Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Tender Bender posted:

They should have inserted the Jabba deleted scene unaltered with Human Jabba and offered no explanation.

Well, Jabba had grown so rich, he wanted to retire. So he took me to his palace and told me his secret: "I am not Jabba," he said. "My name is Ryan. I inherited this palace from the previous Jabba, just as you will inherit it from me. The man I inherited it from was not the real Jabba, either. His name was Cummerbund. The real Jabba has been retired fifteen years and living like a king in Onderon."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

I don't think Disney will put out a "without the things nerds don't like" version ever but who knows.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

I could see them putting out a limited edition super deluxe box set with originals and SEs together and charge an arm and a leg for it.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

By "originals" you mean the remastered versions with the "bad content " removed right

You aren't talking about like the film stock from 1978

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Or by originals do you mean the VHS versions you saw in 1989 or the cut up versions you saw on tv with commercials

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

I have a copy of the film stock New Hope... quite a mess but cool for popping on to see.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Depends on what you mean by "remastered" at that point. Do I think it'll be cleaned up for a pristine-looking Blu-ray, yes. Do I think it'll have all the matte boxes and other imperfections, I don't know. I guess even the current SE Blu-rays still have some of that, so I have no idea what form it would take. I don't think I want to get into raw speculation, but there is probably at least a viable niche market for such a product in one form or another, and I don't know anything about the economic calculations involved, but I'd be surprised if it hasn't been discussed internally at least.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Vintersorg posted:

I have a copy of the film stock New Hope... quite a mess but cool for popping on to see.

That is cool.

Do you have a projector strong enough to project it somewhere near cinema size ?

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

turn left hillary!! noo posted:

Depends on what you mean by "remastered" at that point. Do I think it'll be cleaned up for a pristine-looking Blu-ray, yes. Do I think it'll have all the matte boxes and other imperfections, I don't know. I guess even the current SE Blu-rays still have some of that, so I have no idea what form it would take. I don't think I want to get into raw speculation, but there is probably at least a viable niche market for such a product in one form or another, and I don't know anything about the economic calculations involved, but I'd be surprised if it hasn't been discussed internally at least.

You've described the problem, everyone has their own ideal of what the idea version of "the originals" should be. Some want completely untouched negatives, some want the matte lines touched up, some want basically the SE but without scenes X,Y, and Z.

Not that it's really a business problem, because we know the fans will buy poo poo out of whatever they decide to release. They could release three different sets and people would buy all three just because Star Wars.

Basebf555 fucked around with this message at 19:16 on Jul 17, 2017

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

turn left hillary!! noo posted:

The ghosts are whatever, Hayden is on screen for like 5 seconds. The real good thing about Jedi SE is the new celebration theme on Endor, which is about 1,000 times better than the original.

honestly my biggest issue was this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O3u70WELSEg

you ruin one of the best moments of the trilogy because lucas needs to make poo poo "more clear". there was no dialogue and we were only looking at a completely still mask. Yet we could still sense his feelings and thoughts. He was clearly conflicted and you could tell he was about to do something. This is good film making. instead we have to add NOOOO.

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008
Am I 🧑‍🏫 out of touch🤔? No🧐, it's the children👶 who are wrong🤷🏼‍♂️

Tender Bender posted:

They should have inserted the Jabba deleted scene unaltered with Human Jabba and offered no explanation.

Unironically this.

If RotJ had Jabba as a human I think I'd also have been fine with it. I think it would have worked just as well with the right dialogue and acting.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Basebf555 posted:

You've described the problem, everyone has their own idea of what the idea version of "the originals" should be. Some want completely untouched negatives, some want the matte lines touched up, some want basically the SE but without scenes X,Y, and Z.

Not that it's really a business problem, because we know the fans will buy poo poo out of whatever they decide to release. They could release three different sets and people would buy all three just because Star Wars.

I wonder if you could get a branching menu to work with that many options. The untouched negatives would probably need to be on their own disc, but anything remastered could have 3-4 choices and you just go down the Blu-ray menu ticking off whatever you want. Does the Blu-ray format support that kind of thing or is it just like A/B?

