Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011
Jews fleeing the Holocaust are not in any way comparable to North Africans, who don't flee genocide but want to enjoy the social welfare systems of Northern Europe.
Episode 2 detailed spoilers on reddit https://www.reddit.com/r/freefolk/comments/6nkzns/stormborn_episode_702_details_and_breakdowns/

As expected, Euron wrecks the Sand Snakes and Yara, Tyrion wants to attack Casterly Rock (which is on the other end of Westeros and they don't seem to have sea control), Jon goes to Dany because of Sam's letter and Sam cures Jorah.

Yay.

Oh and Greyworm is going to proof that he doesn't need his Greyworm to pleasure a woman...

GaussianCopula fucked around with this message at 12:49 on Jul 18, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pogothemonkey0
Oct 13, 2005

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:

Elias_Maluco posted:

But Dany arrival at Dragonstone was kinda meh, why is the island completely deserted? Stannis went north, but there was supposed to be people living there, arent it? I wanted to see ordinary people reacting to her arrival, to the dragons etc, not her marching into an empty castle

And wtf is going on with the costumes? Its like the loving matrix all of a sudden

Yeah they're really phoning it in with some of the costumes; everyone just defaults to black leather. Dany and her crew looked like they were coming back from a funeral. It certainly didn't help that there was basically zero color in the background either.

Pictured here, our triumphant heroes gain control of Dragonstone castle:

Victory is ours! :geno:

drunken officeparty
Aug 23, 2006

GaussianCopula posted:

Episode 2 detailed spoilers on reddit https://www.reddit.com/r/freefolk/comments/6nkzns/stormborn_episode_702_details_and_breakdowns/

As expected, Euron wrecks the Sand Snakes and Yara, Tyrion wants to attack Casterly Rock (which is on the other end of Westeros and they don't seem to have sea control), Jon goes to Dany because of Sam's letter and Sam cures Jorah.

Yay.

Oh and Greyworm is going to proof that he doesn't need his Greyworm to pleasure a woman...

Of all things I'm most excited to see Greyworms Ken Doll genitals

teamcharlie
Dec 9, 2012
Some scenes I would have liked to have seen this episode:

1) One of the Frey soldiers coming back inside after he finishes taking a dump, walks into the great hall in the middle of Arya's speech at house Frey and goes, "Holy poo poo, what did I miss? Wait...great uncle Frey is actually that one annoying girl and she just poisoned everybody who was at this toast, aka my family? BANZAI, MOTHERFUCKER!"

2) A random family living in Dragonstone blithely pouring a bucket of piss out of a window in their high-walled and fully intact castle directly onto Daenerys' stupid head. Why the gently caress weren't there at least squatters there? How is it that the North is so short on castles and the South has huge untouched ones to spare? Why didn't the Lannisters, who literally said that was where she was going to land, have some Goddamned soldiers there to stop her? If nothing else, that place had better at least have absolutely no access to clean water or food.

3) A brief title card addressing the fact that, no, of course Arya didn't meet a friendly Lannister boy band squad of soldiers who laugh off her promise to commit high treason and hand her all their food. She meets the same thing every other lone female human meets in the woods in Westeros: a gang of rapey murderous thugs. And then she has to actually deal with a problem herself, rather than just waiting for a dude to come along and fix everything.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

mmm yes just what got needs more rapes please give these great notes after each episode

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

teamcharlie posted:

3) A brief title card addressing the fact that, no, of course Arya didn't meet a friendly Lannister boy band squad of soldiers who laugh off her promise to commit high treason and hand her all their food. She meets the same thing every other lone female human meets in the woods in Westeros: a gang of rapey murderous thugs. And then she has to actually deal with a problem herself, rather than just waiting for a dude to come along and fix everything.

:wow:

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

GaussianCopula posted:

Yay.

It's good they're paying lip service to why the show is getting dragged out in regards to King's landing even though that's an insanely stupid argument. just don't send the dothrakis in, the dragons+super disciplined eunuchs are more than enough to win but fine let's have a much longer more protected war with more bloodshed, that'll make the peasants happy

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

lezard_valeth posted:

If he kills them that heavily contradicts his claim that everyone will hate Euron more than Ramsay.

What sucks is the Euron I heard a bout from the books is kind of an awesome full on ridiculous dread pirate. This guy is a preening rear end in a top hat. It's like they say the same things, like being the best raider that ever lived, but I think I'd believe it about the book version and laugh about the ego with the show version. I don't know if that's intentional.

I mean the book version has a bunch of like Valerian artifacts including armor and introduces himself by setting a dude on fire with a magic horn, how the gently caress does this guy compete with a big dick speech?

Kopijeger
Feb 14, 2010
Another thing: funny that the farmer killed himself and his daughter instead of trying to relocate somewhere food could be found. There didn't seem to be any obvious reason as to why he wouldn't at least try.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Kopijeger posted:

Another thing: funny that the farmer killed himself and his daughter instead of trying to relocate somewhere food could be found. There didn't seem to be any obvious reason as to why he wouldn't at least try.

