liberate our allies. :911:

Hellllllll yeah global campaign.

Won't the bonuses change and modify as more territories are taken over?

Edit: CoC question; how do I tell what MG's an armoured vehicle should have, like a Stug III for example?

Cassa fucked around with this message at 08:22 on Jul 19, 2017

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

Cassa posted:

Edit: CoC question; how do I tell what MG's an armoured vehicle should have, like a Stug III for example?

All MGs fired from inside the vehicle roll six dice with no modifiers. MGs fired from the roof are top-mounted MMGs and roll 10 dice.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

JcDent posted:

Aren't supply rolls affecting some of the shooting rolls, anyways?
Nearly everything boils down to "just go up/down a die type" TBH, and the stuff that doesn't is just +1 or -1 die in the roll. Depending on how stuff shakes out that might not even matter. It's easily possible to slowroll and end up with an insurgent unit that's always rolling 10 attack dice no matter what, just by merging a couple of smaller units with one support weapon between them.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Cassa posted:

Hellllllll yeah global campaign.

Won't the bonuses change and modify as more territories are taken over?

Maybe but it seems to win and take over in the first place with that sort of Handicap.

Huh I just realized Sea Lion is alt 1940 so technically the US isn't in the war yet. Would an invasion of Britain proper have dragged us in?

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Pac-Manioc Root posted:

Maybe but it seems to win and take over in the first place with that sort of Handicap.

Huh I just realized Sea Lion is alt 1940 so technically the US isn't in the war yet. Would an invasion of Britain proper have dragged us in?

A successful invasion (which, as we all know, was basically impossible) would have been a fait accompli. A few weeks of Blitzkrieg and you're in a situation where the US would have to launch a D-Day assault across the Atlantic rather than the English Channel, which doesn't exactly sound like a winner. Britain isn't exactly a large country, after all.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Heck, the as long as the whole thing is hugely ahistorical-- if we need to balance the numbers at the FLGS, I could always say the Business Plot was successful back in the day and I was just joining the baddies for the big win. :black101:

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
"Lend-lease equipped Home Guard in response to enemy buildup on Atlantic coast" aaaaand you're done.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug
If you're going ahistorical, might as well go for broke. Have the USSR join the war and send Britain tanks, T-26es fighting Tauchpanzers on the shores of England would be pretty rad.

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Ensign Expendable posted:

If you're going ahistorical, might as well go for broke. Have the USSR join the war and send Britain tanks, T-26es fighting Tauchpanzers on the shores of England would be pretty rad.

Cliffs of Dover wargame terrain plz

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

Phi230 posted:

Cliffs of Dover wargame terrain plz

hi it's me, the side of your washing machine

Cassa
Jan 29, 2009

Geisladisk posted:

All MGs fired from inside the vehicle roll six dice with no modifiers. MGs fired from the roof are top-mounted MMGs and roll 10 dice.

Cool, so just go off the model essentially?

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

One more to go and I'll have finished the whole box.

Of course I'll need eight for Sharp Practice :shepface:

Fish and Chimps
Feb 16, 2012

mmmfff
Fun Shoe

Endman posted:

They look great. Always a pleasure to see more Napoleonics

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

Cassa posted:

Cool, so just go off the model essentially?

Well, it's a bit more complex than that, because the MGs are fired by ordering whoever is manning them to do so by the tank commander.

The platonic "tank" in COC has the standard five man layout - Commander, turret gunner, loader, hull machine gunner, and driver. Most of the tanks in the second world war follow this layout, and this is the layout that the rules assume. Tanks that deviate from this (e.g STUG) will note this in the vehicle army list entry. For example, the STUG entry states "No hull MG". COC also lacks rules for certain edge cases, such as the STUG's roof MG, which is operated by the loader. We just houseruled it such that the commander can order the loader to fire the MG, but the cannon cannot be fired in the same phase.

The Consolidated Arsenal is a community project to rework inaccurate stats, and to add stats for vehicles that COC lacks rules for. It lists the MGs on each vehicle in a more coherent manner.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.

Endman posted:

You paint them one at a time?

Looks great, though.

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

I bought Napoleon Total War on a Steam sale and played it the last couple of days. Jesus gently caress I never realized just how brutal this period of warfare was.

"Go stand over there, in a line, in the open, and shoot these other guys less than a hundred meters away. Try not to flinch every time the other side fires a volley, and try not to think about how the only thing controlling your personal survival is random chance. Do that until one of you can't stand it anymore and runs away. That was actually the least bad part. There are also cannons shooting clouds of scrap metal at you, and you will probably get charged from behind by cavalry at some point.

Oh also there are no antibiotics or anesthesia, and battlefield medicine is just a bunch of drunks with knives."

At least they got fancy hats.

Geisladisk fucked around with this message at 13:35 on Jul 20, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fish and Chimps
Feb 16, 2012

mmmfff
Fun Shoe

Geisladisk posted:

The Consolidated Arsenal is a community project to rework inaccurate stats, and to add stats for vehicles that COC lacks rules for. It lists the MGs on each vehicle in a more coherent manner.

Shermans still have the Ronson special rule!
:arghfist::mad:

Edit:

Geisladisk posted:

At least they got fancy hats.
Truly a thing we would all risk our lives for

Fish and Chimps fucked around with this message at 13:44 on Jul 20, 2017