Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Irritated Goat
Mar 12, 2005

This post is pathetic.
Would a Raspberry Pi be a good replacement for some of the apps I run on my Synology? Most are basically web\file processing stuff like Sonarr and a torrent client. The actual storage would be on my NAS which would be on a Gigabit LAN with it.

I just want to offload the actual web stuff to something more stable since apps like to crash on my NAS for no reason and it adds an additional issue during troubleshooting to make sure it's a Synology issue vs just an actual program issue.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Irritated Goat posted:

Would a Raspberry Pi be a good replacement for ... torrent client.

Absolutely not. All the Pi can handle is USB 2.0 to connect all drive storage, network access, etc. If you have any sort of modern connection, it will be a severe bottleneck.

Irritated Goat
Mar 12, 2005

This post is pathetic.

fishmech posted:

Absolutely not. All the Pi can handle is USB 2.0 to connect all drive storage, network access, etc. If you have any sort of modern connection, it will be a severe bottleneck.

It wouldn't be doing actual torrent work. All I'd need it to do is the web UI display for that. The other stuff is all Python\Mono based.

Edit: Honestly, the Mono\Python stuff is all that really matters. I'd even leave the Torrent web interface stuff on the NAS.

Irritated Goat fucked around with this message at 19:53 on Jul 3, 2017

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
A pi is completely fine for torrenting. Set up rtorrent in tmux

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

xtal posted:

A pi is completely fine for torrenting. Set up rtorrent in tmux

Not if you have a modern connection. It only comes with a 10/100 ethernet connection which will top out at maybe 90 megabits per second in ideal conditions, worse when there's a lot of load on the other things that like it, are reliant on the USB 2.0 bus.

smax
Nov 9, 2009

Yep, until there's a Pi with some real network hardware in it I have a hard time recommending it for anything other than low-demand network tasks (DNS, IOT, simple internal web service, logging, etc.). Even if you're saving it on a separate network share, torrenting would still involve transferring data through the Pi.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

smax posted:

Yep, until there's a Pi with some real network hardware in it I have a hard time recommending it for anything other than low-demand network tasks (DNS, IOT, simple internal web service, logging, etc.). Even if you're saving it on a separate network share, torrenting would still involve transferring data through the Pi.

It's one of the biggest thing I'm hoping they'll change in the Pi 4: either eliminating the "almost everything goes through USB 2.0" restriction altogether, or at least changing that to run off USB 3.0 which gives a ton more leeway in what you can do for now. Everything going off the USB 3.0 bus would allow a true gigabit network port and rather decent disk access to occur without issues.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Irritated Goat posted:

Would a Raspberry Pi be a good replacement for some of the apps I run on my Synology? Most are basically web\file processing stuff like Sonarr and a torrent client. The actual storage would be on my NAS which would be on a Gigabit LAN with it.
Nah mang, it's got fuckall compute and more importantly Ethernet is on the USB two point zero bus. Get thee like an i3 NUC and never look back.

fishmech posted:

Not if you have a modern connection. It only comes with a 10/100 ethernet connection which will top out at maybe 90 megabits per second in ideal conditions, worse when there's a lot of load on the other things that like it, are reliant on the USB 2.0 bus.
You might get 90 writing to devnull but as you said, if you gotta read/write that traffic to actual storage YER BONED

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
Some of the RPi competitors have gigabit Ethernet. The Asus Tinker Board and the Orange Pi Plus/PC2 models come to mind. They can be $50-60, but that's still way cheaper than a NUC.

If you're comfortable enough with desktop Linux that you can set up a torrent server on Ubuntu, you can get an OS from Armbian and set up a server that you can remote into.

Craptacular! fucked around with this message at 23:33 on Jul 3, 2017

peepsalot
Apr 24, 2007

PEEP THIS...
           BITCH!

Are there any sites that aim to benchmark the various *-Pi devices, Beaglebone, et al?

Would be neat to see how they stack up for various things, like storage I/O throughput, network bandwidth, compute, graphics, etc.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

peepsalot posted:

Are there any sites that aim to benchmark the various *-Pi devices, Beaglebone, et al?

Would be neat to see how they stack up for various things, like storage I/O throughput, network bandwidth, compute, graphics, etc.

