Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What was your favorite Titan from Titanfall 1?
gundam
megatron
that russian robot from pacific rim
goku
View Results

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

It's about the only thing balancing Ronin right now, who is extremely powerful now that shields don't block executions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wazzit
Jul 16, 2004

Who wants to play video games?
Ronin can soak up a gross amount of damage from all directions with the sword block, it's one thing for a Ronin to block a laser core head on, but to be walking away with a sword up and blocking all damage from behind is pretty ridiculous. If Ronin's downside is occasionally phase shifting and telefraging himself into me because he didn't press the block button, then I'd say Ronin still comes out ahead in this.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
I didn't know that sword block bocks damage from any direction from the front. That's pretty dumb.

But all I said was that it's dumb that the game doesn't warn you you can just instantly kill yourself with the press of a button. Make it a loading screen tooltip.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Snak posted:

I didn't know that sword block bocks damage from any direction from the front. That's pretty dumb.

But all I said was that it's dumb that the game doesn't warn you you can just instantly kill yourself with the press of a button. Make it a loading screen tooltip.

Hey, it's your own fault for not learning the particulars of matter/antimatter dynamics and phase states.

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart

Snak posted:

It seems weird especially since telefragging works the opposite way for pilots, although I can only imagine what a nightmare it would be if it worked that way for Ronin.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Snak posted:

It's not just that it soaks up from any direction; the fact that it's unlimited use is pretty awful considering the insane amount of damage it soaks up. A ronin can literally just walk towards you from halfway across the map, dashing/phasing once or twice, and there's nothing you can do about it, and they're losing maybe 1/4 of their health. It's loving annoying as hell. The only thing I can think of that aggravates me more is the people who have no clue how to play Scorch aside from "walk into people with flame shield up."

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
You clearly play at a different tier of skill than me. I usually am the least worried about enemy Ronins.

Reapers are literally more dangerous to me than Ronins, because they are smaller targets and do a stupid amount of damage.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Kelp Me! posted:

It's not just that it soaks up from any direction; the fact that it's unlimited use is pretty awful considering the insane amount of damage it soaks up. A ronin can literally just walk towards you from halfway across the map, dashing/phasing once or twice, and there's nothing you can do about it, and they're losing maybe 1/4 of their health. It's loving annoying as hell. The only thing I can think of that aggravates me more is the people who have no clue how to play Scorch aside from "walk into people with flame shield up."

:laffo: and people used to say that Sword Block sucked

But yeah, Scorch at this point is in in the skill-tier that Northstar was in at launch. He's much more about positioning, holding back a bit to build cores with chip (wildfire launcher!) and gas/wall damage, then rushing in with a Flame Core for 3 instant kills.

He needs something buffed so he can survive longer on open maps like Homestead, but on maps like Complex, Wargames, and Crash Site he can really shut entire teams down. One of the main things to watch out for, as with Legion, is titan drops. Always be standing in an area with a ceiling if you can.

Snak posted:

You clearly play at a different tier of skill than me. I usually am the least worried about enemy Ronins.

Reapers are literally more dangerous to me than Ronins, because they are smaller targets and do a stupid amount of damage.

What titan do you main?

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

:laffo: and people used to say that Sword Block sucked

But yeah, Scorch at this point is in in the skill-tier that Northstar was in at launch. He's much more about positioning, holding back a bit to build cores with chip (wildfire launcher!) and gas/wall damage, then rushing in with a Flame Core for 3 instant kills.

He needs something buffed so he can survive longer on open maps like Homestead, but on maps like Complex, Wargames, and Crash Site he can really shut entire teams down. One of the main things to watch out for, as with Legion, is titan drops. Always be standing in an area with a ceiling if you can.

What titan do you main?

I never had an issue with Sword Block in the past, not sure if they buffed it or what but lately it seems like all the Ronin players have figured out they can just walk around with their swords up and smash melee when they reach another Titan.

A well-played Scorch is loving scary to go up against, but 90% of my deaths against Scorch are from "hold down flame shield and walk forward." Very often they immediately get ganked by my teammates since that strategy is basically the opposite of how a good Scorch player uses him.

What do you mean about watching out for Titan drops with Legion and Scorch in particular?

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
To clarify, I mean that I am playing against super noobs who don't know how to block. Not that I am good.

