Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
I don't think they kept cloak shimmer because it's the best mechanic, but it feels really blizzardy and familiar now after SC and SC2. There's a reason most other games don't use it but it's harder to weigh that against the distinctive feel of it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gustav
Jul 12, 2006

This is all very confusing. Do you mind if I call you Rodriguez?
Bad players are always going to find some dumb supposedly unfair thing to complain about, be it full screen hadoukens, zergling rushes, counterspells, sniper rifles... Stealth heroes is as good as anything else. If you try to cater to such people you'll be doing it forever.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Stealth good. Shimmer good. Teaching new players about them effectively would be good.

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010

Fellatio del Toro posted:

If you guys like dumb mechanics taken from the old bad engine the game is built on that exist primarily to punish new/low skill players because it makes the veterans feel better then boy do I have a MOBA that you're gonna love!!

You can do way more work as Thrall or Kerrigan roaming around ganking people who are out of position. People are just blaming stealth to make themselves feel better. "I couldn't see the enemy hero come up to me while I was soloing that fort in an empty lane. There's just nothing I could have done to avoid being killed."

Perhaps they should also remove towers because they are killing people in AI games?

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

"Can you see this vague visual effect, which may or may not appear differently depending on monitor, internal hardware, or display settings?" is a bad skill check. Either they should just be immune to AA and targeted attacks but have a very clear outline to show they are stealthed or just be totally invisible and then balanced around that decision. Something doesn't have to be broken to be a bad mechanic. If they are just punishing people that get out of formation or soloing a fort as much as other assassins anyway then it feels like it's just a way to screw over lesser skilled players or people than can't pick out that effect as well (maybe a visual impairment) more than anything else.

Eggplant Squire fucked around with this message at 16:17 on Jul 18, 2017

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Gustav posted:

Bad players are always going to find some dumb supposedly unfair thing to complain about, be it full screen hadoukens, zergling rushes, counterspells, sniper rifles... Stealth heroes is as good as anything else.

What if we had Stealth Hero with a Sniper Rifle whose Ult is a Full-Screen Hadouken.

Fellatio del Toro
Mar 21, 2009

bamhand posted:

You can do way more work as Thrall or Kerrigan roaming around ganking people who are out of position. People are just blaming stealth to make themselves feel better. "I couldn't see the enemy hero come up to me while I was soloing that fort in an empty lane. There's just nothing I could have done to avoid being killed."

Perhaps they should also remove towers because they are killing people in AI games?

The fictional posters in your head sound like real bad players! I'm glad they don't post here, and instead people are discussing how a mechanic that can be more or less effective depending on your graphics settings is maybe not great design

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010

The fictional posters in your head sound like real bad players! I'm glad they don't post here, and instead people are discussing how a mechanic that can be more or less effective depending on your graphics settings is maybe not great design

Except it's not? Just google it. Some people say max settings work best. Some people say low settings work best. Some people say it's all the same. There's no clearcut answer and it varies from person to person. The difference, if it exists, is minimal.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

Just google all the discussion about how graphical settings affect the stealth mechanic to see how irrelevant graphical settings are to the stealth mechanic.

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010

No Wave posted:

Just google all the discussion about how graphical settings affect the stealth mechanic to see how irrelevant graphical settings are to the stealth mechanic.

Yes, most of the discussions end up saying the settings don't really matter or can't come up with any solid conclusion.

Hail Mr. Satan!
Oct 3, 2009

by zen death robot

If you guys like dumb mechanics taken from the old bad engine the game is built on that exist primarily to punish new/low skill players because it makes the veterans feel better then boy do I have a MOBA that you're gonna love!!

Yeah, all those Veteran players that play stealth heroes such as

Fellatio del Toro
Mar 21, 2009

frakeaing HAMSTER DANCE posted:

Yeah, all those Veteran players that play stealth heroes such as

Didn't say they play them! Just that the shimmer is easily spotted by high level players making it one of the sort of bad mechanics that DOTA players love and that probably shouldn't be in HOTS

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010
Not being out of position is also something high level players do that punishes new players. Maybe they should get rid of that too.

There is a small handful of stealth heroes in the game and none besides Zeratul are that great. It's not not a very big issue.

bamhand fucked around with this message at 16:42 on Jul 18, 2017

Hail Mr. Satan!
Oct 3, 2009

by zen death robot

Didn't say they play them! Just that the shimmer is easily spotted by high level players making it one of the sort of bad mechanics that DOTA players love and that probably shouldn't be in HOTS

Except it's not a bad mechanic? It's there so the stealther can't just hang out anywhere with no repercussions like an invisible hero could. And the game is FULL of things high level players understand that low level players don't/ That is literally any game ever.

Fellatio del Toro
Mar 21, 2009

bamhand posted:

Not being out of position is also something high level players do that punishes new players. Maybe they should get rid of that too.

There is a small handful of stealth heroes in the game and none besides Zeratul are that great. It's not not a very big issue.

No one said it was a big issue. Like most of these kinds of discussions in this thread, someone made a simple comment about something maybe not being the best design and suddenly there are two pages of dipshits who were set off by a single trigger word and needed to mash out a rant about bad players and the nonexistent posts they made about how overpowered stealth characters are.

Hail Mr. Satan!
Oct 3, 2009

by zen death robot

No one said it was a big issue. Like most of these kinds of discussions in this thread, someone made a simple comment about something maybe not being the best design and suddenly there are two pages of dipshits who were set off by a single trigger word and needed to mash out a rant about bad players and the nonexistent posts they made about how overpowered stealth characters are.

Because it's a total non-issue and the design is fine.

Fellatio del Toro
Mar 21, 2009

Because it's a total non-issue and the design is fine.

I think it's a minor issue that conflicts with the general design philosophy of HOTS but I respect your opinion

Hail Mr. Satan!
Oct 3, 2009

by zen death robot

I think it's a minor issue that conflicts with the general design philosophy of HOTS but I respect your opinion

Which design philosophy is that

KaoliniteMilkshake
Jul 9, 2010

Can we talk about a much more perplexing design decision, that the sales haven't rolled over or that Cho'gall is on sale for the second week in a row.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

The next sale is two epics anyways so it sucks.

Put Chromie on sale you cunts.

Fried Watermelon
Dec 29, 2008

KaoliniteMilkshake posted:

Can we talk about a much more perplexing design decision, that the sales haven't rolled over or that Cho'gall is on sale for the second week in a row.

gall was last week this week is Cho

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

Next hero to be revealed at HGC CN tomorrow, according to Chinese Not-Twitter.

Edit: Translations taken from Reddit.

quote:

Translated (direct):
The next hero will soon come to the space hub will be tomorrow after the end of the second HGC, release the picture so that we guess! Bastocov is famous ;) ;)
Translated - V2 (thanks /u/GlintXEvernight and /u/BearAshken):
The next hero will soon come to the Nexus, tomorrow after the end of the second HGC, pictures will be released so that we can guess! More famous than Stukov ;) ;)

Kith fucked around with this message at 17:23 on Jul 18, 2017

Semper Fudge
Feb 19, 2009

Pitchfork was wrong. (f)lowers of Algerbong is crap.
Blizz seems to be scratching some regulars off the community wishlist (DVa/Malthael/Stukov) so I'm gonna guess that it's gonna be Maiev

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

KelThuzad would be great, and Hearthstone is releasing a Frozen Throne expansion... I shouldn't get my hopes up too much.

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

I just can't wait for more screams of "ANOTHER WARCRAFT ASSASSIN BLIZZARD YOU LIED TO US".

lucifirius
Mar 7, 2016
Well it's not so much that I'm new or bad at the game (I'm not and I'm okay), it's that I generally play supports and getting burst down by a Valeera while your team is in the middle of getting destroyed by the other team isn't so fun. Other stealth heroes are alright to deal with if they don't have stuns or they have a big model that makes it easier to see the blur. The issue with stealth is that it's easier to be flanked by a stealth hero in the middle of a fight than it is by a hero completely visible.

beejay
Apr 7, 2002

All of the stealth heroes have the same size shimmer in stealth. Also Valeera can't really burst you from 100-0. Also how is your team getting destroyed 5v4 before Valeera shows up. What would you do differently if like Greymane flanked and jumped on you?

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Next hero will be Blackthorne.

E: or Snake, in a BattleTrak

beejay
Apr 7, 2002

If you wanna complain about stupid mechanics how about Protected

Hail Mr. Satan!
Oct 3, 2009

by zen death robot

beejay posted:

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games
Valeera, Zeratul, and Nova are all mediocre to bad across all skill levels in both Hero League and Quickplay.

Olaf The Stout
Oct 16, 2009

FORUMS NO.1 SLEEPY DAWGS MEMESTER

porfiria posted:

Valeera, Zeratul, and Nova are all mediocre to bad across all skill levels in both Hero League and Quickplay.

Good.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

porfiria posted:

And The Butcher is very high everywhere. The cool kids all call the Butcher bad though, so my programming is conflicted here.

However, to get an idea of how unreliable hots logs is, Cho allegedly has a 61.5% winrate at Masters and Gall allegedly has a 52% winrate. (I had no idea the site was that dire until now.)

No Wave fucked around with this message at 19:11 on Jul 18, 2017

Hail Mr. Satan!
Oct 3, 2009

by zen death robot

No Wave posted:

And The Butcher is very high everywhere. The cool kids all call the Butcher bad though, so my programming is conflicted here.

However, to get an idea of how unreliable hots logs is, Cho allegedly has a 61.5% winrate at Masters and Gall allegedly has a 52% winrate. (I had no idea the site was that dire until now.)

So your contention is that those heroes DO have a high win rate?

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

beejay posted:

What, you don't have stairs?

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund
Easy solution to stealth: Make them appear like the exact same shimmer on their own screen. No highlight, no blue crap, just a shimmer and a health bar. People would get the idea on what to look for by playing stealth heroes themselves.

That said, I don't find any stealth hero overly oppressive other than Valeera or Samuro, not because they actually punish you and kill you but they can effectively shut down solo laners with very little downtime since their escapes are effective.

Versus specific heroes they're also deadly as poo poo, namely Sylvanus and Azmo because neither of them is particularly hardy and they don't have good escapes, either.

This is if they're played WELL, mind you... they rarely are.

Paranoid Peanut
Nov 13, 2009

Deckard Cain when?

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

So your contention is that those heroes DO have a high win rate?
No, I don't think they do, but I don't think even or bad win rates make something a fun mechanic.

However, you're right, my post did imply that, and it's a stupid thing to imply and I only brought up the butcher because I have a chip on my shoulder about pvp game groupthink in general. It was unfocused and wrong.

Libertine
Jun 21, 2004

When I die, I hope they say I made the eSports industry a better place than I made millions of dollars.
Sylvanas has incredible escape. Every time I die on her I've made at least three major mistakes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

Paranoid Peanut posted:

Deckard Cain when?

His ultimate is story time.