Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

Zeeman posted:

Not just the X-men

To be fair, Tony was right and did land the thing....
But it was immediately destroyed by a dinosaur shortly after.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Evil Mastermind posted:

The retconned that away so Doreen didn't have to worry about any of the angsty mutant stuff that's been going on (like the Terrigen mists or whatever). USG is intended to be an angst-free comic.

Wasn't that more to keep Fox from owning her rights?

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

zoux posted:

Wasn't that more to keep Fox from owning her rights?

Is this the "When she was born, the doctor said she was biologically and legally distinct from mutants, for realsies, no take-backs" thing? I was pretty sure that was tongue-in-cheek making fun of the whole "Fox owns mutants" thing.

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

Correct.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
Yeah, I'm not sure that'll stand up in court, but I'd be interested in seeing that case.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

DID YOU ORDER THE RETCON

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
YOU CAN'T HANDLE THE TRUTH*!!!

* See issue #52 -Ed

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Phylodox posted:

Yeah, I'm not sure that'll stand up in court, but I'd be interested in seeing that case.
Like, literally not at all.

More realistically (without knowing anything about the specific contract between Marvel and Fox), the licence is for "X-Men and associated characters" with some sort of definition of "associated characters" defining it as characters created in X-Men comics or primarily associated with them, which is how you get to Sabertooth (originally an Iron Fist villain) being part of the Fox package, and Quicksilver and Scarlet Witch being contested.

The end result being Squirrel Girl not really fitting into that package of licenses at all, regardless of whether she's a mutant or not.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.
I mean Franklin Richards is a mutant, but not associated with the X-men in any meaningful way.

The fact that Fox owns the movie rights to him is unrelated to him being a mutant.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Endless Mike posted:

Like, literally not at all.

More realistically (without knowing anything about the specific contract between Marvel and Fox), the licence is for "X-Men and associated characters" with some sort of definition of "associated characters" defining it as characters created in X-Men comics or primarily associated with them, which is how you get to Sabertooth (originally an Iron Fist villain) being part of the Fox package, and Quicksilver and Scarlet Witch being contested.

The end result being Squirrel Girl not really fitting into that package of licenses at all, regardless of whether she's a mutant or not.

Was she a member of the Great Lakes X-Men?

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

prefect posted:

Was she a member of the Great Lakes X-Men?

Yeah, but the Great Lakes Whatevers have changed their team name about half a dozen times --- they were originally the Great Lakes Avengers.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
Chit chitta bub.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

I wonder if the New Warriors is before or after the death of Monkey Joe.

All I can say is, there better be either Monkey Joe or Tippy Toe. And regardless of which, they better be subtitled when chattering with Doreen.

E: I didn't realize this about why Monkey Joe died (from the Monkey Joe page on the Marvel Wiki)

quote:

Monkey Joe's death was part of a marketing promise that a member of the GLA would die in each issue of the miniseries, as a parody to comic book deaths.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Proteus Jones posted:

I wonder if the New Warriors is before or after the death of Monkey Joe.

All I can say is, there better be either Monkey Joe or Tippy Toe. And regardless of which, they better be subtitled when chattering with Doreen.

The character description for Doreen mentions Tippy Toe by name so it's a safe bet she will be in the show.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
Wait, Squirrel Girl is getting a show?

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Who What Now posted:

On Freeform (previously ABC Family). So no, not really.

Zeeman
May 8, 2007

Say WHAT?! You KNOW that post is wack, homie!
Are there any prominent mutants that are totally unaffiliated with the X-Men? I'm struggling to think of any.

On-topic, some more USG greatness

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Namor, Franklin Richards, and Toro are the biggest ones I can think of, in that order.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Namor's been X-men adjacent (in all meanings of the word) quite a few times.

There aren't many options since most of them died.

smashpro1
Mar 1, 2009

Shirley, these things happen in video games. We can't get hung up on real-world morality.

Who What Now posted:

New Warriors. She's gonna be played by the girl from the AT&T commercials.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Namor and the Richards kids come in through the Fantastic Four license that Fox currently holds. It's been such box office poison for them that Marvel's had no interest in reclaiming it or doing a shared custody deal.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
I mean the FF would fit in nicely with Infinite Crisis but holy hell I never want to see an FF movie ever again unless it's titled The Incredibles 2
EDIT: Incidentally why did Marvel never try to go after Pixar for The Incredibles

Calaveron fucked around with this message at 23:32 on Jul 18, 2017

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Not enough to build a case on. None of it was based on a science experiment gone wrong, it was two adults and two children, the powersets don't quite line up... An homage at best, possibly even protected parody.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

goatface posted:

Not enough to build a case on. None of it was based on a science experiment gone wrong, it was two adults and two children, the powersets don't quite line up... An homage at best, possibly even protected parody.

Plus if Marvel started suing over similar characters then it's just a billion years of lawsuits back and forth between them and DC.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Skwirl posted:

Plus if Marvel started suing over similar characters then it's just a billion years of lawsuits back and forth between them and DC.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Kwyndig posted:

Namor and the Richards kids come in through the Fantastic Four license that Fox currently holds. It's been such box office poison for them that Marvel's had no interest in reclaiming it or doing a shared custody deal.