Well here's network bandwidth on a Pi 3 (tested with iperf, so it doesn't get impacted with use of the USB 2.0 bus for disk access etc):

And these are the Pi 1 + and Pi 2:

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
USB is intended as a peripheral bus, not as a system bus. This is something really deceptive about RPi performance, because it'll do great decent in CPU-only workloads that don't involve hitting disk, or even decent at reading one thing from disk, but literally everything on the RPi - SD card, USB drives, and network - all hang off one USB 2.0 controller and it's just not fast enough for fileservers or torrents or any of the other tasks people try to use them for. An actual PC, even something terrible like a Core2Duo from your local university surplus store, will thrash a RPi in many real-world server tasks because it's got a southbridge to offload a huge amount of the load. On the first-gen Pis just doing a device-to-device copy consumed a fairly good chunk of the CPU because of the kernel time (I want to say 33-50% load).

I feel for the Pi Foundation and their compatibility issues but the Broadcom SOC sucked even 5 years ago when they did the first-gen, and it's locked them into some terrible architectural decisions and a terrible GPU (cue fishmech's rant, I don't remember the details but it's pretty horrific even compared to the SOCs on cheapo modern phones). It made the early days years of support horrible because nobody except RPi Foundation could see docs or source for blobs, which led to some longstanding crippling bugs as well. And now it's basically legacy silicon, I don't really think there's much of an upgrade path for them to modern commodity SOCs without redoing a big chunk of their distro's kernel.

Look for a little mini-PC using a low-power (5-15W) Intel mobile processor, there are more options than just a NUC out there. Zotac has the ZBox line (cheap), ECS used to have the Liva series (cheap), etc. I'd prefer these to the Orange Pi or other Pi clone boards for stability/software compatibility/expandability/etc, but if that's your pricerange then the clone boards do thrash the Pi in terms of features and total system performance. Some of them have SATA, gigabit, USB 3.0, etc.

Shame the Athlon 5350 series is discontinued, you used to be able to walk out of Microcenter with a mobo and a CPU for $40 and put the whole thing together for $150 if you went for max cheap and $200 if you did it more decently.

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 01:06 on Jul 4, 2017

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

fishmech posted:

It's one of the biggest thing I'm hoping they'll change in the Pi 4: either eliminating the "almost everything goes through USB 2.0" restriction altogether, or at least changing that to run off USB 3.0 which gives a ton more leeway in what you can do for now. Everything going off the USB 3.0 bus would allow a true gigabit network port and rather decent disk access to occur without issues.

is the Pi 4 even a thing that is happening? I thought the foundation had said publicly that there are no plans for a Pi 4 in the future, and that they'll be concentrating on the software side of things for awhile?

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

Drone posted:

is the Pi 4 even a thing that is happening? I thought the foundation had said publicly that there are no plans for a Pi 4 in the future, and that they'll be concentrating on the software side of things for awhile?

Ive seen 2019 or later quoted.

Malloc Voidstar
May 7, 2007

Fuck the cowboys. Unf. Fuck em hard.
https://www.wired.co.uk/article/raspberry-pi-future
http://www.itpro.co.uk/strategy/28278/eben-upton-why-its-a-long-road-to-the-raspberry-pi-4

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Paul MaudDib posted:

USB is intended as a peripheral bus, not as a system bus. This is something really deceptive about RPi performance, because it'll do great decent in CPU-only workloads that don't involve hitting disk, or even decent at reading one thing from disk, but literally everything on the RPi - SD card, USB drives, and network - all hang off one USB 2.0 controller and it's just not fast enough for fileservers or torrents or any of the other tasks people try to use them for. An actual PC, even something terrible like a Core2Duo from your local university surplus store, will thrash a RPi in many real-world server tasks because it's got a southbridge to offload a huge amount of the load. On the first-gen Pis just doing a device-to-device copy consumed a fairly good chunk of the CPU because of the kernel time (I want to say 33-50% load).

I feel for the Pi Foundation and their compatibility issues but the Broadcom SOC sucked even 5 years ago when they did the first-gen, and it's locked them into some terrible architectural decisions and a terrible GPU (cue fishmech's rant, I don't remember the details but it's pretty horrific even compared to the SOCs on cheapo modern phones). It made the early days years of support horrible because nobody except RPi Foundation could see docs or source for blobs, which led to some longstanding crippling bugs as well. And now it's basically legacy silicon, I don't really think there's much of an upgrade path for them to modern commodity SOCs without redoing a big chunk of their distro's kernel.

Look for a little mini-PC using a low-power (5-15W) Intel mobile processor, there are more options than just a NUC out there. Zotac has the ZBox line (cheap), ECS used to have the Liva series (cheap), etc. I'd prefer these to the Orange Pi or other Pi clone boards for stability/software compatibility/expandability/etc, but if that's your pricerange then the clone boards do thrash the Pi in terms of features and total system performance. Some of them have SATA, gigabit, USB 3.0, etc.

