Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
darkhand
Jan 18, 2010

This beard just won't do!
Armor is weird in dragons dogma because it removes a fixed amount of damage.
Like you have 95 armor and enemy does 100 damage, you only take 5 damage. But if another enemy comes up and does 120 damage, you'll take 25 and it's like you're take 5x more damage.
The 2 handed bandits are no joke either

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

It's not a ghost, but probably a 'living corpse'. The 'living dead' with a hell of a lot of bloodlust...

darkhand posted:

The 2 handed bandits are no joke either

This was my guess originally.

Justin_Brett posted:

That ogre in the catacombs. Like I assume you're just supposed to run past them all, but it wasn't like I was gonna head back there at the end of the game just to kill this one guy.

Ogres kind of suck, and they get extra sucky if you have any female characters in your party. Like if you're not careful they can instant kill you with their jumpkick, backdrop, grab... the only thing I can say is that the game has a bit of a reverse difficulty curve and the further you get, the less of a problem most things become.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

Carry skulls with you and toss them at big enemies.

Alternatively, gift skulls to random citizens.

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

It's not a ghost, but probably a 'living corpse'. The 'living dead' with a hell of a lot of bloodlust...
Pick up the notice board quest for killing x amount of skeletons, which rewards you by instantly dumping 50 skulls into your inventory to encumber you

Random Asshole
Nov 8, 2010

The White Dragon posted:

but if you do get prey, get a new gpu, too. my 2gb 970 is no longer sufficient, textures are unable to load after leaving the tutorial area :(

Funny, my 970 runs it pretty drat well.

Oh well, it's not like I'm an expert or anything.

VV: Yep, that's probably what it is.

Random Asshole fucked around with this message at 09:10 on Jul 18, 2017

Jamfrost
Jul 20, 2013

I'm too busy thinkin' about my baby. Oh I ain't got time for nothin' else.
Slime TrainerS

Random rear end in a top hat posted:

Funny, my 970 runs it pretty drat well.

Oh well, it's not like I'm an expert or anything.

Is yours a 4GB version?

BirdOfPlay
Feb 19, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER
What I'm hearing is that my 9750 ain't gonna cut it.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

A sad GTX 680 seems to handle Prey fine.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
I tried it on a 950 and it runs just fine. You're gonna have to go low on configs, but it's not too bad.

Madoushi
May 9, 2003

Some days, you just get up on the wrong side of the bed...

Justin_Brett posted:

That ogre in the catacombs. Like I assume you're just supposed to run past them all, but it wasn't like I was gonna head back there at the end of the game just to kill this one guy.

Try standing on the edge of the staircase, if you're lucky he'll go over and die of fall damage.

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer

QuarkJets posted:

have you ever seen the quest to incapacitate Dahl and remove his neuromods? If you take out his named operator outside of the station and go to the arboretum to meet Alex, then Dahl shows up outside of Alex's safe room and a timer begins; at this point you have to either kill or incapacitate Dahl or else he will kill Alex. The Dahl quest then won't proceed until you talk to Alex and trigger the arrival of the apex typhon. When that happens, the quest updates and says you have to move Dahl's unconscious, floating body through the low-grav environment down to the medical bay right outside of the lobby entrance. If you do this, then he will be moved to Neuromods

Oh yeah, i incapacitated him in every playthrough. The first time in the arboretum like you mentioned, the second time he was in the office in Shuttle Bay, the third time was in Atmos, i think.
Still, i never had to lug him anywhere. Igwe always said something like "I'll go and fetch him, come back later".

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Palpek posted:

Yeah, the entire Dahl sequence has all sorts of branching choices (not mentioning the additional dozens of little consequences). The crew-negotiations scenario alone has like 3 different ways it can go down. It's an amazing, amazing game for people who dig its strengths. As I kept saying at the game's release - if you're into System Shock titles for the flexibility of gameplay and choices they offer then you need to get Prey.
Wait, Prey has actual surviving people you can interact with as anything other than a voice giving instructions / targets?

Wow, it really is innovating on survival gameplay.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

^^^ Yup, there are a number of them. Also, you're a brilliant scientist, and so are most of the people on the space station. It's like if Half-Life and System Shock had a baby

One of the survivors turns out to be a psychopath who, if you let him live, will randomly taunt you and leave booby-traps at locations on the space station that he thinks you'll visit/use.

HenryEx posted:

Oh yeah, i incapacitated him in every playthrough. The first time in the arboretum like you mentioned, the second time he was in the office in Shuttle Bay, the third time was in Atmos, i think.
Still, i never had to lug him anywhere. Igwe always said something like "I'll go and fetch him, come back later".

