Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Deified Data posted:

Let them screen Greenskins for you while you build your starting province - when they've lost a city or two and have enemies nearby they'll be a lot more open to it, so check the diplomacy screen often.

Ah alright. Is it worth sieging encampments? I Justg fought a massive battle with Grimgor Ironhide and barely won. Should I keep sieging or is that a waste of time? Should I focus on teching up, or keep trying to attack?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kaza42
Oct 3, 2013

Blood and Souls and all that

Gonkish posted:

Damned Norscans are gonna be a bigger pain in the rear end than ever while playing the Empire.

Also, loving AWESOME MAMMOTHS YO.

Hopefully this means that their army is more than "Leader, 9 horsemen, 10 chariots", so I'm excited

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Gonkish posted:

Damned Norscans are gonna be a bigger pain in the rear end than ever while playing the Empire.

Also, loving AWESOME MAMMOTHS YO.

Honestly with vastly increased melee options I doubt it. They're also insanely vulnerable to missiles considering almost nothing has a shield and a lot of their centerpiece units are huge targets (Mammoths, Fimir, Trolls) and their ranged options are nearly non-existent outside of light skirmishing. Also they're the dedicated anti-large faction and the Empire has the least large units out of any of the factions save for Dwarves.

Like they were annoying because their highest tier units were horsemen/chariots so they spammed the poo poo out of them because their roster was hilariously limited. Now it looks like they'll spam melee poo poo which is way more fun to fight.

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

Ravenfood posted:

Wait, who would the Wolf be if the other four gods are personified as the Eagle, Crow, Serpent, and Hound?

The Norscans have the full roster of gods, not just the Dark Gods. Ulric's the god Sigmar worshipped, and who Nordlanders have always carried a metaphorical torch for. And sure, the local Crow shaman says Ranald's just Crow wearing a Southlander's skin, but name a single godsdamned thing that a Crow shaman doesn't say that about.

loving Crows. Weirdos the lot of them. Now, Hound, that there's a god!

Plan Z
May 6, 2012

Huh. Settlements kind of sound like they're throwing in Welf features. I'm just relieved they can occupy.

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

Jastiger posted:

Ah alright. Is it worth sieging encampments? I Justg fought a massive battle with Grimgor Ironhide and barely won. Should I keep sieging or is that a waste of time? Should I focus on teching up, or keep trying to attack?

As Dwarves vs. Orcs, you actually prefer fighting walled settlements to not doing so; all you need is two catapults and a shitload of quarrellers. Destroy one tower, and set the quarrelers up on the ground; they will kill every orc on the walls until they run out of ammo. At that point have your catapults use the rest of their ammo to knock down a section of the wall, and grind your way through the survivors.

Gay Horney
Feb 10, 2013

by Reene
They released the Wildlings army with pretty good timing

Stephen9001
Oct 28, 2013
The memes are affecting reality..

I can have moments of... eccentricity and sometimes be quite curious about things. Please forgive me if I do something foolish or rude.

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

I'm still waiting for the tilean/estalian expansion, if only so my savage orc campaigns stop having to fight armies of 8-10 outriders and spend 10 minutes every battle just chasing after the fuckers

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

https://youtu.be/_Ojd0BdtMBY?t=4
But what kind of units would Tilea have that would be different from Empire? Legit curious

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Full roster's up in text: https://www.totalwar.com/blog/norsca-army-roster/

Kind of makes the Chaos Warriors pack look worse in retrospect, considering they're the same price.

Kaza42
Oct 3, 2013

Mordja posted:

Full roster's up in text: https://www.totalwar.com/blog/norsca-army-roster/

Kind of makes the Chaos Warriors pack look worse in retrospect, considering they're the same price.

Wait a second. None of those units have bows.... who killed the goblin?

upgunned shitpost
Jan 21, 2015

Shielded crossbowmen, like the Dwarfs and Lothren Seaguard. Flying units that are actually just dudes, again with crossbows. Everything that Di Vinci sketched, ever, with a skull on it somewhere.

