Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

You may be joking, but some kind of world-eating Dark Side machine planet waking up and going all Galactus might be a pretty cool Star Wars campaign

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MadDogMike
Apr 9, 2008

Cute but fanged

Lemniscate Blue posted:

You may be joking, but some kind of world-eating Dark Side machine planet waking up and going all Galactus might be a pretty cool Star Wars campaign

Bonus points if it was just hanging back from attacking known space until the Death Star(s) were destroyed out of self preservation.

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

That also sets up an interesting alternate origin for the World Devastators, if the Empire managed to defeat the thing and reverse engineer its munching mechanism.

Maybe the thing could be an Abominor, following Zonama Sekot across dark space and trying to devour it specifically.

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

Robot Style posted:

Does anyone have any suggestions for weird, dangerous things that could be lurking in the Unknown Regions? One of my players has been offered an ongoing job of uncovering the nature of the mysterious threat that Thrawn joined the Empire to defeat, but I haven't decided what that should be yet (I don't really want to introduce the Yuuzhan Vong or whatever Snoke stuff they're hinting at now).

Maybe something anti-climactic like Waru, or even some sort of impending environmental disaster without actual malicious intent?

How big would you want to go? Because some kind of body snatching parasite thing could scale to be as big or as small a threat as you wanted. Imagine something like that fungus that mind controls ants, it just subtly alters the infected person's behavior to guide it toward the goals of the fungus (core, hive mind, whatever). One person infected can't do much, as they're mostly still the same person that they were before, though sometimes they do things they later rationalize away ("I was always going to buy a blaster rifle" "I must have zoned out there for a second at the controls, my bad" etc.), but dozens or hundreds of people all acting in semi-concert can produce very dramatic effects.

Now imagine of this synchronicity fungus were to get on board an imperial star destroyer. I mean, your rebel plan was to get captured on purpose anyway, right?

Lorak
Apr 7, 2009

Well, there goes the Hall of Fame...

8one6 posted:

How big would you want to go? Because some kind of body snatching parasite thing could scale to be as big or as small a threat as you wanted. Imagine something like that fungus that mind controls ants, it just subtly alters the infected person's behavior to guide it toward the goals of the fungus (core, hive mind, whatever). One person infected can't do much, as they're mostly still the same person that they were before, though sometimes they do things they later rationalize away ("I was always going to buy a blaster rifle" "I must have zoned out there for a second at the controls, my bad" etc.), but dozens or hundreds of people all acting in semi-concert can produce very dramatic effects.

Now imagine of this synchronicity fungus were to get on board an imperial star destroyer. I mean, your rebel plan was to get captured on purpose anyway, right?
Did somebody say "brain worms"?

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund

MadDogMike posted:

Bonus points if it was just hanging back from attacking known space until the Death Star(s) were destroyed out of self preservation.

The Emperor was a misunderstood savior.

Now they'll all be sorry. :argh:

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

Lorak posted:

Did somebody say "brain worms"?

drat you extended universe!! :argh:

(Seriously, how did I forget something from Clone Wars?)

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

Robot Style posted:

One of my players has been offered an ongoing job of uncovering the nature of the mysterious threat that Thrawn joined the Empire to defeat, but I haven't decided what that should be yet (I don't really want to introduce the Yuuzhan Vong or whatever Snoke stuff they're hinting at now).

But wasn't the threat that Thrawn joined the Empire to defeat actually the Yuuzhan Vong?

I've not kept up on NewCanon at all, have they gone into Thrawn's backstory and revised it yet, or did they just toss the Legends fan a bone by including Thrawn in Rebels with minimal backstory?

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

Drone posted:

But wasn't the threat that Thrawn joined the Empire to defeat actually the Yuuzhan Vong?

I've not kept up on NewCanon at all, have they gone into Thrawn's backstory and revised it yet, or did they just toss the Legends fan a bone by including Thrawn in Rebels with minimal backstory?

Thrawns new backstory is hes helping the back guys because hes a bad guy and not secretly a good guy.

Iceclaw
Nov 4, 2009

Fa la lanky down dilly, motherfuckers.
Ah, yes, the notion that the Empire is some kind of gambit to "make the galaxy thougher" to resist their invasion", the crown jewel of EU silliness. Empire fanboys ruin everything.

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011

Iceclaw posted:

Ah, yes, the notion that the Empire is some kind of gambit to "make the galaxy thougher" to resist their invasion", the crown jewel of EU silliness. Empire fanboys ruin everything.

Look man fascism is a hell of a drug. We cannot hold it against those that enjoy the trappings of fascism in an ironic fashion, but we can blame idiots for trying to have their fascist cake and "Just Following Orders" too.

ImpactVector
Feb 24, 2007

HAHAHAHA FOOLS!!
I AM SO SMART!

Uh oh. What did he do now?

Nap Ghost

karmicknight posted:

We cannot hold it against those that enjoy the trappings of fascism in an ironic fashion
Says who?

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Iceclaw posted:

This is like an abusive father's excuse for why he beats his kids while drunk.

