Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

I was induced for the same thing? The heartbeat was stressed and so they did a visual scan and saw the placenta was starting to break down. Babbycakes was born fine but a few days early. I would take their recommendation seriously.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KasioDiscoRock
Nov 17, 2000

Are you alive?

Comstar posted:

Wife is at 36 weeks and they want to do a caesarean a week early (was planned for 38) because the placenta is "tired". The baby stopped growing because it's not passing enough of something through? Can someone explain that too me?

Like peanut said, it's my understanding that the placenta just isn't doing it's job properly anymore. It's the same reason they generally won't let women go past 42 weeks, and once they hit the 40 week mark, they do extra ultrasounds to make sure the placenta is still functioning well enough to keep going. It's only meant to last so long, it's not a permanent organ, and sometimes they just stop working a bit earlier than they're supposed to for one reason or another. And without it, baby has no way to get nourishment or oxygen in the womb, so out into the world it is!
If they were already going to induce at 38 weeks, I'm guessing there's a medical reason behind that decision, which may or may not be a factor in the placenta function as well.

superbelch
Dec 9, 2003
Making baby jesus cry since 1984.

Comstar posted:

Wife is at 36 weeks and they want to do a caesarean a week early (was planned for 38) because the placenta is "tired". The baby stopped growing because it's not passing enough of something through? Can someone explain that too me?

When a baby measures smaller than expected (usually we use the cutoff as less than the 10th%ile, or smaller than 90% of babies at that gestational age to determine this and call it growth restriction), it is generally either (1) due to the baby just being constitutionally small (like some humans are just shorter/smaller than others), or (2) due to the fact that there is more resistance to flow in the placenta than there should be (placental insufficiency), meaning that it's harder for the baby to get as much oxygen and nutrients than it should be. When we find a growth restricted baby, we monitor closely, because if the growth restriction is due to (2), the baby is at a higher risk for problems, including distress and stillbirth. We use different findings on ultrasound to help determine whether the growth restriction is due to placental insufficiency, like checking the speed of blood flow through the cord (umbilical cord dopplers - this gives us an estimate of the resistance of the placenta to flow), and track growth over time, since if a baby that was measuring normally earlier falls off the growth curve, that can be a sign that there is placental insufficiency. We will also generally monitor babies closely with nonstress tests (checking the heartbeat for 20-40 minutes) and in addition to the umbilical cord dopplers check the amount of amniotic fluid, since low fluid can be a marker for distress.

Please feel free to PM with questions.

femcastra
Apr 25, 2008

If you want him,
come and knit him!
I had my 7 week dating ultrasound today and saw the little heartbeat. Pretty amazing to see it become a little less abstract.

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?

superbelch posted:

When a baby measures smaller than expected (usually we use the cutoff as less than the 10th%ile, or smaller than 90% of babies at that gestational age to determine this and call it growth restriction), it is generally either (1) due to the baby just being constitutionally small (like some humans are just shorter/smaller than others), or (2) due to the fact that there is more resistance to flow in the placenta than there should be (placental insufficiency), meaning that it's harder for the baby to get as much oxygen and nutrients than it should be. When we find a growth restricted baby, we monitor closely, because if the growth restriction is due to (2), the baby is at a higher risk for problems, including distress and stillbirth. We use different findings on ultrasound to help determine whether the growth restriction is due to placental insufficiency, like checking the speed of blood flow through the cord (umbilical cord dopplers - this gives us an estimate of the resistance of the placenta to flow), and track growth over time, since if a baby that was measuring normally earlier falls off the growth curve, that can be a sign that there is placental insufficiency. We will also generally monitor babies closely with nonstress tests (checking the heartbeat for 20-40 minutes) and in addition to the umbilical cord dopplers check the amount of amniotic fluid, since low fluid can be a marker for distress.

Please feel free to PM with questions.

Thanks for that! Follow up question (I know you said PM, but this thread seems more useful for everyone): Why wait a week if you know there's an issue now?

superbelch
Dec 9, 2003
Making baby jesus cry since 1984.

Comstar posted:

Thanks for that! Follow up question (I know you said PM, but this thread seems more useful for everyone): Why wait a week if you know there's an issue now?

If it was a severe issue (if there is reversal of blood flow through the umbilical cord between heartbeats, or no fluid), then they would have delivered now. Assuming no severe signs of distress, we'll deliver growth restricted babies between 37-39 weeks (39 weeks would be more likely for a baby who's close to 10th%ile and has a steady curve, 37 if baby is less than the 5th%ile and/or has dropped off the growth curve). The reason to wait until 37 weeks is to give their lungs a chance to mature, since the biggest risk for preterm babies is respiratory distress. However, if we see something very dangerous (like the reversal of flow), we deliver earlier since the risk of staying pregnant outweighs the benefits of staying pregnant.

