Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.
I'm using the cheap LG freesync one and TBH I wouldn't recommend it for pure gaming - it looks great for general usage but black levels are terrible which is a pretty big deal in a lot of games.

Also it's only 60Hz of course and the freesync range is probably quite useless (dunno I have an Nvidia card anyway)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RedneckwithGuns
Mar 28, 2007

Up Next:
Fifteen Inches of
SHEER DYNAMITE

I already have an Acer X34 that I game on mostly, I really just want the 4k since my other secondary monitor is in serious need of an upgrade and there are a few games that still don't want to play nice with 3440x1440 resolution. I don't need something perfect but just something that works now and can play games passably while mostly being used for chrome and Netflix.

..btt
Mar 26, 2008
I use a 40" Samsung 4k tv for my secondary monitor, the UE6400 series. Supports 60hz, full colour over HDMI 2. Fantastic definition, perfectly usable as a monitor. Cost me around £350, though I might have got it on sale. Probably a bit large for you though.

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

tzirean posted:

I have a Dell S2340M monitor that I got three years ago in a "poo poo, my monitor just died, I need a new one" situation, and I'd like to get a second monitor. Should I get another S2340M...

...or is the answer to buy two of these, give my girlfriend my S2340M and be happier overall after I upgrade my video card?

EDIT: Or pay an extra $30/ea for two U2414Hs?

Having read through more of the thread and looked elsewhere, I think the actual answer is "my usage requirements are so low that it doesn't actually matter?"

von Braun
Oct 30, 2009

Broder Daniel Forever
I bought an Asus PG248Q for ~362 American dollars. Pretty WOW feeling going from a 10+ years LCD.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Paul MaudDib posted:

This is the one thing I will slam Dell on. Fix your loving DisplayPort board, it doesn't meet the spec and it's been wrong for years now. Or at least make it an option in the OSD to choose disconnected mode.
Unfortunately it's not actually wrong by the spec.

quote:

3.1.3.2 Hot Plug/Unplug Detection
One signal (HPD or Hot Plug Detect) is used to detect a Sink Device (or a downstream device) by the Source
Device (or an upstream device). Implementation of HPD is optional for an embedded link configuration. At
least a “trickle power” must be present both in the Source and Sink Devices for a Hot Plug event to be
detected.

Sink Devices must be ready for an AUX CH transaction whenever they assert (drive high) the HPD signal.
Even in power saving mode(s), a Sink Device that keeps its HPD signal asserted must be able to detect the
presence of an AUX CH differential signal input. The Sink Device must exit the power saving mode within
1ms of the differential signal being detected.
That's from the DP 1.1a spec, newer revisions don't seem to have been publicly released but I can't imagine that part has changed meaningfully.

All the spec requires as far as I read it is that if the sink is asserting HPD it's ready to talk to the source over the aux channel. I think that's the reason we have this crap happening, is the aux channel is more complicated than the old I2C-based link used in VGA, DVI, and HDMI. That could literally be implemented as an EEPROM as far as I'm aware.

With the increased attention on parasitic power consumption these days it wouldn't surprise me to find out that the component that controls the DP AUX channel draws more power than they wanted to have happening in an "off" state, so they make it turn off too. If the aux channel isn't there the hotplug signal must not be asserted, thus the monitor "disappears" as far as the computer is concerned if someone presses the power button rather than just letting the computer put it to sleep.

If I'm on the right track with that it's stupid but somewhat logical since I think there are regulations on parasitic draw in some places.

If that is the reason though they really should make it optional.

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

THE DARK SIDE OF SCIENCE BREEDS A WEAPON OF WAR

Buglord
Is there an online monitor database I can go to go find all available monitors at a given size and resolution? I'm looking for a 4k monitor and would like to see what brands/sizes are commercially available, but it's freaking impossible to find anything comprehensive.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

WAR DOGS OF SOCHI posted:

Is there an online monitor database I can go to go find all available monitors at a given size and resolution? I'm looking for a 4k monitor and would like to see what brands/sizes are commercially available, but it's freaking impossible to find anything comprehensive.