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

That's not a movie anymore. It's a game or cyoa or something else I don't know.

UmOk
Aug 3, 2003

Dapper_Swindler posted:

you ruin one of the best moments of the trilogy because lucas needs to make poo poo "more clear". there was no dialogue and we were only looking at a completely still mask. Yet we could still sense his feelings and thoughts. He was clearly conflicted and you could tell he was about to do something. This is good film making. instead we have to add NOOOO.

About 99% sure that was Lucas trolling you.

Cnut the Great
Mar 30, 2014

dialhforhero posted:

^^^ I think the Jedi Rocks scene 'sucks' because it passes into the depths of the uncanny valley (for humanoid aliens). The original version was puppets and fits the aesthetic of the rest of the palace.

Star Wars isn't a puppet show, though. The aesthetic of Star Wars is "bizarre-looking aliens", not "things that look like and obviously are puppets." This is a common misconception.

The original intention was for the alien band in Jabba's palace to be part of a bombastic, full-blown dance number. They couldn't do it because the puppets sucked. Also Lucas and Marquand both disliked Lapti Nek and fully intended to replace it but just ran out of time.

Jedi Rocks is also better integrated as an ironically peppy, upbeat counterpoint to the depiction of Oola's degradation, struggle against Jabba, and subsequent murder at his hands. In the new version, Oola's desperate cries are actually made to mingle with the chorus at the end. The whole sequence is constructed more like a music video, which is a good thing.

Even Oola's little twirl and whip-crack here is tightly integrated with the beat:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2jzZOgLH4KU&t=69s

It's pretty much objectively a more skilfully and purposefully constructed sequence than the original, where the music was basically just background noise, rather than being its own dramatic entity which interacts with and adds its own ironic punch to the horror of Oola's situation.

UmOk
Aug 3, 2003

Cnut the Great posted:

The whole sequence is constructed more like a music video, which is a good thing.

Why is this a good thing?

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Cnut the Great posted:

It's pretty much objectively a more skilfully and purposefully constructed sequence than the original...

While agree those two things are true, it doesn't mean the scene is improved. Skill and purpose are good but not a guarantee of anything.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

UmOk posted:

About 99% sure that was Lucas trolling you.

Actually I hadn't seen the Blu-ray SE until quite recently, and from all the fan outrage I had expected it to be way worse than it is. I actually thought it kind of worked, but maybe I've walked too far down the dark side path of seeing the prequels as good movies.

Super Fan
Jul 16, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
It works better as background noise. Now RoTJ stops dead for an awful music video with an awful cgi... thing. I hate it

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games

euphronius posted:

By "originals" you mean the remastered versions with the "bad content " removed right

You aren't talking about like the film stock from 1978

This feels like a weird argument because it quickly reduces to no one has seen the same movie ever.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

porfiria posted:

This feels like a weird argument because it quickly reduces to no one has seen the same movie ever.

Lots of people saw the original trilogy in the theaters.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Cnut the Great posted:

Star Wars isn't a puppet show, though. The aesthetic of Star Wars is "bizarre-looking aliens", not "things that look like and obviously are puppets." This is a common misconception.

He didn't say "The original version fits the aesthetic better because they were puppets", he said "The original version was puppets and fits the aesthetic of the rest of the palace." And he was right.

Cnut the Great
Mar 30, 2014

Dapper_Swindler posted:

You're still looking at a completely still mask, though. You can still sense his feelings and thoughts. He only says "No" at the end right before he grabs the Emperor and his intentions are clear anyway. All the "No" does is make Vader's moment of realization come across as one slightly more of visceral emotion than of serene epiphany. It's just an issue of tonality. Lucas clearly just wanted Vader's decision to have more of a sense of sudden, forceful passion to it. It's not worse, it's just different.

I 100% guarantee you no one would ever even think to criticize it if the scene were originally that way. (And it would still be written about in Film 101 textbooks as a popular example of the Kuleshov effect in action.)

