Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BarbarianElephant
Feb 12, 2015
The fairy of forgiveness has removed your red text.
Good plan Hillary. Also so long and boring that I don't think any voters bothered to read it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Phlegmatist
Nov 24, 2003

VitalSigns posted:

Doesn't repealing Obamacare with a two-year delay and extending it forever have some pretty serious problems.

Insurers have to price their 2019 plans in August or September of 2018 and then they're locked in, if they can't even be sure the subsidies are going to pay out in 2019 because there's a repeal on the books unless congress acts (lol), they'd have to take into account the risk of all but the sickest dropping coverage the instant subsidies vanish. Premiums would go through the roof well in advance of the actual end date of the legislation.

Yes, but actually it's already happening this year on a lesser scale. Insurers don't trust the GOP to keep CSR payments flowing and there's uncertainty about the executive attempting to not enforce the individual mandate. So premiums are going up next year and the GOP doesn't even have to do anything; they cause risk to insurers to go up simply by being in power. 2017 was already an awful year for ACA enrollment since a lot of people saw the GOP take control of the government and assumed ACA would be gone soon, anyway.

Eliminating CSR payments (which is within the executive's power, unless Congress intervenes) has been estimated to cause premiums to rise by ~20% to compensate for it. And insurers aren't going to be caught out by the GOP playing chicken with this; if they think there's a good chance the GOP will eliminate them, insurers are just gonna bake the premium increase into their ACA plans that they submit in September so that they don't lose even more money from the GOP loving around with the ACA.

This, of course, is on top of several insurers already fleeing from the individual markets as quickly as possible to reduce their exposure to ACA, and they're being rewarded with their stock prices going up because of it.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

i'm having a hard time imagining a bill that Republicans could agree to that Democrats could also agree to. Maybe a Medicare for All bill but we let Republicans take credit.

Guarantee the cost sharing subsidies. Republicans actually want those paid they just wanted to grandstand with their lawsuit and then caught the car.

A GIANT PARSNIP
Apr 13, 2010

Too much fuckin' eggnog

i'm having a hard time imagining a bill that Republicans could agree to that Democrats could also agree to. Maybe a Medicare for All bill but we let Republicans take credit.

Eliminate the medical device tax and streamline/loosen some employer regulations in exchange for guaranteeing cost sharing subsidies and making the exchanges cheaper and more accessible for people without employer coverage and/or people in non Medicaid expansion states.

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

A robust, inexpensive public option, but we let the GOP entirely deregulate the private insurance industry in order to victimize anyone dumb enough to not take the government plan.

CAPS LOCK BROKEN
Feb 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Cabbit posted:

A robust, inexpensive public option, but we let the GOP entirely deregulate the private insurance industry in order to victimize anyone dumb enough to not take the government plan.

Believe it or not Germany lets people who opt out of statutory insurance for private insurance purchase loosely regulated plans that are often richer in benefits than government insurance. There is a time and place for purely private insurance but for most people they shouldn't be subject to the whims of profit in health insurance.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Peven Stan posted:

Believe it or not Germany lets people who opt out of statutory insurance for private insurance purchase loosely regulated plans that are often richer in benefits than government insurance. There is a time and place for purely private insurance but for most people they shouldn't be subject to the whims of profit in health insurance.

I'm sure you know this, but it's worth noting that Germany avoided the death spiral from letting people opt out of the standard system by only letting predefined categories of people do it, like those that meet a minimum income threshold. This keeps a stable base of people, healthy and sick, in the statutory health insurance pools.

Zikan
Feb 29, 2004

https://twitter.com/jonfavs/status/887350850481397761

thus goes the third attempt at trumpcare

im sure the fourth will be equally as successful as the other three

BarbarianElephant
Feb 12, 2015
The fairy of forgiveness has removed your red text.