Iceclaw
Nov 4, 2009

Fa la lanky down dilly, motherfuckers.
And it used to be the reason why Thrawn and freaking Palpatine supported the Empire. That's kind of why I'm not too hard on the prequels: because the EU had bit that were far, far worse.

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

Drone posted:

I haven't read the book, but apparently the Thrawn novel establishes that there's something spooky in the Unknown Regions that Thrawn is trying to fight. Instead of the Vong, the new canon had been hinting that it's the source of the Dark Side. The Empire heads out to find it after they're defeated at Jakku, and reappears a little while later led by Snoke.

PupsOfWar
Dec 6, 2013

Robot Style posted:

Does anyone have any suggestions for weird, dangerous things that could be lurking in the Unknown Regions? One of my players has been offered an ongoing job of uncovering the nature of the mysterious threat that Thrawn joined the Empire to defeat, but I haven't decided what that should be yet (I don't really want to introduce the Yuuzhan Vong or whatever Snoke stuff they're hinting at now).

Maybe something anti-climactic like Waru, or even some sort of impending environmental disaster without actual malicious intent?

Silentium :getin:

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

Robot Style posted:

the new canon had been hinting that it's the source of the Dark Side

Ah okay, glad to see Disney traded one lovely expanded universe for an equally lovely one then.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

Drone posted:

Ah okay, glad to see Disney traded one lovely expanded universe for an equally lovely one then.

I mean, it's probably not literally going to be that. It's more likely that Snoke was just so strong in the Dark Side that he was blipping on their radar like crazy and they felt they hit the motherlode.

Slab Squatthrust
Jun 3, 2008

This is mutiny!
I'm totes fine with Thrawn et al joining the Empire to defeat a larger threat. People make terrible decisions without concern for consequences all the time. Defeating a threat while trampling wholesale over the Galaxy's lives is still a great story for a bad guy, without really any redemption for them. Especially if the good guys then win later on (as happened with the Vong) without being fascist assholes the whole time. Evil people making unnecessary sacrifices in the name of the greater good is a freaking trope, it's not "empire fanboys" or whatever.

Tldr: cool motive, still murder.

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

Covok posted:

I mean, it's probably not literally going to be that. It's more likely that Snoke was just so strong in the Dark Side that he was blipping on their radar like crazy and they felt they hit the motherlode.

Yeah, the mentions of it are pretty "I know a guy who knows a guy who thinks this".

Star Wars: Aftermath posted:

“No Sith remain,” Tashu says. “And the lone Jedi that exists—the son of Anakin Skywalker —possesses an untouchable soul. At least for now. We must instead move toward the dark side. Palpatine felt that the universe beyond the edges of our maps was where his power came from. Over the many years he, with our aid, sent men and women beyond known space. They built labs and communication stations on distant moons, asteroids, out there in the wilds. We must follow them. Retreat from the galaxy. Go out beyond the veil of stars. We must seek the source of the dark side like a man looking for a wellspring of water.”

Devlan Mud
Apr 10, 2006

I'll hear your stories when we come back, alright?
Do any of the FFG publications go into any more depth on the Corporate Sector beyond the page or two in the Edge rulebook? I'm mulling over campaign ideas, and I'd like it to be a major set piece, if not the full-time setting.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

WEG D6 had a sourcebook for it but I don't believe FFG has gotten there yet

Arcturas
Mar 30, 2011

Grab the WEG D6 sourcebook and layer in any cyberpunk source material you want (Shadowrun, Stephenson/Gibson, whatever).

FuriousAngle
May 14, 2006

See your face upon the clean water. How dirty! Come! Wash your face!
How does everyone handle minion mobs?

I was under the impression that unless you had an AoE or multishot weapon you couldn't take out more than one minion in a group at a time but I've heard I'm mistaken on that one. I can see in melee a really good attack you could maybe say the attacker just managed to stab/hack/slice another minion next to his buddy, but what about with weapons? Do you guys just say "Oh your blaster managed to fire one extra time and took out the next minion in line"?

Furthermore, how does Blast work with minions? Is the blast damage (less the minion soak) multiplied by the number of minions in the group applied to the Stress Threshold and compared to see how many minions got taken out?

And how does autofire and dual-wielding blasters work against minions?

Savidudeosoo
Feb 12, 2016

Pelican, a Bag Man

FuriousAngle posted:

I was under the impression that unless you had an AoE or multishot weapon you couldn't take out more than one minion in a group at a time but I've heard I'm mistaken on that one. I can see in melee a really good attack you could maybe say the attacker just managed to stab/hack/slice another minion next to his buddy, but what about with weapons? Do you guys just say "Oh your blaster managed to fire one extra time and took out the next minion in line"?

Furthermore, how does Blast work with minions? Is the blast damage (less the minion soak) multiplied by the number of minions in the group applied to the Stress Threshold and compared to see how many minions got taken out?

Each attack roll represents a flurry of attacks. You're not just firing once or taking a single swing with your vibroaxe, you're exchanging several hits backs and forth.

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

FuriousAngle posted:

It's always important to remember that your turn in this game represents roughly a minute of time. It's never one attack but the culmination of everything you're doing in a minute. A person making a ranged (light) skill check in a combat is actually firing several salvos, ducking behind cover to avoid incoming shots, returning fire etc.

