Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

marshmonkey
Dec 5, 2003

I was sick of looking
at your stupid avatar
so
have a cool cat instead.

:v:
Switchblade Switcharoo
Those are gorgeous!

Tamron or Sigma? Any teleconverter?

That full frame swallow is just nuts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

neckbeard
Jan 25, 2004

Oh Bambi, I cried so hard when those hunters shot your mommy...
Tamron 150-600. Barn Swallows are pretty chill around people so you can usually get within 10 feet of them before they take off

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

neckbeard posted:

*bird pics*

If you're taking these with the tamron or sigma 150-600 you're getting really great results.

marshmonkey
Dec 5, 2003

I was sick of looking
at your stupid avatar
so
have a cool cat instead.

Switchblade Switcharoo
Some of my recent shots with my Coolpix P900, been doing research on upgrading to a Nikon D500 + Tamron, not ready to pull the trigger yet though...

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007

marshmonkey posted:

Some of my recent shots with my Coolpix P900, been doing research on upgrading to a Nikon D500 + Tamron, not ready to pull the trigger yet though...

Those are remarkably good shots for a point-and-shoot, very nice!

As someone who owns a D500 and both the Tamron (1st generation) and the Nikon 200-500mm I would strongly recommend considering the Nikon. I don't miss the small extra range and the extreme sharpness even at 500mm f/5.6 really helps when you're lacking enough light.

marshmonkey
Dec 5, 2003

I was sick of looking
at your stupid avatar
so
have a cool cat instead.

Switchblade Switcharoo

Kenshin posted:

Those are remarkably good shots for a point-and-shoot, very nice!

As someone who owns a D500 and both the Tamron (1st generation) and the Nikon 200-500mm I would strongly recommend considering the Nikon. I don't miss the small extra range and the extreme sharpness even at 500mm f/5.6 really helps when you're lacking enough light.

Yea? One of my main concerns was keeping as much reach as possible since I shoot at the full "2000mm" of the P900 the majority of the time and I don't want to feel like I'm going much shorter even though the optics / sensor will be better.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

marshmonkey posted:

Yea? One of my main concerns was keeping as much reach as possible since I shoot at the full "2000mm" of the P900 the majority of the time and I don't want to feel like I'm going much shorter even though the optics / sensor will be better.

You end up with more actual reach since you'll be able to crop down and have a sharper image than being unable to crop much because it's soft.

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007
That, and I've seen folks use the Nikon 1.4x converter with the D500 + 200-500 combo with very good results (at the same f-stop you'll use the Tamron at anyway). Obviously at this point we're just adding money on to the setup but that'll get you the best reach art the best quality unless you start moving up to $8000+ prime lenses.

marshmonkey
Dec 5, 2003

I was sick of looking
at your stupid avatar
so
have a cool cat instead.

Switchblade Switcharoo
One thing that was making me lean towards the Tamron besides the extra reach was that it was lighter, using a TC on top of the Nikkor would add even more weight to get to the same result. I'm not sure I'm going to go on many long hikes with a lens this big (might save my P900 for hiking) but I wonder how significant the weight difference would be in normal shooting since I would be hand holding 99% of the time.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

marshmonkey posted:

One thing that was making me lean towards the Tamron besides the extra reach was that it was lighter, using a TC on top of the Nikkor would add even more weight to get to the same result. I'm not sure I'm going to go on many long hikes with a lens this big (might save my P900 for hiking) but I wonder how significant the weight difference would be in normal shooting since I would be hand holding 99% of the time.

If you're stepping up to these lenses you have to completely remove weight as a consideration - it's just not rational.

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

It's all a matter of perspective...
Grimey Drawer
I've got the Tamron G1 (for Canon). While you can handhold it and have gotten some decent shots, I'm typically happier when it's on a tripod because of the weight and how much shake you get at 600mm. You may want to consider something even lighter, like whatever the equivalent of the Canon 100-400 is for Nikon. Or think about getting a tripod if you are primarily using it when you aren't hiking around as much.

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007
Do what I did and start lifting weights tbh. If you're going for lightness you will have to compromise on autofocus and image quality. You could get a good micro 4/3s and the Panasonic 100-400mm lens (200-800mm equivalent) if you're concerned about weight.

99%+ of my shots with these huge lenses are handheld and unless you're just shooting larger, less mobile birds you will have to do the same.

marshmonkey
Dec 5, 2003

I was sick of looking
at your stupid avatar
so
have a cool cat instead.

Switchblade Switcharoo
No pain, no gain.

neckbeard
Jan 25, 2004

My mother posted some photos on Facebook yesterday, not the greatest detailed as she just has a point and shoot, of the bald eagle nest by her place. The crazy thing is that in addition to a couple eagle chicks, they're raising a Red Tailed Hawk

http://www.grindtv.com/wildlife/far-good-darn-cute-baby-hawk-bald-eagle-nest-video/
http://victoriabuzz.com/2017/06/bald-eagle-adopts-orphan-red-tailed-hawk-chick-sidney-video/

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

I will be gone, but not forever.
After many years of looking, I finally got good looks at a Great Gray Owl for the first time since I was a preteen. I was given directions to a nest in southeastern Washington and hit it up on the way to Montana for a larger birding trip.

Great Gray Owl On Nest by Josh, on Flickr

Get off my tree! by Josh, on Flickr

Great Gray Owl Fledgling by Josh, on Flickr

Additional photo from the area.

House Wren by Josh, on Flickr

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Nice owls!

Just back from a great couple of days in the Sierra Nevadas. I was there for a weekend nature sound recording workshop (highly recommended- if anyone is interested I can give you the details). I was able to get my camera out a little though.

