Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Power Bottom posted:

He's got a lot of variance.

booooooo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

I thought it was just the one. He's not Samuro.

lucifirius
Mar 7, 2016
What's the trick to Abathur? I've been going the lane push build with the locust, but I don't feel super effective.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

lucifirius posted:

What's the trick to Abathur? I've been going the lane push build with the locust, but I don't feel super effective.

I've been playing Abathur for about the last 2 hours. Basically you just find a lane no one is in, and use the creeps to push. When team fights start up you use your ultimate to help the team fight then go back to pushing with creeps.

He takes a little while to get used to. Lots of clicking around the map.

lucifirius
Mar 7, 2016
It seems like the more time you have the hat on another player, the less effective you are since you aren't soaking. I usually try to soak 2 lanes, though it's difficult when my team is trying to get an objective. Does the aberration ultimate soak xp or would I need to hat it?

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Fuzz posted:

Grubby's site seemed to not actually show anything, for me.

Grub's site is based on HeroesFire, which has been a bit buggy the past couple of days for me.

e: https://www.twitch.tv/abathur1613 is one of the best abathur's with over 6,000 games with him. His site has info on how to play Aba, including videos: http://abathur1613.weebly.com/

Warning: he is a giant neckbeard who rages if he's doing poorly in a very toxic way. He's kind of like a less-pleasant House, MD, in that he knows what he's doing but you want to punch him.

BrianBoitano fucked around with this message at 01:52 on Jul 18, 2017

lucifirius
Mar 7, 2016
Perfect, thanks. Exactly what I was looking for.

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

BrianBoitano posted:

Grub's site is based on HeroesFire, which has been a bit buggy the past couple of days for me.

e: https://www.twitch.tv/abathur1613 is one of the best abathur's with over 6,000 games with him. His site has info on how to play Aba, including videos: http://abathur1613.weebly.com/

Warning: he is a giant neckbeard who rages if he's doing poorly in a very toxic way. He's kind of like a less-pleasant House, MD, in that he knows what he's doing but you want to punch him.

I hate playing with him because he will pick Abathur even if it is a terrible map/comp for it.

Schneider Inside Her
Aug 6, 2009

Please bitches. If nothing else I am a gentleman
I think stealth is pretty good in this game. Most characters have skillshots to reveal stealthed heroes and the shimmer isn't too hard to pick if you're looking for it. It's more map awareness and gamesense that will give you the feeling that someone invisible is coming for you

Lprsti99
Apr 7, 2011

Everything's coming up explodey!

Pillbug
I dunno, I have a hell of a time spotting the shimmer. Doesn't really bother me though, I just play more cautiously when I haven't seen them on the map recently.

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

Oh, say it ain't fuckin' so,
you stupid fuck!

Schneider Inside Her posted:

I think stealth is pretty good in this game. Most characters have skillshots to reveal stealthed heroes and the shimmer isn't too hard to pick if you're looking for it. It's more map awareness and gamesense that will give you the feeling that someone invisible is coming for you

The problem isn't seeing the shimmer when nothing is happening, though.

Gustav
Jul 12, 2006

This is all very confusing. Do you mind if I call you Rodriguez?
Stealth heroes are underpowered though, and one of the main complaints about them is that they don't contribute enough in a 5v5 teamfight, so I fail to see the problem

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

Oh, say it ain't fuckin' so,
you stupid fuck!
Um, Valeera and Zeratul are far from underpowered. It's kind of irrelevant to the original point that was about seeing through the stealth.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

please just remove twin blades of fury from the game

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

You should be able to right click the shimmer to attack stealth heroes I think.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Nah, there should be a tutorial on the shimmer though. Some kind of target practice.

Snacksmaniac
Jan 12, 2008

Lprsti99 posted:

I dunno, I have a hell of a time spotting the shimmer. Doesn't really bother me though, I just play more cautiously when I haven't seen them on the map recently.

I can barely see it on some maps. I've heard it's easier on high refresh rate monitors tho.

beejay
Apr 7, 2002

It's almost like it's supposed to be hard to see stealthed heroes! :aaa:

Hail Mr. Satan!
Oct 3, 2009

by zen death robot
I think you should be able to see and target stealthed heroes and also a big arrow should appear over their heads to indicate they are stealthed and also it should stay STEALTHED in 16 point Comic Sans type over their heads

Hail Mr. Satan!
Oct 3, 2009

by zen death robot
Also when stealthed, heroes should take quadruple damage and be unable to attack or use abilities

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010
Use games vs stealth heroes as ways to practice not being out of position. Watch the mini map and don't over extend when you can't see every enemy hero on the mini map. The majority of the times you're dying to a stealth hero you also would've just died to a Thrall or Kerrigan coming out of the bushes.