I'm not sure there's anything quite like you're describing. Besides newegg's category searching with filters, there's https://pcpartpicker.com/products/monitor/ for a non-comprehensive look, though.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

There's http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/selector.htm at least.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
Anyone have any opinion on the XR341CK other than "slower than the X34"? Seems like a decent compromise for FreeSync with an RX 480 if the price is right. A 480 isn't going to get too far past 75 Hz at 1440p anyway, and it does LFC so 40 fps lows in Witcher 3 ultra are no big deal. If you have a bigger case, RX 480 CF might be fairly cheap soon too.

Sweet jesus there are 38" 1600p IPS ultrawides now, like the Acer XR382CQK (currently $1100 on Amazon/Newegg). I have a powerful need for the 100 Hz GSync version of this, but right now I don't think AMD has the GPUs to drive it well.

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 02:42 on Jul 19, 2017

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

Paul MaudDib posted:

Anyone have any opinion on the XR341CK other than "slower than the X34"? Seems like a decent compromise for FreeSync with an RX 480 if the price is right. A 480 isn't going to get too far past 75 Hz at 1440p anyway, and it does LFC so 40 fps lows in Witcher 3 ultra are no big deal. If you have a bigger case, RX 480 CF might be fairly cheap soon too.

Sweet jesus there are 38" 1600p IPS ultrawides now, like the Acer XR382CQK (currently $1100 on Amazon/Newegg). I have a powerful need for the 100 Hz GSync version of this, but right now I don't think AMD has the GPUs to drive it well.

I have no complaints about my XR341CK other than that I'm on an NV card now. Whatever, it was an ultrawide for 600 when used x34s were going for hundreds more.

I used it for over a year with a 290, so a 480 would be a good match.

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

WAR DOGS OF SOCHI posted:

If you're from Europe, https://geizhals.eu/?cat=monlcd19wide is great. Plenty of filtering options.

wolrah posted:

If that is the reason though they really should make it optional.

This is how pretty much any monitor works, hence why Microsoft should add a toggle that stops Windows from acting like the monitor has been disconnected. It's been a common complaint for years, now.

Fame Douglas fucked around with this message at 08:57 on Jul 19, 2017

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

I used to turn off my monitors and get annoyed by this, but win10 will put monitors in standby after a minute if you lock the machine, so that solved my problem.

von Braun
Oct 30, 2009

Broder Daniel Forever
I have a new G-sync monitor, it's good. But I don't know if I should disable V-sync in the nVidia control panel or in games and just use the G-Sync? I don't fully understand. I thought G-sync sorta replaced V-sync in a way.

In, let's say, Overwatch I exceed the 144fps mark. Are these things I should be messing with in regards to input lag or whatever? Or does it not matter.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

von Braun posted:

I have a new G-sync monitor, it's good. But I don't know if I should disable V-sync in the nVidia control panel or in games and just use the G-Sync? I don't fully understand. I thought G-sync sorta replaced V-sync in a way.

In, let's say, Overwatch I exceed the 144fps mark. Are these things I should be messing with in regards to input lag or whatever? Or does it not matter.

I put gsync and vsync on in the nvidia control panel and off in the game, that keeps the game from rendering over the max refresh and avoids fuckery from the game engine. Of course YMMV, every game is different.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Fame Douglas posted:

This is how pretty much any monitor works, hence why Microsoft should add a toggle that stops Windows from acting like the monitor has been disconnected. It's been a common complaint for years, now.

Except it's not how every monitor works. There are plenty of monitors that do it right and signal connected as long as they have power. A popular brand (Dell) seems to get it wrong pretty consistently, but that's not representative of the market as a whole.

As far as the toggle you want, you can change the configuration of the default desktop somewhere in the registry and make it match your monitor, that way when your monitor disconnects the desktop size won't change and things won't be moved around.

I doubt Microsoft is going to add a toggle to disable hotplug detection just to handle the subset of users who have monitors that do stupid things AND insist on manually turning them off. The number of people who would accidentally flip this on their laptops when plugged in to a projector and then complain about how Windows keeps losing their mouse would almost certainly outweigh the people who would actually have a use for that functionality.

