Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Vadoc posted:

There had been official mentions of Space Marines before.

”Sunstroke” from GDW’s Challenge magazine 36, 1988
GDW were not GW. TBH GW giving zero shits about the USA back then is probably why they weren't sued for that article.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

Moose_Knuck posted:

Night Lords was actually the first series I read, after I couldn't get into Eisenhorn, initially.
I meant that someone with no knowledge of 40K whatsoever would have problems understanding what was going on with the Night Lords trilogy.

Cythereal posted:

I think Lord of the Night works better as standalone than the Night Lords series proper.
I agree. It's told from a repeatable perspective, whereas the Talos books require you to know what the core concepts of 40K are. They're great books, but they kind of throw you into the deep end.

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
Not having read the Talos series, and fearful of the answer, yet I ask: What are the core concepts of Warhammer 40K?

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Hopelessness

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER
War.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Only.

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

Varying amounts of Grimness and Darkness.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003
That, and the fact that there are genetic supersoldiers running around, half of which rebelled in a galaxy-spanning civil war. There's the warp, and Chaos, in general, added to the fact that, while the books are great for allowing you to actually connect with the characters (specifically Talos,) the impact is lessened if you don't know the Night Lords are horrific monsters.

I'm not saying that they aren't good books (I love them,) but I think they require a certain familiarity with 40K. Anyone visiting this thread is not going to have any issues with the books, as they at least are likely to have a passing understanding of 40K. Someone who says "I like Star Wars - what's this Warhamster thing I've been hearing about" might need a bit of a tutorial before being handed a stack of Night Lords books.

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
I was going to say "millions of loving skulls", but I dig your takes :shobon:

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

You will find no one to help you here. Beth DuClare has been dissected and placed in cryonic storage.

berzerkmonkey posted:

That, and the fact that there are genetic supersoldiers running around, half of which rebelled in a galaxy-spanning civil war. There's the warp, and Chaos, in general, added to the fact that, while the books are great for allowing you to actually connect with the characters (specifically Talos,) the impact is lessened if you don't know the Night Lords are horrific monsters.

I'm not saying that they aren't good books (I love them,) but I think they require a certain familiarity with 40K. Anyone visiting this thread is not going to have any issues with the books, as they at least are likely to have a passing understanding of 40K. Someone who says "I like Star Wars - what's this Warhamster thing I've been hearing about" might need a bit of a tutorial before being handed a stack of Night Lords books.

The flip side is that you find out they're horrific monsters, especially in the third book.

Foxtrot_13
Oct 31, 2013
Ask me about my love of genocide denial!
40k is basically shits hosed and there is nothing you can do to fix it.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Foxtrot_13 posted:

40k is basically shits hosed and there is nothing you can do to fix it.

poo poo's mostly hosed, you can't get it unfucked, but, if you're lucky, by heroic effort you might keep some of your poo poo from getting hosed.

At which point you realize you're still living in the middle of a massive mountain of poo poo. Then you probably die in agony.

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER

The Rat posted:

The flip side is that you find out they're horrific monsters, especially in the third book.

I love Octavia's reaction. She's reminded how hosed up the Night Lords are after having grown complacent about them.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

chiasaur11 posted:

poo poo's mostly hosed, you can't get it unfucked, but, if you're lucky, by heroic effort you might keep some of your poo poo from getting hosed.

At which point you realize you're still living in the middle of a massive mountain of poo poo. Then you probably die in agony.

There are places like Ultramar where that's not true. In short story in the Iron Warriors omnibus the Mechanicus screwed up and caused an industrial accident, and they ended up having to close the mine because all the workers moved away and got different jobs because negligently killing a hundred people doesn't fly there.

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface
Yeah there are a bunch of worlds where things are actually pretty decent its just we never see those ones in the books. The imperium kinda does not give a gently caress what you do or how you run your world as long as you tithe basically.

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?

Tias posted:

Not having read the Talos series, and fearful of the answer, yet I ask: What are the core concepts of Warhammer 40K?

There may be a human rights violation or two by the Emperor's administration.

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

Tias posted:

The Emperor was a bad dad.

Zasze
Apr 29, 2009

Zil posted:

The Emperor was a bad dad.

The emperor was a bad leader in general, basically the only thing he had going for him was immortality and strong psychic powers.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

Zasze posted:

The emperor was a bad leader in general, basically the only thing he had going for him was immortality and strong psychic powers.

I disagree, his very presence created a society that lasted 10 millennia at least. This isn't quite the society he had in mind, but it is still a society in his name. That's pretty drat good and a "bad leader" would never achieve anything of the sort.

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

No Decepticon in history, and I say this with great surety, has been treated worse or more unfairly.
HERETICS!!!!!

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

I disagree, his very presence created a society that lasted 10 millennia at least. This isn't quite the society he had in mind, but it is still a society in his name. That's pretty drat good and a "bad leader" would never achieve anything of the sort.

Sitting dead in a chair tomb thing isn't being a leader.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

MariusLecter posted:

That was only the last 10 millennia. He was bringing humanity out of the Age of Strife the previous 8-ish thousand years (M23.) Since the M31, the High Lords have been in charge, loving things up along the way.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

MariusLecter posted:

But having a smooth succession is. This is why Alexander the Great was a poor leader in the grand scheme of things.