Carmen Valley Brewers Blackbird-1402 on Flickr

Yuba Pass Summit Evening Grosbeak-1469 on Flickr

Sierra Valley Cliff Swallows-1332 on Flickr

Sierra Valley Brewers Blackbird-1312 on Flickr

marshmonkey
Dec 5, 2003

I was sick of looking
at your stupid avatar
so
have a cool cat instead.

Switchblade Switcharoo
So I took the plunge and got a D500 and Tamron g2. :homebrew:
It's my first DSLR and I still have a lot to figure out, but I figured out enough to take it on a maiden voyage to a local reservoir. Schlepping it around the 4 mile hike was ok but my arms and shoulders are already sore. Have a monopod coming soon, curious to see how that setup feels.

*edit* few more

marshmonkey fucked around with this message at 07:23 on Jun 28, 2017

DorianGravy
Sep 12, 2007

I like these.

Some birds in LA:

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer

This is wild

DorianGravy
Sep 12, 2007

I think the flying crow was being attacked by a smaller bird shortly before it landed. It was flying pretty erratically. I didn't get any shots of that, but here are the two birds in the same frame:

Sauer
Sep 13, 2005

Socialize Everything!
It looks like it got its rear end kicked.

DorianGravy
Sep 12, 2007

I returned to the Ballona Creek Bike Path in LA for some more birding.

Black-necked stilts (adolescent?).

Snowy egret.

Is there a recommended "budget"-priced telephoto lens (say, sub-$300)? I'm using a 55-200mm lens with my Nikon d5100, and I find it difficult to capture the sort of wonderful detail that you all are getting.

Also, do any of you keep bird lists? I'm looking for a convenient way to keep note of the birds I've seen.

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib
There's nothing for under $300. Supertele starts at around $500 for something that cost $5000 40 years ago - manual focus, f/5.6 (f/4.5 for particular lucky finds specific to some manufacturers). Realistically, getting reach past 300mm means $1000 +

You might get lucky with an old 400mm f/5.6 plus a teleconverter. I think a combo like that might be had for $500.

Is there an old 300mm f/4 prime out there in Nixon mount?

\/\/\/ There ya go! Looks like that lens - manual focus, one-touch zoom & focus (this is a good thing, to me) - is available for under $150 including shipping. Get one of those.

ExecuDork fucked around with this message at 14:58 on Jul 6, 2017

Helen Highwater
Feb 19, 2014

And furthermore
Grimey Drawer
There's a Nikon 100-300 f/5.6 which is out of production now but readily available on your second hand gear site of choice. It won't be as good as a 400mm prime but it will poo poo all over your 55-200.

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Had a cooperative hummingbird in the yard yesterday.

Backyard Annas Hummingbird-1885 on Flickr

Backyard Annas Hummingbird-1762 on Flickr

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
Some pictures from last week:

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007

Zero One posted:

Some pictures from last week:

all of these are great but I love this one

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
Thanks. I love the way that one turned out too.

DorianGravy
Sep 12, 2007

Zero One posted:

Thanks. I love the way that one turned out too.

What kind of bird is it? It has enormous eyes. (I love it too.)

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
It's a Hamerkop!

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

That last bird! A literal :neckbeard:!

Those hummingbirds are gorgeous.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!

my cat is norris posted:

That last bird! A literal :neckbeard:!

Those hummingbirds are gorgeous.
A Sarus crane

quote:

Like other cranes, they form long-lasting pair-bonds and maintain territories within which they perform territorial and courtship displays that include loud trumpeting, leaps and dance-like movements. In India they are considered symbols of marital fidelity, believed to mate for life and pine the loss of their mates even to the point of starving to death.

marshmonkey
Dec 5, 2003

I was sick of looking
at your stupid avatar
so
have a cool cat instead.

Switchblade Switcharoo

I finally did it.

I would use a higher shutter speed next time.

marshmonkey
Dec 5, 2003

I was sick of looking
at your stupid avatar
so
have a cool cat instead.

Switchblade Switcharoo
Some non making GBS threads egrets:

https://500px.com/photo/219913565/great-heron-by-david-marsh

https://500px.com/photo/219913553/great-egret-by-david-marsh

https://500px.com/photo/219913551/great-heron-by-david-marsh

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...
I don't think Hummingbirds poo poo.

Hummingbird5 (those little claws) by B. B., on Flickr

Fart Amplifier
Apr 12, 2003

DSC_3101.jpg by Steven Sarginson, on Flickr

DSC_3121.jpg by Steven Sarginson, on Flickr

DSC_3069.jpg by Steven Sarginson, on Flickr

DSC_3074.jpg by Steven Sarginson, on Flickr

DSC_3094.jpg by Steven Sarginson, on Flickr

neckbeard
Jan 25, 2004

Common Redpoll by Tyler Huestis, on Flickr

I was going through old photos and found a bunch of Redpoll shots from last year that I forgot as I found a flock of Snow Buntings and a Snowy Owl later that day.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!

I like on 1, 3 and 4 the table is perfectly flat as to almost look like a bottom border. I would rotate the images slight so they are also perfectly horizontal.

neckbeard
Jan 25, 2004

processing some stuff from last year I never got around to

Mountain Bluebird by Tyler Huestis, on Flickr

Mountain Bluebird by Tyler Huestis, on Flickr

House Wren by Tyler Huestis, on Flickr

Bald Eagles by Tyler Huestis, on Flickr

Bald Eagles by Tyler Huestis, on Flickr

Bald Eagle by Tyler Huestis, on Flickr

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!