What's wrong with just putting the monitor to sleep? If it has a lovely implementation where it decides "off = disconnected", why does it need to be off? Since the PC is being left running in this scenario what's another few watts of standby power?

wolrah fucked around with this message at 16:43 on Jul 19, 2017

Sterling_Archer
May 10, 2012

"What do you mean we're not in compliance?"
What's the current best 2k gsync panel under $1,000? I'd like 27" or larger. My current Dell Ultrasharps are dying, the U2410 is on its last legs for sure.

Sterling_Archer fucked around with this message at 18:25 on Jul 19, 2017

eames
May 9, 2009

von Braun posted:

Blurbusters has a great article on this but it's a long one.

http://www.blurbusters.com/gsync/gsync101-input-lag/

TLDR: depends on your preferences.

1. Lowest input lag, lots of tearing: Gsync off, Vsync off, 300 FPS cap

2. Low input lag, very little tearing: Gsync on, Vsync off, FPS cap at refresh rate -3 (141 in your case).

3. Low input lag + 1ms, zero tearing ever: Gsync on, Nvidia Control Panel Vsync on, in-game Vsync off, FPS cap at refresh rate -3 (141 in your case).

I use the third variant in every game including Overwatch.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

eames fucked around with this message at 17:14 on Jul 19, 2017

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

wolrah posted:

Except it's not how every monitor works. There are plenty of monitors that do it right and signal connected as long as they have power. A popular brand (Dell) seems to get it wrong pretty consistently, but that's not representative of the market as a whole.

As far as the toggle you want, you can change the configuration of the default desktop somewhere in the registry and make it match your monitor, that way when your monitor disconnects the desktop size won't change and things won't be moved around.

I doubt Microsoft is going to add a toggle to disable hotplug detection just to handle the subset of users who have monitors that do stupid things AND insist on manually turning them off. The number of people who would accidentally flip this on their laptops when plugged in to a projector and then complain about how Windows keeps losing their mouse would almost certainly outweigh the people who would actually have a use for that functionality.

What's wrong with just putting the monitor to sleep? If it has a lovely implementation where it decides "off = disconnected", why does it need to be off? Since the PC is being left running in this scenario what's another few watts of standby power?

Yeah, but it's probably how the majority of monitors work.

They don't need a toggle, just a registry setting.

von Braun
Oct 30, 2009

Broder Daniel Forever

eames posted:

Blurbusters has a great article on this but it's a long one.

http://www.blurbusters.com/gsync/gsync101-input-lag/

TLDR: depends on your preferences.

1. Lowest input lag, lots of tearing: Gsync off, Vsync off, 300 FPS cap

2. Low input lag, very little tearing: Gsync on, Vsync off, FPS cap at refresh rate -3 (141 in your case).

3. Low input lag + 1ms, zero tearing ever: Gsync on, Nvidia Control Panel Vsync on, in-game Vsync off, FPS cap at refresh rate -3 (141 in your case).

I use the third variant in every game including Overwatch.

Thanks for this. I tried the third option and it went well (got a POTG with Ana :)). I hate tearing but I'll try the first one tomorrow to see if I can notice anything.

What does turning V-Sync off in Windows do compared to in-game? Or is tearing a thing in Windows as well?

ThatOneGuy
Jul 26, 2001

Revolutionary Taste.

Sterling_Archer posted:

What's the current best 2k gsync panel under $1,000? I'd like 27" or larger. My current Dell Ultrasharps are dying, the U2410 is on its last legs for sure.

Others will chime in, but the Acer XB271HU is the popular choice. 1440p, 144-165Hz, g-sync, IPS, 27".

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
WELP. My AcerRecertified XB270HU from ~1 year ago has started flickering at 144 Hz. Definitely the monitor, tried a different GPU and cable. At first it was just an intermittent problem, now it's happening regularly. Happens regardless of GSync mode, but it still works at 120 Hz. For now. Guess I better start planning my replacement, and I don't think I'll be able to pass it to my GF for long at all.

