Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Matt Murray is a drat good goalie - I almost took him with my last pick. The only thing is while I'm convinced an awful goalie can tank a good team, I'm not convinced an average to above-average goalie really makes a difference in overall team success in the same way a guy like Price or younger Lundqvist would.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stab
Feb 12, 2003

To you from failing hands we throw the torch, be yours to hold it high

Jordan7hm posted:

It's maybe a tiny bit early for him, but Ginette has two picks before I go again and took him in the fourth round last year. I'm taking Matt Murray.

Good call, he wasnt getting past me.

Edit: lol just saw the name change in the 2017 op post gj haha

stab fucked around with this message at 23:32 on Jul 17, 2017

corn on the cop
Oct 12, 2012

Break what must be broken, once for all, that's all, and take the suffering on oneself.

― Corey Dostoyevsky
Furnaceface can't pick until later on. I'm a dumbass who can't read and actually Ginette Reno is eligible to select at 7:35 PM EST.

corn on the cop fucked around with this message at 23:43 on Jul 17, 2017

t a s t e
Sep 6, 2010

Might you mean Ginette?

corn on the cop
Oct 12, 2012

Break what must be broken, once for all, that's all, and take the suffering on oneself.

― Corey Dostoyevsky
thank you

Kilza
Oct 4, 2013

Ginette Reno is up until 9:35 PM EST, followed by Jonathan Fisk and JoelJoel.

Technetium
Oct 26, 2006

TRILOBITE TECHNICIAN
QUITE POSSIBLY GAY

I thought about Matt Murray over Arvidsson but I love Arvy.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
Alright. His declining point totals are concerning but he's still one of the most talented players in the league and an ace on the powerplay. I'll take Claude Giroux.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Ginette Reno posted:

Alright. His declining point totals are concerning but he's still one of the most talented players in the league and an ace on the powerplay. I'll take Claude Giroux.

I was wondering when he would go. I find we suffer from serious recency bias during these things.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Jordan7hm posted:

I was wondering when he would go. I find we suffer from serious recency bias during these things.

He's not exactly young so I might have just hosed up but I feel like he's better than a 58 point player. We'll see I guess.

t a s t e
Sep 6, 2010

I gave QQ a list but I'm departing from it, one sec.

gently caress it, Mike Hoffman

Joel is up

t a s t e fucked around with this message at 01:57 on Jul 18, 2017

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Ginette Reno posted:

He's not exactly young so I might have just hosed up but I feel like he's better than a 58 point player. We'll see I guess.

He's had some really bad luck (personal shooting %. never that high, keeps getting worse, and so does his on ice sh %) but it's been three years in a row. Guy seems like he'd maybe appreciate a shakeup.

Technetium
Oct 26, 2006

TRILOBITE TECHNICIAN
QUITE POSSIBLY GAY

Jordan7hm posted:

I mean he's 29, has 5 more years at 8,275,000 with a full NMC and has seen startling point drops the past 4 years year over year. And it's not just his shooting his primary assist totals have been falling at an even more alarming rate. He used to be one of the very best in the league at setting people up but not so much anymore. For what it's worth he still seems fine at driving play so that's a decent sign. His decline sure seems to be coming fast and hard though.

stab
Feb 12, 2003

Ginette Reno posted:

Welp there goes my pick

Nobody draft any dmen or goalies until my pick thx

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Technetium posted:

I mean he's 29, has 5 more years at 8,275,000 with a full NMC and has seen startling point drops the past 4 years year over year. And it's not just his shooting his primary assist totals have been falling at an even more alarming rate. He used to be one of the very best in the league at setting people up but not so much anymore. For what it's worth he still seems fine at driving play so that's a decent sign. His decline sure seems to be coming fast and hard though.

Philly has sucked poo poo for the past few years which I'm sure doesn't help.

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Amazing pick incoming. Good pick. The best pick.

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

Gimme Bob.

e:

:siren:TOP COP OFFICER SERGEI BOBROVSKY, COME ON DOWN!:siren:

e2: I might do a write up later but he's the PBA right now by a mile and better than at least two goalies already selected (and like 20+ skaters selected).

Cocaine Bear fucked around with this message at 02:44 on Jul 18, 2017

stab
Feb 12, 2003

JoelJoel posted:

Gimme Bob.

e:

TOP COP OFFICER SERGEI BOBROVSKY, COME ON DOWN!

stab posted:

Welp there goes my pick

Nobody draft any dmen or goalies until my pick thx

YOU DIDNT LISTEN.

goddammit youre off the force

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

I was pretty torn between Giroux and Kopitar (since Giroux's contract is shorter and cheaper and he still does a better job putting up the points).
That said I think he's probably the last unpicked unequivocal 1C (save the ancient, bearded one) so if you haven't got one by now you're pretty much a "building for the future" sort of team

corn on the cop
Oct 12, 2012

― Corey Dostoyevsky

Furnaceface posted:

Amazing pick incoming. Good pick. The best pick.