KasioDiscoRock
Nov 17, 2000

Are you alive?

femcastra posted:

I had my 7 week dating ultrasound today and saw the little heartbeat. Pretty amazing to see it become a little less abstract.

After baby is born it's also pretty amazing to remember being in those ultrasounds and realizing it's the little one in your arms who was actually with you way back then. Like all of those memories from being pregnant are suddenly a specific person instead of a generic unknown baby.

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

After deciding to start trying like 2 weeks ago, my wife peed on a stick today and found out that we're pregnant!

I have NO IDEA how to feel right now, but I think I feel pretty good; a little more quickly than anticipated, but still a good thing!

cailleask
May 6, 2007

Mastitis follow up: I got the clog out myself and didn't need antibiotics. My fever took a day or so afterwards to go away and it was sore and red for maybe a day or two after that. All better now!

Roulette
Sep 17, 2006

femcastra posted:

Aw I was just organizing all my ultrasound photos chronologically the other day and I can't believe what a difference it was from week 7ish to 13ish. They start to look like a baby quickly! Tiny blob to actually seeing all the limbs and skull and oh man it's so crazy and awesome! :3:

Spadoink
Oct 10, 2005

Tea, earl grey, hot.

College Slice

Roulette posted:

Aw I was just organizing all my ultrasound photos chronologically the other day and I can't believe what a difference it was from week 7ish to 13ish. They start to look like a baby quickly! Tiny blob to actually seeing all the limbs and skull and oh man it's so crazy and awesome! :3:

And *poof* I just had a 36 week positional ultrasound and she's so big we can't see much at a time. The tech was trying to take a 'nice' ultrasound photo of her face but it was a fine line between :skeltal: and baby face depending on how hard the tech was pushing the transducer.

54 40 or fuck
Jan 4, 2012

No Yanda's allowed
And now he's 13 weeks old just like that! Oh the feeling seeing that little blueberry on the screen

extravadanza
Oct 19, 2007
My work needs somebody to travel halfway around the world (15 hr flight) July 22-30. My wife is due Sept 3rd. Is that too close to the due date to be that far away? My gut feeling says that we are getting too close to the due date for me to be traveling so far. I can say no and they would send somebody else, but I'm not sure if there is general feeling about at which week in the pregnancy the husband shouldn't travel.

pidan
Nov 6, 2012

extravadanza posted:

My work needs somebody to travel halfway around the world (15 hr flight) July 22-30. My wife is due Sept 3rd. Is that too close to the due date to be that far away? My gut feeling says that we are getting too close to the due date for me to be traveling so far. I can say no and they would send somebody else, but I'm not sure if there is general feeling about at which week in the pregnancy the husband shouldn't travel.

Have you talked to your wife about this? It's unlikely that anything bad will happen a month before the due date, so you'll probably not hurt your wife by doing this. Many women go through a whole pregnancy alone so it's not impossible.
Some people will criticize you for leaving your pregnant wife alone when they find out. If you want to go, I'd just ask your wife how she feels about that. And then do what she wants.

JustAurora
Apr 17, 2007

Nature vs. Nurture, man!
Agree with ask your wife. Have a back up person who can be available in case something happens. It's unusual to go a month early. But I did. And it was scary (because the baby is basically guaranteed to spend at least a couple days in special care if they are born 36 weeks or earlier).

femcastra
Apr 25, 2008

If you want him,
come and knit him!
So I'm now 8 weeks and can no longer fit into my pants, so I've had to buy maternity jeans. My belly's not huge, but it's definitely too big to zip up my jeans now. I was really surprised by how early this happened. First baby.

kbdragon
Jun 23, 2012

femcastra posted:

So I'm now 8 weeks and can no longer fit into my pants, so I've had to buy maternity jeans. My belly's not huge, but it's definitely too big to zip up my jeans now. I was really surprised by how early this happened. First baby.

If you get a belly band (wide circle of stretchy fabric) and, with the zipper down, loop a hair elastic through the buttonhole then over the button you can stay in your own pants for a few more weeks. Works postpartum too.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Check out Bella Bands and other open zipper concealers (good for recovery, too.)

^^^ lol yup :hfive:

cailleask
May 6, 2007

Hair tie around the button and looped through the hole kept me in my normal jeans until like 20 weeks (with a long tank or shirt or something).

TheBananaKing
Jul 16, 2004

Until you realize the importance of the banana king, you will know absolutely nothing about the human-interest things of the world.
Smellrose
At what age have your babbies wanted to start sleeping on their side? My little girl is 3 weeks tonight and she is suddenly much more restful laying to one side... She's a huge girl (born 9.5lbs) but there's no way she can roll back over yet. Should we be extra watchful or something?

