Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jo
Jan 24, 2005

:allears:
Soiled Meat
Day 8: spent Thursday, a chunk of Friday, and most of this morning on music. I'm not very happy with any of it. :sigh:. The perfect is the enemy of the good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Workaday Wizard
Oct 23, 2009

by Pragmatica
Hell yeah path finding is done :c00l:

Musical_Daredevil
Dec 23, 2008

Need some backup NOW!
So... many... houses...

Also, this is just a reminder that we are still looking for an audio person to do rock & roll-style music/sfx for a fast-paced, Crazy Taxi clone.

blastron
Dec 11, 2007

Don't doodle on it!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vBTLACWKT7Y

what are you talking about, this isn't the magnesis rune at all, this is 100% original and different

for one thing, i'm a car

Siminu
Sep 6, 2005

No, you are the magic man.

Hell Gem

TomR posted:

I like it.

I'm a basketball expert.

gently caress filth, buncha cheaters.

I got buried under a coroutine shitpile yesterday. Bits of things worked, but nothing would chain together and the entire mess was just horrendous, so I went to bed.

I woke up this morning and, on my way to the bus, wondered what would happen if I added "yield return" in a few specific locations. So I wrote it on my hand.

Just got home and tried it out and half an hour later, basically all my problems are solved and I'm a millionaire now and grew an extra 2 inches taller.

Do your thinking on the bus, is what I'm saying.

Atarask
Mar 8, 2008

Lord of Rigel Developer

Slowly but surely working on a EGA Trek-like called "Captain's Starlog."

Where you have the USS Concord a not-Federation ship fighting the not-Mongols and not-Klingons.

Working with Love-Stole-the-Day. It's using Unreal, which is a bit overkill for a basic sprite-vector game but a good exercise for me to relearn Unreal since the last time I used it was doing Tribes: Vengeance levels.

The not-Federation logo.

The not-Klingon logo.

Atarask fucked around with this message at 03:52 on Jul 16, 2017

Wazzit
Jul 16, 2004

Who wants to play video games?
Some stuff from our game Tamal E:/Drive. The game about selling bootleg DVDs from a tamale truck, keeping an eye out for cops, hiding the bootlegs while playing related minigames. The two down below involving dragging the correct label DVD and closing the popups to get to the torrent link.

The UI text needs to be moved or changed but we've more or less got our first two minigames done.

We also got our street view (which will be on the bottom of the screen) semi finalized.

Wazzit fucked around with this message at 08:52 on Jul 16, 2017

netcat
Apr 29, 2008

Workaday Wizard
Oct 23, 2009

by Pragmatica
There is no escaping.

Jo
Jan 24, 2005

:allears:
Soiled Meat
Man, these all look so good. :stare:

TomR
Apr 1, 2003
I both own and operate a pirate ship.
I spent like 16 hours working on the game yesterday and then EntranceJew stayed up all night working on the game. I don't know what's going on anymore but it sure is something.

hanales
Nov 3, 2013

Jo posted:

Man, these all look so good. :stare:

I'm super excited to see the final entries.

Dieting Hippo
Jan 5, 2006

THIS IS NOT A PROPER DIET FOR A HIPPO

as someone who is faking making an NES game, i am super hella impressed that you are making an actual one that runs on an emulator :golfclap: i really need to look into doing that after this jam is over!

blastron
Dec 11, 2007

Don't doodle on it!

https://twitter.com/blastron/status/886706688320872448

I don't want to talk about how many hours it took me to come up with how the logic for the door system works.

Dieting Hippo
Jan 5, 2006

THIS IS NOT A PROPER DIET FOR A HIPPO
day 9: my long refactor nightmare weekend is over. the time spent was well worth it though, because now i have multiple moving cars, with the ability to switch between them :rice:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UihsY80_ICE

next up is adding the ball and some rudimentary AI to chase the ball when a car isn't under user control.

Kernel Monsoon
Jul 18, 2006
Some progress!

KRILLIN IN THE NAME
Mar 25, 2006

:ssj:goku i won't do what u tell me:ssj:

Kinda *just* starting properly now, jesus why did I leave this so late (which is also what I do every year)

https://twitter.com/bonerman_inc/status/886886776161173505

TomR
Apr 1, 2003

Supernorn posted:

Some progress!

What's the word for animation that's got all the little things that make it stand out as real good?

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010
Honest to god thinks Half Life 2 is a bad game. But at least he likes Monster Hunter.
Week 1: decide on project
Week 2: procrastinate
Week 3: ???

Cancelbot
Nov 22, 2006

Canceling spam since 1928

leper khan posted:

Week 1: decide on project
Week 2: procrastinate
Week 3: ???

Week 3: Shitpost on discord and you've got me! I'm going down the alley of how old games were bootlegged, like SNES ports of Sonic and crappy movie tie ins.

TomR
Apr 1, 2003

https://youtu.be/exuXQuyjBio

Edit: We also have tiny arm mode.

TomR fucked around with this message at 14:30 on Jul 17, 2017

Kernel Monsoon
Jul 18, 2006

TomR posted:

What's the word for animation that's got all the little things that make it stand out as real good?

Time consuming :v:

netcat
Apr 29, 2008
I had a bunch of slowdown with too many objects (like 4-5 lol) on the screen so I rewrote one of my collision routines in assembler and now it's fast and I feel smart. 👌

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?

