Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Dejan Bimble posted:

I was surprised by the cameo, because I thought, wow they almost never have extras this ugly, then I realized it was multi platinum recording artist Ed Sheerhan
same

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

Harton posted:

Yeah I didn't think about this last night but yeah she should be heading north. I will forgive if she heads that way after dudes said they missed their homes. That's all I'm in this for anymore is some good stark vibes. These stupid books. I feel sorry for all the people I got to read this poo poo back in the day.

Edit: like when Bran got to the wall last night I almost cried a tear. Not because it was overly emotional, but because it was a sign that something was actually about to happen after 20 years.

She is going to head north, it's already been spoiled.

Harton
Jun 13, 2001

Barreft posted:

She is going to head north, it's already been spoiled.

Oh man! A couple guys at work were talking about how it's not gonna be as good as the books. I felt bad because I talked them into reading them when the show first came out. I apologized and told them that they were never gonna see another book. They were skeptical, ahhhh to feel hope again would be nice. I'd rather not ever be disappointed by the GRRM ever again though so I'll take stoic cynicism.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
I still want to know who the gently caress chose Euron's wardrobe. And why.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.

emanresu tnuocca posted:

Yeah perhaps she also forgot about Moat Cailin and how the north was never taken by a southron army, cause Sansa apparently did.

Or there are other ways to kill people, like assassins.

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

and dany + friends

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
"this fantasy tv show could really use some cyberpunk aristocrats"

Harton
Jun 13, 2001

Ok full disclosure groovelord I came home from work and my wife was watching it cause she fell asleep early last night. Scene came on and like a half second into it she was like "is that ed scheeren"

I started laughing a lot and kinda had to explain myself. Needless to say she called me a douchebag and now I have to admit you probably have a point.

lezard_valeth
Mar 14, 2016
So Nymeria shows up next episode apparently. That's neat. Hope she doesn't die cause CGI is too expensive.

Also when Euron said he was bringing a gift, my first thought was that the show had forgotten Rickon Stark had already died

but my second thought was Gendry. I find it hilarious that the show runners that are super obsessed in wrapping up every single plot thread despite the author of the book saying "hey this may not have a satisfying ending for everyone" have so far completely forgotten about Gendry.

I want the show to end without any mention of him again so we can rename the Chuck Cunningham trope into The Gendry.

Of course, most likely he is gonna show up next season out of nowhere with an army to save Jon from the zombies and fend them off back to back like their fathers (or fake fathers) did.

lezard_valeth fucked around with this message at 03:43 on Jul 18, 2017

drunken officeparty
Aug 23, 2006

It's a dargon, he's bringing her a dargon

lezard_valeth
Mar 14, 2016

drunken officeparty posted:

It's a dargon, he's bringing her a dargon

Nah, leaked images confirm it's Yara and the Bad Pussies

Asbury
Mar 23, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!
Hair Elf

lezard_valeth posted:

If he kills them I'm nominating Euron Greyjoy for Heisman

I mean, Yara's cool, but I'd have zero problem with her being collateral damage

lezard_valeth
Mar 14, 2016
If he kills them that heavily contradicts his claim that everyone will hate Euron more than Ramsay.

disjoe
Feb 18, 2011

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

I'll have you know Euron's trip to American Eagle was well worth it

Dongicus
Jun 12, 2015

rope kid posted:

"Who among you knows this pop star, Ed Sheeran?"

Goon 1: *stands up, boldly* "Not I! I am not a normie!"

Goon 2: *stands up even faster, speaks with a more strident tone* "I can't even say the name Eaud Shear-han!"

Goon 3: *pushes the other two people out the way and shouts through a megaphone* "I've never heard music!"

drunken officeparty
Aug 23, 2006

Ya'll see that Ron Weasley cameo?

lezard_valeth
Mar 14, 2016
Rewatching the episode now. Daenerys arrival to Dragonstone reminded me of this

if this continued into "You've taken your first step into the Tohjo Falls....you've taken your first step into Victory Road....and now you are taking your first step into Indigo Plateau"

Why did that scene dragged on for so long? Any drama was lost after the first loop of the Targaryen theme.

drunken officeparty
Aug 23, 2006

Yes this dragon titty show reminded me of a childrens video game too

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

So the white walkers are marching their army around the wall? So whats the point of the wall

Bobo the Red
Aug 14, 2004
Lay off the marmot
Why was Dragonstone deserted though?

