Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

In Mypos, only the strong survive.

Rallos posted:

How long do you run your lights now? You could try shortening your photoperiod but honestly I'd try more flow first and see if that helps. You don't wanna change too many things too quickly.

Thanks, I'll give this a try.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

visuvius posted:

Looks really nice. What did you use on the inside? I went with a rubberized spray paint that seems to be working pretty well.

Thanks! I did a couple of coats of oil-based KILZ, then a couple of coats of oil based glossy white. Siliconed up the seams pretty well, so that lower tray should hold 5 or so gallons of water in an emergency.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Due to a miscommunication with the LFS, I'm still at least a week out from getting the trim replacement piece for my tank. I was able to get the old trim off, it was nerve-wracking at first but it actually went pretty quickly with a dremel. I still need to build my sump too, I've got the pieces cut to turn a 40b into a nice sump/refugium. Should probably try to get that done this weekend.

Been thinking about stocking for a while, here is what I'm leaning towards at the moment (this is for a 4' 120g):

2 tomato clowns (already have)
1 starry blenny (already have)
1 purple firefish (already have)

want to add
3-4 engineer gobies
1-2 flasher/fairy wrasses (unsure on which type, if 2 would be as dissimilar as possible)
1 copperband butterfly (iffy on this)
1 purple tang

Rallos
Aug 1, 2004
Live The Music

Enos Cabell posted:

Due to a miscommunication with the LFS, I'm still at least a week out from getting the trim replacement piece for my tank. I was able to get the old trim off, it was nerve-wracking at first but it actually went pretty quickly with a dremel. I still need to build my sump too, I've got the pieces cut to turn a 40b into a nice sump/refugium. Should probably try to get that done this weekend.

Been thinking about stocking for a while, here is what I'm leaning towards at the moment (this is for a 4' 120g):

2 tomato clowns (already have)
1 starry blenny (already have)
1 purple firefish (already have)

want to add
3-4 engineer gobies
1-2 flasher/fairy wrasses (unsure on which type, if 2 would be as dissimilar as possible)
1 copperband butterfly (iffy on this)
1 purple tang

Engineer gobies get big don't they?

Also, I should be finally getting the plumbing situated with the help of one of the owners of my LFS and gonna fill it up. Will post pics.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Rallos posted:

Engineer gobies get big don't they?

Also, I should be finally getting the plumbing situated with the help of one of the owners of my LFS and gonna fill it up. Will post pics.

They get to about a foot long, but everything I've read says they only need a 55g tank and prefer to be kept in groups. I really want an eel, and they are as close as I'm likely to get in a mixed reef tank.

Rallos
Aug 1, 2004
Live The Music

Enos Cabell posted:

They get to about a foot long, but everything I've read says they only need a 55g tank and prefer to be kept in groups. I really want an eel, and they are as close as I'm likely to get in a mixed reef tank.

You could get a snowflake eel. I have one and they are great. Small crabs and shrimp are lunch but he doesn't bother snails or fish. I had a little one a while back with a large coral banded shrimp and he was scared of the shrimp.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice
The best small eel for that size of tank is a pair of dwarf golden moray. Stays less than 1' long and very well behaved. Doesn't even eat my small crabs or snails.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Dwarf golden morays look like they might work out pretty great. You don't think I'd have to worry about the firefish?

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice

Enos Cabell posted:

Dwarf golden morays look like they might work out pretty great. You don't think I'd have to worry about the firefish?

I don't have anything that small in my tank, even my male Picasso clown is at least 1.5x the mass. However, the dwarf golden moray mouth is really small and can barely grab a cube of meaty food, so I wouldn't really worry. Mine doesn't look like it goes hunting very much anyway, at least vs. what my melanurous wrasses do.

Plus which would you rather have, a cool pair of morays or a stupid firefish? ;)

Bruce Boxlicker
Jul 26, 2004

Fun Shoe
Dwarf morays are a cool idea but judging by the reality I've seen in my local club, they don't tend to work out. One lady bought a pair and they both squirmed out her glass lidded top through the plastic attachment piece on the back. The other pair I saw purchased both decided to swim through the same MP10 within 24 hours of each other. Just my two cents.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice
As far as I know they don't hold an escape artist reputation up here.