I got bodies to block shots! It seems kinda minor but it paves the way for dudes hiding behind cover!

Also have an action shot! (pre health, but it looks dangerous at least)

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010
Honest to god thinks Half Life 2 is a bad game. But at least he likes Monster Hunter.

Shoehead posted:

I got bodies to block shots! It seems kinda minor but it paves the way for dudes hiding behind cover!

Also have an action shot! (pre health, but it looks dangerous at least)

Please make a dudetype that constantly tries to hind behind other dudes.

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

Presenting the fruit of my amazing artistic skills, HOG SON:

There is no way I will ever get close to finishing all of these games in time but let me dream.

JonTerp posted:

I don't see a rule against it so go hog wild.

Oh, I did. And am.

EntranceJew
Nov 5, 2009

https://twitter.com/EntranceJew/status/887054280078876672

they should call it brisket ball, because i am hungry

Last Visible Dog
Jul 30, 2015

Hitlersaurus Christ posted:

There is no way I will ever get close to finishing all of these games in time but let me dream.

You're using Clickteam Fusion, right? Would you want some help filling out your bootleg games list? I'm pretty capable with MMF/CF and haven't got a project of my own in this jam.

Musical_Daredevil
Dec 23, 2008

Need some backup NOW!
Had a pretty productive day today: finished laying out all the buildings in the town and started on the UI design.

Those are neither the final building colors or game title.

Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Let's Clock Into The Sunset Together

Fun Shoe
Day 11: I have decided to change a core mechanic and as a result needed a new player model. The concept will be an alien eating projectiles to shoot back at spaceships, the more you eat the bigger you get. This is where I'm at.

Why does a space alien have 4 eyes, 2 tentacles for thrusters and a lime green mouth? :shrug:

Going to try to spend less time tomorrow on art and more time on actual game logic, but we shall see.

Atarask
Mar 8, 2008

Lord of Rigel Developer
Well here's a bit more done. and the difficulty selection screen.

Sprite sheet.

Despite trying to base them more on the EGA Trek Mongols than actual klinks... well they still look klinkish.

Difficulty selection. The red is getting nixed as it does distract from the actual selection buttons.

The not-Romulan, Tiberulan logo.

Atarask fucked around with this message at 05:56 on Jul 18, 2017

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

Atarask posted:

Well here's a bit more done. and the difficulty selection screen.

Sprite sheet.

Despite trying to base them more on the EGA Trek Mongols than actual klinks... well they still look klinkish.

Difficulty selection. The red is getting nixed as it does distract from the actual selection buttons.

The not-Romulan, Tiberulan logo.

I get a bunch of FASA Star Trek / Star Fleet Battles vibes off of this and I love it.

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

Last Visible Dog posted:

You're using Clickteam Fusion, right? Would you want some help filling out your bootleg games list? I'm pretty capable with MMF/CF and haven't got a project of my own in this jam.

That would be awesome, thanks! But unfortunately I have 2 artists, so that makes 3 people on my team, which is the max this year... One of them hasn't contacted me so far though, so I'll check and see if he's still planning on helping. If he isn't up for it I'll have room on my team for you. I'll let you know in the next couple days!

a cyberpunk goose
May 21, 2007

LEGS is in good shape and I will reveal all this coming weekend.

EntranceJew
Nov 5, 2009

Speaking of grouping up, Beeconomic Advisors (Tom and myself [we make the basketball pictures]) are looking for a third somebody that wants to do the following:
  • drag prefabs around in Unity to make a level
  • set up custom components with the inspector
  • work with events and not much programming (or very light programming if you want!)

We can run you through the ropes of git, the inspector, prefabs, etc but it's mostly all stuff you could learn from the Roll a Ball tutorial. You can reply here or get to me in the discord. Or on Twitter. Those last two get my attention sooner.

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?

Got a system in place to control spawning in waves, as well as setting up destinations. I'm going to use it in small bursts of like 3 or 4 enemies to ensure I don't fill the screen with dudes if you take too long. It culls dudes who walk off screen too (well there's a death zone but whatevs)

Love Stole the Day
Nov 4, 2012
Please give me free quality professional advice so I can be a baby about it and insult you
Reading this thread is incredibly inspiring, motivating, and yet somehow simultaneously intimidating.

Atarask
Mar 8, 2008

Lord of Rigel Developer
@Drone, thanks! That's what we're going for.

After some of Love's comments we swapped the menu around to the left side:

The red on new game also not nixed on the warp figure, also there's the whole main menu button thing so you can escape:

The super exciting load menu:

The hyper-exciting scores menu:

...and finally options! So many options for a basically glorified ASCII game:

In typical Trek spirit we have so much screenspace to be wasted on useless LCARS stuff! But who needs a good UX in a post scarcity society?

Atarask fucked around with this message at 04:18 on Jul 19, 2017

Typical
Mar 19, 2007

Ive got some props for the interriors now.

and Ive been working on the exterior design as well. Rocks are hard.

Some driving footage.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yRCnaduVY0E

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KRILLIN IN THE NAME
Mar 25, 2006

:ssj:goku i won't do what u tell me:ssj:

Little bit more progress....

https://twitter.com/bonerman_inc/status/887475854304886784

• Locked thread