Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dr_ether
May 31, 2013

So some finished work. Started yesterday and finished tonight.

Deathrattle Skeletons and Wight King for Age of Sigmar Skirmish.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo
This guy was super fun. What flavor of GW texture paint would you guys suggest for the base?

Sharkman
Dec 7, 2007
Putting together a mini for an elf rogue I'm playing in a friend's game:

Imgur Gallery

Having fun with it so far.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

mango sentinel posted:

This guy was super fun. What flavor of GW texture paint would you guys suggest for the base?

What kinda terrain base are you going for?

Nurgle I would go for either toxic slime or swamp goo.

For toxic slime you could paint the base bright green and then use martian ironearth to create a cracking cover, like lava but green:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uH5C6_TxPr8&t=361s

For swamp goo I'd try to get some fake water stuff and then dirty it up, and then add some bushes using tufts.

But you could do grasslands, desert, badlands, whatever.

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

Zaphod42 posted:

Nurgle I would go for either toxic slime or swamp goo.

For toxic slime you could paint the base bright green and then use martian ironearth to create a cracking cover, like lava but green:
Ooh I really like this idea.
Working with fake water is maybe a little beyond my ken currently but the crackle sounds fun.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

mango sentinel posted:

Working with fake water is maybe a little beyond my ken currently but the crackle sounds fun.

I love the crackle although the way Duncan layers the paint on top of the ironearth looks crazy time intensive for basing... maybe vary it up a bit and some bases you only have a bit of it cracking or something?

But yeah, paint the base like bright green, a little yellow, and a tiny bit white, and then add some cracking ironearth on top. Maybe just leave it brown on green... should be ace.

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Does that mean I don't get the job?

mango sentinel posted:

Another way for toxic sludge is to find some triple thick gloss and tint it with some bright green paint (a drop or two will do ya). It does take a crazy amount of time to dry, though--we're talking 24-48 hours, minimum, before you can even think of touching it.

You could also go with some 5-minute epoxy, using the same tinting method mentioned above. That stuff dries super quick so you have to work quickly, but it's fairly inexpensive so you can always experiment and get some practice first before committing it to a model.

Squibsy
Dec 3, 2005

Not suited, just booted.
College Slice

mango sentinel posted:

Awesome Nurgle bro. I've bought the First Strike (?) box with the handful of Reivers, Plague Marines, and Poxwalkers. Want to paint up the Nurgle boiz first.

Been thinking that a filthy, corroded yellow for the base armour colour would be cool. Anyone got any recommendations for yellow primer? I have a tiny bit of Army Painter Demon Yellow left but I was never that into the texture of it.

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

My Forge Fathers army:

Poorfag Brokkr Squads, a few arm/head swaps:

Steel Warrior Squads. I used white helmets to denote veterancy/leadership:

Stormrage Veterans, converted one of the melta cannons on the running guy. I went with a red theme to indicate heavy weapons, and the white stripe to show a leader.

The richest cocks on the block, the Forge Guard - all white because they're old AF.

Filthy rich "Doomstorm" Iron Ancestor

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

mango sentinel posted:

Big arc of LED strip aside, what desk lamps does everyone use? In the market for something inexpensive.

If you're in the US, I picked up one of these: https://www.harborfreight.com/fluorescent-magnifying-lamp-60643.html

It's adjustable, bright, and, though I rarely use it, has a magnifying lens. With a good coupon, you can pick it up for around $25.

Beerdeer
Apr 25, 2006

Frank Herbert's Dude
I'm looking for a hooded space marine head, like the Dark Angels use if anyone has one to spare.

big_g
Sep 24, 2004

Our young men will have to shoot down their young men at the rate of four to one, if we're to keep pace at all.
I just finished off some models from the latest Raging Heroes kickstarter. I know people here hate female pin up styled models and I usually do to but I quite like this space nun sharp shooter vibe.

These are the character types and I'm going to be doing some armoured troops next so a lot less pin up vibe.