This fanfare had better drat be worth it

Yaya
Nov 14, 2012

vancloober cablucks
GImme Jake Muzzin. He has some of the better fancy numbers in the league and there's an argument to be made that he's the driving force in the Doughty/Muzzin pairing.

Kilza
Oct 4, 2013

lazerwolf is up and has until 11:49 AM EST tomorrow. Wow!

Habibi and eXXon follow him. PM your picks to somebody if necessary.

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

They say a picture is worth a thousand words.

That should be worth a good 666 "gently caress Corey Perry"'s.

The Rangers take Corey Perry.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Goddamn Perry is 32? When did that happen?

Also probably a good call - he was 4% off his career shooting percentage last season so unless he is imploding he's probably good for another year or two of hitting 30

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Yeah I think last season was kind of an anomaly for him, so even accounting for age he is still probably going to be a pretty consistent 50+ points for awhile yet.

Dude still has the most punchable face in the NHL though.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

Also probably a good call - he was 4% off his career shooting percentage last season so unless he is imploding he's probably good for another year or two of hitting 30

He skates like he's 38

corn on the cop
Oct 12, 2012

― Corey Dostoyevsky

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

Zach Parise turns 33 in two weeks

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

You cant stop The Sathering!TM

Ergo Propter Hog
Jul 21, 2014

JoelJoel posted:

e2: I might do a write up later but he's the PBA right now by a mile and better than at least two goalies already selected (and like 20+ skaters selected).

this definitely deserves a write up

Boomer The Cannon
Oct 27, 2011

Gotta see it live!

Technetium posted:

gently caress him up, Socrates.

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

Vincent Van Goat posted:

this definitely deserves a write up

He's better than hank and probably better than Murray as a known quantity. I'm not trying to knock Murray but he's still young enough to go either way.

Fight me.

E- price is better (when not broken). Murray is close. Holtby as good maybe a bit better, but sucks in the playoffs. If I had to I'd rank em: Price, Holtby/Bob, then Murray. There's another in there I'd be tempted to take after Bob and before Murray but rules and all.

Cocaine Bear fucked around with this message at 03:36 on Jul 18, 2017

Kilza
Oct 4, 2013

JoelJoel posted:

He's better than hank and probably better than Murray as a known quantity. I'm not trying to knock Murray but he's still young enough to go either way.

Fight me.

E- price is better (when not broken). Murray is close. Holtby as good maybe a bit better, but sucks in the playoffs. If I had to I'd rank em: Price, Holtby/Bob, then Murray. There's another in there I'd be tempted to take after Bob and before Murray but rules and all.

Braden Holtby, career playoffs: 29-30, 2.01 GAA, 0.930 Sv%, 4 SO
Sergei Bobrovsky, career playoffs: 3-10, 3.63 GAA, 0.887 Sv%, 0 SO

:thunk:

Technetium
Oct 26, 2006

TRILOBITE TECHNICIAN
QUITE POSSIBLY GAY

Boomer The Cannon posted:

gently caress him up, Socrates.

Just like Socrates I smell bad and am losing hair

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

Kilza posted:

Braden Holtby, career playoffs: 29-30, 2.01 GAA, 0.930 Sv%, 4 SO
Sergei Bobrovsky, career playoffs: 3-10, 3.63 GAA, 0.887 Sv%, 0 SO

:thunk:

Lol, yeah, I struck that out the second I posted it. Sample size and all, but, yeah recent events tainted my opinion and I was wrong.

lazerwolf
Dec 22, 2009

Orange and Black
Minnesota Wild can't decide between Panarin and Saad so let's get both!

Minnesota Wild select Brandon Saad

corn on the cop
Oct 12, 2012

― Corey Dostoyevsky
Habibi up until 12:00 PM EST.

eXXon on deck.

Verviticus in the hole.

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

We have the capability to make San Jose's first Cup Champion.

The Sharks could be that Champion.
Ah, gently caress, I dunno. Give me Logan Couture.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Habibi posted:

Kinda forgot he was still there. That's a good pick.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

I'm going to take Jonathan Huberdeau because notwithstanding his injury-plagued season, he scores at an impressive rate and is signed to a reasonable contract and I haven't picked him in a previous draft.

Habibi posted:

I was going to take him what with the 30 playoff points a year ago but funny enough that only got him up to #83 overall last year.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kilza
Oct 4, 2013

Verviticus has until 1:42 PM EST.

Iodized QQ and stab conclude round 3 and start round 4. Everybody remaining sucks at this point so you don't have to worry about making good selections with your picks any more.

Kilza fucked around with this message at 18:26 on Jul 18, 2017

• Locked thread