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

Glenn Quebec posted:

But what kind of units would Tilea have that would be different from Empire? Legit curious

You know how the Empire's core roster is "pike and shot, only we haven't figured out pikes yet"
The ghostly concept of the Tilean roster, is "strike that, reverse it"

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Glenn Quebec posted:

Eh, CA's at the point where they can make things up almost whole cloth from discontinued model lines, Forgeworld, and snippets of lore, so I'd expect Tilea to have full on pike-and-shot formations and the ability to hire a bunch of stuff from the Dogs of War books. And a bunch of objectives to loot the new world so they can pay all those mercenaries.

NLJP
Aug 26, 2004

This looks real cool. Those mammoth trunks make me uncomfortable though

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

Glenn Quebec posted:

Going by the old Dogs of War lists, Tilea has access to:

"Duelists", two-handed sword infantry.
Pikemen. Not sure how different they'd be compared to spears but it's a thing.
Extra-elite Halberdiers.
A special Paymaster hero. If he dies, the entire army fights frenzies to get back the key to the army's warchest that he was holding.
Halflings.

Tilea also gets to poach some units from other factions' armies, like

Dwarf Warriors & Quarrlers
Ogres
Norscan infantry.

Then there's a whole batch of unique Regiments of Renown that they can hire, including those pistol-wielding Slayers, a pike/crossbow combo unit, and a roving band of drunken knights.

E: Also pavise crossbows and HORSE ARTILLERY :black101:

Triskelli fucked around with this message at 17:47 on Jul 18, 2017

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
they added fimir those loony bastards

i think the only thing completely off the table now is the pygmies

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

CA is doing good stuff with this video game, everything has been dope af so far. I'm just sad it'll all end one day. Maybe TW:W3 will make the End Times loving crazy and it'll be major dope.

Really hope they make Skaven do special and cool poo poo for the End Times like blow up the moon and stuff.

Kaza42
Oct 3, 2013

Tiler Kiwi posted:

they added fimir those loony bastards

i think the only thing completely off the table now is the pygmies

The key part of adding Fimir is that in a Total War game it's super easy to just go "Hey cool reptile cyclopseses!" and just leave off the whole rapey aspect of them. Pygmies don't even have a cool concept going for them, they're just horrible through and through

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Kaza42 posted:

The key part of adding Fimir is that in a Total War game it's super easy to just go "Hey cool reptile cyclopseses!" and just leave off the whole rapey aspect of them. Pygmies don't even have a cool concept going for them, they're just horrible through and through

CA is also gonna imply that the dark elf's slaves are only good for sacrifices or manual labor like toiling in mines or building buildings. Slaaneshi cults aren't into rape anymore. Just good ol' fashioned blood sacrifices.

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

Ew, is rape actually broached by warhammer lore ?

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
I trust in terrible nerds on the internet to never not talk about the rape stuff.

Glenn Quebec posted:

Fimir were a mistake.

They've dumped most everything like that from the lore afaik, because, well, it was bad.

Stephen9001
Oct 28, 2013
Well, the Beastmen are pretty drat rapey, but that's okay, they're hideously evil and all deserve to die, and we never get to see them actually engage in how they reproduce. Too busy being killed by heroic people you see.

I can have moments of... eccentricity and sometimes be quite curious about things. Please forgive me if I do something foolish or rude.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Tiler Kiwi posted:

I trust in terrible nerds on the internet to never not talk about the rape stuff.

GW made rape a thing in their IP and now CA has to make the correct and good decision to not include that in their games. Turbonerds are gonna fret, thinking CA bastardized the setting by making Morathi wear a slutty corset instead of just going tits out or whatever.

I just wanna mash men with pikes and guns into giants and minotaurs and mammoths, goddamn.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Stephen9001 posted:

Well, the Beastmen are pretty drat rapey, but that's okay, they're hideously evil and all deserve to die, and we never get to see them actually engage in how they reproduce. Too busy being killed by heroic people you see.

As are the dark elves. They're also big on the "they'll kill you, rape you, and eat you, and if you're very lucky they'll do it in that order" gig.

Really glad CA's been skirting the "dark fantasy world = rape rape rape" thing that's become increasingly prevalent in the last several years.

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

It's great that CA keeps shaking up tactical battles with stuff like Berserk, but I wish they'd come up with character abilities that aren't "freeze a unit in place" :sigh:

Glenn Quebec posted:

It's a 35-year-old fantasy setting marketed to edgy teenagers with too much money. Search your heart and you'll find your answer. (Don't search google, just your heart. Please.)