I'm going to take some better photos with lighting set up soon.

Zuul the Cat
Dec 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer

big_g posted:

I just finished off some models from the latest Raging Heroes kickstarter. I know people here hate female pin up styled models and I usually do to but I quite like this space nun sharp shooter vibe.

These are the character types and I'm going to be doing some armoured troops next so a lot less pin up vibe.

I'm usually not a fan of the female models at all because they're ridiculous, but these are pretty cool.

Miles O'Brian
May 22, 2006

All we have to lose is our chains
Way late to this party but I had a good experience with my finecast Orc Great Shaman so I bought some Wracks as I like the sculpts better than the plastics, they have more character. After a few hours of scraping, hole filling and pinning snapped pieces back on, I threw them in the bin.

Should have known that going from a a stocky resin Orc to a set of spindly elves was probably not going to go well. Never buying anything except plastic again.

JackMann
Aug 11, 2010

Secure. Contain. Protect.
Fallen Rib

Beerdeer posted:

I'm looking for a hooded space marine head, like the Dark Angels use if anyone has one to spare.

These might help.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

So I'm doing this color scheme for the GREAT GOON CHAPTER CHALLENGE and I'd like some suggestions on which paints would work best for it. I'm thinking Vallejo Model Air for the base; any other suggestions or guides?

darnon
Nov 8, 2009
P3 Sanguine Highlight (there's also a slightly darker version in Sanguine Base) or Reaper Violet Red.

Here's some of the P3 offering and IIRC I used Vallejo Game Color Warlord Purple for highlighting:

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

So I'm doing this color scheme for the GREAT GOON CHAPTER CHALLENGE and I'd like some suggestions on which paints would work best for it. I'm thinking Vallejo Model Air for the base; any other suggestions or guides?

Citadel Screamer Pink is the perfect shade for the base coat. Pink Horror and Emperor's Children compliment it as highlights.

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

All I wanna do is make you bounce
Does anyone have any experience with this stuff? Saw it in another thread and am sorely tempted but the company website is... lacking in good information.

VolatileSky
May 5, 2007
i'm gay thx

big_g posted:

Those look great. I think I ordered the "plainer" looking ones, glad to see they don't look like hell though as I haven't received anything but the free stuff so far.

To get around my inability to paint decent skin tones, I was thinking of giving them a body suit that would be the colour the rest of the army is painted in. Are there any tutorials on how to paint skintone like that?

Kabuki Shipoopi
Jun 22, 2007

If I fall, you don't get the head, right? If you lose the head, you're fucked!

PantsOptional posted:

Does anyone have any experience with this stuff? Saw it in another thread and am sorely tempted but the company website is... lacking in good information.

Some guys at a hobby shop I frequent swear by Spaz Stix paint for those effects.

Maybe there are some decent tutorials on spaz stix instead?

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~
Has anyone used the Army Painter Dragon Red bottle and spray paints? Unfortunately the GW Khorne Red spray is OOP and I wanna lay down some basecoats quickly, but I've had very hit or miss experiences with Army Painter's bottle paints in the past.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

SRM posted:

Has anyone used the Army Painter Dragon Red bottle and spray paints? Unfortunately the GW Khorne Red spray is OOP and I wanna lay down some basecoats quickly, but I've had very hit or miss experiences with Army Painter's bottle paints in the past.

My experience with Army Painter's sprays is that they're fantastic.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

I've had good luck with the sprays, but the bottle paints are where I usually have issues. I'm wondering about those.

Pendent
Nov 16, 2011

The bonds of blood transcend all others.
But no blood runs stronger than that of Sanguinius
Grimey Drawer

SRM posted:

I used the dragon red for my Blood Angels for a while. I ended up stopping because I wasn't a huge fan of the finish and I was having a hard time building up the red I normally like, but it seemed basically fine.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

SRM posted:

I'd just go with Mephiston Red spray and then paint a layer of Khorne Red on top. Its close enough you won't need to do like 5 layers like you would over black primer.

