Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Afriscipio
Jun 3, 2013

New Butt Order posted:

I would really like it if the Nemesis system became the new Bullet Time and just got crammed into every game whether it was a good fit or not. That poo poo owns.

The're doing it with X-Com 2, so we'll see if it shakes out in another genre.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Max
Nov 30, 2002

My main beef with the first Shadow of Mordor was that they didn't give you the indoctrination power until the halfway point. The whole game really opened up for me when I got it and I wish they had made that available way earlier.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Max posted:

My main beef with the first Shadow of Mordor was that they didn't give you the indoctrination power until the halfway point. The whole game really opened up for me when I got it and I wish they had made that available way earlier.

The mission where you get it is super weird. You're told that you need to go to this place and you'll get a tool you can use to control an army. You get there and there are two guys captured that you need to rescue and all of a sudden you're told to do that you should use your new power that lets you control Orcs.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

I'm getting this feeling from Watch Dogs 2 that three different teams worked on dialogue writing, objective descriptions and mission design, and they didn't always coordinate. Just played a side mission about some guy who disappered, objective for the last part mentioned he was dead which hadn't come up before, and told me to wipe his data, upon which Marcus called in to the gang and announced “okay, it's uploaded.“

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
Yakuza 0 is so drat clunky. Movement doesn't feel good which hurts the combat, there's fading out and loading for everything, none of the minigames I've tried have been fun. Also I thought it was going to be more GTAish but it seems to be set in a small chunk of high street and you progress by walking forward until a cutscene happens. I guess that's my fault for not looking into the game more before getting it, but I'm really not sure if I can be bothered going on if there doesn't seem to be any fun anywhere I turn

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money
So I started replaying Kingdom Hearts 1.5 and I forgot how utterly unfun Proud Mode is. Everything just does a flat 2x damage to you, and the gameplay has not aged well. It really sucks taking dying in two hits from things you really couldn't react to because there's no way to really cancel out of animations or anything, especially in the early game.

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe

New Butt Order posted:

my Arch Nemesis is an Orc I'd killed about half a dozen times already and was only around for the finale because no matter how many times I had him burned, beheaded or hucked off a cliff he would always manage to walk it off and come back for more.

you're thinking backwards, you were his arch nemesis.

ZeusCannon
Nov 5, 2009

BLAAAAAARGH PLEASE KILL ME BLAAAAAAAARGH
Grimey Drawer
I really liked the nemesis system but I distinctly remember getting to the end game and the big bad group of orcs for.. I dunno sauron or whoever and not knowing any of them.

Again really liked the system it was just weird for them to be like "remember me?!?!?"

".......no. have we met before?"

Zinkraptor
Apr 24, 2012

The main issue with the system was that, like with most games with the Arkham combat system, it was very difficult to any one orc to pose much of a threat. Usually, if you died, it was because fifty dudes were attacking you at once, not because a big guy beat you one-on-one, and the former doesn't really feel like a "nemesis" thing.

moosecow333
Mar 15, 2007

Super-Duper Supermen!

Zinkraptor posted:

The main issue with the system was that, like with most games with the Arkham combat system, it was very difficult to any one orc to pose much of a threat. Usually, if you died, it was because fifty dudes were attacking you at once, not because a big guy beat you one-on-one, and the former doesn't really feel like a "nemesis" thing.

True, and the only time a bad guy could reliably beat you was when they were immune to almost all forms of damage and could one shot you.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

I have one problem with the Nemesis stuff: halfway through the game you get sent to a new map with different orcs, then at the end you come back and you're supposed to remember your nemesis from the first map that you probably haven't seen for a long time.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Zinkraptor posted:

I got really lucky my first time playing. My nemesis was a high-level crossbow-haver who murdered the poo poo out of me near the start of the game. We fought each other like six times, and each time it was a toss-up who would win. He just kept getting more dangerous each time. Also, he didn't speak. He just giggled and hissed. Every time he showed up again he was more and more scarred and disfigured. It was pretty cool. He felt like a weird orc version of the PC.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
My nemesis ended up having like a dozen immunities because he started as immune to stealth kills, and I forgot every single time I went to hunt him down. :frog: I play all sneaky beaky like so he's the first one I didn't either kill outright, or kill before the rest of the horde realizes I'm doing poo poo.