Yeah I try not to :spergin: out on every little thing that isn't absolute tactical realism and accept that it's okay for things happen for story or thematic reasons (and they are pretty much hitting you on the head with this one), but I would have liked at least an offhand bit of dialogue to explain why he didn't hit the road and try his luck. Maybe continue the CSI: Rhylor theme and have Thoros say "looks like he was wounded by a sword maybe he encountered Lannister men on the road and fled back to his farmstead." Or whatever, I'm not a big time HBO writer.

I guess I just put myself in that situation and want to think I'd try basically everything to get my famil fed before I give up and murk them and myself.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!
I dunno, if you have no money (because the Hound stole it) and no horses (because they starved) and no food and it's winter in the North, it seems like hitting the road with a young kid is just asking for something worse to happen to them. Like The Road but worse because you're not going to find a bomb shelter full of food and clean clothes.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Harton posted:

Ok full disclosure groovelord I came home from work and my wife was watching it cause she fell asleep early last night. Scene came on and like a half second into it she was like "is that ed scheeren"

I started laughing a lot and kinda had to explain myself. Needless to say she called me a douchebag and now I have to admit you probably have a point.

i told you man!

Blazing Ownager posted:

What sucks is the Euron I heard a bout from the books is kind of an awesome full on ridiculous dread pirate. This guy is a preening rear end in a top hat. It's like they say the same things, like being the best raider that ever lived, but I think I'd believe it about the book version and laugh about the ego with the show version. I don't know if that's intentional.

not casting ian mcshane as euron was a gigantic misstep.

Groovelord Neato fucked around with this message at 15:09 on Jul 18, 2017

The Little Kielbasa
Mar 29, 2001

and another thing: im not mad. please dont put in the newspaper that i got mad.
You mean Mads Mikkelsen

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!
One of the things that was really impressive about the book back when I read them in the late 90s was that it felt so much more real than other fantasy. Like people dying but also horrible stuff happening in a pretty much medieval way.
That still carries on with the later books and how hosed the smallfolk are.

The show just feels like it throws that all in the bin. Nobody I was watching with really knew who Beric or Thoros were (other than Dennis Pennis). It's just...how can you watch a character driven drama when nobody know who anyone is?

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

teamcharlie posted:

Some scenes I would have liked to have seen this episode:

She meets the same thing every other lone female human meets in the woods in Westeros: a gang of rapey murderous thugs. And then she has to actually deal with a problem herself, rather than just waiting for a dude to come along and fix everything.

seek help

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

The Little Kielbasa posted:

You mean Mads Mikkelsen

a bit too refined.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

teamcharlie posted:

wat

Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
I dunno, I feel like Mads Mikkelsen brings enough joy to the sadism already, it's just that I haven't actually seen Hannibal Lecter mutilate and torture his pregnant plaything. I certainly think the actor could handle open cruelty, as well as barely concealed.

Mameluke fucked around with this message at 17:18 on Jul 18, 2017

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

javiar bardem?

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything

ulvir posted:

seek help

Including more rape to enhance a woman's storyline is extremely feminist.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

It's really hard to take show Euron seriously because for all his bluster, literally the only thing he's done is throw a really old guy off a bridge. It's not that impressive.

I don't think there's a casting change that could help that core issue. He needs to actually do something.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Nail Rat posted:

It's really hard to take show Euron seriously because for all his bluster, literally the only thing he's done is throw a really old guy off a bridge. It's not that impressive.

He commanded that a thousand ships be built from sand and rocks and it worked.

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011
Jews fleeing the Holocaust are not in any way comparable to North Africans, who don't flee genocide but want to enjoy the social welfare systems of Northern Europe.
My only question is whether Euron goes full Ramsay and dual wields shirtless, which is the known weakness of Yara and all her allies. Maybe he even has the support of Ser Twent Ygoodmen.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

Pac-Manioc Root posted:

He commanded that a thousand ships be built from sand and rocks and it worked.

Yeah and apparently they're magic self-sailing ships too because I find it hard to believe thousands of people could be living on those barren islands to sail those 1,000 ships :v:

Rotacixe
Oct 21, 2008

pogothemonkey0 posted:

Pictured here, our triumphant heroes gain control of Dragonstone castle:

Victory is ours! :geno:

Greyworm. Working on that Greynerd neck.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

EvilElmo posted:

The poop sequence was really, really, really well done.

I was surprised at how much I enjoyed a Sam montage.

I didn't mind this episode, it felt like one of the weaker early episodes. The costume department was the weakest link of the chain, although Jon and Sansa looked appropriately bulked up.

After last season's horrible episode after horrible episode, culminating in an even worse horrible episode, I really just feel like I'm sticking around in the last 10 minutes of a hockey game that started with my team up by a few goals then getting wrecked in the second period into the third.

I googled The Winds of Winter and was not surprised to see that a date had not been set for its release.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Professor Shark posted:

I googled The Winds of Winter and was not surprised to see that a date had not been set for its release.

:ssh: It's never. :rip: GRRM before it comes out.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Nail Rat posted:

Yeah and apparently they're magic self-sailing ships too because I find it hard to believe thousands of people could be living on those barren islands to sail those 1,000 ships :v:

I'm reading the Aubrey-Maturin series right now and at one point Jack mentions that despite the Surprise being one of the smallest ships in the fleet, it has 200 men aboard, with some of the larger ships having 500, so those 1000 ships would need to be crewed by minimum 200 000 men, and based on some of those juggernauts they showed, closer to half a million.

drunken officeparty
Aug 23, 2006

He's going to die before it comes out, and his son is going to find and publish a pile of dried feces on some paper much like Christoper Tolkien.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Well there's another possibility at work.

Euron Greyoy is a pioneer in automation.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

Professor Shark posted:

I'm reading the Aubrey-Maturin series right now and at one point Jack mentions that despite the Surprise being one of the smallest ships in the fleet, it has 200 men aboard, with some of the larger ships having 500, so those 1000 ships would need to be crewed by minimum 200 000 men, and based on some of those juggernauts they showed, closer to half a million.

All they care about is if it looks dramatic. And that's it. Anything else is thrown out of the window.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

drunken officeparty posted:

He's going to die before it comes out, and his son is going to find and publish a pile of dried feces on some paper much like Christoper Tolkien.

He doesn't have any kids so the Gurm bloodline dies with him.

Dave Angel
Sep 8, 2004

Professor Shark posted:

The Aubrey-Maturin series is set in the 19th century, which is a couple of eras away in terms of ship-building technology and the crew numbers required. Smaller viking warships would have crews of about 40 while the larger ones would have crews of 70-80, for comparison.

Rotacixe
Oct 21, 2008

Professor Shark posted:

Greyjoy ships don't have any guns to crew and their rigging doesn't look complex either. Halve that number.

drunken officeparty
Aug 23, 2006

Roman warships had about 500 people on them. Probably quadrouple that for ships that were just big people movers.

Dave Angel
Sep 8, 2004

Roman warships were just big people movers, generally, their navy was never particularly impressive except in quantity and the amount of manpower they had available. They also built big, multi-decked ships for cruising around the calmer waters of the Mediterranean rather than the ocean-going vessels the Ironborn boast of having.

That said, I'll agree on the initial point that the fleet we've seen does seem a little big for the numbers we would probably expect Euron to be able to field. The big one in front is obviously his flagship, the others in back look like quite a grand longship design. Might be that the bulk of the fleet are smaller ships used for quickly and stealthily moving raiding parties about, which would fit their M.O. Not every ship in the fleet is going to be a supercarrier.

Course it's all just fantasy armies and bullshit anyway so maybe they had 50,000 islanders kicking around to join up, who knows.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

It doesn't help that the show is being purposefully coy about how much time has passed since the end of last season.

Because if they gave a definite amount of time it's been, no answer would make sense.

LinkesAuge
Sep 7, 2011

Professor Shark posted:

A better comparison would be medieval ships (that's also how GoT navies fight) and those had often between 100-200 men aboard and only big ships had something like 300 (and of those roughly 230 were rowers and only the rest marines).
One example of a really, really huge medieval fleet would be the Bzyantine Emperorer Basiliscus who started an expedtion with around 1100 ships and 100.000 men (which failed and nearly bankrupted the empire).
It's still questionable how the Greyjoys are able to raise such numbers but the number of men the GoT armies seem to have are in general inflated, at least for european medieval standards. You really need to assume population (and wealth) numbers like China had in those times for it to make sense.

drunken officeparty posted:

Roman warships had about 500 people on them. Probably quadrouple that for ships that were just big people movers.

A typical trireme had about 200 men.

LinkesAuge fucked around with this message at 17:19 on Jul 18, 2017

bloom
Feb 25, 2017

by sebmojo

Dave Angel posted:

The Aubrey-Maturin series is set in the 19th century, which is a couple of eras away in terms of ship-building technology and the crew numbers required. Smaller viking warships would have crews of about 40 while the larger ones would have crews of 70-80, for comparison.

Those ships were pretty big for longships. I have no idea what kind of a population the iron islands are supposed to have, but even 50k people of fighting age seems like a lot for a couple of lovely islands with no agriculture. That's after Yara took off with a significant chunk of them too. Of course it goes in the same category as "where did the wood come from?" and "how fast did they build all of those?" as things you shouldn't think about too much. Nothing really makes sense in the show if you start thinking about numbers.

They were cool looking ships, I gotta admit that. The kraken sails especially. Shame about Euron being nowhere near cool enough to captain them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

WampaLord posted:

It doesn't help that the show is being purposefully coy about how much time has passed since the end of last season.

Because if they gave a definite amount of time it's been, no answer would make sense.

In general, each season is supposed to be a year later than the season before it(at least a year later than the start of the previous season), particularly to help account for aging. But they've said that the story threads aren't all necessarily happening at the same time. For example, I doubt Arya hung out at the Twins for a year after killing Walder Frey...but it probably took her longer to get into the middle of the Riverlands than the day or so that seem to be passing elsewhere in the episode, so that might be her storyline getting caught up.

In the end, it's best not to think about it too much. I like how Little Sam stayed an infant for like 3.5 years and all of a sudden he's 4 years old :wtc:

• Locked thread