For what it's worth mine just sticks his head out the rocks until feeding time.

Maybe the amount of rockwork available to it is a factor.

Bruce Boxlicker
Jul 26, 2004

Fun Shoe
How big of a tank? You got any pictures? I love eels but they wouldn't play nicely with my reef tanks.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice

Bruce Boxlicker posted:

How big of a tank? You got any pictures? I love eels but they wouldn't play nicely with my reef tanks.

2x3' footprint, of which it's mostly rocks. My pair of melanurous wrasse is more of a menace in that tank.

visuvius
Sep 24, 2007
sta da moor
There was someone in here, possibly Enos, that had to basically take down a tank because of bryopsis. I'm wondering if whoever it was ever tried Fluconazole. Seems like a relatively new treatment for it that I hadn't seen before.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

visuvius posted:

There was someone in here, possibly Enos, that had to basically take down a tank because of bryopsis. I'm wondering if whoever it was ever tried Fluconazole. Seems like a relatively new treatment for it that I hadn't seen before.

Yeah, that was me. I actually had heard about the fluconazole before I tore my tank down, but I couldn't find any info that I didn't have to run through google translate first. The huge fluconazole thread on reef2reef forums showed up like a month later.

I did still have some bryopsis on a few of the frag rocks I'm trying to save, so I went ahead and ordered some fluconazole and did the treatment. This was two months ago, and I haven't seen a single speck of bryopsis since. It really seems to work perfectly, wish I'd given it a shot before tearing down my tank.

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

If only they could make something similar for aiptasia.

Bruce Boxlicker
Jul 26, 2004

Fun Shoe
I've done 2x double dose treatments of fluconozole only to have bryopsis come back weeks later. It has stayed in my longer photo period sump for over a year though.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

My trim piece FINALLY came in. Hoping to get my rockscape done and the tank filled this weekend (if my RODI can keep up).

Wandering Orange
Sep 8, 2012

Man, I hope everything goes well for you after all the setbacks with that build. Hopefully you don't overgrow the tank in a year too!

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

So far so good, got the trim piece installed and the first half of the aquascape more or less in place. Drilled the rock with a masonry bit, and then used fiberglass rod to make some pillars. I rinsed and added about 100lb of sand, and then filled the tank with enough water to cover the rock. I've still got a bunch of more interesting looking rock to work in tomorrow.

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

Looks sweet, how did you make the bases for the rock kebabs?

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

I just drilled straight through all of those rocks with a masonry bit, and have a single 3/8" fiberglass rod going through them. They're sitting on egg crate, and it's pretty stable. They didn't wobble when I pushed on them from the sides at least.

Finished adding the rest of my rock, though the sandbed area is bound to change up some. My goal was to have nothing epoxied or cemented into place, so I could remove any single rock without too much hassle if needed, and I think I attained that. Also managed to get the plumbing sorted out yesterday. I converted the factory drilled overflow into a herbie style, with a return coming up and over the top from the back. Works beautifully, and is orders of magnitude quieter than the factory style durso.

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

Looks amazing. How did you attach the rod to the egg crate?

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Bulky Bartokomous posted:

Looks amazing. How did you attach the rod to the egg crate?

Thanks! It's not actually attached to anything, it's just resting on the egg crate.

e: drat! Just checked with my LFS, and he has a pair of dwarf golden morays in the shop right now, but they are $190 each. Too rich for my blood, might have to go with engineer gobies after all.

Enos Cabell fucked around with this message at 23:42 on Jun 12, 2017

Rallos
Aug 1, 2004
Live The Music
I've owed this thread some pictures of the 220 for a while. I have added all the tangs that I am going to have for a little while (I might get a blue hippo in the future). I still need some smaller angels (lemon peel, flame, etc) but it's mostly done. Added a Naso Tang and a Powder Blue Tang yesterday. Please don't mind the water marks on the glass...

(I tried to get a better eel picture but he decided to be shy)

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Gorgeous fish! That is a great looking tank.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Well I didn't get a pair, but I did pick up a dwarf golden moray this weekend. That dude is so amazingly cool, thanks for pointing me in that direction! Also picked up a McCosker's flasher wrasse and a red-head solon fairy wrasse. Moved my existing fish into the 120, and the new guys will chill with the frags in the 40 for the next month.