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

ALL ABOARD THE SCOTLAND HYPE TRAIN!

CHOO CHOO

MariusLecter posted:

I would gladly trade that for some of our current elected leaders....

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
Just ordered Carrion Throne and Master of Mankind hard covers from Amazon cause I got some gift cards thrown my way. Is that new Lorgar book any good?

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

I haven't really enjoyed any of them so far, and I've bailed out of the Primarchs. They all seem to be throw-away pieces. Have you read Red Tithe? That was pretty good.

rocket_man38
Jan 23, 2006

My life is a barrel o' fun!!
Just finished "Galaxy in Flames". Everyone just went 0 to killing babies pretty quick. Didn't really understand how Horus convinced others to join so easily.

Foxtrot_13
Oct 31, 2013
Ask me about my love of genocide denial!

rocket_man38 posted:

Just finished "Galaxy in Flames". Everyone just went 0 to killing babies pretty quick. Didn't really understand how Horus convinced others to join so easily.

The Speeece Marines joined in because they are bio-engineered to obey their primarchs.

The other primarchs?

Mostly massive unresolved daddy issues

Fulgrim? Possessed by a demon
Perturabo? Wanted to build poo poo and the Big E forced him to destroy poo poo. Daddy issues.
Curze? hosed in the head and predestined to fall because he had seen he already did. And massive daddy issues due to hypocrisy of the Impirium
Angron? Massive daddy issues due to the Big E letting his bros be butchered. Plus the butchers nails and seeing the Big E for the fascist he was
Mortarion? No body liked him but his best bud and the Big E was a massive hypocrite due to psykers. Daddy issues again
Magnus? The Big E wouldn't let him play with magic and sulked when Rus came a knocking.
Lorgar? Daddy issues when the Big E wouldn't let him be worshiped.
Apharius? Conned by aliens

Initially this was just a "Horus is right, the Emperor is wrong lets build a better empire" with the truth only really known by Lorgar and Horus.

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

A terrible combination of daddy issues, demonic possession, insanity and doing it for their own ends.

Demon Of The Fall
May 1, 2004

Nap Ghost
Also by the time the heresy kicks off the warrior lodges had infiltrated the legions for decades, slowly sowing chaos corruption within the leadership and the rank and file.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

Demon Of The Fall posted:

Also by the time the heresy kicks off the warrior lodges had infiltrated the legions for decades, slowly sowing chaos corruption within the leadership and the rank and file.

Yeah, this was not well explained at all, especially in the first HH books. It was portrayed like "Hey - we've got a secret club. You wanna join?" to Horus almost dying a week later to BLOODBLOODBLOOD about three days after.

Zasze
Apr 29, 2009

rocket_man38 posted:

I would have much rather the heresy start in earnest as trying to improve things and then slowly go to poo poo rather than Horus waking up from his nap EVIL.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

Yeah, start as a kind of wake up that dad was awful and justifying evil acts as necessary to dethrone a tyrant, not moustache twirling villain territory. All it would need is some regret and personal pain displayed by Horus to the rest of the Mournival.

Demon Of The Fall
May 1, 2004

Nap Ghost

berzerkmonkey posted:

Yeah, this was not well explained at all, especially in the first HH books. It was portrayed like "Hey - we've got a secret club. You wanna join?" to Horus almost dying a week later to BLOODBLOODBLOOD about three days after.

Yeah it really wasn't. I think it was ADB who goes into more detail that the lodges have been within the traitor legions for at least years, if not decades. Especially in the specific case of the Word Bearers.

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

So an Age of Sigmar novel won this years best novel Gemell award. :eyepop:

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2017/07/17/gemmell-awards-warbeast/

I'd previously dismissed all AoS novels as being obvious trash even by genre fiction standards.

Has anyone actually read this?

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I don't put much stock in literary awards since the sad puppies nonsense with the Hugos. That being said I haven't bothered to read any Age of Sigmar stuff either so I can't say if my belief holds any weight in this instance.

rocket_man38
Jan 23, 2006

My life is a barrel o' fun!!

Zasze posted:

I would have much rather the heresy start in earnest as trying to improve things and then slowly go to poo poo rather than Horus waking up from his nap EVIL.

This is what i was expecting. Revenge of the Sith level good to bad was what came out.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
I feel offended on his behalf that an award with Gemell's name on it was given to Gav Thorpe.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003
I've been put off by the mess that is the AoS background, and have avoided the books (possibly fueled out of spite from the Old World fiasco,) but I have heard that a few are alright. There's a new one coming out that actually focuses on humans (Eight Lamentations: Spear of Shadows,) so people are excited for it.

Are the Gemmell Awards voted on by the public? If so, I don't imagine it would be difficult for GW to market for a win, just because it has a bigger online presence than the other publishers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

uncle w benefits
Nov 1, 2010

hi, it's me, your uncle
I just ordered the special edition of Lorgar: Bearer of the Word for $65.

How dumb am I?