Eventually I FINALLY remembered, and killed him with a single headshot from the top of a building. Dick.

My main issue with Shadow of Mordor is when you have multiple named dudes in the same area, then get caught, and each one in turn gives you a loving John Galt speech including the guy a hundred meters off screaming from across the field, just let him do his thing while I actually have fun dammit

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

2house2fly posted:

Yakuza 0 is so drat clunky. Movement doesn't feel good which hurts the combat, there's fading out and loading for everything, none of the minigames I've tried have been fun. Also I thought it was going to be more GTAish but it seems to be set in a small chunk of high street and you progress by walking forward until a cutscene happens. I guess that's my fault for not looking into the game more before getting it, but I'm really not sure if I can be bothered going on if there doesn't seem to be any fun anywhere I turn

Saying there isn't any fun is very disingenuous to the entire experience of Yakuza - it's not GTA, that is correct. For some reason, people hear 'open world, in a city' and immediately think you'll be running around stealing cars and shooting down civilians left and right.

For the first part of the game, yes, it is very cutscene-heavy as characters and poo poo are introduced. You begin to unlock more and more, however, and eventually you'll just have full reign of Kamurocho (and the only place whose name always escapes me), allowing you to do a shitload of open-world stuff, taking on quests, playing arcade games, mahjong, etc. Fighting also opens up as you unlock more moves and stances, with longer combos, or with weaponry that can just wreck poo poo on your opponents.

VVVVV Yeah that's probably true.

Morpheus has a new favorite as of 13:55 on Jul 18, 2017

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
The main draw of Yakuza is the writing and the goofy side quests. If those don't instantly hook you, the gameplay probably never will.

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747
Diablo 3:

the only helmet in this game is the "Broken Crown", because whenever a gem drops, a gem of the same type that is socketed in your helmet will drop. i have gotten numerous topazes and the like this way, and i see no reason to use any other helmet, especially when my Health on Hit goes super well with the crusader's holy beam. I guess it's less the game dragging itself down, and more me dragging it down by not thinking of other cool helmets, but what's the best i'd get from a different helmet? a bigger strength/vitality boost?

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

TF2 HAT MINING RIG posted:

I have one problem with the Nemesis stuff: halfway through the game you get sent to a new map with different orcs, then at the end you come back and you're supposed to remember your nemesis from the first map that you probably haven't seen for a long time.

My nemesis was an absolute terror for me: he was a super-powerful hunter who would show up almost every time I engaged another warchief, and he would just gently caress me up everytime, so it was really cool that he showed up at the end.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

spit on my clit posted:

Diablo 3:

the only helmet in this game is the "Broken Crown", because whenever a gem drops, a gem of the same type that is socketed in your helmet will drop. i have gotten numerous topazes and the like this way, and i see no reason to use any other helmet, especially when my Health on Hit goes super well with the crusader's holy beam. I guess it's less the game dragging itself down, and more me dragging it down by not thinking of other cool helmets, but what's the best i'd get from a different helmet? a bigger strength/vitality boost?
You can put it into the Cube for the power and then wear a different hat.

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747

FactsAreUseless posted:

You can put it into the Cube for the power and then wear a different hat.

The cube..? Guess I'll find out what that is when I do

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

spit on my clit posted:

The cube..? Guess I'll find out what that is when I do
Most of Diablo 3 happens at 70

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

Today on Witcher III, Geralt must solve The Mystery of the Immortal Bandits. There are 3 bandits fighting with a dude in green robes who only uses his fists. Only one even registers on the mini-map, and his health bar has been emptied many times over. Meanwhile I just want to track down the loot stash from this underground fight club. Are these dudes even related? gently caress knows. But there they remain continuously getting reamed even after meditation or reloading a save, and I can't progress because you aren't allowed to investigate during combat.