I played every titan as I unlocked it, but I didn't like the feel of Legion at all, so I switched back Ronin. I jave played Ronin the most, but obviously I just learned I could telefrag myself, so I haven't played that much.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Kelp Me! posted:

I never had an issue with Sword Block in the past, not sure if they buffed it or what but lately it seems like all the Ronin players have figured out they can just walk around with their swords up and smash melee when they reach another Titan.

A well-played Scorch is loving scary to go up against, but 90% of my deaths against Scorch are from "hold down flame shield and walk forward." Very often they immediately get ganked by my teammates since that strategy is basically the opposite of how a good Scorch player uses him.

What do you mean about watching out for Titan drops with Legion and Scorch in particular?

Yeah, the Flame Shield strat was pushed hard by Frothy and the competitive scene to the point where they consider him a garbo titan because they don't try other kit variants with him.

Seriously, WildFire + Overcore + TitanHunter = Flame Core all day every day.

Oh, with regard to titan drops I just mean that Scorch/Legion are more likely to be dropped on because they are designed to hold down choke points and their speed/movement patterns are more predictable.

BeanpolePeckerwood fucked around with this message at 20:25 on Jul 17, 2017

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

And they don't come with a dash unless you choose that kit as well.

Wazzit
Jul 16, 2004

:psyduck: What is going on here?

https://twitter.com/Titanfallgame/status/887079508171345920

:thunk:

Blind Duke
Nov 8, 2013
I would be fine with more dropship silliness

have a dropship intro with Barker just passed out on the floor, and one of the players goes forward to pull the door release

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

New character class? What helmet is that, one of the 6-4?

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I feel like I can't keep up with the late night weekend crowd anymore. The competition can be goddamn brutal. I feel like it's always been like that, but the last 2 weekends I was just getting slaughtered. I used to be able to at least do decent, but I just play like poo poo anymore.

Probably a combo of good players and me not having the common sense to quit before 3am after playing for 4 hours, well after I've burnt out and I'm half drunk. Playing in the afternoon seems to triple how well I do.

Custom helmets maybe...?

veni veni veni fucked around with this message at 00:57 on Jul 18, 2017

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.
:ohdear:

Guessing Frontier Defense 2.0

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

veni veni veni posted:

I feel like I can't keep up with the late night weekend crowd anymore. The competition can be goddamn brutal. I feel like it's always been like that, but the last 2 weekends I was just getting slaughtered. I used to be able to at least do decent, but I just play like poo poo anymore.

Probably a combo of good players and me not having the common sense to quit before 3am after playing for 4 hours, well after I've burnt out and I'm half drunk. Playing in the afternoon seems to triple how well I do.

Custom helmets maybe...?

The skill of veteran players is on another level at this point, but the game wouldn't be fun for me if I won every round. It has to feel like a battle. Today I played alone and was MVP in a 500-499 win. Felt awesome.

Also, got 6 titan kills in a match last night, including two instances where I cornered a pack of 3 titans and instakilled 2 of them with Flame Core for 30+ points. :rock:

On the other hand I usually get slaughtered by better players after 11pm PST.

BeanpolePeckerwood fucked around with this message at 01:21 on Jul 18, 2017

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
What is the magic determinate for when you can use electrix smoke? I feel like I have an enemy pilot on me 95% of the time and usually there is nothing I can do about it...

Wazzit
Jul 16, 2004

I don't remember the number but you get electric smoke at a certain percentage building your Titan's core.

Also keep in mind that the pilot is going to be 180 from where you're looking when he jumps off. As soon as he jumps off turn 180 and melee. Grab that batter if it's clear and enjoy some hull repair, shields and some build meter to your Core ability.

example:
http://i.imgur.com/fNARttU.gifv

Wazzit fucked around with this message at 08:35 on Jul 18, 2017

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Oh that's why I never get it. I have deployed my core like 4 times ever.

Wazzit
Jul 16, 2004

If you run Overcore on your Titan, you get an electric smoke to begin with.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Run Overcore folks, it's amazing.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
I should, I would ever get my sword core up then.

I've been using the one that gives me an extra dash and the Phase Dash cooldown reduction. I probably don't need both of those.