Was there some reference to Stannis clearing out the servants and the infirm when he left? You don't usually bring those folks to war; I thought Shireen and her mom were a special exception

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
Man they turned Euron into a loving cartoon character.

Who sails to King's Landing just to say "hey baby I'm gonna get you something special!" and then turns around and leaves without saying another word?!? That's ridiculous.

Bobo the Red posted:

Was there some reference to Stannis clearing out the servants and the infirm when he left? You don't usually bring those folks to war; I thought Shireen and her mom were a special exception

With Stannis and Renly both dead and all their armies obliterated the lands would probably fall to all kinds of infighting, lots of people would probably just up and move to more stable lands with some form of leadership.

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Everything about Euron in this episode was loving RIDICULOUS.

The show is really just a bunch of Hollywood cliches at this point. Its kinda sad to see it end this way.

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 05:49 on Jul 18, 2017

bloom
Feb 25, 2017

by sebmojo

lezard_valeth posted:

I hope Cersei reacts with "who the gently caress are they?" and has them all, Euron included, killed. Jaime of course knows, but he's so embarrassed by the Dorne plotline he doesn't speak up.

drunken officeparty
Aug 23, 2006

Sam is going to discover the magical-smallpox vaccine for Jorah, inadvertantly making him magically-autistic.

Tarantula
Nov 4, 2009

No go ahead stand in the fire, the healer will love the shit out of you.

freebooter posted:

Has anyone commented on how bizarre it is that everybody's wearing jet black all the time now? Cersei and the Night's Watch, OK fine, and I guess Arya's an assassin now, but by the time of the final scene when Dany, Tyrion, Grey Worm and whatshername were all dressed like Catwoman I started laughing.

I kinda just figured it's the colour of mourning, and loads of people have died and this season we are very likely going to see large numbers of people killed so some not so subtle foreshadowing?

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
Beric and the Hound talking about meeting a long time ago during a tourney: are they really doing a Tourney of Harrenhal flashback?

Lloyd Boner
Oct 11, 2009

Yes officer, my name is Victoria Sonnen...berg
Maybe but they're probably talking about the season 1 tourney.

witchcore ricepunk
Jul 6, 2003

The Golden Witch
Who Solved the Epitaph

A Probability of 1/2,578,917

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

There's an outlet mall in Sothoryos

mashed
Jul 27, 2004

I made a thing. How Ed should have reacted when Bran went all spooky.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VgA7Tr5wu78

lezard_valeth
Mar 14, 2016
When I first saw the episode I was expecting a cripple joke

Like them glancing towards Bran's legs with a look of "how many cripples claiming to be Jon Snow's supposedly dead brother do you think are living in zombie wasteland?"

Regardless I'm glad Edd is back. Boomed down that he will be remembered as the Commander under whose watch the Wall went down.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
You'd think they'd say "oh hey your brother was just here but he left"

But I guess they'll get to that part next episode :v:

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos

banned from Starbucks posted:

So the white walkers are marching their army around the wall? So whats the point of the wall

Jon said they'll be marching on Eastwatch as it's the closest castle to Hardhome.

You can't really march around the wall unless through the mountains and the bay of ice from the west but there's a natural barrier there in the form of a river.

The funny thing is that hardhome to eastwatch is about a fifth of the distance from castle black to winterfell so unless the night's king was purposefully waiting for Jon to sort out his season 6 plot lines he should have already overtaken the under garrisoned castle.

lezard_valeth
Mar 14, 2016

banned from Starbucks posted:

Season will end with zombie Hodor blowing the Horn of Joramun and the Wall coming down. The attacks at Eastwatch are mostly so that the Night's King can cash in his check for this unnecesary paddled season.

lezard_valeth
Mar 14, 2016

emanresu tnuocca posted:

The funny thing is that hardhome to eastwatch is about a fifth of the distance from castle black to winterfell so unless the night's king was purposefully waiting for Jon to sort out his season 6 plot lines he should have already overtaken the under garrisoned castle.

In the show's defense (what the gently caress am I doing) after Hardhome the Night's King went to gently caress around the Heart of Winter where his zombie horde dramatically stared down a mountain. Then they paid a visit to the Forest Elves and Discount Gandalf and chased Bran down till they got bored and went do something else.

You just don't remember the Night's King doing all this stuff because you are used to characters sitting on their assess waiting for a candle for a whole season. Or getting wasted and cracking eunuch jokes. Or straight out dissapearing for a full season and returning to die offscreen.

lezard_valeth fucked around with this message at 07:41 on Jul 18, 2017

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

Here's some Dem Thrones for episode 1 for y'all.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yUNIz4ejTiA

MadJackMcJack
Jun 10, 2009

mashed_penguin posted:

I made a thing. How Ed should have reacted when Bran went all spooky.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VgA7Tr5wu78

:golfclap:

Kopijeger
Feb 14, 2010

lezard_valeth posted:

Regardless I'm glad Edd is back. Boomed down that he will be remembered as the Commander under whose watch the Wall went down.

Funny, that. When Reanimated Jon left Castle Black, it seemed like Edd was left in charge, and still is. Shouldn't they have a new election for the post of Lord Commander? Shouldn't the old guy who commanded the Shadow Tower be the prime candidate considering he is more experienced that any of the guys left at Castle Black? Also, you'd think they'd try to get a new fully trained Maester to serve in the interim instead of waiting years for Sam to finish training. Are there even Maesters at the Shadow Tower or Eastwatch in the show?

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011
Jews fleeing the Holocaust are not in any way comparable to North Africans, who don't flee genocide but want to enjoy the social welfare systems of Northern Europe.

Kopijeger posted:

Funny, that. When Reanimated Jon left Castle Black, it seemed like Edd was left in charge, and still is. Shouldn't they have a new election for the post of Lord Commander? Shouldn't the old guy who commanded the Shadow Tower be the prime candidate considering he is more experienced that any of the guys left at Castle Black? Also, you'd think they'd try to get a new fully trained Maester to serve in the interim instead of waiting years for Sam to finish training. Are there even Maesters at the Shadow Tower or Eastwatch in the show?

That could have happened off screen, or, without Stannis forcing their hand, they might just be ok with Edd staying as interim commander, who has the backing of the nearest monarch.

What bothers me a lot more is that Jon can just command the Wildlings to take Eastwatch, even though it belongs to the Watch and is presumably still garrisoned by at least a token force. He should have coordinated that with someone. It's also questionable why he believes that a young boy and girl are best suited to be the second line of defense against the Walkers.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Kopijeger posted:

Funny, that. When Reanimated Jon left Castle Black, it seemed like Edd was left in charge, and still is. Shouldn't they have a new election for the post of Lord Commander?

We wouldn't know if they haven't.

quote:

Shouldn't the old guy who commanded the Shadow Tower be the prime candidate considering he is more experienced that any of the guys left at Castle Black?

Well, the actor's dead, so the character might as well be too.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

Bobo the Red posted:

The reason is because that was how they wanted the scene to look for storytelling reasons, but there's a reasonable enough in-universe headsplaination if its bothering you:

It's an inhospitable rock unless you have the manpower logistics chain to keep it provisioned, and whoever may have been squatting there anyway took off when a fleet lead by three dragons was visible in the harbor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
After reading about how bad the episode was here, I watched it yesterday and kinda liked it. Not so bad, its cool mto see people finally getting after all that time, people finally arriving were they were supposed to be etc.

But Dany arrival at Dragonstone was kinda meh, why is the island completely deserted? Stannis went north, but there was supposed to be people living there, arent it? I wanted to see ordinary people reacting to her arrival, to the dragons etc, not her marching into an empty castle

And wtf is going on with the costumes? Its like the loving matrix all of a sudden

• Locked thread