UmOk posted:

Why is this a good thing?

Because it means the visual narrative is intricately and overtly tied in with the foregrounded musical accompaniment, in a way that's completely unique for a Star Wars movie, and which adds to the atmosphere of bombastic excess mixed with grotesque horror which defines Jabba and his palace. Why wouldn't Jabba's palace suddenly turn into a pop-jazz fusion music video perversely glorifying sexual violence? I mean, he has his own private band, he's got a half-naked lady dancing for him on a chain...these things tend to happen in those situations.

Also, remember that Star Wars is a pastiche of classic movie genres. We hadn't really seen a full-blown musical sequence in Star Wars yet. It was something Lucas really wanted to do in Return of the Jedi but wasn't able to, which is probably why we have the "Anything Goes" sequence in Temple of Doom a year later instead. But when the opportunity for the Special Editions came along he was able to go back and do the caberet-style sequence he'd originally wanted for ROTJ. Jabba's palace is a location where the inclusion of that kind of sequence makes perfect sense. Interrupting the action for a brief musical spectacle set in a night club or palace court isn't exactly something that's unheard of in these sorts of movies, anyway.

Basebf555 posted:

While agree those two things are true, it doesn't mean the scene is improved. Skill and purpose are good but not a guarantee of anything.

Fair enough. I'm not here to tell you what to like.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Super Fan posted:

It works better as background noise. Now RoTJ stops dead for an awful music video with an awful cgi... thing. I hate it

It doesn't stop. The plot still advances during the sequence; the dancer is killed during it.

Super Fan
Jul 16, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

Bongo Bill posted:

It doesn't stop. The plot still advances during the sequence; the dancer is killed during it.

It feels like it stops everything dead because it's so tone deaf and the song itself is just the worst thing ever. It's the most objectively bad change Lucas made and I condemn him entirely for it!

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
I agree with this completely, every other change, there's one's I disagree with or think are stupid but I still enjoy the movies and the scenes that they happen in. Jedi Rocks is just bizarre and kills the pacing in a movie that already has some serious issues with its pacing.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

euphronius posted:

That is cool.

Do you have a projector strong enough to project it somewhere near cinema size ?

I meant someone ripped it somehow and there is a million GB file of what you'd get if you were in the cinemas. It's not cleaned up at all.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Neo Rasa posted:

I agree with this completely, every other change, there's one's I disagree with or think are stupid but I still enjoy the movies and the scenes that they happen in. Jedi Rocks is just bizarre and kills the pacing in a movie that already has some serious issues with its pacing.

It's really an interesting peek into where Lucas' tastes were heading at that point and how tone deaf he was to what made Star Wars cool.

It's totally unwatchable. I feel second hand shame sitting through it.

UmOk
Aug 3, 2003

veni veni veni posted:

It's really an interesting peek into where Lucas' tastes were heading at that point and how tone deaf he was to what made Star Wars cool.

How did you do it?

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

UmOk posted:

How did you do it?

Cnut's monologue about the divine beauty of the scene drowned out the audio.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Tender Bender posted:

Cnut's monologue about the divine beauty of the scene drowned out the audio.

If "the visual narrative" and "the musical accompaniment" being tied together is all it takes to make divine beauty then you have incredibly mediocre standards.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Schwarzwald posted:

If "the visual narrative" and "the musical accompaniment" being tied together is all it takes to make divine beauty then you have incredibly mediocre standards.

Were you there?

Yaws
Oct 23, 2013

veni veni veni posted:

It's so obnoxious the way he gets right in front of the 'camera' and just SCREAMMMMMMMMSSSSS!! He gets so close we get to see his loving uvula.

As bad as the prequels are I don't think anything in them tops the sheer repugnancey of Jedi Rocks.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

As a jizzmeister im offended by all of you trashing the 3rd best jizzing in star wars

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Yaws posted:

It's so obnoxious the way he gets right in front of the 'camera' and just SCREAMMMMMMMMSSSSS!! He gets so close we get to see his loving uvula.

As bad as the prequels are I don't think anything in them tops the sheer repugnancey of Jedi Rocks.

The grotesque sexuality of the scene is the point of it, along with the fourth-wall breaking that serves as a nod to Temple Of Doom's "Anything Goes" musical number (which took place at Club Obi-Wan).

The insectile characters sing directly into the camera with uncannily human lips. Jabba's hedonism is such that even the logic of the film breaks down. And this assertion that 'anything goes' is perhaps a way of justifying the fact that the heroes' plan makes absolutely no sense in literal plot terms.

Yaws
Oct 23, 2013

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

The grotesque sexuality of the scene is the point of it, along with the fourth-wall breaking that serves as a nod to Temple Of Doom's "Anything Goes" musical number (which took place at Club Obi-Wan).

The insectile characters sing directly into the camera with uncannily human lips. Jabba's hedonism is such that even the logic of the film breaks down. And this assertion that 'anything goes' is perhaps a way of justifying the fact that the heroes' plan makes absolutely no sense in literal plot terms.

The grotesque sexuality and hedonism was already established before Jedi Rocks and Sly Snootles. At best, it's redundant information. At worst it's an objectivity awful song performed poorly.

HINT: It's the latter

RedSpider
May 12, 2017

Dapper_Swindler posted:

Good loving God, that is atrocious.

I haven't seen the original trilogy in decades. I tried watching ANH "Special Edition" in 2007 or so (because it was the only version commercially available), but I turned it off about half way through because all the added content was so bizarre and surreal. It completely took me out of the movie to see modern special effects inserted into a film from the 70s. And I refuse to watch a masterpiece like Empire get ruined. I've heard horror stories about not just added special effects, but the addition of entirely changed scenes and 'added' dialogue such as this. gently caress Lucas forever.

One day I will want to see the unedited versions again. Hopefully Disney releases it in a few years, or I'll have to get it by a friend with skills.

RedSpider
May 12, 2017

I mean how does anyone defend this revisionist bullshit. It would be like James Cameron deciding to replace the practical Alien Queen in Aliens with a digital one. That is the level loving bullshit we're dealing with here with Lucas.

Yaws
Oct 23, 2013

RedSpider posted:

Good loving God, that is atrocious.

I haven't seen the original trilogy in decades. I tried watching ANH "Special Edition" in 2007 or so (because it was the only version commercially available), but I turned it off about half way through because all the added content was so bizarre and surreal. It completely took me out of the movie to see modern special effects inserted into a film from the 70s. And I refuse to watch a masterpiece like Empire get ruined. I've heard horror stories about not just added special effects, but the addition of entirely changed scenes and 'added' dialogue such as this. gently caress Lucas forever.

One day I will want to see the unedited versions again. Hopefully Disney releases it in a few years, or I'll have to get it by a friend with skills.

The SE is indeed a travesty but you can easily find the despecialized editions online. Don't waste your time with the Blu-ray versions like I did.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cnut the Great
Mar 30, 2014

Super Fan posted:

It feels like it stops everything dead because it's so tone deaf and the song itself is just the worst thing ever. It's the most objectively bad change Lucas made and I condemn him entirely for it!

I gotta be honest, I've never been able to wrap my head around this widespread notion that Jedi Rocks is somehow the worst song ever but Lapti Nek is just the tits.

Disco is an abomination.

RedSpider posted:

I mean how does anyone defend this revisionist bullshit. It would be like James Cameron deciding to replace the practical Alien Queen in Aliens with a digital one. That is the level loving bullshit we're dealing with here with Lucas.

If he wanted to, he should be allowed to because he made the movie. It's not revisionist bullshit, it's respecting the prerogative of the artist over that of the consumer.

You're the consumer, by the way. You pay money for a copy of a work of art. You then own that copy to enjoy whenever you want. You don't own the work of art. The artist does (in a moral, creative sense, at least).

Cnut the Great fucked around with this message at 04:32 on Jul 18, 2017

• Locked thread