Sir Kodiak posted:

I'm sure you know this, but it's worth noting that Germany avoided the death spiral from letting people opt out of the standard system by only letting predefined categories of people do it, like those that meet a minimum income threshold. This keeps a stable base of people, healthy and sick, in the statutory health insurance pools.

This sounds like a great model for a conservative vision of US healthcare. Pity the actual US conservatives are bugfuck crazy "let them die in the streets" Nazis.

BlueBlazer
Apr 1, 2010

Cabbit posted:

Let the bug gently caress crazies have they're cake. You want to have your super lovely healthcare that doesn't cover poo poo go for it, you have to get it then you are disenrolled in public plan.. The rest of us will just be watching you kill yourself.

If you want to swim with sharks while you are bleeding be my guest but dont force me to swim with them, especially if your proposal is to put laser beams on their heads.

Flip Yr Wig
Feb 21, 2007

Oh please do go on
Fun Shoe

The most likely thing that comes to mind is a dedicated opioid crisis program. It would be perceived as benefiting white people, so it would probably pass the sniff test for a decent amount of Republicans.

evilweasel posted:

Guarantee the cost sharing subsidies. Republicans actually want those paid they just wanted to grandstand with their lawsuit and then caught the car.

While the Republicans probably don't want to catch the blame for being in power while the health system deteriorates, it also doesn't do them any good to make the ACA more functional.

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

BlueBlazer posted:

Let the bug gently caress crazies have they're cake. You want to have your super lovely healthcare that doesn't cover poo poo go for it, you have to get it then you are disenrolled in public plan.. The rest of us will just be watching you kill yourself.
The problem is, if opting out of the government insurance allows you to avoid paying money, the young and healthy will do it, leaving only the sick on the rolls, the aforementioned death spiral.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
So? Let the government subsidize it then, and pay for it with progressive taxation until solvent.

I bet if that happens suddenly all the rich Republican donors will have a sudden change of heart about whether young, healthy people should be forced into the general risk pool.

Konstantin
Jun 20, 2005
And the Lord said, "Look, they are one people, and they have all one language; and this is only the beginning of what they will do; nothing that they propose to do will now be impossible for them.
The Democrats really only need to convince one Republican to support their healthcare plan, and luckily he's rather unconcerned about policy details and mainly wants to be known as a winner who made a great deal to repeal Obamacare. With Trump's support, a lot of Republicans will fall into line.

BlueBlazer
Apr 1, 2010

Dead Reckoning posted:

The problem is, if opting out of the government insurance allows you to avoid paying money, the young and healthy will do it, leaving only the sick on the rolls, the aforementioned death spiral.

You only get to opt out if you actually get something. And go through the paper work to show it.

Laziness will beat out spite.

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Konstantin posted:

The Democrats really only need to convince one Republican to support their healthcare plan, and luckily he's rather unconcerned about policy details and mainly wants to be known as a winner who made a great deal to repeal Obamacare. With Trump's support, a lot of Republicans will fall into line.

Can I have a pony? Or do you have any information that the dems are trying this?

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

PT6A posted:

So? Let the government subsidize it then, and pay for it with progressive taxation until solvent.

I bet if that happens suddenly all the rich Republican donors will have a sudden change of heart about whether young, healthy people should be forced into the general risk pool.

If people are paying for their insurance with direct income taxes, they can't actually opt out.

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Dead Reckoning posted:

If people are paying for their insurance with direct income taxes, they can't actually opt out.

They can opt out of coverage, they can't opt out of paying. Same way anyone can opt out of flying, but can't opt out of paying for the FAA

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Zero chance any Republicans accept that. "Not in my backyardtaxes" is the Republican mating call.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Fulchrum posted:

They can opt out of coverage, they can't opt out of paying. Same way anyone can opt out of flying, but can't opt out of paying for the FAA

Yeah, as I see it, people would pay a standard rate for a "healthy person" to buy into government healthcare, and then general revenue from taxes would make up whatever shortfall. A few years of that and the billionaire cunts will be pleading on bended knee for the return of the Obamacare mandate.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
For all these people who whine "my taxes shouldn't pay for sick people"...what are they okay with their taxes paying for? I'm not seeing huge pushes to dismantle the interstates or anything.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

jivjov posted:

For all these people who whine "my taxes shouldn't pay for sick people"...what are they okay with their taxes paying for? I'm not seeing huge pushes to dismantle the interstates or anything.