Shame the Athlon 5350 series is discontinued, you used to be able to walk out of Microcenter with a mobo and a CPU for $40 and put the whole thing together for $150 if you went for max cheap and $200 if you did it more decently.

This reminds me I have an ECS Liva machine I might use to host my Plex server. It's all direct play so I imagine it would work via a USB3 hard drive.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

I'm seeing a lot of 7" tft displays but they say raspberry pi 3, think they will work with a zero? I don't need the touch screen part I'd that's the driver that's built for the 2 and 3.

Trying to source the last part of my cloud picture frame.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

tater_salad posted:

I'm seeing a lot of 7" tft displays but they say raspberry pi 3, think they will work with a zero? I don't need the touch screen part I'd that's the driver that's built for the 2 and 3.

Trying to source the last part of my cloud picture frame.

If they take regular HDMI in, they'll work fine with a Zero. If they're using the analog composite in, they'll require adding a composite port to the Zero. but they probably don't do that.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Drone posted:

I think they publically said in an interview that they had no immediate plans for a Pi 3, then barely two weeks later announced the Pi 3 and in one of the interviews said that they'd been working on designing the Pi 3 for the last 18 months.

Having no plans for a Pi 4 would be suicide for the brand; there will always be a demand for a bigger better Pi with low cost and low power requirements. Announcing that you're working on a new model would cripple sales as everyone waits for the next model to arrive, rather than buy what's already on shelves.

Pi 3 already got 64 bit support, wifi and bluetooth; the big features I can see at this point are either an onboard camera, and/or sata-3 support and as discussed, decoupling the USB bus from the SD data storage. If they do that last item there's not a lot of incentive to stick with the same crippled (by today's standards) broadcom core that's mostly GPU and maybe pick something a bit more modern.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Hadlock posted:

I think they publically said in an interview that they had no immediate plans for a Pi 3, then barely two weeks later announced the Pi 3 and in one of the interviews said that they'd been working on designing the Pi 3 for the last 18 months.

Having no plans for a Pi 4 would be suicide for the brand; there will always be a demand for a bigger better Pi with low cost and low power requirements. Announcing that you're working on a new model would cripple sales as everyone waits for the next model to arrive, rather than buy what's already on shelves.

Pi 3 already got 64 bit support, wifi and bluetooth; the big features I can see at this point are either an onboard camera, and/or sata-3 support and as discussed, decoupling the USB bus from the SD data storage. If they do that last item there's not a lot of incentive to stick with the same crippled (by today's standards) broadcom core that's mostly GPU and maybe pick something a bit more modern.

Maybe eMMC boot drive instead of booting from SD cards or USB storage?

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Pretty sure the broadcom chip supports booting from eMMC, the Beaglebone Black has had eMMC for almost as long as the Pi 1 has been around, if they wanted to do eMMC they would. eMMC is also an added cost, an SD card slot is a couple cents while an eMMC chip is probably close to a dollar which is going to cut in to their margins.

Gene Hackman Fan
Dec 27, 2002

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Hey all, I have a Pi 3 and I'm interested in mucking around with the GPIO -- Is there a HAT or some sort of kit that can expand the number of circuits it can control? Like somewhere in the neighborhood of 90 circuits?

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

Gene Hackman Fan posted:

Hey all, I have a Pi 3 and I'm interested in mucking around with the GPIO -- Is there a HAT or some sort of kit that can expand the number of circuits it can control? Like somewhere in the neighborhood of 90 circuits?

Some more details about your idea would help give a better answer, but here goes:

Serial-to-parallel shift registers are a thing that kind of multiplies GPIOs. They're cheap. Relatively easy.

Another option is offloading to a microprocessor like an Arduino. If you want to get fancier, ESP8266 devices like the NodeMCU take concept wireless.

eddiewalker fucked around with this message at 21:01 on Jul 7, 2017

Gene Hackman Fan
Dec 27, 2002

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

eddiewalker posted:

Some more details about your idea would help give a better answer, but here goes:

Serial-to-parallel shift registers are a thing that kind of multiplies GPIOs. They're cheap. Relatively easy.

Another option is offloading to a microprocessor like an Arduino. If you want to get fancier, ESP8266 devices like the NodeMCU take concept wireless.

Well, I've posted something of a work-in-progress thread in the project.log, but the gist is some old game show equipment that handles four buzzers, four voting panels of 5 buttons each, and five sets of chase lights (four circuits in each, in the backdrop and in each contestant lectern). The old computer that controls it is really heavy and adds a lot of setup time that I don't have. I'm having to build a new program to run it, as the current program is controlled by a light pen and not anything that can run on current systems.

edit: I really love the idea of ScratchGPIO, because I've been able to build stuff with Stencyl before and I'm foolish enough to think it won't be that hard an adjustment to go from Stencyl to Scratch.