At this point I want a warranty and I'm thinking I buy a new X34 to replace it (~$960 at Microcenter with the $100 student discount). A 38" 1600p 100 Hz UW with GSync sounds awesome and would probably be worth a couple hundred extra bucks but not $2000 (FreeSync 75 Hz versions are at $1100, so let's say $1500 for a premium 100 Hz monitor with GSync).

Without the XB270HU to pass to my GF I'll need to figure out a plan B. She has no space for an UW and she is concerned about the curve and art/CAD stuff, but the XF270HU-for-$400 deal at Microcenter is sounding pretty good for her right now. 27" is about all she can comfortably fit anyway, and a 480 is still a viable low-end card for 1440p. I think in theory she might be a candidate for a 24" monitor, but that would mean a choice between IPS and GSync/FreeSync+LFC. Either way sucks, IPS (and higher-than-1080p resolution) is a major point for the photo stuff and it's going to be a lot tougher to fit workable poo poo into her space/heat/noise constraints without *Sync and LFC support.

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 20:09 on Jul 20, 2017

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

Paul MaudDib posted:

They just need to refresh it with a 100Hz+ panel and gsync and I'm sold. Moving from 2560x1600 to x1440 isn't going to happen. The 34" monitors just feel too small conpared to 38".

Fruit Chewy
Feb 13, 2012
join whole squid
"this 34" monitor feels too small" said absolutely no-one

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

Fruit Chewy posted:

The 34" monitors feel smaller than old 30" 2560x1600 monitors 😬 Maybe it's because they are not as tall?

3440*.233 & 1440*.233 = 80x33,6cm
2560*.2505 & 1600*.2505 = 64x40cm

The screen area is a little bit smaller on the 30" but I can't go back to a lower vertical res screen, no matter what. If I pay over $1000 from a screen, upgrade must feel like an actual upgrade, not a sidegrade.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Fruit Chewy posted:

Ultrawides are a good start for a multimonitor setup, but there's definitely room for more real estate.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness

xthetenth posted:

Ultrawides are a good start for a multimonitor setup, but there's definitely room for more real estate.

I have a 27+34+27 setup and could still probably benefit from another 27 above the 34.

Screen real-estate is addictive.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

DrDork posted:

I have a 27+34+27 setup and could still probably benefit from another 27 above the 34.

:same:

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
Look at that... I had a stuck pixel on my XB271HU for nearly a year. It got unstuck somewhen over the last week or two. I guess I finally won the panel lottery entirely, a year late, because both of mine of the same model have minimal glow and no BLB.

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

I have deliberately avoided looking for stuck pixels or backlight bleed. Ignorance is bliss

fletcher
Jun 27, 2003

ken park is my favorite movie

Cybernetic Crumb
Why do they bother with built in speakers on a monitor like the Asus PG279Q?

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

fletcher posted:

Why do they bother with built in speakers on a monitor like the Asus PG279Q?

Because it's a checkbox that will cost them a few points with some reviewers. Nobody expects them to sound good, not even reviewers. It's pretty much impossible to make good bass from a speaker that's less than a half inch deep - and I don't mean "doesn't compete with audiophile speakers" here, I mean like "there's no output below 2 KHz or so". Everyone who cares will use separate speakers/a soundbar/headphones.

They are maybe better than laptop speakers. Maybe.

Other than that their only virtue is "better than nothing I guess".

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
Not sure this is the right place to post this but here it is: I have a 4k Samsung TV that I use as a monitor. Had it hooked up via HDMI 2.0. Problem is when the display gets turned off Windows thinks I disconnected the thing entirely and resets the resolution to 800x600 and also smashes all my open windows to the upper left resized at 800x600. REALLY annoying.

I ended up getting an active Display Port to HDMI 2.0 adapter which works fine. I thought maybe it would prevent Windows from thinking the TV was disconnected when off.. no go until I found a tidbit on a forum somewhere:

"Try this.
Go to Control Panel, Power Options, Edit the plan you use by clicking Change Plan Settings, once here click Change Advanced Power Settings. Once there, go to USB Settings, open the menu by clicking the + open the next menu named USB Selective Suspend Setting and disable it. Once this is disabled Windows 7 will no longer adjust your display setup when a display is turned off."