Yeah... Igwe told me that I had to move him to the Arboretum medbay and that he'd send an operator to transport him from there. And so that's what the mission objectives showed, with a little indicator on Dahl's floating, unconscious body (SAVE DAHL) and a little indicator inside of the medbay (SAVE DAHL). I think because it would be unrealistic for Igwe to go fetch Dahl by that point (you're able to trigger a very big event in the Arboretum) the game has you move him to medbay manually, but you can only realistically do that once the Arboretum goes zero-g

QuarkJets fucked around with this message at 11:45 on Jul 18, 2017

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

QuarkJets posted:

^^^ Yup, there are a number of them. Also, you're a brilliant scientist, and so are most of the people on the space station. It's like if Half-Life and System Shock had a baby

Yeah, he didn't tell me that he'd go fetch him; he said I had to move him to the Arboretum medbay and that he'd send an operator to transport him from there.

I take exception to the term "scientist". The player character is a Space Wizard. :colbert:

I think the variation is explained by which end-game objective you tackle first.

double nine fucked around with this message at 13:26 on Jul 18, 2017

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Xander77 posted:

Wait, Prey has actual surviving people you can interact with as anything other than a voice giving instructions / targets?

Wow, it really is innovating on survival gameplay.
You can destroy your tutorial/aid bot the moment you meet it the first time, get a note off the wreckage and move on with the story that way.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

Literally everyone you meet can be killed. Which is why some characters go out of their way to stay hidden.

bonds0097
Oct 23, 2010

I would cry but I don't think I can spare the moisture.
Pillbug
Prey is definitely my favorite game of 2017, I loved it. It had such a strong sense of place too.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

double nine posted:

Literally everyone you meet can be killed. Which is why some characters go out of their way to stay hidden.
Yeah, I played Fallout: NV. I'm more amazed that someone actually dared to have a horror / survival game in which you can interact with other characters outside the prologue / cutscenes. Everyone are so terrified of their precious "but how will you feel threatened if you're not all alone on a hostile space station? After all, Alien and Aliens were both about a lone protago... oh wait".

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012
With Xenonauts 2 coming out soonish (There's a demo up), what are some good Xenonauts 1 mods? There's a bunch of stuff on the workshop but it looks like it's all the I've-Been-Playing-Since-Launch Super Mod stuff.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Xander77 posted:

Yeah, I played Fallout: NV. I'm more amazed that someone actually dared to have a horror / survival game in which you can interact with other characters outside the prologue / cutscenes. Everyone are so terrified of their precious "but how will you feel threatened if you're not all alone on a hostile space station? After all, Alien and Aliens were both about a lone protago... oh wait".

Is Half-Life a horror/survival game? Cause it feels more like Half-Life as far as that goes.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

I'd like to ask you people to spoiler tag plot/mission details when talking about Prey especially that this isn't the game's thread and you seem to want to encourage new people to play it.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
In Steam Comedy News: Interplay (or the folks wearing the skin of their corpse, anyway) have recently been shovelling out all the old Redneck Rampage games onto Steam with DOSbox wrappers of varying configuration quality in a bid to make a buck or two. The most recent of these releases, a terrible shovelware spin-off called Redneck Deer Huntin', for some reason had a copy of Redneck Rampage Rides Again (a separate game also being sold on Steam and GOG) included. It seems like Interplay have tried to remove it in a patch, but have instead added a GOG copy of Battle Chess, an entirely unrelated game by the same publisher, in instead. So now there's two free games packed in instead of one!

(Not my screenshot. Highlighted files are the Battle Chess ones.)

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

It slowly dawned on all of us that all the expansions to Talisman do is make the game take twice as long. Almost nothing's actually good or better than in the base game.

We also got the ending where you have to kill Satan and realized that when we selected random characters two of us got characters that have zero chance of ever winning since they do the wrong kind of combat. I still love this terrible game.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

Synthbuttrange posted:

There's QWOP.

Anti-walking simulator: https://jayisgames.com/games/you-have-no-legs/ (enable flash)

QWOP is arguably its own genre. Octodad, Surgeon Simulator, I Am Bread, and Manual Sumuel are all QWOP-likes.

Orv
May 4, 2011

RBA Starblade posted:

It slowly dawned on all of us that all the expansions to Talisman do is make the game take twice as long. Almost nothing's actually good or better than in the base game.

We also got the ending where you have to kill Satan and realized that when we selected random characters two of us got characters that have zero chance of ever winning since they do the wrong kind of combat. I still love this terrible game.