Exposure
Apr 4, 2014

Insert name here posted:

Guessing Frontier Defense 2.0
It's most likely this; The two guys are from the campaign, they were part of the 6-4 squad Cooper travelled with in Ship to Ship, and datamining has indicated Frontier Defence 2.0 will both have its own separate levelling system and a unique faction tied to it.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

I'd love some kind of PvE mode. This game is so drat fun that a pure co-op mode would just add more, give me some kind of town to defend from an army and a bounty system where the money you put in the bank goes towards defenses or weapons or something.

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

Guillermus posted:

I'd love some kind of PvE mode. This game is so drat fun that a pure co-op mode would just add more, give me some kind of town to defend from an army and a bounty system where the money you put in the bank goes towards defenses or weapons or something.

I'll just say it, it would allow me to continue having fun once I've lost three matches in a row and my night playing against people is obviously over.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

Looks like they let whatshisface with the super dumb (intended as a high complement) reload animations go buck wild. I'm super ok with this.

runchild
May 26, 2010

420 smoke 🎨artisanal🍑 melange erryday

Looks like Droz and Davis are getting hype for Frontier Defense! I'm almost certain that's what the trailer will be about. I'm going with the prediction that they're leaders/announcers for a new FD-only faction.

We'll know more soon.

Skyscraper
Oct 1, 2004

Hurry Up, We're Dreaming

I want to play Frontier Defense but I'd just be happy with more dropship goofiness.

Wazzit
Jul 16, 2004

Frontier Defense trailer is out

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fE7_tVG_t28

Also two new maps, Rise from TF1 and another map for Live Fire.

Wazzit fucked around with this message at 18:01 on Jul 18, 2017

Alehkhs
Oct 6, 2010

The Sorrow of Poets

Skyscraper posted:

I want to play Frontier Defense but I'd just be happy with more dropship goofiness.

The fact that there are maps without dropship intros is a crying shame.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Wazzit posted:

Goddamn.

Brutakas
Oct 10, 2012

Farewell, marble-dwellers!

Wazzit posted:

I had blocked mortar titans out of my memory.

Also, Rise is probably one of my top 3 maps from TF1.

EDIT:

The description mentions new weapons and "warpaints" which will change the look of the actual weapon in addition to providing a chance for double xp. Titans will also have warpaints but only for a limited time.

quote:

Be sure to show off your skills with the new Frontier Titan Warpaints, which each feature an insignia that changes to reflect the highest difficulty of Frontier Defense you have mastered. These skins also grant an XP boost to you and your teammates at the completion of a Frontier Defense match, but these Warpaints are only available for a limited time!

quote:

For Pilots, we're also introducing Elite Weapon Warpaints, custom-designed Warpaints for specific weapons that drastically change the look of your favorite firearms. These Warpaints also grant bonuses to you and your teammates in-game. For each elite weapon warpaint you own, you gain a 10% chance to earn a 2x XP token at the completion of a match (max 30% total).

Brutakas fucked around with this message at 18:41 on Jul 18, 2017

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

Loving how chaotic Frontier Defense looks, and getting another two maps is awesome. Surprised they brought back Rise rather than something like Airbase/Outpost, but it's a really unique map so no complaints here, especially since it's free. They've done an amazing job with the post-launch support for this game and while I hope there's more to come in the future, Frontier Defense is a great way to end the support if they're wrapping things up. I really hope that EA doesn't screw them out of making Titanfall 3.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Really really wanted PvE for this game to get me back in, looks fantastic.

Was afraid it would be something limited to a single map but I'm extremely happy it's launching with 4 or 5 and they're going to be adding more. Can't wait to reinstall this next week.

runchild
May 26, 2010

420 smoke 🎨artisanal🍑 melange erryday

Here's the blog post about it.

-Frontier Defense levels are called "Aegis Ranks." They unlock Titan upgrades that only apply in FD mode "for now" (wtf does that mean.)
-You earn cash to purchase tools and traps between waves. Standard horde mode feature but it wasn't in TF1's version.
-5 maps supported at launch, more coming later.

New purchasables:
-"Elite Warpaints" for weapons. They give XP boosts if you own them.
-Limited edition Titan warpaints that give an XP boost in Frontier Defense and add a shoulder plate to your Titan that shows a symbol based on FD difficulties you've beaten. For real limited edition, as in only available until August 28.
-The boosts help your team, not just you.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

This is pretty exciting. FD sounds awesome.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

So yes, TF2 is my favourite FPS of 2017. I suck at it but is so drat fun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

Yeah that's all looking pretty drat good to me