And what the hell, it actually worked. Only with Displayport mind you.

Fruit Chewy
Feb 13, 2012
join whole squid

Paul MaudDib posted:

Because it's a checkbox that will cost them a few points with some reviewers. Nobody expects them to sound good, not even reviewers. It's pretty much impossible to make good bass from a speaker that's less than a half inch deep - and I don't mean "doesn't compete with audiophile speakers" here, I mean like "there's no output below 2 KHz or so". Everyone who cares will use separate speakers/a soundbar/headphones.

They are maybe better than laptop speakers. Maybe.

Other than that their only virtue is "better than nothing I guess".

I very occasionally will flip my audio to my x34 speakers if I'm trying to show someone something because otherwise I use nice headphones. They're the best monitor speakers I've heard which says very little.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Fruit Chewy posted:

I very occasionally will flip my audio to my x34 speakers if I'm trying to show someone something because otherwise I use nice headphones. They're the best monitor speakers I've heard which says very little.

You don't have speakers in your room/office/den/whatever? I use headphones when I'm gaming but I like speakers for music when I'm working at my desk or in the room.

You can pick up a lovely Chinese class-T speaker amp and some low-end bookshelf speakers for almost nothing. Nice thing about doing that is you can make the speaker cables to length, so you can position them however you want.

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 02:33 on Jul 21, 2017

Fruit Chewy
Feb 13, 2012
join whole squid

Paul MaudDib posted:

You don't have speakers in your room/office/den/whatever? I use headphones when I'm gaming but I like speakers for music when I'm working at my desk or in the room.

You can pick up a lovely Chinese class-T speaker amp and some low-end bookshelf speakers for almost nothing. Nice thing about doing that is you can make the speaker cables to length, so you can position them however you want.

I have the class-t amp and cheap bookshelf speakers setup 4 feet to my right hooked up to my TV so I just chromecast music to it.

GenericGirlName
Apr 10, 2012

Why did you post that?
Hey again thread. I don't know if this is the best place to ask this but; I have an old but reliable monitor (Dell E248WFP) which I want to re-purpose as a temporary TV of sorts. However I suddenly discovered that I'm missing the power cable for it. Its one of those standard cables. I want to buy a handful of replacements off monoprice since I also seem to be missing it for an old computer (same cable) and I love drowning in a sea of uncessary cables. Problem; when I go on monoprice I see 3 options 14, 16, and 18 AWG. I can't find which is the one for the dell monitor, but I suspect it doesn't matter very much? Any advice would be appreciated...

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

GenericGirlName posted:

Hey again thread. I don't know if this is the best place to ask this but; I have an old but reliable monitor (Dell E248WFP) which I want to re-purpose as a temporary TV of sorts. However I suddenly discovered that I'm missing the power cable for it. Its one of those standard cables. I want to buy a handful of replacements off monoprice since I also seem to be missing it for an old computer (same cable) and I love drowning in a sea of uncessary cables. Problem; when I go on monoprice I see 3 options 14, 16, and 18 AWG. I can't find which is the one for the dell monitor, but I suspect it doesn't matter very much? Any advice would be appreciated...

The thicker cables (lower AWG numbers) can handle more power (https://www.powerstream.com/Wire_Size.htm). For your monitor the 18 AWG should be fine, for the PC I'd get 16 or 14 if it may use a lot of power.

Rabid Snake
Aug 6, 2004

DrDork posted:

I had a 27 alongside my 34 but it felt like too much. I can't imagine two 27s

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GenericGirlName
Apr 10, 2012

Why did you post that?

Rexxed posted:

The thicker cables (lower AWG numbers) can handle more power (https://www.powerstream.com/Wire_Size.htm). For your monitor the 18 AWG should be fine, for the PC I'd get 16 or 14 if it may use a lot of power.

Thanks! It is a low end pc that was assembled in 2012~ so I guess 16 should be fine.