Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~
Thanks for the Dragon Red feedback duders. It sounds like it might be the way I go for my Blood Ravens.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

SRM posted:

Thanks for the Dragon Red feedback duders. It sounds like it might be the way I go for my Blood Ravens.

Hm, maybe I should keep that in mind as well for the future.

Zuul the Cat
Dec 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
So I decided to give my 2nd Tech-Priest a fancy base, and built up some rocks with cork, then included 2 pipes with straws.

My idea is to make the bare part where the pipes are coming out of the rock be green with toxic waste, but i'm really not sure how to do it.

Any tips or advice on how to make a toxic sludge coming out of the pipes and onto the base that i can then paint? I was thinking PVA glue and painting it moot green, but my worry is that it won't dry completely.

I'll post photos of what I have so far tonight.

dexefiend
Apr 25, 2003

THE GOGGLES DO NOTHING!
PVA glue is almost the same as the binder in acrylic paint. You should be able to mix no problem. I know some people use Mod Podge for this exact case.

darnon
Nov 8, 2009
That or hot glue gun and maybe gel water effect.

Zuul the Cat
Dec 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
I watched a couple videos online of working with hot glue, and decided to just drop the $15 on the Woodland scenics water effects. I'll try that and see how it works. Goes on white and dries clear, so I should be able to paint it.

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

oh my god is that a circular saw that does not go in my mouth aaaaagh
I'm 95% sure Woodland Scenics Water Effects is just acrylic gloss medium.

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Does that mean I don't get the job?

Zuul the Cat posted:

So I decided to give my 2nd Tech-Priest a fancy base, and built up some rocks with cork, then included 2 pipes with straws.

My idea is to make the bare part where the pipes are coming out of the rock be green with toxic waste, but i'm really not sure how to do it.

Any tips or advice on how to make a toxic sludge coming out of the pipes and onto the base that i can then paint? I was thinking PVA glue and painting it moot green, but my worry is that it won't dry completely.

I'll post photos of what I have so far tonight.

If you want the sludge to come out of the pipes either in a drippy format or just pouring, cut yourself a strip of clear plastic (like off a blister) and glue it down from the pipe to the ground. Then, cover it in water effects.

Zuul the Cat
Dec 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Slimnoid posted:

If you want the sludge to come out of the pipes either in a drippy format or just pouring, cut yourself a strip of clear plastic (like off a blister) and glue it down from the pipe to the ground. Then, cover it in water effects.

Perfect idea, thank you.

Immanentized
Mar 17, 2009
I'm looking into an airbrush setup in my apartment- specifically with the Masters spray booth with the blower vent and light kit built in, with an air purifier next to my station in my den/laundry area. Planning on using a respirator while I spray.
This is my first time with this sort of arrangement, any one with decent airbrush experience able to recommend anything else that might be useful?.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
That sounds like more than enough. I've only ever spayed with a backslash and open window while wearing a respirator. Never had issues.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

SRM posted:

SRM why are you making blood ravens :( (do what you want I'm just being silly)

Legendary Ptarmigan
Sep 21, 2007

Need a light?

Zaphod42 posted:

SRM why are you making blood ravens :( (do what you want I'm just being silly)

It's so he and The Sex Cannon (with his Raven Guard) can team up to form the Raven Ravens.

JackMann
Aug 11, 2010

Secure. Contain. Protect.
Fallen Rib
That's so raven.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
Are Vallejo Air Metallics still the undisputed champs?

BULBASAUR posted:

That sounds like more than enough. I've only ever spayed with a backslash and open window while wearing a respirator. Never had issues.

That reminds me I need to get a respirator from work.

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

F-F-FRIDAY NIGHT MOTHERFUCKERS

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

That reminds me I need to get a respirator from work.

I think so unless somehow has the comparison with scale 75.

That said there's a new Vallejo metallic air formula which is apparently baller, and I've used the Vallejo alcohol based liquid Silver which was awesome. Don't run that one through an airbrush though and only use synthetic brushes

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

oh my god is that a circular saw that does not go in my mouth aaaaagh

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Scale 75 and Vallejo Metal Color are the two best, from what I hear.

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005

Avenging Dentist posted:

Scale 75 and Vallejo Metal Color are the two best, from what I hear.

This is the truth. Scale 75 needs some persuasion to go through an airbrush. Metal Color is very good in all ways.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

Legendary Ptarmigan posted:

It's so he and The Sex Cannon (with his Raven Guard) can team up to form the Raven Ravens.