Gene Hackman Fan fucked around with this message at 04:10 on Jul 8, 2017

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

I'd like to set up a Pi 2 to do a live Youtube stream. It will just be audio tracks so I don't need the camera. Any easy way to get started with this?

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

Hadlock posted:

The Osborne Effect!
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Osborne_effect

Tea Bone
Feb 18, 2011

I'm going for gasps.
I'm trying to use a pi to receive bluetooth audio then forward it out over an internet radio stream. I thought this would be relatively simple but I'm having nightmares getting it to work as the bluetooth sink.

I've followed this tutorial: https://thecodeninja.net/2016/06/bluetooth-audio-receiver-a2dp-sink-with-raspberry-pi/

on fresh installs of both xbian (as that's what the tutorial uses) and Raspbian, but to no avail. On xbian, I hit a dead end trying to scan for devices, nothing shows up and my pi's bd address shows as aa:aa:aa:aa:aa which I'm sure isn't right. On Raspbian I get to the end of the tutorial and my phone connects to the pi, but don't get any options to send audio.

Does anyone have any ideas or pointers?

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
Are there any laptop enclosures that don't suck yet?

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

You can get an hp or dell Core i3 for like 299 or less on sale.. by the time you buy pi and mmc and the enclosure you're probably still that price point.

Unless you want to do it "for science!" In which case source your own poo poo and 3d print a case from somewhere.

Short answer no they are all big and expensive.

tater_salad fucked around with this message at 23:14 on Jul 17, 2017

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
Why are all laptops expensive and lovely?

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Because when they made good laptops (a la IBM T series) nobody bought them because waaaaa waaaah so expensive. So now you want something built decently your choices are MacBook and ???

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

xtal posted:

Are there any laptop enclosures that don't suck yet?
There inherently can't be, the Pi is laid out and specced horribly for any kind of modern laptop enclosure to work well. There's a reason people stick to just lazily jamming one onto one of those old Motorola LapDock things meant for old Android phones.

xtal posted:

Why are all laptops expensive and lovely?

They aren't, unless you think the only laptops that exist are Macs.

Magnus Praeda
Jul 18, 2003
The largess in the land.

evil_bunnY posted:

Because when they made good laptops (a la IBM T series) nobody bought them because waaaaa waaaah so expensive. So now you want something built decently your choices are MacBook and ???

Not even MacBooks these days. Sure, the construction is as good as always but not being able to replace batteries, ram, or SSD is bullshit.

I'm still using my 2008 unibody Macbook but since I bought it I upgraded the ram, removed the combo drive and replaced it with a 1 TB HDD, replaced the original boot drive with a 256 GB SSD, replaced that with a 500 GB SSD, and I've replaced the battery three times.

I'd like to see a new MacBook try to last 9 years.

YouTuber
Jul 31, 2004

by FactsAreUseless
Holy poo poo just buy a Thinkpad. You can get a T420 for 100 bucks and it's still a super respectable computer unless you're some asperger riddled tard who HAS to have cutting edge components on it so he can play Minecraft for 8* hours a day.

(*1 Hour because the GPU blows the battery out instantly)

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
Not to derail the Raspberry Pi thread but a X200 is exactly what I was gonna buy. Seems like there hasn't been a good laptop in a decade. I don't care about performance​, but I was hoping for something​ that wouldn't break my back carrying it.

eightysixed
Sep 23, 2004

I always tell the truth. Even when I lie.

xtal posted:

Not to derail the Raspberry Pi thread but

:golfclap:

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

xtal posted:

Not to derail the Raspberry Pi thread but a X200 is exactly what I was gonna buy. Seems like there hasn't been a good laptop in a decade. I don't care about performance​, but I was hoping for something that wouldn't break my back carrying it.

If you're going to break your back carrying a goddamn Thinkpad you either need to go get an ancient monochrome gas plasma display runs-off-ten-D-cells luggable for the sake of humility or buy a walmart special craptop and live with it.

All the modern T and W series ThinkPads are "good laptops". They're just outside of your apparent McDonald's part time price range.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Chromebook?

Spazzle
Jul 5, 2003

I have a usb powered portable monitor connected into a pi. It is kinda like a laptop in portability.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

At this point you can pick up a X230 for about what it's going to cost to put together a rpi laptop. It's about as tinker toy as laptops get, replaceable battery, the works. We have a dedicated laptop thread if you want to really get in to the minutiae.