I am reasonably certain Namor's film rights were with a completely different deal with Universal that subsequently lapsed, or are tied up in a conundrum similar to the Hulk.

I also am not privy to all the ins and outs of these deals, which are apparently as convoluted as international trade agreements.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

goatface posted:

Sure but Violet's powers are pretty blatant

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Ain't nobody going to court over powersets. That poo poo is waaay too risky.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

howe_sam posted:

I am reasonably certain Namor's film rights were with a completely different deal with Universal that subsequently lapsed, or are tied up in a conundrum similar to the Hulk.

I also am not privy to all the ins and outs of these deals, which are apparently as convoluted as international trade agreements.
Yeah, Namor's stuck in some kind of legal limbo where Universal had the rights at some point (so he's not covered under Fox's FF) but maybe he was covered under Fox's FF because they didn't end up making a movie due to a rights dispute regarding "an earlier contract", but then Marvel said because of that the rights had lapsed back to them, but then they said they weren't sure of that. He hasn't shown up in any video games recently, unlike other movie properties they don't own, which suggests that the deal he was sold under was significantly broader than the FF's movie deal, but he also hasn't been purged from the comics or video games like the FF.

joehonkie
Jan 12, 2006

I'm a member of STARS.

smashpro1 posted:

New Warriors. She's gonna be played by the girl from the AT&T commercials.

Oooh, she's great in Other Space.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Savage Land isn't quite how i remember.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

Zeeman posted:

Are there any prominent mutants that are totally unaffiliated with the X-Men? I'm struggling to think of any.

Marvel Boy / Justice / Vance Astro. New Warriors, Avengers, alternate time line Guardians of the Galaxy. Never an X-Man as far as I recall, unless you count banging Firestar as "X-Men adjacent".

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

howe_sam posted:

This is the most recent version of this chart I can find, but it lists Uatu as Fox which can't be correct, right?

e: oh there we go

Sockser fucked around with this message at 04:17 on Jul 19, 2017

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Zeeman posted:

Not just the X-men

'Acceptable nudity'?

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

Sockser posted:

This is the most recent version of this chart I can find, but it lists Uatu as Fox which can't be correct, right?
Uatu was created solely to hype up and provide exposition for the arrival of Silver Surfer/Galactus, so he's certainly covered by the Fantastic Four licensing.

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

But...

Isn't he in Guardians 2?

Or is that the other watchers and the F4 licensing only covers Uatu specifically?

e: In fact,

quote:

If you’ve watched a movie set in the Marvel Cinematic Universe, you’ve no doubt noticed comic book visionary Stan Lee popping up in little cameo roles. For years, it’s been rumored that, rather than being silly cameos, Lee is actually portraying the same person, specifically Uatu the Watcher, a character known for appearing when world-altering events are occurring.

With “Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2” on the horizon, it’s been noted that Lee’s cameo will actually be a nod to the theory, with the comic creator seated amongst a group of people watching the Guardians. Kevin Feige — Marvel Studios head honcho — sat down to talk about the film and was asked about the cameo. Surprisingly, he acknowledged it, and even went so far as to confirm that it might not be a theory at all.

Yes, we always thought it would be fun. Stan Lee clearly exists, you know, above and apart from the reality of all the films. So the notion that he could be sitting there on a cosmic pit stop during the jump gate sequence in Guardians was something very fun – James had that idea and we shot that cameo and loved it so much, you know, you see it a couple of times in the movie. It wasn’t in for a long time and we put it back in towards the end of the process where he references that time he was a Federal Express agent – we thought it would be fun to put that in there because that really says, so wait a minute, he’s this same character who’s popped up in all these films.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

I imagine they're probably fine to use the standard visuals of The Watchers as long as they don't directly refer to Uatu specifically. Somewhat similar as to how they managed to get Quicksilver/Scarlet Witch into the Avengers by setting up a new origin where they weren't mutants and arguing that they were therefore legally distinct properties to what had been sold to Fox under that contract.

It's impossible to know for sure until they're in a movie though.

Benito Cereno
Jan 20, 2006

ALLEZ-OUP!

Ghostlight posted:

Uatu was created solely to hype up and provide exposition for the arrival of Silver Surfer/Galactus, so he's certainly covered by the Fantastic Four licensing.

While I'm not discounting the possibility that Uatu is licensed to Fox because he first appeared in FF, he did appear like three years before the Galactus story. He first shows up when the FF battle Red Ghost and the Super-Apes on the moon.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Benito Cereno posted:

While I'm not discounting the possibility that Uatu is licensed to Fox because he first appeared in FF, he did appear like three years before the Galactus story. He first shows up when the FF battle Red Ghost and the Super-Apes on the moon.

They should make that into a movie, it's even newly topical again thanks to Putin.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Skwirl posted:

They should make that into a movie, it's even newly topical again thanks to Putin.

Trump and his two sons?