When I used that dumb chapter name generator I got the Raging Ravens which sounds like it would have been a great Bloodbowl team. I'm doing up some Blood Ravens because I love the Dawn of War games, and I've never done a red army. You know, aside from my Valhallans that are sort of patterned on the actual Red Army, but that's not red in a literal sense.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
I remember someone in this thread talked about a new line from Vallejo that was basically an acrylic version of the liquid gold alcohol paints

I really like the liquid gold stuff, but it has quirks

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005

BULBASAUR posted:

I remember someone in this thread talked about a new line from Vallejo that was basically an acrylic version of the liquid gold alcohol paints

I really like the liquid gold stuff, but it has quirks

This is metal color. Mango and I rant about them a lot. Look to the spoons.

Dr Hemulen
Jan 25, 2003

Anybody want to split this?
3x vortex mixers
http://m.ebay.co.uk/itm/3-x-IKA-Ms1...3cfe590ffffc727

Dr Hemulen
Jan 25, 2003

HardCoil posted:

3x vortex mixers

I really wish I had thought of this back at uni 😒

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005

HardCoil posted:

3x vortex mixers

Haha I linked this exact listing to my gaming group. Noone else wanted in. I also realised there are three available so it might be £100 for each one. Its not exactly clear.

Dr Hemulen
Jan 25, 2003

I'm in for one of them if it's 3 for 100. I'm in Denmark though, so it would probably be best shipping wise if an UK goon was interested.

Edit: list price for the cheapest Ika vortexer is more than €200 :-/

Dr Hemulen fucked around with this message at 07:55 on Jul 19, 2017

Sharkman
Dec 7, 2007

Immanentized posted:

I'm looking into an airbrush setup in my apartment- specifically with the Masters spray booth with the blower vent and light kit built in, with an air purifier next to my station in my den/laundry area. Planning on using a respirator while I spray.
This is my first time with this sort of arrangement, any one with decent airbrush experience able to recommend anything else that might be useful?.

I like mine so far! I'd say you're golden. I bought the one with the air hose that goes out the window.

Dr Hemulen
Jan 25, 2003

I have the same one. It's amazing how well it stores away in a very small package.
The fan seems a little weak though.

Dr Hemulen
Jan 25, 2003

TTerrible posted:

I also realised there are three available so it might be £100 for each one. Its not exactly clear.

I sent a message to the seller to clarify.

Edit: Price is pr unit.

Dr Hemulen fucked around with this message at 11:51 on Jul 19, 2017

herr brau
Dec 20, 2005

relax, a photo's not gonna make any difference

Finally started work on some of my 40k Death Guard mans. Here's one in progress with more than just base coat for the skin. The buboes are modeled after what you see with the bubonic plague. The spikes are bone. I'm thinking a standard fleshy pink for the worm/tentacle things. The eyes are black with gloss medium, so they look wet and soulless. Slipped a bit on the right one, but... progress.

Hope its suitably gross and creepy.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Sharkman posted:

I like mine so far! I'd say you're golden. I bought the one with the air hose that goes out the window.

gently caress I wish I had seen the option for a light package.

And how is that thing so clean?

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

In built lights seem like a cumbersome thing to detach and put away, I get plenty of light from a 11w daylight bulb just over the hood.

bonds0097
Oct 23, 2010

I would cry but I don't think I can spare the moisture.
Pillbug

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

gently caress I wish I had seen the option for a light package.

I bought some doodads and an LED spool and put 4 strips in the hood of mine and it's awesome, total cost was under 15 bucks for the lighting material and I have a ton left over for other potential projects.

Hamshot
Feb 1, 2006
Fun Shoe

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

He only set it up for the other person to take a photo of him pretending to airbrush to impress everyone.

Hixson
Mar 27, 2009

Things I learned this week: spraying wash through an airbrush is a great way to tint your models. But it's not a good substitute for a pin wash. Do both!

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Hixson posted:

Things I learned this week: spraying wash through an airbrush is a great way to tint your models. But it's not a good substitute for a pin wash. Do both!

What's a pin wash?

Shadin
Jun 28, 2009

Hixson posted:

I haven't tried this with my airbrush yet. Got any pics of the results?

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

What's a pin wash?

It's a targeted wash applied with a small brush - panel lines, rivets, etc. It's opposed to a standard wash, with is just slapping on the wash with a big brush.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

TIL there's a term for the thing I've always done but called washing. Honestly I thought most people did it that way. Slopping on a wash on large surfaces is just too messy and imprecise.

Hixson
Mar 27, 2009

Shadin posted:

I haven't tried this with my airbrush yet. Got any pics of the results?

I'm painting Night Lords based with Vallejo Imperial blue and highlighted with heavy blue. Then I airbrushed on a layer of Citadel Drakenhoff Nightshade to get the this blue:

The pictures kind of meaningless without a before shot; but the whole thing darkened several shades. You can see where none of the recesses collected any of wash. That's where you go back and apply the pin wash.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dr_ether
May 31, 2013

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

What's a pin wash?

Black lining.