In terms of minions with blast. The initial attack his minions, reduce by soak and deals damage. Apply blast means every minion in that group gets hit, applies soak to the damage, then adds up all the left over damage and deals it to the minion group.

A grenade his the stormtrooper squad (of 5 members, with 5 soak and 5 wounds) for 8 damage and has blast 7. The initial damage is 3 (8-5 soak) and the squad takes 3 damage (3/25 total health pool). Each squad member is hit by the blast taking 2 (7 - 5 soak) damage each for a total of 10. The squad then takes another 10 damage. (13/25 total meaning two squad members die reducing the health pool to 3/15).

Autofire and dual-wielding are individual attacks so you apply soak to each hit and then drill down through the group's health, removing squad members as needed.

kingcom fucked around with this message at 08:00 on Aug 2, 2017

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

Each round lasts up to a minute. You can easily count several attacks as one versus minions, and if you don't they get surprisingly beefy because then you need to make 5 separate attacks to take out the entire group essentially. Only count them once for blast though, they are one mob on the map, not several.

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

nothing to seehere posted:

Each round lasts up to a minute. You can easily count several attacks as one versus minions, and if you don't they get surprisingly beefy because then you need to make 5 separate attacks to take out the entire group essentially. Only count them once for blast though, they are one mob on the map, not several.

Nah the devs have straight said all of them get hit by the blast individually. Blast weapons decimate minion groups.

EDIT: It also excuses why so many weapons have a super low blast quality to them.

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

Huh, wasn't aware of that. Fair enough.

ButtWolf
Dec 30, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Very new, Super confused about Force Powers.

If a character has a FR 1, then they roll 1 force die. 2 light side treated like a critical? Can you just use force powers infinitely? I was buzzed when reading it, so maybe thats the problem.

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

If they roll two light side pips they can use more than one pop on the power, if the power allows it. See how for move, the "base" power is to move a size 0 object in short range. If you get extra pips and have bought the upgrade to use them, you can spend two pips to move it to medium range instead, or move a size 1 object.

Crumbletron
Jul 21, 2006

IT'S YOUR BOY JESUS, MANE
There's no mana pool equivalent if that's what you're asking. You roll your force die and can either use the power or not. Sometimes you can't depending on the results (ie you're out of DPs and strain, and rolled your opposite alignment). The only way to not be able to roll for them at all is if you've committed your dice to a power, in which case you're already getting something out of it.

FuriousAngle
May 14, 2006

See your face upon the clean water. How dirty! Come! Wash your face!
Thanks to everyone who answered my question about minion mobs! I think I've got it now (the turn as one-minute is a little difficult to wrap my head around, but that's RAW so it is what it is).

Savidudeosoo
Feb 12, 2016

Pelican, a Bag Man
Think of it not as tactical combat but as cinematic combat, since that's one of the core ideas behind the system.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

I had completely forgotten that a combat round is supposed to be about a minute long, despite knowing that the minion system was explicitly designed to make combat feel more cinematic and Star Wars-y. In a recent session I had a player who rolled enough damage to kill two minions in one shot, and it would have helped to remember that when I tried to describe the cinema action... instead I was just like "uhh, your blaster rifle shot cored one dude and then hit the guy standing behind him"

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
poo poo my PCs have been making shots that kill 2-3 minions all the time

I didn't know the scale so i would make up poo poo that one shot kills like 4 people

Savidudeosoo
Feb 12, 2016

Pelican, a Bag Man
How were you guys dealing with 1 advantage crit builds? Those guys can not entire minion groups in one go.

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Savidudeosoo posted:

How were you guys dealing with 1 advantage crit builds? Those guys can not entire minion groups in one go.

I said poo poo like

"You hit a grenade on the stormtroopers belt and the squad gets vaporized"

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

FuriousAngle posted:

Thanks to everyone who answered my question about minion mobs! I think I've got it now (the turn as one-minute is a little difficult to wrap my head around, but that's RAW so it is what it is).

A way to think of it that might help is that you probably notice combat is very quick and lethal. It's over in only a few rounds for the most part. It's basically taking 2-3 turns of d&d style 'I attack, then you attack' and merging that all into one giant check. Its to give you lots of leeway with describing what happens and how it happens since you're combining multiple D&D style rounds into one check.

Savidudeosoo posted:

I don't think you can trigger multiple crits in a turn. Generating a crit on a minion group will just kill one member off the bat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VoidTek
Jul 30, 2002

HAPPYELF WAS RIGHT
Yeah, activating a weapon's critical multiple times in one attack just increases the severity of the injury roll, it doesn't actually give you multiple crits, so you'll still need to be dealing a crazy amount of damage in one round to wipe the whole group (still pretty easy with the right setup).

Where killing multiple minions in one round has gotten a bit weird in my experience is when dealing with melee or brawl checks on a pack that's all spread out. Uh, you hit that greedo so hard that his buddy on the other side of the cantina shits himself into unconsciousness from sheer terror? Usually when it comes up for my droid I'll just say that he moved really fast just pingponging from one guy to the next then back again, or that he finished the first minion and chucked him across the room at the other.