Aiptasia popped up again in the 40, so I want to try to get that under control before I move the coral over. Still no more sign of bryopsis at least. My frogspawn are going absolutely nuts though, I've got at least 20 heads of that now. I might turn that large flat rock out front into a forest of it.

Qadaffi Taffy
Oct 1, 2006

3.14159 26535 89793 23846 26433 83279 50288 41971 69399 37510
Here is my Fluval Evo 13.5 at around three months.

Livestock: blue damsel, two clowns, Yello goby, skunk shrimp, emerald crab, turbo snails, one nassarius snail, two blue hermits, one red hermit, zoa frag, frog spawn frag and plenty of algae and copepods.

The tank is coming along nicely. I had a Fluval PS2 skimmer in there that was so noisy I could here it upstairs so I sent it back.

I'm in love with my frogspawn. It already has little babby spawns growing from the base!

The fish are very happy and healthy but the blue damsel is aggressive at times towards the goby. Which is weird cause the goby and damsel were added at the same time well after the tank was established with clowns etc. I feel bad cause the got doesn't really have a home. He just rests along the glass and chills. He's eating and appears healthy. Everyone else seems to have their "home" in the tank. I wonder if I should take him out and give him to someone or back to the store.

Another annoyance is a small amount of strands of algae on the one rock that keeps coming back.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice
Welp, mysterious death of my yellow tang. Found the corpse remarkably complete (no eyes tho) and flushed it.

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE posted:

Welp, mysterious death of my yellow tang. Found the corpse remarkably complete (no eyes tho) and flushed it.

Sorry to hear that. I bury my fish near my shed. Maybe in a million years an alien paleontologist will be baffled by fossils that don't belong here.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice

Bulky Bartokomous posted:

Sorry to hear that. I bury my fish near my shed. Maybe in a million years an alien paleontologist will be baffled by fossils that don't belong here.

Nah they'll be like "well these things clearly were able to walk on land too"

Rallos
Aug 1, 2004
Live The Music

Caught my puffer puffing up today! Nothing stressed him out that I could figure out. Just turned to look at the tank and there he was all puffed up. He deflated himself shortly after this photo and came begging for food so I think he was just "stretching his muscles" so to speak.

thegasman2000
Feb 12, 2005
Update my TFLC log? BOLLOCKS!
/
:backtowork:
Used to have a pet puffer in the shop I worked and he did it every morning. Reckon he was yawning :)

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

Rallos posted:

Caught my puffer puffing up today! Nothing stressed him out that I could figure out. Just turned to look at the tank and there he was all puffed up. He deflated himself shortly after this photo and came begging for food so I think he was just "stretching his muscles" so to speak.

:3:

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Busy weekend, but I've finally got my 120 set up and stocked and finally "finished" after starting this process last fall. Last steps were popping then lenses off my LED light fixture and moving that over, moving the new fish from QT to DT, and then moving all the corals over into the new tank.

Didn't have time for pics yet, but it's looking pretty badass now. My dwarf golden moray is really digging his new rockwork too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nUuHEDP5DQU

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

I can add Humu Humu to list of species of animals that have bitten me. He's been getting bolder lately, last night I wasn't watching while siphoning and he got me right on the fingertip. Not big enough to draw blood yet but it was a pretty good pinch!

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Few pics of the new tank and fish.

Also picked up a purple tang this weekend. He'll be in QT for a few weeks, here's a pic of him during acclimation.

Stay Safe
Sep 1, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
why don't you nerds get some dank nugs and watch fishcenter live? http://www.adultswim.com/videos/fishcenter/

anomalous_pariah
Jul 14, 2017
nice fish tank

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bruce Boxlicker
Jul 26, 2004

Fun Shoe

BrienneGetsHanged posted:

why don't you nerds get some dank nugs and watch fishcenter live? http://www.adultswim.com/videos/fishcenter/

cuz i'd rather extract my dank nugz and watch my own reef????????

you suuuuuuck

• Locked thread