But everybody says good things about Army Painter anyways

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Shadin
Jun 28, 2009

SRM posted:

I've had good luck with the sprays, but the bottle paints are where I usually have issues. I'm wondering about those.

I’ve got almost a complete set of Army Painter and I really like it. Specifically I’ve been using Dragon Red as the base for Space Hulk terminators and it’s worked well. Takes another layer or two though compared to Citadel Base paints since Army Painter is thinner.

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

SRM posted:

I used Dragon Red bottle paint as the base for my BA Termies a while back, and Dragon Red spray on my Morkanaut. Both turned out pretty well. I'd say the paint is a little thinner on pigment than what I'd like but that basically just means using an extra coat when thinned further.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Do the head and the shoulder pads as sub-assemblies so that you are not trying to paint white over purple. Other than that? I don't know, as I rarely paint purples.

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005
I have made a spreadsheet of all my Vallejo paints, dropped agitators in them and ordered a laboratory vortex mixer. :pcgaming:

dexefiend
Apr 25, 2003

THE GOGGLES DO NOTHING!
Spreadsheet?

Get the PaintRack app for android!

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005

dexefiend posted:

Spreadsheet?

Get the PaintRack app for android!

I didn't even think to look for an app. I assumed I was being a massive goony idiot by listing them all. I've picked up multiples of the wrong paints so many times.

Bistromatic
Oct 3, 2004

And turn the inner eye
To see its path...

TTerrible posted:

I have made a spreadsheet of all my Vallejo paints, dropped agitators in them and ordered a laboratory vortex mixer. :pcgaming:

I sometimes scour ebay for vortexers but i havent yet found one for a price i can justify to myself.

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005

Bistromatic posted:

I sometimes scour ebay for vortexers but i havent yet found one for a price i can justify to myself.

I saw one for £50 including delivery and had a gently caress it moment. I'm so done shaking the hell out of paint.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
Will it accommodate citadel pots?

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005

Lovely Joe Stalin posted:

Will it accommodate citadel pots?

The little rubber mount on the top is shaped to accept the bottom of a test tube. It looks like vallejo droppers will slot in fine, not sure if a citadel one will. Probably doesn't matter, hold it down for a few seconds enough to transmit the vibration.

Behold:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WdH8t2dBL4o&t=43s

:allears:

TTerrible fucked around with this message at 12:53 on Jul 18, 2017

bonds0097
Oct 23, 2010

I would cry but I don't think I can spare the moisture.
Pillbug

TTerrible posted:

The little rubber mount on the top is shaped to accept the bottom of a test tube. It looks like vallejo droppers will slot in fine, not sure if a citadel one will. Probably doesn't matter, hold it down for a few seconds enough to transmit the vibration.

Behold:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WdH8t2dBL4o&t=43s

:allears:

I need this in my life.

EDIT: And purchased. So cool that this dude refurbishes the industrial mixers for this, it's such a cool secondary market that reduces waste.

bonds0097 fucked around with this message at 13:09 on Jul 18, 2017

peonic
Jun 14, 2006
SysAdmin of the Apocalypse

Bistromatic posted:

Jigsaw!

Remove blade, hold paint bottle against blade retention block thing, pull trigger......

Ghetto as gently caress, but shakes even my early batch Scale 75 paints really well.

bonds0097
Oct 23, 2010

I would cry but I don't think I can spare the moisture.
Pillbug

peonic posted:

Jigsaw!

Remove blade, hold paint bottle against blade retention block thing, pull trigger......

Ghetto as gently caress, but shakes even my early batch Scale 75 paints really well.

Scale paints are so loving thick, it will be a blessing to not shake by hand. I have one of the robart shakers but have been less than impressed with it. And I hurt my shoulder recently so shaking paints is actually more of a chore than usual.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Sex Cannon
Nov 22, 2004

Eh. I'm pretty content with my current logo.
Another Primaris Lieutenant: