Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

ICHIBAHN posted:

Don't do any of that. Be a nice person

heck off, dingleberry

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

willie_dee
Jun 21, 2010
I obtain sexual gratification from observing people being inflicted with violent head injuries
Get to the point where you can pretty much beat up anyone who doesn't train like you and the confidence to put people in their place when they get froggy becomes completely natural.

JaySB
Nov 16, 2006

willie_dee posted:

Get to the point where you can pretty much beat up anyone who doesn't train like you and the confidence to put people in their place when they get froggy becomes completely natural.

You realize that you have no idea who the other person who might get "froggy" is or what they're capable of right? This false sense of over confidence will get you killed.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

JaySB posted:

You realize that you have no idea who the other person who might get "froggy" is or what they're capable of right? This false sense of over confidence will get you killed.
Remember when Willie chased a bike thief without any idea if they were armed or not?

Neon Belly
Feb 12, 2008

I need something stronger.

please don't talk back to noted forum user willie dee

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Three years of aikido training have left me confident I can put him in his place if he gets froggy. :smuggo:

willie_dee
Jun 21, 2010
I obtain sexual gratification from observing people being inflicted with violent head injuries

JaySB posted:

I have found that anyone who can handle themselves with any kind of certainty doesn't feel the need to overcompensate by being a dick to people, most of a fight is mental and you trying to tell people not to be confident is going to get someone killed.

willie_dee
Jun 21, 2010

Siivola posted:

Remember when Willie chased a bike thief without any idea if they were armed or not?

Good confident times.

(He was armed with a hammer but it was no match for my confidence)

Novum
May 26, 2012

That's how we roll

willie_dee posted:

I have found that anyone who can handle themselves with any kind of certainty doesn't feel the need to overcompensate by being a dick to people, most of a fight is mental and you trying to tell people not to be confident is going to get someone killed.

For posterity

Wangsbig
May 27, 2007

willie_dee posted:

you are a living meme

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

:allears: I'm a big fan of when Dee posts; makes the thread so much more lively.

fuck. marry. t-rex
Jan 23, 2014

Lipstick Apathy

02-6611-0142-1 posted:

heck off, dingleberry

willie_dee
Jun 21, 2010

KildarX posted:

:allears: I'm a big fan of when Dee posts; makes the thread so much more lively.

Yea it's been too quiet recently, I've not been having any adventures so I thought I'd chime in on the being assertive enough to not let strangers touch you.

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

Does anybody know why small joint manipulation is illegal in MMA and BJJ? I've been thinking about it since a new guy tried to twist my fingers to get out of a rear naked choke. It didn't do much.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

My guess is that they break easily and heal poorly.

Omglosser
Sep 2, 2007

Recommendations for bjj/mma schools in the Minneapolis area? Preferably not cult-y or having an overly serious attitude. Something more for a hobbyist.

fuck. marry. t-rex
Jan 23, 2014

Lipstick Apathy

02-6611-0142-1 posted:

Does anybody know why small joint manipulation is illegal in MMA and BJJ? I've been thinking about it since a new guy tried to twist my fingers to get out of a rear naked choke. It didn't do much.

i think most fighters would just fight through several broken fingers and it heals like poo poo so everyone would be forced to have brick hands and never hold a cup again to compete

generatrix
Aug 8, 2008

Nothing hurts like a scrape

02-6611-0142-1 posted:

It was explained to me this way:
"A broken toe or finger will never make you lose a fight, but it could end your career."

Small joint manipulation is generally a terrible way to try to influence the immediate situation, even in a hostile environment. Meanwhile it is a fairly high risk of leaving permanent damage that will negatively affect someone forever, even when done in a friendly environment.

DandyLion
Jun 24, 2010
disrespectul Deciever

Curious where the consensus on the ineffectual results of small joint manipulations came from. I've heard the opposite from some folks that an unusable hand is a serious detriment in a streetfight (not implying the aforementioned statement is wrong just wondering if there was some well experience and respected source that claims it).

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

DandyLion posted:

Curious where the consensus on the ineffectual results of small joint manipulations came from. I've heard the opposite from some folks that an unusable hand is a serious detriment in a streetfight (not implying the aforementioned statement is wrong just wondering if there was some well experience and respected source that claims it).

It's not that its ineffectual, breaking/fracturing a finger and trying to roll with someone sucks, just the efficacy of it as an escape or a strategy. I mean yea you could break or fracture a finger while I have you in an RNC but instead of working an escape that could work you're hoping that 1) you can break my finger before you go to sleep and 2) if you do break one of my fingers that I don't just get more pissed/ignore it and just choke you out.

In short I've rolled with a fractured toe and a really messed up finger before and it kinda sucks. I've never rolled while choked unconscious.

JaySB
Nov 16, 2006

Omglosser posted:

Recommendations for bjj/mma schools in the Minneapolis area? Preferably not cult-y or having an overly serious attitude. Something more for a hobbyist.

There's a Rickson Gracie school in Minneapolis I'd probably start there. The Alliance affiliate could be good. A brief glance of the rest of them are basically meh. Beware of anyone who says they are a black belt but doesn't list who they got it from.

wedgie deliverer
Oct 2, 2010

the yellow dart posted:

Anyone have input on BJJ gyms in northern Virginia? Coming from a Riberio gym so a little biased towards their affiliate in Springfield, but looking for anywhere else that might be interesting in the Alexandria/eastern NOVA section (that isn't associated with LI). The Caio Terra affiliate seems decent and I've heard good things about Pentagon MMA from muay thai types, but not sure what the scene is like up there right now. I have friends who train at 50/50 and other Vienna/Falls Church gyms, but looking towards Alexandria in particular.

https://www.testudobjj.com/

I know this instructor here, Ervin, and he's a great teacher and coach. Totally recommend.

Pentagon MMA also has a very good teacher, Sugi. I think he placed top 8 at -73kg in the 2004 Olympics for Judo representing Mongolia, and is also a BJJ black belt. He's a loving beast, and despite not having great english, is still extremely good at teaching.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
Thursday morning 196.6lbs at end of training camp and dieting
Thurs night: 192.4 after a dump, backing off water, and sipping peanut powder and banana chips
Fri morning: 191
Fri afternoon: 190 after sipping water
after 20min Epsom salt bath: 188.2
15min more of salt bath: 186.2.

Weighing in for 85kg, 187lbs. Cutting weight is brutal.

mewse
May 2, 2006

kimbo305 posted:

Thurs night: 192.4 after a dump, backing off water, and sipping peanut powder and banana chips

10lbs is no joke

fuck. marry. t-rex
Jan 23, 2014

Lipstick Apathy
fight at your healthy weightclass

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

gently caress. marry. t-rex posted:

fight at your healthy weightclass

I was gonna argue with you, but I realized I'm under 190 just a few hour a year.

old.flv
Jan 28, 2017

A good lad who likes his Anna's.

kimbo305 posted:

did you run your epsom bath with rubbing alcohol too? wish you the best man

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Lost pretty bad. Huge knockdown that I barely made the count on, and was way too one dimensional after that, knocked down twice more. Well, couldn't have been more two knockdowns cuz 2 in a round would be fight over.
Have video; will share.

kimbo305 fucked around with this message at 18:39 on Jul 22, 2017

Kekekela
Oct 28, 2004

kimbo305 posted:

Lost pretty bad. Huge knockdown that I barely made the count on, and was way too one dimensional after that, knocked down twice more. Well, couldn't have been more two knockdowns cuz 2 in a round would be fight over.
Have video; will share.

Sorry to hear that man. Hats off to you in any event, takes a brave man to step in a cage.

fuck. marry. t-rex
Jan 23, 2014

Lipstick Apathy
I look forward to the video post d00d I like watching posters matches, and sorry about the loss after a hard cut v.v

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

I look forward to the video post d00d I like watching posters matches, and sorry about the loss after a hard cut v.v

I feel like that's a thing that could have useful statistics done on it.

How often do fighters lose after hard cuts, and is this a good reason to fight at your healthy weight instead?

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Ok, here's a handcam off of my coach's camera:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BE9L035Zwu0
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pg_K4wQKuKA
That second knockdown was a TKO.

fuck. marry. t-rex
Jan 23, 2014

Lipstick Apathy
drat you fell apart when he threw that first superman punch, x.x

that guys boxing was way ahead of you, no offense

Novum
May 26, 2012

That's how we roll
Good effort.

What are the general sanda rules?

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

drat you fell apart when he threw that first superman punch, x.x

that guys boxing was way ahead of you, no offense
His boxing was manageable; I was way anxious and kept diving into his uppercut instead of keeping my distance. I should have let him keep coming to me.

E: also, I thought his technique sucked, so doubly depressing to lose so hard to him.

All those naked high kicks were cuz my teammate landed a solid head kick and the fight before me ended on a head kick KO -- just kept visualizing scoring that way instead of putting together straight punch combos.
My coach was pretty unhappy with my performance; worse than last year's, maybe.

kimbo305 fucked around with this message at 00:44 on Jul 23, 2017

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Sanda rules, off the top of my head:
- no knees or elbows
- no striking while attempting a throw or takedown, though you can hit while being grappled
- 1pt for each landed punch
- 1pt for kicks above the knee and below the waist
- 2pts for kicks above the waist
- 2pts for a clean throw or fall (like when I tried to teep him off but slipped)
- 2pts for pushing opponent off but staying on the platform
- 1 pt for a throw where you land on the opponent
- 1 pt for knockdowns
- win the round for two push outs
- win the fight by KO or TKO

fuck. marry. t-rex
Jan 23, 2014

Lipstick Apathy

kimbo305 posted:

His boxing was manageable; I was way anxious and kept diving into his uppercut instead of keeping my distance. I should have let him keep coming to me.

E: also, I thought his technique sucked, so doubly depressing to lose so hard to him.

All those naked high kicks were cuz my teammate landed a solid head kick and the fight before me ended on a head kick KO -- just kept visualizing scoring that way instead of putting together straight punch combos.
My coach was pretty unhappy with my performance; worse than last year's, maybe.

I mean he wasn't doing particularly skillfully-well but it seems like you got tilted and weren't effectively defending / countering regardless, I guess. On your second down with thr head kick, that was you losong your footing on the mat right? I need to get my rear end to a competition of some sort so I can get beat up but they are all like 2 hrs away from me in san jose / the south bay v.v

Thanks again for the vids

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

I mean he wasn't doing particularly skillfully well but it seems like you were tilted and not effectively defending / countering regardless, I guess.

Yeah, my default is to stay on the outside and counter, and that part of my game just disappeared when I stepped onto the platform. Once I got knocked down, I couldn't keep calm enough to cobble anything together, which led to that second huge knockdown. I got into his mindset that I had to hurt him back, which absolutely isn't necessary under the rules to win. The guy hit haaard -- in 3 previous amateur fights and hundreds of rounds sparring, I'd been flash knocked down once. It was such a great equalizer.

Getting more sanda experience is hard cuz so few people participate in it. I flew out to TX for one fight :/

Novum
May 26, 2012

That's how we roll
I will sanda you in boston rn

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

kimbo305 posted:

Sanda rules, off the top of my head:

How many rounds? Your opponent looked totally gassed out.