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

bamhand posted:

Use games vs stealth heroes as ways to practice not being out of position. Watch the mini map and don't over extend when you can't see every enemy hero on the mini map. The majority of the times you're dying to a stealth hero you also would've just died to a Thrall or Kerrigan coming out of the bushes.

^

The only thing stealth should be stopping you from doing is AA'ing the hero. You still know where they are/should be. Zeratul isn't good because of stealth, he's good because of his mobility. Valeera is poo poo.

Hail Mr. Satan!
Oct 3, 2009

by zen death robot
What Stealth hero are people even finding oppressive? I find Genji or Tracer to be a way bigger threat as a caster than any Stealth guy, and you can see them coming.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
Some people can't see stealth heroes at all and they aren't balanced with that in mind. If your perspective is that that's not a problem then you should be in favor of removing the shimmer and making them totally invisible. That sounds obnoxious, but that's the game experience some people already have.

(Not me tho)

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

No Wave posted:

Some people can't see stealth heroes at all and they aren't balanced with that in mind. If your perspective is that that's not a problem then you should be in favor of removing the shimmer and making them totally invisible. That sounds obnoxious, but that's the game experience some people already have.

(Not me tho)

If they were going to make any major change to the stealth mechanic I'd argue that they should make both sides see stealthed heroes in the same half-greyed-out way and keep it as an untargetable state. Functionally the same effect without the hardware/personal issues of "can you see the shimmer".

Gustav
Jul 12, 2006

This is all very confusing. Do you mind if I call you Rodriguez?
I'm in favor of people who can't see stealth heroes being at a disadvantage, and getting killed over and over, until they learn to see stealth heroes.

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010

No Wave posted:

(Not me tho)

Just because some people are disadvantaged when they play the game doesn't mean everyone has to be. I mean that one guy plays HotS with his mouth because he's paralyzed from the neck down. I think he managed to make it to gold league even with that disadvantage.

Stealth is good for setting up a flank in a busy team fight so it does have its uses in its current form.

Hail Mr. Satan!
Oct 3, 2009

by zen death robot

No Wave posted:

(Not me tho)

I don't know that I buy the idea that some people are literally unable to see them, but if so, they have heroes available with reveal abilities they could play

Libertine
Jun 21, 2004

When I die, I hope they say I made the eSports industry a better place than I made millions of dollars.
It doesn't matter if you can't see stealth heroes if you never put yourself in a dumb position where you can be ambushed.

Hail Mr. Satan!
Oct 3, 2009

by zen death robot
What position are people even finding themselves in where Stealth heroes are just running at them out in the open and they just can't react? On the rare occasion I play one, I still use bushes and terrain to flank until the last possible moment because you're not really invisible.

beejay
Apr 7, 2002

The weird thing is the complaint upthread seems to be that the guy can see them in the open but not in teamfights. I think he's also new to the game. New people usually have trouble with stealth until they learn to change their playstyle so that stealth has less advantage. The upside is that the positioning and awareness you learn to use vs. stealth is actually just the right way to play in general!

beejay fucked around with this message at 15:26 on Jul 18, 2017

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

Libertine posted:

It doesn't matter if you can't see stealth heroes if you never put yourself in a dumb position where you can be ambushed.
So it sounds like they should remove the shimmer.

NeurosisHead
Jul 22, 2007

NONONONONONONONONO
The lower your graphics settings the more visible the shimmer seems to be. If it's that big of a deal for someone they could always try that?

Hail Mr. Satan!
Oct 3, 2009

by zen death robot

No Wave posted:

Or they could just leave it because it's fine the way it is?

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

I don't know judging by the thread it sounds like you have to be literally retarded to die to a stealth hero ever, we should probably make stealth better.

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010

No Wave posted:

I don't know judging by the thread it sounds like you have to be literally retarded to die to a stealth hero ever, we should probably make stealth better.

I die to stealth heroes just as often as I die to any other good rotation by the enemy team. No need to change them.

Libertine
Jun 21, 2004

When I die, I hope they say I made the eSports industry a better place than I made millions of dollars.

No Wave posted:

I'd be fine with that.

skipThings
May 21, 2007

Tell me more about this
"Wireless fun-adaptor" you were speaking of.
stealth is the ur-fascism, at the same time the weakest/strongest hero

Hail Mr. Satan!
Oct 3, 2009

by zen death robot

No Wave posted:

Trait: Strawman

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fellatio del Toro
Mar 21, 2009

If you guys like dumb mechanics taken from the old bad engine the game is built on that exist primarily to punish new/low skill players because it makes the veterans feel better then boy do I have a MOBA that you're gonna love!!