KasioDiscoRock
Nov 17, 2000

Are you alive?

TheBananaKing posted:

At what age have your babbies wanted to start sleeping on their side? My little girl is 3 weeks tonight and she is suddenly much more restful laying to one side... She's a huge girl (born 9.5lbs) but there's no way she can roll back over yet. Should we be extra watchful or something?

My little guy is just under 3 weeks and he's been rolling onto his side since like day 3, especially when swaddled. My midwife says it's fine if he goes like that himself, just put him on his back to begin with. The only thing you need to watch for is once they're able to roll all the way to their tummy, then you need to keep their arms free from any swaddles so they can push their face off the mattress if they need to.

54 40 or fuck
Jan 4, 2012

No Yanda's allowed
Mine likes to fall asleep on his side for naps. He's almost always been a side sleeper

sheri
Dec 30, 2002

The AAP says to always put them on their back.

If they can get to their side or tummy by themselves after you put them down in their back, you don't have to change their position but you should be putting them down on the back, every time.

If they can't get to side or belly by themselves, do not put them into that position to sleep.

TheBananaKing
Jul 16, 2004

Until you realize the importance of the banana king, you will know absolutely nothing about the human-interest things of the world.
Smellrose
Oh I'm most certainly laying her down on her back. But about as soon as I turn around she's curling and pushing herself to one side.

Thanks for the shared wisdom!

lol internet.
Sep 4, 2007
the internet makes you stupid
Ughhh. So baby is about 28 inches, car seat max height is 30 inches.. only 6 months.

Can I switch her to a front facing car seat?

GoreJess
Aug 4, 2004

pretty in pink
No, no you may not.

You need a convertible seat that will stay rear facing until she's at least 2.

sheri
Dec 30, 2002

It's illegal in every state to switch a baby forward facing at 6 months. And incredibly unsafe.

It's against all recommendations to do it before two years.

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?
Thank you thread. Baby born on same birthday as mother. 2740 grams. 37 weeks 2 days c section. Baby breast fed. And is now sleeping.

Spadoink
Oct 10, 2005

Tea, earl grey, hot.

College Slice
Heading into the home stretch! Hopefully the baby isn't a procrastinator.

femcastra
Apr 25, 2008

If you want him,
come and knit him!
Good luck!!

54 40 or fuck
Jan 4, 2012

No Yanda's allowed

Spadoink posted:

Heading into the home stretch! Hopefully the baby isn't a procrastinator.

Labour vibes!!!

Roulette
Sep 17, 2006
I now understand the term "barefoot and pregnant" because no loving shoes are comfortable anymore. I finally broke down and just got some ugly but comfortable Skechers so I can at least wear something to work.

lol internet.
Sep 4, 2007
Baby is about 6 months and keeps sleeping on her stomach. Is this anything to be worried about?

sheri
Dec 30, 2002

Is she unswaddled? Are you putting her down on her back and she is rolling to her stomach on her own?

If both are yes, it's fine. Just keeping putting her down on her back and whatever position she gets herself in afterwards is fine.

lol internet.
Sep 4, 2007
Okay thanks

Nierbo
Dec 5, 2010

sup brah?
Why does a small dose of phenergen get rid of nausea in pregnant women?

e: oh, its actually on-label for that. I thought it was some super secret things that no one knew about. My bad.

Nierbo fucked around with this message at 04:05 on Aug 2, 2017

cailleask
May 6, 2007

Giant baby's perpetually gunky eye spontaneously resolved the other day! He just woke up and... no more clogged duct. Huh! He's almost three months old now, and huge. So huge. I feel robbed of my tiny newborn time!

femcastra
Apr 25, 2008

If you want him,
come and knit him!
I've been having bleeding this morning, not quite 12 weeks along. Have called in sick and will be going to the doctor.

We have a health hotline you can call to give you advice about whether a doctor or hospital is where you should go, and I was advised to go to the doctor but if the bleeding becomes heavier to go to the hospital.

I feel like it's probably going to be fine but that hasn't stopped me from being teary and shaky all morning.

54 40 or fuck
Jan 4, 2012

No Yanda's allowed
You're allowed to go to the hospital. That's scary and your feelings are valid. Though if you live somewhere without free healthcare that might not be an option. If you do or if you can afford to go, I say go.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

femcastra
Apr 25, 2008

If you want him,
come and knit him!
I've been to the doctor and she's given me a referral for an ultrasound, booked in to see them in about an hour and a half. I'm trying to stay optimistic until I know any different.

The doctor has given me a certificate for today and tomorrow and my husband has a carer's certificate for the same time.