Talisman is bad all the way down.

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

deadly_pudding posted:

QWOP is arguably its own genre. Octodad, Surgeon Simulator, I Am Bread, and Manual Sumuel are all QWOP-likes.

Octodad is more of a dad simulator like nier and probably some other games I can't think of right now

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Orv posted:

Talisman is bad all the way down.

Extremely, but it's hilarious anyway. It's Crab Mentality the Game.

Ikari Worrier
Jul 23, 2004

Dinosaur Gum

deadly_pudding posted:

I saw someone refer to games like that as "fumblecore" and that's such a funny term that as far as I'm concerned it's the official genre name

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
President, Founder of the Brent Spiner Fan Club

Ikari Worrier posted:

I saw someone refer to games like that as "fumblecore" and that's such a funny term that as far as I'm concerned it's the official genre name

Which I guess is a take on "mumblecore" which uh, was a take on...um...anyway, all these silly names loving piss me off.

Turd Herder
May 21, 2008

BALLCOCK BALLCOCK BALLCOCK BALLCOCK
Anyone tried Yonder The Cloud Catcher Chronicles?

It looks like an animal crossing meets stardew valley. I am really on the fence about this one.

Killed By Death
Jun 29, 2013

NoneMoreNegative posted:

oh man Ravens Cry is on sale almost enough to tempt me, it's been on my euro-jank-radar for ages and I figured if I thoroughly enjoyed the two Two Worlds games this might just do for me :o:

http://store.steampowered.com/app/386280/Vendetta__Curse_of_Ravens_Cry/
I was about to buy this and then I saw that even with a -65% sale it's still over £10 wtf

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

It also seems to crash a lot going by the forums.

Steam's right, though

"This game doesn't look like other things you've played in the past."

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

I always kind of want to play those games that are said to be that bad because I kind of want to see if they are that bad. You only ever see the videos of people deliberately trying to bug it out, just not caring, or the edited together footage of many actual hours and can't help but wonder if I went in trying to actually play the game, not entertain people on Youtube, what it would actually be like.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Kibayasu posted:

I always kind of want to play those games that are said to be that bad because I kind of want to see if they are that bad. You only ever see the videos of people deliberately trying to bug it out, just not caring, or the edited together footage of many actual hours and can't help but wonder if I went in trying to actually play the game, not entertain people on Youtube, what it would actually be like.

In this case, Raven's Cry is actually as bad as people say. Eurojank is being nice to it, almost too nice, in the face of what a tremendous shitshow it is.

basalt
Jan 11, 2015

Playing Future Unfolding has me thinking that a game about being a wandering shepherd, herding your flock across the landscape, could be really lovely.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

Kibayasu posted:

This state of wonder where you think "hmm what if" is the most fun you're going to have with these games, don't go any further. In the end it comes down to boredom, there is no great revelation waiting for you, just disappontment. Those people on youtube are actually more entertaining than the game itself. There are some exceptions to this but not many.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Palpek posted:

There are some exceptions to this but not many.
We call this "the EYE syndrome".

e: Raven's Cry is genuinely horrible and I say that as someone who enjoyed Two Worlds and considers Necrovision a legitimately great shooter.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

What kind of a game is Enslaved: Odyssey to the West? I've always been intrigued by it but I can't tell if it's more like an Uncharted/Tomb Raider or more like RE5 with stone age technology. Do you play as both characters, or just one?

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

exquisite tea posted:

What kind of a game is Enslaved: Odyssey to the West? I've always been intrigued by it but I can't tell if it's more like an Uncharted/Tomb Raider or more like RE5 with stone age technology. Do you play as both characters, or just one?
You only play as one, it's sort of an action adventure mishmash of various mechanics, think Darksiders except a lot jankier. Has a lot of charm though. RE5 and Uncharted are both pretty bad comparisons, there isn't that much ranged combat in game and definitely no gunplay outside of (maybe, it's been a while) the occassional turret section.

e: It also controls like rear end on KB/M, it's probably better with a controller since this is usually an issue with the port.

anilEhilated fucked around with this message at 16:38 on Jul 18, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Palpek posted:

This state of wonder where you think "hmm what if" is the most fun you're going to have with these games, don't go any further. In the end it comes down to boredom, there is no great revelation waiting for you, just disappontment. Those people on youtube are actually more entertaining than the game itself. There are some exceptions to this but not many.

I've done it before with games like Alpha Prime or Legendary but that was also when they were on sale for $1 or less. There's no way I'm paying $20 for idle curiosity.

• Locked thread