It certainly doesn't bother the town drunkards as they continue to hold their slurred conversation while fists and sword clip through them. Thank God I don't need to complete this one to progress. For all it's merits, playing Witcher III is an exercise in discovering all the manifold ways the game can poo poo itself.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Project X Zone is a strategy game with 41 story missions. You do not find out the villains plan until halfway into mission 41. That means that the entire rest of the story is each of the 40 odd characters saying a single sentence about how we dont know what the enemy is up to and we just missed them we better hurry oh no this is a mystery.

The cherry on this sunday is that at around mission 30 the game has a level where you steal mcguffin items from the enemy to help uncover their plan. Not only do the clues not help in story because the characters dont know what they are, they also never come up ever again outside of that mission so they have no purpose whatsoever.

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!

FactsAreUseless posted:

Most of Diablo 3 happens at 70

I'm starting to feel like there are two Diablo 3s, the single player story-driven RPG nobody cares about and the speedrun experience.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

The Bee posted:

I'm starting to feel like there are two Diablo 3s, the single player story-driven RPG nobody cares about and the speedrun experience.

It's a Blizzard game, this thing happens all the time: the gameplay mode most people play (the single player version) and the mode that everyone assumes people exclusively plays that shocks some people when they don't.

WoW has raids/difficult content. Starcraft has multiplayer*. Diablo 3 has adventure mode.

* Ages ago, but I remember when Blizzard admitted that they tried to make a multiplayer push at some point, because their Starcraft 2 data shows that maybe 90% of the players do the single player, a single multiplayer game, and that's it.

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747

The Bee posted:

I play it with my brother, and we have a blast grinding through the enemies with our crossbows and hammer chucking. Sadly, you can't bump the game's difficulty past hard until you beat the game, and it seems Reaper of Souls is now integrated into the game, meaning we gotta beat that before we can get any sense of danger. Hell, I died twice only because both times I was checking my inventory instead of being a hammer brother.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

spit on my clit posted:

I play it with my brother, and we have a blast grinding through the enemies with our crossbows and hammer chucking. Sadly, you can't bump the game's difficulty past hard until you beat the game, and it seems Reaper of Souls is now integrated into the game, meaning we gotta beat that before we can get any sense of danger. Hell, I died twice only because both times I was checking my inventory instead of being a hammer brother.
The problem with Diablo 3 is that it's easy and boring for part of the game and pointless for the rest. Combined with the specificity of builds needed for higher torment it really kills the fun of hunting for new its and playing with your abilities.

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

malae fidei cum XI_XXVI_MMIX

FactsAreUseless posted:

The problem with Diablo 3 is that it's easy and boring for part of the game and pointless for the rest. Combined with the specificity of builds needed for higher torment it really kills the fun of hunting for new its and playing with your abilities.

You can comfortably reach torment 10 with any lvl 70 set you pick for any character you pick, with uniques that play into the same skills. I'd agree it becomes pointless once you get to play with all the items for the class but then you have 6 more classes to play with so if you like the feel of D3 you have hundreds of hours there while listening to podcasts or something while you make numbers go up. I had the same set fall out 4 times in a row and started bitching until I realized D2 was much more grindy.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Vic posted:

You can comfortably reach torment 10 with any lvl 70 set you pick for any character you pick, with uniques that play into the same skills. I'd agree it becomes pointless once you get to play with all the items for the class but then you have 6 more classes to play with so if you like the feel of D3 you have hundreds of hours there while listening to podcasts or something while you make numbers go up. I had the same set fall out 4 times in a row and started bitching until I realized D2 was much more grindy.
I never played Diablo 2 past Nightmare, but I enjoyed it more anyway because the main quest content was more interesting and it could reasonably challenge you.

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

malae fidei cum XI_XXVI_MMIX

FactsAreUseless posted:

I never played Diablo 2 past Nightmare, but I enjoyed it more anyway because the main quest content was more interesting and it could reasonably challenge you.

Diablo 3 story mode is terrible and boring and I wish they made adventure mode free. I liked Diablo 2 more also, and the story is much better even today, but also I was a kid back then and that clicky game genre was pretty new. There are like 4 games out every fall with the same spin.

Inco
Apr 3, 2009

I have been working out! My modem is broken and my phone eats half the posts I try to make, including all the posts I've tried to make here. I'll try this one more time.
The White Palace in Hollow Knight is a complete rear end in a top hat of a platforming gauntlet. I was used to the platforming in the previous parts of the game, but the skill curve here is way too steep for me to overcome.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
Yeah that level is terrible. Also really stupid. Why the gently caress are sawblades and moving spike traps in Hollow Knight?

It clearly wanted to be Super Meat Boy for that part except it forgot that a) SMB has nearly perfect controls unlike Hollow Knight and b) SMB levels are really short and not 10 minutes of platforming gauntlets between each bench.

I have finished SMB 106% multiple times and I love hard platforming done right, but White Palace has turned me off from doing another true ending playthrough of HK, a game that is otherwise extremely good.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Vic posted:

Diablo 3 story mode is terrible and boring and I wish they made adventure mode free. I liked Diablo 2 more also, and the story is much better even today, but also I was a kid back then and that clicky game genre was pretty new. There are like 4 games out every fall with the same spin.
The only one I even kind of like is Path of Exile, and even that has its issues. I played a bunch of Diablo 3 after Reaper came out and was eventually like "oh, huh, this sucks, doesn't it?"

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
The only ARPG story mode I liked was Diablo 2, although I haven't played much of Path of Exile. The progression through the D2 campaign is really smooth and it's the right length to be engaging and challenging without being exhausting (like Titan Quest, which is way too long).

Level 70 stuff at Diablo 3 is very fun, but it's also a hyperspecific flavor of fun. If you don't like grinding against endless dungeons forever for no reason except to grind against the same dungeons a little faster later, there's absolutely nothing D3 has to offer you.

Hedgehog Pie
May 19, 2012

Total fuckin' silence.
I've been playing Stardew Valley recently, and it's a nice chill relaxing game. I always liked the concept of the Harvest Moon games, but never really had the patience to play them for very long. This game feels much more accessible and pacey, I like that.

A constant problem I seem to have though is that dialogue boxes will appear and then disappear pretty much instantly, before I've had a chance to read what a character is saying. I think it's a bug, I've seen it in videos of other people playing too, but it seems to have been around for a while and is pretty crucial for a game so reliant on character and charm. Has anyone else experienced this, or is it just me? I don't think it's a case of me double-pressing the button...

I've found that the bundle rewards are a little bit inconsistent. The mine carts and the greenhouse are both really useful, and the desert has enough extra features to make it a worthwhile addition, but it doesn't seem like I ever get the opportunity to pan for ore. The quarry is also a bit of a let down, though I appreciate that it can make it easier to obtain rare gems quickly.

A super minor one: once you donate soapstone to the museum, its description will inform you that it "is very popular for carving". Despite this, it's still treated as a bad gift to give to Leah... who is a sculptor, and who asks you to look for materials she could use in her casual dialogue. Heck, she's the only character who likes being given the nigh-useless driftwood item for this reason!

Fun game though. I might post some more goodies about other games now that I can check to see what I've already talked about here...

Hedgehog Pie has a new favorite as of 22:32 on Jul 18, 2017

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost

RyokoTK posted:

The only ARPG story mode I liked was Diablo 2, although I haven't played much of Path of Exile. The progression through the D2 campaign is really smooth and it's the right length to be engaging and challenging without being exhausting (like Titan Quest, which is way too long).

Level 70 stuff at Diablo 3 is very fun, but it's also a hyperspecific flavor of fun. If you don't like grinding against endless dungeons forever for no reason except to grind against the same dungeons a little faster later, there's absolutely nothing D3 has to offer you.

PoE turns smoothly from the levelling RPG story mode, which is genuinely well done and well told while also being utterly skippable, into pure and explicit grind-to-the-top unlocking, into a pseudo-hardcore thing once the death XP penalty starts to represent a few hours of grinding rather than a few minutes. Basically you can tap out whenever but you'll always have something more if you want to keep pushing and the nature of the difficulty changes over the course of play.

The only real issue it's got is the gulf of genuinely painfully slow levelling between upper 70s and lower 80s, but it's good before that and once you're through it it's good again. I'm hopeful that the new expansion will smooth that out a tad.