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

I hope the Dark Elf money building is a leather workshop (like the Empire's economy is driven by tailors making hats), and their public order building is a night club.

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Ze Pollack posted:

As Dwarves vs. Orcs, you actually prefer fighting walled settlements to not doing so; all you need is two catapults and a shitload of quarrellers. Destroy one tower, and set the quarrelers up on the ground; they will kill every orc on the walls until they run out of ammo. At that point have your catapults use the rest of their ammo to knock down a section of the wall, and grind your way through the survivors.

I have catapults and its saying im' Sieging without any equipment. What giveS?

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

You guys don't understand! My neckbeard is fueled by rape fantasies as a hedge against my fear of women. If CA doesn't include rape in the game, they're clearly SJWs hell-bent on the destruction of the noble, traditional masculinity of which I am obviously an example! Stop oppressing me and my fedora, CA!

Yeah. Not including the rape poo poo in this is a very, very good idea. It never added anything to the setting, because, of course, we already know that life in Warhammer is lovely. Indulging that poo poo in a game that is really about taking piles of ridiculous bullshit and making them murder each other is pointless, unless you're one of those really loving uppity turbonerds who probably made or supported the MLP rape mods for Skyrim or something.

NewMars
Mar 10, 2013

ZearothK posted:

I hope the Dark Elf money building is a leather workshop (like the Empire's economy is driven by tailors making hats), and their public order building is a night club.

I hope it's like the CK2 mod where dark elf buildings have the most hilariously edgy names possible: Fortresses of Desolation, Walls of Malice, Spires of Depravity, Palaces of Pain, ect.

Edit: These are all verbatim, by the way.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe

Jastiger posted:

I have catapults and its saying im' Sieging without any equipment. What giveS?

When they're referring to siege equipment they mean the towers and rams you can build at the attack site. Some units have a keyword that let's them fill this role. I thought grudge throwers did, but if they don't you'll have to build them.

SickZip
Jul 29, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Glenn Quebec posted:

http://www.terminally-incoherent.com/blog/2014/04/07/bizarre-bestiary-fimir/

Here's a brief history of their making and why they were buried as a shameful historical mistake.

The summary was that decided to make a race based on real mythology, didn't think to reflect how disturbing real mythology gets, imported a rape-y backstory without stopping to consider if it was a good idea, and then decided to bury the whole chapter when they realized that it was not a good idea

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Deified Data posted:

When they're referring to siege equipment they mean the towers and rams you can build at the attack site. Some units have a keyword that let's them fill this role. I thought grudge throwers did, but if they don't you'll have to build them.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

SickZip posted:

http://www.terminally-incoherent.com/blog/2014/04/07/bizarre-bestiary-fimir/

Here's a brief history of their making and why they were buried as a shameful historical mistake.

The summary was that decided to make a race based on real mythology, didn't think to reflect how disturbing real mythology gets, imported a rape-y backstory without stopping to consider if it was a good idea, and then decided to bury the whole chapter when they realized that it was not a good idea

Yeah you should be careful with this. I mean there's a Greek myth where Zeus transforms into a swan and rapes a woman.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

There are way worse stories than that in Greek mythology.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

Don't forget the one where he sews someone into his hip, or the time where he ate someone and they came out of his head later.

upgunned shitpost
Jan 21, 2015

Well, I think we can all agree that fimir and beastmen procreation now being the result of rubbing two favour coins together is a vast improvement. Just as logical too.

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable

Super gross. Thanks warhams!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stephen9001
Oct 28, 2013
I can't help but wonder what people's reaction to a race that reproduces by kidnapping and raping men would be like... I suspect the people totally cool with the kidnapping and raping women thing would complain about it either making no sense or marketing to feminists who want to emasculate men (or something dumb like that), people who complain about the existence of things that rape women would likely go "why would this be okay instead?", and there would be (probably a small) a segment of people who would be disturbingly pleased with it, and go like, "ha, let's see how men like when they're on the receiving end of creepy rape stuff! Yeah!".

I strongly suspect it would also depend on how ugly or attractive the race is.

• Locked thread