Large public infrastructure gets sold off and "privatized". When they get around to it, the push will be to make the interstates toll roads instead.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
So republicans are just libertarians playing the long game?

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

jivjov posted:

better to say libertarians are republicans who haven't figured out not to give the game away yet.

see: Ryan, Paul

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

jivjov posted:

For all these people who whine "my taxes shouldn't pay for sick people"...what are they okay with their taxes paying for?

Nothing. "gently caress You, Got Mine." They've got their money and they want to spend it on themselves, if at all.

Pembroke Fuse
Dec 29, 2008

Spiritus Nox posted:

Nothing. "gently caress You, Got Mine." They've got their money and they want to spend it on themselves, if at all.

The most retread argument in Libertarian circles is whether roads and police should be privatized. Everything else is beyond the pale for them (i.e the government is mostly there to keep the poors from voting themselves anything and protecting property-holders).

twodot
Aug 7, 2005

You are objectively correct that this person is dumb and has said dumb things

jivjov posted:

It's this. The national gas tax that funds highway construction hasn't been raised in 24 years, resulting in solvency issues (edit: because the tax is structured as a flat 18.5 cents per gallon, and not something sensible like a percentage of purchase price):
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Highway_Trust_Fund

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

Large public infrastructure gets sold off and "privatized". When they get around to it, the push will be to make the interstates toll roads instead.

I wish! Missouri is conservative as poo poo and refuses to convert I-70 to a toll road to fund not-collapsing. They'd rather just divert funding from schools.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

PerniciousKnid posted:

I wish! Missouri is conservative as poo poo and refuses to convert I-70 to a toll road to fund not-collapsing. They'd rather just divert funding from schools.

Don't fall for it. They'll make it a toll road and let it collapse anyway.

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

Fulchrum posted:

You already can just not go to the doctor/hospital, so people can't actually opt out of purchasing under your model, which is the only reason people want to be able to opt out of benefits. Which is fine, if that's what you are in favor of, but you need to own that and stop pretending that people can opt out.
Also, understand that a lot of people have legitimate concerns about going to a mandatory "everyone on Medicare/the VA" model.

BlueBlazer
Apr 1, 2010
Yes its asmall amount of people yelling at the top of their lungs about keeping their plans or not paying taxes. What would satisfy these people? Not paying mah taxes, and keep the plan they view as the best in the world(paid for their employer out of some sort of institutional momentum.).

Let those people keep doing what they are doing, its the other 75% of us that are either A. being screwed over by said employer health insurance, b. Don't have insurance/ wont get insurance because they are misers c. Are on Medicare/Medicaid

Proposed solution. Automatically enroll everyone into Medicaid that does not have proof of insurance, though if you have lovely insurance feel free to enroll anyways. 100-150$ a month/payroll tax, if you are above the 1.5x poverty line subsidized if under that[[Insert progressive formulas here]]. You make more than 250k a year you will be taxed at a rate to help make up the shortfall, if there is any. If you are given insurance through your employer or purchase your own insurance/casket you will receive tax credit of the 100-150$/mo, with your proof of insurance.

If you do not enroll and have a cheap high deductible plan, good for you you save a few bucks a month but good luck if you get hurt, the paper trail is there to deny you coverage you selfish gently caress

If you are unemployed and not paying any taxes you are subsidized and have the paper trail to back it up.

If you have a private plan that's plated in unobtainium by your employer, good for you, take back your payroll tax you selfish gently caress.

Let the market go nuts and deregulate to kingdom come, go swim with the sharks, you idiots who think you can negotiate with trillion dollar health conglomerates.