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

PoE is the single best multiplayer ARPG on the market at the moment.

The only downside to the solo play experience is that many builds can be fairly gear intensive and it's unreasonable to expect to find the items you personally need, though you will find plenty of valuables to trade. Thankfully the game has some UI mods and other things that make trading so piss easy to do its hardly a problem. It's still hard to be a self-found man so you're expected to participate in the economy at least at some level, even if it's just trading currency for items directly and never selling anything.

Now Grim dawn on the other hand is the best single player ARPG right now, IMO.

Quality story, plenty of side areas and hidden content to find and explore as you start to learn the game. The high level stuff isn't as good as PoE (PoE's end game is legitimately fantastic which is a rare thing for an arpg) but it's still quite rewarding and there are areas designed to challenge builds so you can set a goal of beating the ultra hard hidden bosses or clearing the entireity of the colliseum gauntlet dlc (called the crucible iirc).

Anyway they're both good games if you like ARPGs. Way better than that turd D3.

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost

Agent355 posted:

PoE is the single best multiplayer ARPG on the market at the moment.

The only downside to the solo play experience is that many builds can be fairly gear intensive and it's unreasonable to expect to find the items you personally need, though you will find plenty of valuables to trade. Thankfully the game has some UI mods and other things that make trading so piss easy to do its hardly a problem. It's still hard to be a self-found man so you're expected to participate in the economy at least at some level, even if it's just trading currency for items directly and never selling anything.

Now Grim dawn on the other hand is the best single player ARPG right now, IMO.

Quality story, plenty of side areas and hidden content to find and explore as you start to learn the game. The high level stuff isn't as good as PoE (PoE's end game is legitimately fantastic which is a rare thing for an arpg) but it's still quite rewarding and there are areas designed to challenge builds so you can set a goal of beating the ultra hard hidden bosses or clearing the entireity of the colliseum gauntlet dlc (called the crucible iirc).

Anyway they're both good games if you like ARPGs. Way better than that turd D3.

End game PoE characters genuinely feel incredibly powerful. My first one could hit enemies 6 times every 5 frames.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Inco posted:

The White Palace in Hollow Knight is a complete rear end in a top hat of a platforming gauntlet. I was used to the platforming in the previous parts of the game, but the skill curve here is way too steep for me to overcome.

If you use the honeycomb badge and don't mind waiting a long-rear end time you can't lose. Agree on it sucking, though.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Inco posted:

For anyone curious about this place;

The rest of the game almost all of the levels, obstacles and enemies are organic and it's really cool. Suddenly you're fighting magical metal golems that can't die, and are expected to use them just to progress through the level. The obstacles are romhack-levels of annoying to deal with and make the most obnoxious noise in the game. And there isn't even really a clear sense of direction because every area in this place looks the same, just a loose series of samey rooms filled with spikes and saws. The game is also abysmal at checkpoints and A. they tend to only appear in the halfway points of rooms and B, if say you're doing a vertical oriented area and get knocked off a platform and fall back down to the beginning, your checkpoint resets and now if you die you get launched back to the beginning rather than the mid-point where you just were.

The game has castlevania levels of knockback and this area is the first time you're actually expected to do things like bounce on enemies and obstacles to make it through a room, it's an enormous and sudden spike in difficulty and poo poo design and IIRC, once you enter it you can't go back until you finish it.

EDIT: Also forgot to mention that the saws and spikes are instant-death. Well, "death" in that they reset you to your last checkpoint and take off like two to four health points depending on your set up.

Nuebot has a new favorite as of 00:00 on Jul 19, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

Nuebot posted:

The game has castlevania levels of knockback and this area is the first time you're actually expected to do things like bounce on enemies and obstacles to make it through a room, it's an enormous and sudden spike in difficulty and poo poo design and IIRC, once you enter it you can't go back until you finish it.

There's a couple points toward the end of White Palace where there's a bench and if you take that bench you have to finish the area, but in the hubs there are teleports that bring you to the beginning of the zone.

It sucks that you need to finish it in order to get the true ending. It's garbage and it should be a 100% challenge only, like the Coliseum.

Also moving sawblade traps are just bafflingly out of place.