The rest of us small businesses will enroll in this new public option, maybe we have a supplemental insurance that helps out with your kids braces or something. Also if you get unemployed because the ditch digging operation that was paying slave wages/company scrip is forced to pay a minimum wage and just bought a backhoe, you are covered! Employees who are sick of their high deductible poo poo plans offered by their employers can opt-out get a raise and be covered under something that resembles fair coverage. Anything is bettter than the status quo.

It's not "Everyone is on the Medicare model" its "Everyone can be on the Medicare model". Force the lovely people to provide the paper work for their decision, not the other way around with the poor forced to provide mountains of paper work to be accepted.

BlueBlazer fucked around with this message at 18:33 on Jul 19, 2017

empty whippet box
Jun 9, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

jivjov posted:

All money should be given to rich people and anyone who doesn't have money should be converted into money for rich people.

CAPS LOCK BROKEN
Feb 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

jivjov posted:

poo poo white people benefit from.

If Medicare segregated risk pools by race we'd have single payer already

Aeka 2.0
Nov 16, 2000

:ohdear: Have you seen my apex seals? I seem to have lost them.

Dinosaur Gum

We recently had a freeway expansion in California between Orange and Riverside county. They purposely left a choke point to divert people to the new"Express Lanes," except now its a crap shoot if these toll lanes are faster or not because the choke is shared with all the lanes. It blew my mind. My commute has gone up 10 mins since before the construction started. But I might get 3 mins back if I spend up to 8 dollars on the new toll lanes. Not to mention the old stretch of "express lanes" that have been around since '94 is getting congested as well. Its all too little too late with no real relief in sight.

Demon Of The Fall
May 1, 2004

Nap Ghost
I never had to deal with a toll road in my life until I drove from Tennessee to New Hampshire and hit several. I was literally like a deer in headlights, I had no idea what to do.

asdf32
May 15, 2010

I lust for childrens' deaths. Ask me about how I don't care if my kids die.

jivjov posted:

Large amounts of people just don't understand insurance or life in general. If you're a healthy working person you're going to subsidize healthcare for other people no matter what. It doesn't really matter whether it's taxes or premiums.

Like I've had arguments with Obamacare haters and all it came down to is this - they didn't understand what insurance is. Shockingly they also don't get how covering pre-existing conditions goes hand in hand with the insurance mandate and cost regulations (which prevent companies from just charging 100x for a cancer enrollee).

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 32 hours!

jivjov posted:

My step grandpa believes nobody should pay taxes and bitches when he has to go through toll roads.

Rhesus Pieces
Jun 27, 2005

asdf32 posted:

Large amounts of people just don't understand insurance or life in general. If you're a healthy working person you're going to subsidize healthcare for other people no matter what. It doesn't really matter whether it's taxes or premiums.

Like I've had arguments with Obamacare haters and all it came down to is this - they didn't understand what insurance is. Shockingly they also don't get how covering pre-existing conditions goes hand in hand with the insurance mandate and cost regulations (which prevent companies from just charging 100x for a cancer enrollee).

Yeah, willful ignorance combined with extreme selfishness and spite. The thought of paying for some stranger's hospital bill enrages them, especially if they make the lazy assumption that most medical expenses are due to individual irresponsibility.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

A GIANT PARSNIP posted:

Eliminate the medical device tax and streamline/loosen some employer regulations in exchange for guaranteeing cost sharing subsidies and making the exchanges cheaper and more accessible for people without employer coverage and/or people in non Medicaid expansion states.

Something Trump was pushing during the election that has mysteriously fallen by the wayside is allowing international import of prescription drugs.

The big pharma companies live in terror of Americans paying Canadian prices.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Mr Hootington posted:

My step grandpa believes nobody should pay taxes and bitches when he has to go through toll roads.

Uhhhh, so how does he want the roads paid for? Good will and free asphalt?